Cartoon Network shutting down?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Cartoon Network shutting down?

Post by Neon Heart » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:30 am

http://www.codelyoko.com/forum/forumen/ ... hp?t=56336

Meh. That's all that can really be said, as far as my opinions go.

If Cartoon Network were (somehow) shutting down while they had ALL of their good shows playing... Yes, then I would be upset. But now? Just meh. The only good things about Cartoon Network are Ed Edd n Eddy and Family Guy, which I can watch either on YouTube or other channels anyway. It's not like Cartoon Network's shutting down would be a TRAGIC loss, but with all of the shitty programming they've put on over the years... I'd have to say they've probably brought it upon themselves.

Cartoon Network's last biggest hit was with Ed Edd n Eddy and The Powerpuff Girls... That was back in 1999, people. I can't think of anything else that's actually been a hit with Cartoon Network in the 2000s except MAYBE Courage the Cowardly Dog, and even then, the original short aired back in the mid to later 1990s, anyway. The whole Out Of Jimmy's Head... WTF?! That's not even what I consider to be Cartoon Network material. That's a show I'd expect to see on Nickelodeon instead of CN.

Cartoon Network doesn't NEED live-action/cartoon/crap shows, and it's Adult Swim block doesn't need anymore freaking Inu Yasha reruns. If Cartoon Network brought back their old originals, like Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, and the old Toonami line-up, maybe they wouldn't HAVE to worry about their ratings. Hell, just bring back the old shows and some stuff you show on Boomerang (GI Joe, Jem, ect.), and then you'll have something!

Ah CN... I knew thee well. Rest in pieces.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:51 am

I hope its not true yeah they have alot of shows that make you go why the heck are they showing that crap. But there are a few cartoons I still enjoy on that network. I love the Venture Bros its just mindless humor, my son and i will watch pokemon movies and right now because I dont get a chance to watch g4 or any of them other channels CN is it for my Anime fix. its sad that they dont try to showcase maybe new talent and purchase better quality anime as some of them forum members mentioned but I think id be sad if they went away. I remember when it first came out I thought wow a network for toons only? thats awesome and I admit I dont get alot of the crap they show specially late at night but to me there are still enough gems where if they can save themselves I hope they do.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:14 am

Ed, Edd, & Eddy SUCKS, imo.

And I think there are a lot of good other shows. Their adult swim lineup is, for the most part, awesome. Foster's is a great show. And despite how little we may lik ea lot of their recent shows, they ARE popular with the younger audience (which, honestly, it's a cartoon network, of course the younger audience is going to like these shows more than we do). Not to mention their anime lineups are always popular.

I personally hope it's not true, too. I rather like CN.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:19 am

Well if Cartoon Network would stop showing Scooby Doo every 30 minutes, it might actually be able to build up it's ratings again. The only thing I watch on it (When I actually watch TV, which is in itself rare) is Family Guy, Futurama, and Fostors.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:53 am

I fail to see where in the interview it ever states Cartoon Network is shutting down. The post even says
We're still here.
They said the division is being retooled and reworked but nowhere in the article do they even once say that they're shutting down and then they even go on to list several cartoons that they're still working on. And then it says at the bottom of the interview
But we're still in the cartoon business...
I just don't get how Cartoon Network saying in the very article that people are claiming is proof that they're shutting down that they're still in the cartoon business suddenly = the end of Cartoon Network. I think people are over-reacting because they said they're looking more into airing more live-action shows but they've been airing live-action shows and movies for over a a year now and they're still around. They even show Peewee's Playhouse on Adult Swim of all things. So maybe it's just me but I don't get where it says anywhere in the interview that Cartoon Network is shutting down other than a bunch of forum posters at that site panicking and coming to the conclusion that "ZOMG more live-action= end of Cartoon Network!".
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:18 am

The fact that they show any kind of live action programming contradicts the name of the network... It's a Cartoon Network, not a "Cartoon Network With Some Live Action Stuffs Interspersed In-Between". I think because of the contradictions, that's what makes others believe (including myself) that the network is just striving to become another Nickelodeon or Disney Channel. It's trying to hard to be like the other networks instead of it's own entity like it was. While Nickelodeon was showing All That and Clarrisa Explains It All, and while the Disney channel had The Mickey Mouse Club and such... Cartoon Network had 2 Stupid Dogs and A Pup Named Scooby Doo. No live action stuff, except for what you saw in the commercials or in random, two second bits of some comedy cartoon.

