LARPing

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

LARPing

Post by wink568 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Okay, so here's a question for everybody. It may be out there, but considering many of you have experience RPing online, or tabletop... Does anybody LARP? If you don't, is it something you'd consider?

Me, I'm guilty... I never thought I'd be into it, as I figured it was too out there, but then Kiel convinced me to go once, since the first event was free, and I've been hooked ever since. I started last year, and can't wait for things to get going this year. The events are a little more than a month apart in the summer. We start Friday night and go until Sunday morning. In the winter, we usually have a one day event, as well.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:15 pm

I used to be in a few table top gaming groups and they all told me about the horrors of LARPing so I was naturally turned off by it.

However I do admit it sound like it could be a lot of fun if you get a group of people who know how to behave properly to play.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:04 pm

I myself was never interested in it, but I knew people who were. My ex-boyfriend was into it for a while, but I think a lack of time for it and waning interest in any case caused him to stop. Someone else I once knew got into it to the point of becoming so obsessed with his game that he started letting it take over his life. He doesn't do anything else with his Saturdays now except spend literally all day at his game, and then complains about how he has no free time to do anything.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 am

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:I used to be in a few table top gaming groups and they all told me about the horrors of LARPing so I was naturally turned off by it.

However I do admit it sound like it could be a lot of fun if you get a group of people who know how to behave properly to play.
sorry I was a bit harsh there. I should have said that they had bad experiences with it. Dont think thats means all LARP is bad.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:25 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote: sorry I was a bit harsh there. I should have said that they had bad experiences with it. Dont think thats means all LARP is bad.
I don't think you sounded harsh. I've heard some really bad things about some LARPs. I think the smaller a group, the better it is. The groups I participate in are a smaller number of people, maybe 30ish, and we get to know each other pretty well, which makes a more comfortable gaming experiance.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:27 pm

I've only been in two, both held at Project A-kon in Dallas. They were anime-based, and I played Sailor Pluto. It was fun, but only because I had friends with me and such. It's not something I'd probably do again or on a regular basis...I'm not that great an actress, and it's harder for me to do tabletop or live action RP than it is for me to write and RP online.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~