The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Post by Aya Reiko » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:09 am

Three words describe this series...

Pure.
Awesomeness.
Incarnate.

Before reading any further, I suggest watching the first episode. Otherwise I'll spoil part of what makes episode 1 so good.

. . .

. . .

As to the story itself. It's about the adventures of a high school girl generally earns above average grade, excels at nearly every sport and club activity, is very good looking...

... and is bat-shit insane.

Her introduction of herself to the class is, "I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travellers, dimensional travellers, or espers here, come join me. That is all!" And she means every word of that.

Instead of joining any of the clubs, she forms the S.O.S. Brigade, which is short for "Sekai wo Ooini moriagerutame no Suzumiya haruhi no dan." (trans.: "Haruhi Suzumiya's brigade to make the world a much livelier place.") The clubs membership includes:

Haruhi
Kyon - An ordinary guy who gets dragged into Haruhi's escapades. Accidentally gave Haruhi the idea of forming her own club.
Mikuru - Cute, large breasted girl who Haruhi literally dragged into joining her club. Haruhi's sole reason for having Mikuru join her club is because, according to Haruhi, in every story where something strange happens, there's always a alluring, cute character present.
Yuki - Originally the sole member of the Literary Club before Haruhi took over Literary Club's room. Usually sits in the corner reading a book.
Itsuki - A "mysterious transfer student" who usually watches events as they unfold.

And finally, the show's ED
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:54 am

I watched the first three episodes in fansub, and the show definitely has potential. Especially the first episode, parts of which I found quite. . . humorous. (get it? humorous?)

The big question I have now is [spoiler]are Haruhi and Yuki really aliens or not? I'm hoping no. If they are, then it makes the "normal humans" look weak by comparison. I'd much rather see them just be odd girls who like to role play all the time. I knew a girl like that, claimed to be a Martian, never tried to prove her wrong. At the very least, I hope they leave it ambiguous until the end. Of course if they are, then what was with the talking cat in episode 1 ("That was ventriloquism.")?[/spoiler]
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

supersailorearth
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by supersailorearth » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:27 pm

Does anybody have ANY idea on when the second season is supposed to come out? Its been in the making how many years now?

SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:42 pm

Sounds good! I'll think i'll watch.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:07 pm

I have avoided the spoilers in this thread so far.

I really want to see this anime if for no reason then thats a really cute school girl with the yellow ribbon lol
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:15 pm

supersailorearth wrote:Does anybody have ANY idea on when the second season is supposed to come out? Its been in the making how many years now?
Two, almost three years. It won't come out this spring since KyoAni is airing Munto (does anybody watch that?). I don't want to give up hope, but they keep jerking us around so much....
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:39 pm

No clue.

However, Kadokawa has been "airing" Haruhi-chan and Churuya-san with and without English subs over at YouTube.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:29 pm

After reading this post, I decided to read some of the manga and it is pretty good so far. Im not to far into it, but so far I like it.

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:00 am

I definately liked the first season, can't wait for the second.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!