Annoying Cliches in movies, tv shows, in books.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:57 pm

DreamEmpress wrote:I'd like to see more couples on equal footing. Both intelligent and nice. I don't see nearly enough guys with a brain on tv.

The whole cheerleaders are evil thing. I'm starting to get sick of hearing it. Can't we portray them as just regular teenagers instead of evil, slutty or psycho? It gets really old.

Along those same lines....why are all the popular people always bad? IRL not every popular person is evil. But they always are shown as evil and vindictive. The whole thing about popular girls controlling the hallways and such is really lame. Sure there are complete attention psychos out there, but it's really hard to convince your kids that being nice can still get you lots of friends when we're only seeing the mean side.

Finally, why are all schools protrayed as worse than prison? Most teachers are seen as either out of touch, really mean, or not even wanting to be there. And the principal is either dumb or psychotic. The kids have to outsmart the adults...blah blah blah. I'd love to see more shows were you do see those teachers who do care and are there for the students. And are not considered the enemy.
I freaking agree, especially with the whole popular thing.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:40 am

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:
DreamEmpress wrote:I'd like to see more couples on equal footing. Both intelligent and nice. I don't see nearly enough guys with a brain on tv.

The whole cheerleaders are evil thing. I'm starting to get sick of hearing it. Can't we portray them as just regular teenagers instead of evil, slutty or psycho? It gets really old.

Along those same lines....why are all the popular people always bad? IRL not every popular person is evil. But they always are shown as evil and vindictive. The whole thing about popular girls controlling the hallways and such is really lame. Sure there are complete attention psychos out there, but it's really hard to convince your kids that being nice can still get you lots of friends when we're only seeing the mean side.

Finally, why are all schools protrayed as worse than prison? Most teachers are seen as either out of touch, really mean, or not even wanting to be there. And the principal is either dumb or psychotic. The kids have to outsmart the adults...blah blah blah. I'd love to see more shows were you do see those teachers who do care and are there for the students. And are not considered the enemy.
I freaking agree, especially with the whole popular thing.
I alwas knew Degrassi was better than Hannah Montana. Now I know why. Why Disney can't do teen drama is beyond me.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:51 pm

DreamEmpress wrote:Finally, why are all schools protrayed as worse than prison? Most teachers are seen as either out of touch, really mean, or not even wanting to be there. And the principal is either dumb or psychotic. The kids have to outsmart the adults...blah blah blah. I'd love to see more shows were you do see those teachers who do care and are there for the students. And are not considered the enemy.
Exacally! The lunches are horrible, the lunch ladies are the "horrible mean cooks". The "Popular Clique" always has a blonde chick as the leader, and she is always super rich. The super popular guys are always dumb as a rock, and school is always shown as a waste of total time. And the gothic people are always throwing curses around or something.
I hate teen drama's with passion.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:26 am

One thing that I'm not liking that's beginning to pop up in some TV shows is that teens that live in New York City have to be:
-Rich
-Attractive
-Go to a fancy prep school
-Girls HAVE to have a hot boyfriend and they have to screw each other.

It's not just with NYC, it's also with teens that live in California have to be rich, attractive, with a big mansion, going to the beach or owning a pool and blah,blah, blah.

Seriously, when I went to Mexico (I have family) about two years ago I went to a little kiddie party and met some kids around my age and they had this assumption that since I lived in the United States that I was probably super rich and had a huge house back there, obviously not true. Shows like these (not all the time) can make people from other countries who watch them assume that Americans live like that.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:47 am

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:One thing that I'm not liking that's beginning to pop up in some TV shows is that teens that live in New York City have to be:
-Rich
-Attractive

It's not just with NYC, it's also with teens that live in California have to be rich, attractive, with a big mansion, going to the beach or owning a pool and blah,blah, blah.

Seriously, when I went to Mexico (I have family) about two years ago I went to a little kiddie party and met some kids around my age and they had this assumption that since I lived in the United States that I was probably super rich and had a huge house back there, obviously not true. Shows like these (not all the time) can make people from other countries who watch them assume that Americans live like that.
Wow...The Baby-Sitters Club actually subverted a trope? That didn't involve Claudia being Asian and therefore expected to follow in Janine's footsteps?
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:10 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:
AnimatedEvey12 wrote:One thing that I'm not liking that's beginning to pop up in some TV shows is that teens that live in New York City have to be:
-Rich
-Attractive

Wow...The Baby-Sitters Club actually subverted a trope? That didn't involve Claudia being Asian and therefore expected to follow in Janine's footsteps?
I was talking about shows like Gossip Girl, Laguna Beach and others. Laguna Beach is actually the TV show that the kids in Mexico (mentioned in my previous post) watched and assumed that I also lived like those kids in Laguna Beach.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:49 am

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:
Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:
-Rich
-Attractive

I was talking about shows like Gossip Girl, Laguna Beach and others. Laguna Beach is actually the TV show that the kids in Mexico (mentioned in my previous post) watched and assumed that I also lived like those kids in Laguna Beach.
Did you tell them where Illinois is?
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:03 am

Yea, (thanks for reminding me) I did tell them that where I live (Illinois) it's not suitable to go the beach year round, it can get extremely cold in the winter and that I was in the Northern, Midwestern part of the U.S.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:20 pm

aww, I kind of like Ron from Kim Possible, I think his character is endearing. The only thing that annoys me is when he has a rare heroic moment and they ruin by making a joke out of it, like his pants falls down or something. :x Geez, would it kill the writers so much to let Ron have one kick ass moment with out under mining it by making it into a joke at his expense?
That always annoyed me in Xena. Why couldn't poor Joxer ever be given his dignity? He was such a great character who I think was so underated. Why was he always made out to be a coward? Especially considering he died trying to save Gabrielle's life.

As for annoying cliches, I'm sick of seeing those adverts where the women are portrayed as the perfect housewife. They do all the cooking and cleaning and washing up, Pick up the kids from school, do all the ironing. How typical to assume it's the woman doing all the domestic stuff.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:34 am

Iced_Cappucino wrote: As for annoying cliches, I'm sick of seeing those adverts where the women are portrayed as the perfect housewife. They do all the cooking and cleaning and washing up, Pick up the kids from school, do all the ironing. How typical to assume it's the woman doing all the domestic stuff.
I agree, like every woman is a June Cleaver. Although there are some people who still think in that mindset. I know my late grandmother didn't want my older sister to be in the workforce (my sister works at a computer engineering company), my grandmother wanted her to stay home and take of the kid. Boy, was my grandmother pissed when my sister left off her son at daycare. Eventually, my grandmother got over it and accepted it.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

TonyOctober 2.0
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by TonyOctober 2.0 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:47 pm

I found a cliche in children's books that no one has said. It's when the main character's parents die, s/he/they have ot live with their relative/s, who are mean and maybe evil to them. I've seen this fad down a bit, but that's not enough.

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:44 am

I'm getting bored with the romance cliche 'Boy and Girl hate each other and do everything they can to make each other's lives hell but are secretly in love.' Arnold & Helga, Xena and Ares, Keitaro & Naru e.t.c...
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:02 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:I'm getting bored with the romance cliche 'Boy and Girl hate each other and do everything they can to make each other's lives hell but are secretly in love.' Arnold & Helga, Xena and Ares, Keitaro & Naru e.t.c...
God yes I detest that cliche. That new movie 'He's Just Not That Into You' actually sort mentions that in the previews. Although it's more like when kids are young, if a boy teases a girl=they love her.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!