Not to criticize, but . . . .

Discussion of any of the other sections of the site can be discussed here, as well as anything regarding these forums themselves.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

purplefeltangel
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Not to criticize, but . . . .

Post by purplefeltangel » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:22 pm

Dan -- I am so grateful that you're getting so many comparisons up right now. I really appreciate your hard work, especially since you have to run the server, take notes for the comparisons, and then write the comparisons.

But in the updates section, you always say that there will be another comparison "tomorrow" or "this week"or "this weekend," and well, there almost never is. Wouldn't it make a bit more sense to just say "soon" or "when I can" or not anything at all? It's kind of mean to get people's hopes up. Just saying. :D

Keep up the good work~! :D

~Elizabeth

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: Not to criticize, but . . . .

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:08 pm

purplefeltangel wrote: subject: not to criticize, but . . . .
But nothing. You ARE criticizing. Criticism isn't always a bad thing. But it's very contradictory to say "I'm not criticizing..." and then go ahead and criticize. Adding stuff like "not to be insulting..." or "not to criticize.." is really pretty pointless when you actually end up doing the thing you're claiming not to do.
purplefeltangel wrote:Dan -- I am so grateful that you're getting so many comparisons up right now. I really appreciate your hard work, especially since you have to run the server, take notes for the comparisons, and then write the comparisons.
I'm going to stop you right there. Why wasn't this enough? We love compliments. We love when a visitor has it in them to simply just compliment what we're doing. When you compliment before you get ready to criticize or rip into what someone is or isn't doing, all it does is water down the praise. Now it makes it seem like you're just saying that to kiss ass before you drop the initial bomb of your message.
purplefeltangel wrote: But in the updates section, you always say that there will be another comparison "tomorrow" or "this week"or "this weekend," and well, there almost never is. Wouldn't it make a bit more sense to just say "soon" or "when I can" or not anything at all? It's kind of mean to get people's hopes up. Just saying. :D
....And it's Dan's or anybody else's jobs to be sure that nobody's hopes get up? Should people be so obsessed with our comparisons that Dan has to make sure that their hopes of the week aren't up becuase he didn't put the comparison up EXACTLY when he said he would? I think that's a little sad.

We love that we have visitors that return on a regular basis. But to actually be so disappointed by the lack of comparison that you're asking Dan to go out of his way to be sure that his words won't sadden anybody....*shakes head*

It's a website. Dan has a life. And as one of Dan's best friends, I know that up until VERY recently, his life has been stressful and busy. He has a job. He has a girlfriend. He's struggling to make ends meet. It isn't mean that the comparison he lightly said might arrive tomorrow doesn't. It's human. If he can't make the deadline he made for himself...tough. Deal with it, move on, and come back in a week or so to see if he has posted something.

Thank you.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Re: Not to criticize, but . . . .

Post by Sylphiel » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:00 pm

Tiff wrote:....And it's Dan's or anybody else's jobs to be sure that nobody's hopes get up? Should people be so obsessed with our comparisons that Dan has to make sure that their hopes of the week aren't up becuase he didn't put the comparison up EXACTLY when he said he would? I think that's a little sad.

We love that we have visitors that return on a regular basis. But to actually be so disappointed by the lack of comparison that you're asking Dan to go out of his way to be sure that his words won't sadden anybody....*shakes head*

It's a website. Dan has a life. And as one of Dan's best friends, I know that up until VERY recently, his life has been stressful and busy. He has a job. He has a girlfriend. He's struggling to make ends meet. It isn't mean that the comparison he lightly said might arrive tomorrow doesn't. It's human. If he can't make the deadline he made for himself...tough. Deal with it, move on, and come back in a week or so to see if he has posted something.

Thank you.

...yeah.

As Tiff said, he's busy. He works full time at the Bell and just got a promotion. He's trying to get some money to possibly go back to school. He has an apartment to take care of. Phobos and the internet at his house have been acting up so he often comes home to having to deal with that right away after work... not fun. He works on a ton of things for the site behind the scenes that you as a viewer don't see. And on top of everything less fun, he has friends and a social life and we spend a lot of time together.

Not to mention that he's the only one doing them now with Bob gone...

Please don't criticize (cause as Tiff said, you did) my boyfriend for trying the best he can. Because I assure you he is. :D
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

purplefeltangel
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by purplefeltangel » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:24 pm

Okay, I'm definitely not saying that he should drop everything to get comparisons up faster. I really appreciate all the hard work he does. I'm just saying that maybe he shouldn't make promises he can't keep. The current frequency of comparisons is fine by me, as long as they're getting done.

Edit: By the way, this is completely off-topic, but how do you edit your profile? :D

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanx Tiff and Kait for those words. They pretty much got all the bases covered so I won't repeat anything they already said. But as for the making promises thing, I do no such thing. Maybe the wording of my last update can be questioned, but I only say such things when it looks pretty good of me getting something I want to done. As it's been said, things happen, and did. If you must know, this past Thursday when I was hoping to get one done, I happened to spend a lot more time cleaning than I had thought (actually rearranged my room quite a bit in the process) which was most of the day, so I didn't get to it. Today was my backup day for getting another one done, but I didn't know my brother was coming home for the weekend and I brought him up to my place to spend time with him and had to bring him back to our parents', spent time there, etc. I really don't see how me stating when it looks highly possible for me to get more things done and then not is such a big deal. A year or two ago I could understand, but nowadays where lots is getting done on a semi-regular basis and updates are getting made more frequently, I just fail to see that.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

purplefeltangel
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by purplefeltangel » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:04 pm

Thank you for responding. :D I know your life is busy and that things don't always go as planned. I am fully aware of that and I really have no problem with it. It just seems like whenever you give a date for the next comparison, you never manage to meet it, so I thought maybe it would make more sense to stop giving yourself a deadline.

After all, if you're not thinking, "oh I promised on the updates section that I would have a comparison by Monday!!" you might feel less pressure and things might get done even faster. :)

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:54 pm

purplefeltangel wrote:Edit: By the way, this is completely off-topic, but how do you edit your profile? :D
Click Profile at the top of the screen, then click Profile again in the tabs that come up. There is your info and the stuff for Signature, Avatar, etc.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

purplefeltangel
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by purplefeltangel » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:23 pm

Thank you. ^__^

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:04 pm

I agree with purplefeltangel. Her intentions weren't to stress anyone out but to help you guys. Why put pressure on yourselves if you dont have to?

To tell you the truth, it wouldn't be a bad idea for you guys to take hiatus and I know alot of us wouldn't mind (I've been here for an hour...). Ypu guys do an awesome job and we want you at your best :)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:12 pm

Panda wrote:I agree with purplefeltangel. Her intentions weren't to stress anyone out but to help you guys. Why put pressure on yourselves if you dont have to?

To tell you the truth, it wouldn't be a bad idea for you guys to take hiatus and I know alot of us wouldn't mind (I've been here for an hour...). Ypu guys do an awesome job and we want you at your best :)
We never sai dher intentions were to stress us out. We're just tired of hearing the same thing over and over. We've already explained ourselves. Read it, and please move on.

Please stop beating the same dead horse. it's really getting old.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~