I miss Cartoon Network when it was actually good...when it was just kind of it's own thing.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:03 am

Just because Cartoon Network is airing live-action shows doesn't mean that they're shutting down. Sci-Fi Channel shows wrestling and even aired soap opera reruns last year but they still have popular sci-fi shows like Battlestar Galactica and Stargate Atlantis and have even started a Monday night anime block. Cartoon Network said they were a distant third behind in the ratings of Nicklodeon and The Disney Channel, but only a distant third and they're still in the top three. I think if Cartoon Network was really doing so bad in the ratings, other less-watched 24 hour animation networks would've closed down a long time ago like Nicklodeon's NickToons network, Boomerang, and the Anime Network. Also, like Tiff said, just because a bunch of 20-something year old adults think all the new cartoons suck doesn't mean that kids hate them either. Personally I can't stand to watch Spongebob Squarepants and I think it's the most annoying cartoon in existence yet it's still one of the most popular cartoons on Nicklodeon and even had a movie made. I admit that I haven't watched Cartoon Network since Toonami moved to Saturday nights myself but that has more to do with my tastes changing rather than a hatred for CN's shows as these days I'm more interested in cartoons with actual plots like Avatar than I am episodic comedic cartoons. Sometimes people's tastes change overtime and I think a lot of fans of Cartoon Network in the '90s are looking at their favorite shows through rose-colored glasses. I'm sure your parents probably thought that most of the cartoons you grew up watching sucked in comparison to their childhood favorites, too. But if Cartoon Network says they're still around, I think I'll take their word for it over a bunch of elitist fanboys/girls who are too busy reminiscing about the good 'ol days of yesteryear. And given that this article's only source for their "proof" is some guy that happens to be "rooting about" (whatever that means) at CN (are people even normally allowed to be "rooting about" inside the studio building?) and just happens to come across two CN "mucky-mucks" (is that even a word?) who's names they can't even cite as their source makes me question the reliability of this article. In any case, even the source where they got the interview from at Animation Nation says it's not true that they're shutting down. See the original article here: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... twork.html
The only people who seem to be claiming otherwise are random forum posters who have no proof other than their wild speculations and panicking reactions to CN airing live-action. And I quite happen to like Clarissa Explains It All, thank you very much and I never did like 2 Stupid Dogs.
Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:11 pm

*Nods* Cardcaptor Takato has some good points. I mean, a lot of the shows on CN may seem stupid to us, but they're hella popular with kids.

Take what Joe said about Scooby Doo earlier...i HATE that show, but god do the kids love it. That's all I hear about from my pre-k kids. OMG SCOOBY DOOOOO!111ONE.

And there really aren't THAT many live-action shows on CN to merit it shutting down. I can count the amount on one hand, if even that.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:35 pm

Cartoon Network has certainly changed over the years. I kind of forgot it was ever anything but "the channel that has Adult Swim." Shows like Dexter's Laboratory and the PowerPuff Girls were part of our childhoods but it's unreasonable to expect the network to maintain the same kind of programming forever. Even Nickelodeon looks drastically different from what I remember as a kid.

Elanorea
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Elanorea » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:48 pm

Frankly, I don't really care if it's shutting down. I used to hate all the old Cartoon Network shows, except for Tom&Jerry, and I doubt I'd like the new ones any better.

laffinizluv
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by laffinizluv » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:19 pm

Meh, the new shows aren't great but they're not terrible either. Times change, people change, kids change.

Kids today are gonna like different things than kids did 10 years ago. And honestly, I'd be more annoyed if PPG and Ed, Edd, and Eddy was still the shit after all this time. It'd be like, enough already!

