Twilight

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Twilight

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:00 pm

Are there any fans of the Twilight book series here? I've read the first book and so far I think it's a so-so book. I don't think it's horrible but I don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread either. My biggest complaint about the first book is that Bella is a Mary Sue and sometimes I feel like Meyer drags out the scenes where Bella obsesses over Edward far longer than neccessary. But I love the humor in the book and I think it picks up towards the end when Bella starts doing other things other than obsessing over Edward. My favorite character so far is Rosalie because she's like the only one who doesn't automatically like Bella and she has the most interesting personality of the characters. I'm still undecided if I should read the rest of the series or not. If I can find cheaply priced paperback copies for the last two books, I might just go ahead and read them since it's only three volumes long, but I'm still not sure. I'll probably just wait for the movie to be released on DVD to see it. What are your thoughts about Twilight? Do you love or hate the series and are the rest of the books worth reading?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:17 pm

If you think Bella is a Mary Sue NOW, wait until the third and fourth books. Seriously, it's why I had to stop reading.

I enjoyed the first one. I even mostly enjoyed the second one. By the third one, I was wary...it was beginning to get a little ridiculous. I couldn't even finish the fourth one. It was that bad. Bella became this ridiculous character who was just....omg super superior. It drove me insane. It's really hard for me to enjoy something if I can't stand the main character, and enough was enough.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:11 pm

I consider myself a fan of the series, but not to the point of being a total fangirl over it. I think it was actually a very good series all the way to the end, and I think that it's worth the read. And I liked the movie, because unlike a lot of book-to-movie adaptations, I thought this one turned out pretty well.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:03 am

I've heard both good and bad reviews of Twilight so I wanted to read for myself to form my own opinion of it. My opinion is that I'm really not enjoying it. I got halfway through the first book and quit. I know a lot of people liked it and I know that things might pick up later chapters, but I just don't have the heart to finish it.

Several factors made me not like this book. One is a personal opinion about the writing, which I'm not going to get into here.

I did not like any of the characters, main or supporting. They all just bugged the hell out of me. A lot of the chapters just seemed to drag out. I'll fully admit that I'm probably just impatient when it comes to book plots. Since I generally knew what the book was about I wanted it to get to certain points at a faster rate than it was going. So, it felt like things were going slow, but as I said it could just be me. It's hard to make that call.

If I had to read one more damn time about how OMG BEAUTIFUL Edward was I was going to burn the book. I understand that in Meyer's vision vampires are supposed to be breathtaking, but I don't need to read about it several times in almost every chapter. I think out of everything in the book so far that it's Bella's obsession with Edward's beauty is was turned me off the most. I just got so sick and tired of reading about it.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:28 am

I personally havent touched these books and don't see any reason to change my mind in the future.

Vampires are an over done subject and quite frankly (with the exception of the Buffy series and the whitewolf Vampire RPG) they bore me.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:13 am

Tempest wrote:
If I had to read one more damn time about how OMG BEAUTIFUL Edward was I was going to burn the book. I understand that in Meyer's vision vampires are supposed to be breathtaking, but I don't need to read about it several times in almost every chapter. I think out of everything in the book so far that it's Bella's obsession with Edward's beauty is was turned me off the most. I just got so sick and tired of reading about it.
LMAO Seriously.

For me, it was constantly hearing about how OMG SUPERIOR Bella was. You probably didn't get that far, since you only read half of the first book. But by the third book? Dear god.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:15 am

I think Twilight parody says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avYwLZ1ixJ4
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:28 am

I'm only in chapter 8 in the first book. Bella is decent, although so far I don't get the big deal over Edward. So far I've found him cocky, but meh he better change. I also agree about Bella every five seconds going OMG HIS SKIN!!! HIS EYES!!! AHHHH!!! I seriously want to kick Meyer in the ass for doing that. Uggghhh and some obssesive fangirls just creep me out and go OMG I LOVE EDWARD I WILL NO LONGER DATE REAL GUYS!!! I ONLY WANT EDWARD!!! o_0 seriously....wow. At some points I feel Edward similar to Mamoru from Sailor Moon. But I just have to keep reading.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:39 pm

I actually love this series, though I do admit that Bella is painted as a little too perfect. I actually like Stephenie's writing style. I find it simple to understand, but still intelligent. Edward is dwelled upon a little to much, but I think that's only because the series is written from Bella's perspective. She is a teenage girl "in love." She's going to think about him a lot. You'll find Bella is dwelled upon in Midnight Sun (Edward's version of Twilight) for the same reason. I liked most of the supporting characters (not really as people, but as characters), as they actually reminded me of people I know. Mike is my friend Landon, and Eric is just like my friend Michael. I am not a huge fan of Jacob, but I see why he's necessary. The only things I really don't like are the fangirls that ruin it with "OMGOMGOMG Edward is so HAWT!!!" and the fact that if you try to explain the plot to someone, it comes out sounding stupid even though it's not. "It's about this girl who falls in love with this vampire...etc..." just is a turnoff to most people... I would just like to say...I <3<3<3 Carlisle and Jasper.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:49 pm

I love Twilight :)
And I can admit that most of the criticism against it is prefectly valid. The writing is simple, Bella is obnoxious, it's sappy and unrealistic, ect. I love it anyway. Not all books need to be intellectually challenging or complex. I like Twilight because it's a simple love story with a really hot guy :D

And because I'm a hopeless romantic and eat all that sappy shit up. I'm just a sucker for romance stories.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:58 am

