Attitudes towards People With Disabilities

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:26 am

Tiff wrote:o.O how on earth did they make that mistake?
Quite easily, I imagine. When my mother was pregnant with me, several doctors told her that I was going to be born with severe mental and physical disabilities. I guess the tests back then weren't that good, even if it was only twenty years ago.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:26 pm

The only problem I have is that we only have one ADA compliant dorm, and it only has one entrance with a ramp. If you were in a wheelchair, you'd have to go all the way around the building instead of being able to go into the closest door. Also, a lot of the older buildings haven't been updated very much. They meet the bare minimum, and it is kind of upsetting.
That is so true with many universities. Just recently, I guess like four or five years ago, they were trying to bring the schools up to code. And many of them did by meeting the bare minimum like you said. I went to Valdosta State, in Georgia, and I remember when our gym was finally brought up to code. We were like the last area to have it done. It was upsetting and embarrassing, especially since I majored in Physical Education and we always talk about the fairness and equality of others in our classes, but we didn't have a facility that reflected that.
But it was my choice to help her. I love her and she's family. Most of the time I feel like I'm a second mom to her. And someday I'm going to be her legal guardian when my parents are no longer able. I want her to be able to happy and to continue to grow. if anything, she's taught me a great deal about service and about compassion and patience.
That is so cool that you will become your sister's legal guardian when your parents are no longer able to. I'm sure that you just lifted a HUGE burden off of your parents' shoulders. I just finished watching a documentary on the what parents with autistic children say that their #1 main concern and worry was what was to become of their children when they couldn't take care of them anymore. One mother said that she felt like she would need to live forever just for the sheer fact that she didn't want to leave her son in the hands of someone who wouldn't care and love and continue to work with her child the way she would.
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:59 pm

That's very kind of you to say, michikodesu. That worry has been my mom's number one concern for years. At first they weren't even going to suggest me because they wanted me not to have to worry about my sister. But after being ripped off by two respite workers, I got mad and started taking a more serious role in Becky's life. I find it stupid and unfair that people are so heartless and act like they can treat adults like my sister as if they aren't people.

What's been burning me even more is finding education for my sister. All I can find is an art class and an Adult Day Health program. The one that's closest is geared toward senior citizens. She's got no one her age and what hurts more is she's finally ready to socialize. And none of the programs are meant to help her continue to learn the basics. I got so mad that I wrote a three page outline for a school for disabled adults to be able to continue the education they began in k-12. The only downside is, I don't think I could ever make that kind of dream happen.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:18 pm

DreamEmpress wrote: I got so mad that I wrote a three page outline for a school for disabled adults to be able to continue the education they began in k-12. The only downside is, I don't think I could ever make that kind of dream happen.
Well, to be fair, to have such a thing would require some sort of funding...and there probably aren't enough people to be able to justify the sort of funding required. I'd imagine the percentage of mentally handicapped adults that would attend such an institution would be relatively low.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:27 am

I did an interesting experiment for one of my special ed classes at my college.

Basically I was going around campus in a wheelchair with a few of my classmates walking with me, just to see how other people reacted and takes notes and stuff.

It was an interesting experience. A lot of people where trying hard no to look at me, but not pulling it off. Once in a while someone gave me the impression they dissapproved of my being there at all.

There were a few people that clearly wanted to assist me but didnt ask or do anything. This was most likely out of fear of offending me.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:39 pm

That sounds like a really eye opening experiment. I'm not sure how i'd fair without being able to walk. It's frustrating enough when it's just temporary. (hurt my ankle recently)

Tiff--you're not the first one to say that. I've had a few others shoot down my idea that quick and all for the same reason. But on the flip side, caregivers I talked to are very enthusiastic about such an idea. So I've gotten mixed reviews. A couple friends of mine even reviewed it and started making suggestions on funding and how to continue it. I've even had my own ideas for funding. So in theory it is possible. Fear is a main factor of why I don't try.