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:48 pm

I think the only time I got really aggrivated with CN was during the whole saved by the bell thing lol then I realized adult swim was just being their wacky selfs. Its a toon network its not meant to be taken so seriously and the live action shows they do show revolve around cartoons at least so its okay in my book, I may not watch em but if others like them so be it. As long as it dont go down the MTV route I wont mind cause the moment they start up the reality shows like "who wants to be a cartoonist?" Or "Dude house" the show with a house full of 30 year olds who get to stay in a basement where only the most geeky will survive, then im going to stop my cable subscription.

And ugh I cant stand scooby doo even when I was a kid that crap bugged me thank goodness for noggin in the morning cause id go nuts if my son was into the scoober gang. Jinkies can we say same plot different fake monsters Shag?
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:24 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:I think the only time I got really aggrivated with CN was during the whole saved by the bell thing
XD I LIKED teh saved by the bell.
And ugh I cant stand scooby doo even when I was a kid that crap bugged me thank goodness for noggin in the morning cause id go nuts if my son was into the scoober gang. Jinkies can we say same plot different fake monsters Shag?
God, I was the same way. I never liked it,e ven as a kid.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:13 pm

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is ridiculously successful. Naruto has been a huge freaking hit for Toonami. Both had weekend long marathons that got huge ratings. I don't think CN will be shutting down anytime soon >_>

TBA

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:28 pm

Tiff wrote:
Senshi_of_Vision wrote:I think the only time I got really aggrivated with CN was during the whole saved by the bell thing
XD I LIKED teh saved by the bell.

Me too. Shit, I was sad that they decided to only have it on for two weeks "best of" type deal. Pee Wee ran at least twice, Saved by the Bell could've had at least one complete run.
Senshi_of_Vision wrote:Or "Dude house" the show with a house full of 30 year olds who get to stay in a basement where only the most geeky will survive
I would so pwn on that show. >P
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:30 pm

MarioKnight wrote:
I dunnooo...Joe would give you a run for your money XD.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:38 pm

Tiff wrote:
MarioKnight wrote:
I dunnooo...Joe would give you a run for your money XD.
Bah, he's an overachiever with his own house, a wife, and a kid on the way. Me, I already live in the parents' basement working at a game store. =P

But yeah, to actually add to the thread. I really don't see how CN could be in any trouble right now. Sure I'm not a fan of them airing the occasional live-action show or movie, but I think that's far from a sign of them going anywhere anytime soon, and a lot of the posts in this thread show good evidence of it. This whole thing reeks of elitists making a mountain of a molehill.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 am

MarioKnight wrote:
Bah, he's an overachiever with his own house, a wife, and a kid on the way. Me, I already live in the parents' basement working at a game store. =P
LMFAO.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:32 am

MarioKnight wrote:
But yeah, to actually add to the thread. I really don't see how CN could be in any trouble right now. Sure I'm not a fan of them airing the occasional live-action show or movie, but I think that's far from a sign of them going anywhere anytime soon, and a lot of the posts in this thread show good evidence of it. This whole thing reeks of elitists making a mountain of a molehill.
And it's not as if Cartoon Network airing live-action shows is anything new. Am I the only one who remembers that they used to air this live-action show called Banana Splits back in the early '90s? And Space Ghost Coast To Coast had live celebrity guest stars all the time and nobody ever made a big deal about it back then. And nobody ever makes a big deal about Toon Disney airing Power Rangers even though that's live-action or Adult Swim airing Voltron even though that's a little kid's show.

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:57 pm

Meh, I kind of wish they would show the old school cartoons again. Sure some of the Hannah Barbara cartoons could be cheesy, but I still like them.

I do like the Adult Swim line up when I have time to watch it. But for some reason it seems a bit disorganized. By that I mean that it seems like it changes every few weeks. I could be wrong though since I watch it sporadically and everytime I turn it on, something different seems to be on at the same time that something else was on last time I watched.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/