I'm a hopeless romantic, and enjoy sub-par books for pure amusement (come on, I've been collecting the babysitter's club and reading it. You can't get more unintelligent than that =P), and I couldn't even enjoy this. I think it's just because by the last book, it sounded so much like a fanfic written by an over-enthusiastic Mary Sue...and I can go online and find some of those for free.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:39 am

For me, I can sort of see why Twilight is so popular with teenage girls. It's like romantic escapism, but I don't see why Twilight is popular with so many older readers, too. Like I've heard some people say Twilight is the next Harry Potter and I fail to see why. With Harry Potter, part of what made the books so enjoyable for me was that the books were timeless and could be enjoyed by readers of all ages. Twilight seems to be more strictly written for teenage girls only. That, and I don't understand what's so hot about Edward. But then I think Buffy The Vampire Slayer is way better than Twilight.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:03 pm

I think that what's so hot about Edward is the fact that he's painted to look that way. And I think that this fandom is no different from any other. Yes, the books are aimed at a certain age group, but they're also written where anyone reading them can enjoy them if that's the type of story they like.

And I'm with Aishiteru on Bella's obsession with Edward. What teenage girl at one point or another hasn't obsessed over a guy she liked? For those interested, you can go here to read Edward's point of view on everything. He was, in fact, obsessing over her, too.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:07 pm

jupiter23 wrote: And I'm with Aishiteru on Bella's obsession with Edward. What teenage girl at one point or another hasn't obsessed over a guy she liked? For those interested, you can go here to read Edward's point of view on everything. He was, in fact, obsessing over her, too.
Eh. I didn't.

But I wasn't the typical teenaged girl, either. Therefore, reading about her obsession grated on my nerves.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:36 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:For me, I can sort of see why Twilight is so popular with teenage girls. It's like romantic escapism, but I don't see why Twilight is popular with so many older readers, too. Like I've heard some people say Twilight is the next Harry Potter and I fail to see why. With Harry Potter, part of what made the books so enjoyable for me was that the books were timeless and could be enjoyed by readers of all ages. Twilight seems to be more strictly written for teenage girls only. That, and I don't understand what's so hot about Edward. But then I think Buffy The Vampire Slayer is way better than Twilight.
Same here. My mother's friend actually read all of the series and it's one of her favorite books. I don't think Twilight is the next Harry Potter, they've been saying this with other series books (i.e. Twilight, Artemis Fowl) but it really hasn't been that way for now.

Tiff
Eh. I didn't.

But I wasn't the typical teenaged girl, either. Therefore, reading about her obsession grated on my nerves.
I think that would be the case with me right now. Although I still am a teenager I really have not been as obsessed as Bella with a guy. Honestly I like Jane Austen novels better, although Jane Austen should not be compared to Twilight.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:04 am

Artemis Fowl. <3
Tiff wrote: Eh. I didn't.

Neither was I. I never really developed crushes or had romantic day dreams about boys, much less became obsessed with another person on that level. It was just never one of my interests growing up. It's still not, even now. I'm all up for a romantic relationships in books and stories, but reading constantly about how perfectly beautiful Edward is has been a turn off. And everything that I'm reading indicates obsession, not romance. Like I mentioned in my original post, I've only read half of the first book. Things could change later on, but right now that's how it is to me.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not impressed with Bella's character. There really isn't anything unique about her that I can read. Nothing about her personality that grabs me or that I can identify with. It's the reason that I next to never read books with female protagonists. I never seem to find anything to identify me to them. But I still pick them up once in a while on the off chance that I find that one female lead that speaks to me. :(

Oh well.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:47 am

Tempest wrote:
To be perfectly honest, I'm not impressed with Bella's character. There really isn't anything unique about her that I can read. Nothing about her personality that grabs me or that I can identify with. It's the reason that I next to never read books with female protagonists. I never seem to find anything to identify me to them. But I still pick them up once in a while on the off chance that I find that one female lead that speaks to me. :(

Oh well.
*Nods* I felt the same way. She seemed so generic, so vapid and one-dimensional. I just couldn't stand her.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Okay I have finished Twilight officially and here are my official thoughts on it:
[spoiler] Well the first half for me was dull. I really did not give a fuck about Bella's high school life and Edward annoyed me the first half of the book too. Just when I was going to give up on the book, I keep reading to see if it will get interesting...for me it did. Once Bella ditched the friends (I didn't really like her friends to be honest) and started hanging around Edward a little more, things got interesting. The second half to me was more exciting than the first half. Especially the part when Bella thinks her mom is held hostage and she goes to save her. Then the bad vampire James (was that his name? I forget) is attacking her then Edward comes and saves the day that was so awesome. So I did enjoy reading Twilight, I am going to continue the series. Although I hear New Moon is a bit depressing. [/spoiler]

There's my two cents...in spoiler because I don't want others to have the same fate as me....someone actually spoiled me the whole series which is why I have put off reading it.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:00 pm

I just bought Twilight the other day because I was curious as to why it's so popular. I haven't finished it yet but I am finding it enjoyable, or at least I was up until the chapter where Bella and Edward were in the field together then it just got way too sickly sweet for me.

And I have to agree that Bella is one of the most annoying characters in a book when she obsesses over Edward. Other than that I like her. The character who really annoys me is Mike with his constant moaning about Bella and Edward and who can't seem to pull himself away from Bella for five seconds.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:04 pm

I read the first book before it really became big. It was pretty "meh". I couldn't stand Bella for a second. She was beyond a Mary-Sue. At times, it felt like this whole this was SMeyer's wet dream.
The other books were even worse.

But to me, nothing is worse than the ultra-rabid Twi-tard fanbase. D:
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt