Why, oh why, all the sequels!?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Why, oh why, all the sequels!?

Post by Jed-kun » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:44 pm

I noticed that a lot of people hate sequals, especially the "straight to video" ones. And I felt compeld to start a topic about it after I viewd a comercial for 'the straw that broke the camels back'.
This straw was "Bring It On... AGAIN!"... ew!
So, just disscuss why we hate the sequals [this includes prequels after the original and 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.] and why, oh why, they even decided to make them.
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:15 am

I hate the sequals that just take the characters from an good movie and then just turn it to junk.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:31 am

I find some sequels to be cute. Like it they really add to the storyline. However there are others that just seem to go downhill.

The Land Before Time movie itself was very endearing. However, it just kept going and going with sequels. I think if it was that loved by people, it probably should have just made it into a tv series and by passed the sequels altogether.

I do agree with the Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Christmas comment that was made in the other thread. That just really had no real place in the timeline for it to make any real sense.

Basically to answer the question of why, my guess is that it goes back to the saying of 'if it works, run with it'. And if something is a smash hit then people feel the need to continue it because it worked the first time. Although sequels don't often have the same magic and mystery that made it work the first time. Plus the writing staff for the sequel might be different. I'm not sure though.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:49 pm

Straight to video sequels go straight to video for a reason...no sane human being would pay $8 in a movie theater to see this rushed, poorly made stuff. Disney especially is a main culprit in this: did we honestly need another Pocahontas movie? Or a sequel to Hunchback to Notre Dame, which shouldn't exist anyway since everyone died at the end of the original book? No, we didn't.

Then again, I also don't think The Brave Little Toaster deserved the sub-par sequels it had, but that's just me. And the original movie was so cute and funny, too *sniff*
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Anna Roz
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Anna Roz » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:10 pm

And it seems with alot of the Disney sequels, the animation seems to get crappier (especially if they're direct to video) as well as the plot lines. I don't think the Lion King, Beauty and The Beast, Cinderella, Little Mermaid, and all those other movies even NEEDED a single sequel, they just wrapped it up nicely, which unfortunately didn't last long, since Disney began pulling ideas for bad sequels out of their arses. For other sequels besides Disney, the "Star Wars" prequels have been pretty bad. When the Phantom Menace first came out, my younger brother practically dragged me to the theater to see it. All he seemed to care about was the lightsabers and Darth Maul. Meanwhile, I sat bored out of my skull and wondering how Hollywood could get away with releasing such boring movies. When Attack Of The Clones came out, it was the same thing. Bored, bored, BORED. Although I mentioned this in another thread, I think it's pointless that they're making a sequel to "The Goonies". And there has been a rumor for years that's been starting to grow in popularity that they'll be making a sequel or a remake to the 1987 flick "The Lost Boys". I just hope that's not true, and will never be true, in my opinion. I think some films should be left as they are, and "Lost Boys" is one of them, "Goonies" being another. Some classic movies should stay classics, as don't need sequels, but companies like Disney tend to think the other way..*cough cough* it's about the money *cough*

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:17 pm

Sequels can make or break anything, especially in video games.

For example, the Tomb Raider games went downhill after the third game.

And if you're familiar with Treasure, you may know about its famed "No Sequel" policy. And, no, Ikaruga is not a true sequel, but rather a spiritual sequel, to Radiant Silvergun.

I forgot to mention that this is kind of off-topic.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:20 pm

n/a
Last edited by peachvampiress on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady of the Light
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Lady of the Light » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:05 pm

Why all the stupid sequels? It's because the first movies made money. Lots and lots of money. So all those brilliant movie directors out there decided that they would like to have just a little more money, so they decide to make another movie, to make more money. People payed to see it the first time, then they'll do it again, right?

I think that it's the focus on making money that's the reason for these movies to be short, rushed, and stupid. They don't want to put the time and effort into it, they just want the cash. At least, that's my view.

And I was so disappointed with the Beauty and the Beast sequel. I was little, and I wanted so desperately to see Beauty and her Prince in a new life together. My hopes were crushed when I found out that he was still the beast. :cry:
Mr. James : Lost a satellite on liftoff today.
Dave : Cost?
Mr. James : 10 million dollars.
Dave : Result?
Mr. James : Extreme set back.
Dave : Milk?
Mr. James : Spilled.
Dave : Gonna cry about it?
Mr. James : Not even.
Dave : I''m sitting on a rather sharp tack.
Mr. James : That's gotta hurt.
Dave : Well, life's a bitch...
Mr. James : ...And then you die.
Dave : My...
Mr. James : ...oh...
Dave : ...my.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:20 pm

As I said earlier, the Neverending Story sequels. Then again, My book supremacist mode is really kicking into high gear here.

Also: while the first Power Rangers movie wasn't too bad (I'm an up-and-coming Sentai fan, ok?), the Turbo movie was terrible. In this case, the show was based on the Japanese show Carranger, only all that survived were their cars (renamed the Turbo Zords). After all, how exactly do you market a self-parody towards kids?
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:26 am

I don't understand why Disney needs to make all those sequels, either. They just all seem corny to me. The only Disney sequel I ever liked was "The Rescuers' Down Under" because that had some really good animation and a pretty decent plot. I actually liked that movie better than the first Recuers' movie. I also agree that the prequels to the Star Wars movie trilogy is stupid and boring. The old Star Wars had something for everyone of all ages, but the new Star Wars feels like it's something that's just for kids. Plus, Jar-Jar Binks really annoys me.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:34 pm

n/a
Last edited by peachvampiress on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:18 am

Spent some time thinking of it...

