Wii Compatible Broadband

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Comcast

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Ive looked this up online and stuff but there are things you just cant find out wihtout asking people.

does anyone have comcast high speed internet? If so how good is it and could you connect a Wii or one of the other new games systems to it?

Is it worth getting?
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Chase Man!
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Chase Man! » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:45 pm

I have Mr. Rabbit.

Well, I'm not sure as of speed, but you CAN connect your Wii to it though (not sure about the 360 or/and PS3). Also, now that I think about it, I haven't had any problems with it.

So, in my opinion, give it a free trial and form your own opinion. I mean, no problems with me, but your enjoyment might vary.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:11 pm

about how much would it cost?
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Chase Man!
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Chase Man! » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:about how much would it cost?

Well, don't quote on me, but it's $19.99 every month.

But, to really answer your question, do a google search. I'm afraid I can't really help you out on that. :(

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:44 pm

:: Mod ::

Moved to Off Topic.

:: /Mod ::
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Wii internect connection

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Im sorry to put this here but I have looked all over the nintendo website and it simply refuses to tell me. The wii instruction manual I have doesnt even mention the internet or connecting to it.

does anyone know the minimum broadband requirements for connecting the wii to the net. I only really want to use the store so if that helps any I dont know.

I know the expensive ones will work, but there are several cheap(ish) broadband connections I am looking at but Id like to know in advance if the wii will work with them. So if anyone can tell me what I need to know here Id appreciate it. I see a bunch of numbers and speeds next to the different connection types but it might as well be written in Klingon Id understand it just the same, and not only that but the nintendo website doesnt say anything about speed it just says broadband. Does this mean any will work?

(I apologize if Im breaking forum rules with this post but I really dont know where else to turn at this point)

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:42 pm

I have Comcast High Speed internet, but it's part of the triple play for $99 a month, and they don't break down the prices, so I can't tell you how much the internet costs. It's 19.99 a month for three months for the internet if you pay for just the internet, but once that's up it's $42.95 a month (http://www.comcast.com/shop/buyflow/def ... e=Internet).

I don't have any complaints, but I know once my twelve months of triple play is up, I'm switching to AT&T. AT&T also gives you a free wireless router, which is good if you intend of using the Wii to access it. Then again, I've only looked at AT&T's bundle package, so I'm not 100% sure if they include the router if you just buy their internet. I'd research both before making a decision.

As far as Comcast goes, I have mine connected to the wireless router, and the Wii has no trouble accessing it. I haven't tried the 360 on it yet, since I haven't found the motivation to invest in the wireless receiver for it/run a bunch of cables to it.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:29 pm

:: Mod ::

Sailormars Obsessed fan
I've merged "Wii internect connection" with your original "Comcast" thread and re-titled it, since it's essentially a means to the same end.

:: /Mod ::
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 am

sorry to cause so much mod trouble. I made them seperate because ive pretty much abandoned comcast (its interesting how they advertise a $20 service but when I call them they say their lowest is $40. Thats comical)

Anyway Im looking at verizon now since I already have their phone service. Ill copy and paste the deals Im looking at.

The one I am most able to get starts at $17.99 a month

It says this "Download up to 1 Mbps / Upload up to 384 Kbps"

I have no clue what that even means, and I cant find any numbers like this on the Wii website or in the instruction manual. Do any of you know if this is good enough?

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:36 am

I've got 3-6 Mbps download, and 256 Kbps Upload, and it runs pretty well most of the time. Mario Kart runs really well, but Super Smash Brothers runs very laggy, but it could also be the person/people that you are paired with.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:44 am

Slrjoecool wrote:I've got 3-6 Mbps download, and 256 Kbps Upload, and it runs pretty well most of the time. Mario Kart runs really well, but Super Smash Brothers runs very laggy, but it could also be the person/people that you are paired with.
I am getting the cheap verizon deal according to the person I talked too the wii should work ok.

Im not really going to bother with playing games online with people as Ive never been good at that anyway, but having access to the store and stuff like that would be enough

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:23 pm

Just to let you all know the broadband connection I got does work with the Wii. My brother brought his ethernet plug thing over today and it worked fine (why does it need a separate part for this. X-box doesnt? Does nintendo like ripping off their fans?)

Hopefully the one I ordered will arrive sometime soon.

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:26 am

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:Just to let you all know the broadband connection I got does work with the Wii. My brother brought his ethernet plug thing over today and it worked fine (why does it need a separate part for this. X-box doesnt? Does nintendo like ripping off their fans?)

X-box likes to rip off the customers too, just in a different way. Wii is already capable of wireless connectivity, while X-box is the opposite, and you have to pay big bucks if you want the wireless connectivity. I don't know how much Wii's ethernet plug runs, though.

Maybe the PS3 is the only innocent one when it comes to connectivity. :)

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:01 am

wink568 wrote:
Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:Just to let you all know the broadband connection I got does work with the Wii. My brother brought his ethernet plug thing over today and it worked fine (why does it need a separate part for this. X-box doesnt? Does nintendo like ripping off their fans?)

X-box likes to rip off the customers too, just in a different way. Wii is already capable of wireless connectivity, while X-box is the opposite, and you have to pay big bucks if you want the wireless connectivity. I don't know how much Wii's ethernet plug runs, though.

Maybe the PS3 is the only innocent one when it comes to connectivity. :)
that might be true but with the insane prices and them forcing blue ray on people. Id hardly say PS3 is innocent :P

ilovethesailorsenshi
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by ilovethesailorsenshi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:18 am

as far as I know, any internet service will work to connect a console to the internet... my wii is connected via the AT&T router.

About price, I don't know since my parents pay for cable and phone along with the internet... but I'd say it's somewhere around 20 dollars a month. Maybe more considering the service rep told my parents phone and internet are "practically free" with the cable.
... i dunno what to say, i''m sorry

(I''m more like hotaru... thus the avatar change)

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:
that might be true but with the insane prices and them forcing blue ray on people. Id hardly say PS3 is innocent :P
Touche. :D

Then again, I decided to choose X-box over the PS3, since I heard FF13 was coming out on both.

Gotta love the Wii, though. Everybody Votes is the most addictive way to use that thing online.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:34 pm

I got my Wii cord thingie and can connect it to the net anytime now :)