Heath Ledger dead @ 28

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

R.I.P. Heath Ledger. :(

Post by Princess Latona » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:43 pm

This is so incredibly awful.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22788914/?GT1=10755

I literally went "WHAT?!" when I read it on MSN's main page. I can't believe it's happened. So sad. :(

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Heath Ledger dead @ 28

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:45 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html

If this is mentioned already, lock this.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:48 pm

ADMIN MODE:

topics merged together.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:39 pm

I still cant believe I just read this, especially since I was just contemplating putting up the poster I have of him as the Joker. This is so sad and I feel for his family. Man 28 he barely had time to live.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:43 pm

I am really sad, in all, but is it me, or does everyone seem to die of perscription drug overdose these days? I feel like I hear about it all the time!
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Wow it's a shame that this is happening to so many Hollywood stars. So many are addicted to drugs and then we have tragedies like these happen. :(

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:49 pm

Eh..I'm not sure i'd label it a tragedy. Maybe that sounds insensitive, but when people choose to abuse drugs, prescription or otherwise, I don't find it tragic when they die. They made a choice to fuck up their lives.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:18 am

And yet, shallow, talentless dipshits like Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan who'll continuously fuck themselves up and dance into rehab countless times still live on.

Proof that there is no God.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:34 am

I hate to sound like an insensitive jerk but I gotta ask why do so many rich people waste their life on drugs???

I mean they got enough money to find safe ways to "escape"

I mean have these people not heard of tourist attractions? If I had more money then *enter random Deity's name here* the first thing I'd do (after paying my bills off) is to travel and see the wonders that this world can provide. That alone would take years to finish and would be extremely fulfilling.

I surely wouldn't blow my money on something that is A. Likely to kill me or B. Likely to turn me either into a vegetable or some wasted.....thing......that sits around all day either feeling sorry for myself or wondering where my next hit is going to come from.

sorry kinda went off topic there. As for this latest victim my thoughts go out to his family, I mean they are innocent victims to the drug abuse.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:42 pm

My local news station (probably not all that reliable, but hey) said that it could very possibly have been an accidental OD on a prescription drug. I never heard anything about him abusing them. I honestly hope he didn't because he had a 2-year-old daughter. I feel really bad for her. You know the press is going to hassle her and the rest of the family for a while.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:46 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:I hate to sound like an insensitive jerk but I gotta ask why do so many rich people waste their life on drugs???

I mean they got enough money to find safe ways to "escape"

I mean have these people not heard of tourist attractions? If I had more money then *enter random Deity's name here* the first thing I'd do (after paying my bills off) is to travel and see the wonders that this world can provide. That alone would take years to finish and would be extremely fulfilling.

I surely wouldn't blow my money on something that is A. Likely to kill me or B. Likely to turn me either into a vegetable or some wasted.....thing......that sits around all day either feeling sorry for myself or wondering where my next hit is going to come from.

sorry kinda went off topic there. As for this latest victim my thoughts go out to his family, I mean they are innocent victims to the drug abuse.
I think a lot of it is the movie business. Many people involved do drugs and some actors/actresses feel like they have to fit in so they also do drugs.

Also, a lot of them spend many nights a week partying and drugs are quite popular on the club scene.

Some may also have an immortality complex too.

Heath Ledger's sounds like it may have been an accidental overdose.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Im hoping it was accidental, but people seem to forget that having the job of your dreams Ie actor or anything that may make you wealthy doesnt always mean happiness. Ive never met one drug user *abuser* that has been happy, if anything they use them to try to escape their problems or issues. And a person could be completely okay looking to everyone and have real problems going on mentally. Heck the other day a well known and loved College Dean commited suicide and no one noted that he was in that frame of mind. Now I dont think Mr. Ledger was looking to off himself but you never know. Sometimes a person can hide their pain really well.

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:09 pm

My friend was devestated when she heard- she's such a fangirl of his. I've seen some of his movies, and he's a pretty good actor. It's such a shame *shakes head*

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Also, a lot of them spend many nights a week partying and drugs are quite popular on the club scene.
thats really no excuse. I go to parties all the time and I dont so much as drink.

but the rest of what you said does have some logic to it.

Still a little self control goes a long way.

If he did die of an accidental overdose though I can feel sorry for him for that. My question is how did he accidentally overdose?
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:43 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote: My question is how did he accidentally overdose?

As someone who has to take prescribed pills for a health disorder that induces sleep I can tell you its not as hard as it seems. If a doctor prescribes a certain dosage and your body cannot handle it you can go into cardiac arrest. I unfortunately have to take 3 different meds for my condition and threw trial and error found out that two of them could not be taken at the same time, when I asked my doctor why I was feeling shortness of breath dizziness and worst he basically went "oh okay now dont take those" after telling me to. Sometimes doctors will give prescriptions out to people and figure they will come to them if they have bad effects and thats a scary thing. I hope that if it was accidental it was not a doctors fault in it but I would not be shocked if that was the case.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:51 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:
Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote: My question is how did he accidentally overdose?

As someone who has to take prescribed pills for a health disorder that induces sleep I can tell you its not as hard as it seems. If a doctor prescribes a certain dosage and your body cannot handle it you can go into cardiac arrest. I unfortunately have to take 3 different meds for my condition and threw trial and error found out that two of them could not be taken at the same time, when I asked my doctor why I was feeling shortness of breath dizziness and worst he basically went "oh okay now dont take those" after telling me to. Sometimes doctors will give prescriptions out to people and figure they will come to them if they have bad effects and thats a scary thing. I hope that if it was accidental it was not a doctors fault in it but I would not be shocked if that was the case.
actually I can relate to that pretty good now that I think of it. I was perscribed a medicine for ADD (which I didn't have but thats another story) and since it was clearly not working they upped my dosage which caused me to collapse in the middle of class. So I got a twofold there, not only was I taking a medicine I didnt need but I was taking too much of it.

If this is what happened to him then I think a certain doctor needs to get his pants sued off.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:18 am

That's too bad. I saw the trailer for the new Batman movie and he looked amazing. Probably the second best Joker (Mark Hamill will always be my favorite, so I'll say Heath will be the best live action Joker). His performance looks perfect and it's a shame we won't be able to reprise the role.
(These are speculations, not official spoilers for the movie, but just to be safe...)

[spoiler]Apparently Chris Nolan said that they weren't going to kill the Joker in the new movie, and the third one was going to be about the Joker's trial. Harvey Dent's supposed to be in it and will have his origin as Twoface.[/spoiler]

Jack Nicolson has something to say to (from imdb):
Jack Nicholson has hinted he warned tragic Heath Ledger against taking on the role of The Joker in the new Batman film. Ledger, 28 - who was declared dead at 3:30pm at his Manhattan apartment on Tuesday - publicly declared himself exhausted and sleep deprived in November following the grueling shoot for The Dark Knight. He also revealed in an interview with the New York Times he'd resorted to taking sleeping pills - an overdose of which is believed to be the cause of his death - in a desperate bid to catch up on rest. And Nicholson, who famously portrayed the menacing Joker in Tim Burton's 1989 movie Batman, implied to the waiting crowd outside plush London restaurant The Wolesley on Tuesday night he spoke to Ledger about his role in The Dark Knight - and warned him about the pitfalls of taking on such a demanding challenge. When asked by the London crowds for his reaction to Ledger's untimely demise, a defeated Nicholson simply replied, "I told him so." Batman Begins prequel The Dark Knight is due to be released in July.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:19 am

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:
thats really no excuse. I go to parties all the time and I dont so much as drink.

but the rest of what you said does have some logic to it.

Still a little self control goes a long way.

If he did die of an accidental overdose though I can feel sorry for him for that. My question is how did he accidentally overdose?
I wasn't really giving as excuse for abusing drugs, I just think that is why so many rich people, particularly celebrties abuse drugs. I think, especially the younger ones, just want to fit in. Unfortunatnly they often do not realize the consequences until it is too late.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:44 am

Rin wrote:I wasn't really giving as excuse for abusing drugs, I just think that is why so many rich people, particularly celebrties abuse drugs. I think, especially the younger ones, just want to fit in. Unfortunatnly they often do not realize the consequences until it is too late.
Thing is, though, is that Ledger was 28 years old. By that point in most people's lives, they aren't that worried about fitting in, rich or otherwise.

It's my belief that it was simply an accidental overdose, or he inadvertently took something with the dosage he wasn't supposed to have with it. And even though I'm saying that, I'll wait until I see an official autopsy report before I actually assume anything otherwise.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:30 am

Being someone with a medical background and career interest, I wonder if it wasn't a case of someone building up a significant tolerance to the drugs. I know I've had similar happen with Tylenol in the past; I used to have to take 3-4 in order to get the same relief that 2 used to give me.

From what I've read, the role of The Joker was significantly stressful for him. If so, it'd be no wonder he had to take sleeping pills in order to help him sleep. Sadly, those pills can sometimes be habit-forming if taken for too long, much like prescription painkillers that people abuse so often.

If it is ruled accidental (I too withhold judgment until the report is released), I wonder if it was just a case of tolerance causing someone to totally exceed the safe dosage in order to obtain the same effects.

Sad all around, no matter what happened. :(