The Scary movies u_u;;;;;;;

I mean, first movie was OK. It was funny, the "rules" were funny, wasn't the best movie of all times, but it was "good enough".

Now, I think I remember reading a rule about "no sequels"... yeah... and there comes the second movie, supposed-to-be-dead characters come back, most of the scenes are just plain gross...

I haven't seen the third one and people say it's better, but even with that, no way I'm going to see it >.<

Hadn't they said "no sequels" in their rules, maybe I wouldn't have reacted like that (but the poor quality of the second movie made me think this anyway u_u )
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

DarkStarz212
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by DarkStarz212 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:07 pm

I can't stand sequels either. Espescially Disney one's that everyone else is commenting on. The only really good sequel to me, though, was Toy Story 2. I thought that was really cute and I didn't even like the first one that much. I think that Disney and Pixar did a great job with that one. So some sequels are pretty decent. Some...
~Life is a terrible thing to sleep through~

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:54 am

DreamEmpress wrote:
I do agree with the Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Christmas comment that was made in the other thread. That just really had no real place in the timeline for it to make any real sense.
That was me ^^; and that's something tha tgets to me about sequels..it seems Disney is one of the biggest "do-ers" of this, too: sequels that have NO PLACE in the timeline. They're just idiotic made-for-video shows that have the original characters, give no reference to the endings of the first movies, and just have plots on their own. WTF?

Some sequels, as some of you pointed are, were decent...such as the Rescuers Down Under. it was cute, and actually made sense.

The horror movie sequels are getting out of hand. Scream 3? I STILL Know what you did last summer? I love horror movies, but must the killer come back 19 times?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:38 pm

I didn't like the Toy Story 2 sequel, not 'cause it wasn't a good movie, but because it was just depressing. I mean [spoiler]kid's grow up and dump there toy's on the side of the road so you might as well abandon them first. I know that that wasn't how the ending was, but it was still possible 'cause "Andy" was still a child[/spoiler].
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:29 am

Tiff wrote:
DreamEmpress wrote:
That was me ^^; and that's something tha tgets to me about sequels..it seems Disney is one of the biggest "do-ers" of this, too: sequels that have NO PLACE in the timeline. They're just idiotic made-for-video shows that have the original characters, give no reference to the endings of the first movies, and just have plots on their own. WTF?

Some sequels, as some of you pointed are, were decent...such as the Rescuers Down Under. it was cute, and actually made sense.

The horror movie sequels are getting out of hand. Scream 3? I STILL Know what you did last summer? I love horror movies, but must the killer come back 19 times?
I agree on the Disney ones (Lion King 1-1/2? [Castle mode]Tell 'im 'e's dreamin'[/Castle mode]).

However, King of Thieves is a half decent edition (plus, it actually wraps the Aladdin story up).

I also think the horror movie sequels have wound down. Scream will have a tough time going for more rules, IKWYDLS can't have many more variants on the title and I doubt that Samara is going to come back another 5 times...
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:46 pm

I actually kinda want to see the Lion King 1 1/2, mostly because I wanna see what Simba was up to in the jungle, and admit it, it would be interesting to know Timon's backstory. I notice, tho, that in the previews, Timon and Pumbaa are running around in the Pridelands during the time of the first movie. I don't know if this is just preview tricks or if those are really in the movie. If they are, they ruin it, because I always got the impression that Timon and Pumbaa had been in the jungle for quite some time before Simba showed up.
I doubt that Samara is going to come back another 5 times...
Actually, there is a Ring 2 in the works, I'm told. It sounds rather redundant, tho, if you think about it.

Oh, and there's a 4th Crow movie gonna be released. The first one was enough. However, there are a *ton* of Crow graphic novel/comics, so...I guess it's sort of ok.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:53 pm

Some squels can be okayish if they flowwl on wiht what happned after the frist moive endedd etc or a good story line sadly most don't
crazydiamond wrote:
Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:I doubt that Samara is going to come back another 5 times...
Actually, there is a Ring 2 in the works, I'm told. It sounds rather redundant, tho, if you think about it.
By rights there should be 3 more The Ring moives if they are based on Ring ( I think peole should see this if only to compare the 2 moives) whihc has 3, Ring Ring 2 and Ring Brithday or read the blinking Mnaga and or book's wihc ever you want
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:48 am

crazydiamond wrote:
I wrote:I doubt that Samara is going to come back another 5 times...

Oh, and there's a 4th Crow movie gonna be released. The first one was enough. However, there are a *ton* of Crow graphic novel/comics, so...I guess it's sort of ok.
Actually, Ringu 2 added stuff to the story. And when I said 5 times, I meant 5 times. There's only so much you can do with Samara.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:31 pm

I think the original version of the the Ring had a few sequels...

And there are some sequels I like. For example, I like An American Tail: Feivel Goes West far better than I did the first movie (which I barely remember).

And the Lion King 1 1/2 does sound kind of interesting, actually.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot