What is your favorite language other than your own?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

What is your favorite language other than your own?

Post by Alexclow345 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Mine has to be Spanish. It's very easy to learn.

I'm sorry, I forgot a word in the topic title. Silly me.
Last edited by Alexclow345 on Mon May 26, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Mon May 26, 2008 9:44 pm

I am semi-trilingual. In high school I took three years of Spanish and could speak it pretty decently then. In college I took two years of Japanese and was starting to get a decent grasp on it near the end of the last semester, but sadly only four semesters were offered. Even more sadly there's no opportunity for me to practice. I am at a point where I can be watching subbed anime and know what's going on if I miss a few lines, though not be able to translate it in my head. ^^;;; I'd like to learn more or at least find a way to practice what I know as my main hobbies and aspirations have their origins in Japan.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon May 26, 2008 9:54 pm

I love the way Italian is spoken. It just sounds like a beautiful language...I'd like to maybe learn it someday.

I also love Spanish, and enjoyed speaking it back when I took two years of it in High school. Sadly, I haven't been able to use it in years, so I can barely speak it. I can understand and read it pretty well, though.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon May 26, 2008 10:08 pm

MarioKnight
I'd like to learn more or at least find a way to practice what I know as my main hobbies and aspirations have their origins in Japan.
You should go to Limewire and download Amazon.com and buy the Pimsleur language programs. I've downloaded legally accquired a bunch of the lessons and it's amazing how much I found myself retaining. It's all audio based though, so you might have to do what I did and buy a note book and write it all down so you know how to spell the words to.

As effective as it is though, it's really not worth the $200-$300 price, so I'd recommend Limewire getting it used at a reduced price.

In all seriousness, download it because you'll feel really cheated if you pay more then $60 for it.

As for me, I've been learning Japanese for about five years (useful, conversational Japanese, not "How to sing the Evangelion theme" Japanese). The pimsleur lessons I've got have really helped me a lot to.

I've also started teaching myself Italian (pimsleur again) because I'd like to work in Venice someday, but it's very minimal right now, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to pronounce certain words.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Tue May 27, 2008 4:18 am

A lot of people have ambition on here. Always good to hear!

Well, I took two years of French class in high school. I could write it really good, but speaking was a whole other matter. Pronoucing words was not my strong point. In fact, over the last 10 years, i've forgotten most of it. Except a word or two now and then.

Thanks to my mother who was an army brat, I learned a few words in German growing up. I can say stuff like, yes/no/please/thank you/your welcome/dummy/can you speak german?/get over here/sit and wait/mother/father/ect. some things like numbers i'm a bit foggy on.

I know three words in Chinese and i'm not even sure which language in that. I Love you, good-bye and hello. And even that much is thanks in part to Big Bird and a couple manga.

Now, putting aside the ones I kind of know....I'd really love to learn more Japanese. Frankly I find it to be a very lovely language. And far more expressive. I know a little from watching anime, but i'd really like to expand a whole lot more.

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Tue May 27, 2008 11:05 am

Other than my own language (Spanish) I really like French. Since I can already speak Spanish, French is slightly easier. I took 4 years of it in high school and forgot most of it but I still practice with the Haitians at work.

I also love Japanese and Portuguese. While I know very little of both, they sound real good to me.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Tue May 27, 2008 7:30 pm

I took two years of high school spanish, but didn't continue because I realized I really don't like it that much. I'd love to learn Japenese because it sounds so cute ^^ but I just don't have time in my schedual to take it in school. My parents are both fluent in Italian, but they never bothered to teach it to me, something I like to bug them about. I'd love to learn it too; maybe in college? I already know a bit, just from hearing it so often.
Actually, if I had all the time in the world, there's a bunch of languages I'd want to learn. I just think it'd be so cool to be able to go anywhere in the world and be able to communicate, even a little.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:31 pm

My first language is Spanish, I spoke mostly Spanish at home but when I started school in Kindergarten I had to learn English. I know a little French, but not a lot. I would like to learn Japanese, Chinese, German or Russian. :D Honestly, I wish I could speak every single language that exists but that's most likely not going to happen. :cry:
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:32 pm

yasashi--nihongo

Easy--Japanese. ^_^
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kasumi » Thu May 29, 2008 2:59 am

Hm, I like the Japanese and English language. That's about it. I enjoy German too, because it's so easy.
I never really had a thing for Spanish or Italian, because they are hard to learn if your own language is very close to it. Besides, I took Spanish and Italian and it was very confusing...
...Qui sême le vent, récolte la tempête...

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Thu May 29, 2008 12:10 pm

You should try Klingon!!! :lol:
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Thu May 29, 2008 6:11 pm

I would say my top 3 favorite languages are:

1) Spanish. I'm working on becoming fluent in Spanish, and in the area I live in, it would be a pretty handy skill to have.

2) Japanese. I only know a few words, but I do love the language. I also like saying "arigatou" and such to my Japanese friends, and having them laugh as they see I know a few words.

3) Russian. I just love how this language sounds. I know a few folks from Russia, and it's such a beautiful language to listen to.

And slightly OT, but I love the different spins on the "English" accent. My favorites are South African and New Zealand.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

demoneyeskyo87
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by demoneyeskyo87 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Spanish(I speak it but its kinda rusty)

Japanese(I am still studying it since I've taken classes of it, I speak it but not only its rusty but its not enough I can make conversation).

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:10 am

French because I did it for five years in high school. I know a few Japanese words but i'm far from being an expert or even being able to speak the language but I'd love to learn it.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:56 am

Princess Latona wrote:
2) Japanese. I only know a few words, but I do love the language. I also like saying "arigatou" and such to my Japanese friends, and having them laugh as they see I know a few words.
I do that too. I also like saying "an-nyeong" (Korean, fully "an-nyeong-ha-se-yo", meaning "hello", else "an-nyeong-ka-se-yo"/"an-nyeong-kka-se-yo", both meaning "goodbye"). I'll also do Swedish phrases like "hej", "hej då" and "Varför måste vi bo i fucking jävla-kuk Åmål?" as well as French (which I learned in high school) and German (which I never learned at all).
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:27 pm

For me I would say Spanish because I sound more sexy when I talk. :)
James and I are happily waiting to see our first born son on April 22, 2009!
Mrs. Green is happily married to her airman since May 10, 2008
"Gee, I never thought I had an effect on people until I was in Korea."~ Marilyn Monroe ~
"Not knowing of the dawn, not seeing the coming night, only my garnet eye crosses time, and I think of the people I love."~ Garnet Guardian from SM Memorial Song Box ~
"...the secret song of love is locked deep in my heart."~ Secret from SM Memorial Song Box ~

MySpace= add me!