Annoying Cliches in movies, tv shows, in books.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:42 pm

peachvampiress wrote:
By any chance have you read the book? I have and it made me go WTF? None of the characters are even similar to how they are in the movie, and Esmerelda's an absolute idotic bitch in the book.
I have not. Maybe I should. XD

We should also get back on topic >_>

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:12 pm

Tiff
I have not. Maybe I should. XD

We should also get back on topic >_>
If you can get through 80+ pages of Victor Hugo describing every square inch and crack of Notre Dame and the entire freaking city you'll have accomplished more then I could. NOW I GOES BACK ON TOPIC...

I was suffering watching a bit of Charlie's Angels today because Crispin Glover is hot as the the Thin Man and I would totally hit it and I saw one cliche that bugs me. Whenever women take off a helmet, they always have to shake their head (in slooooooo-moooooooooo) several times from side to side to get their hair out of their face. And they always have their eyes closed and mouth slightly open.

Yeah, I have really long hair. You throw you head backwards once, smooth any hair out of your face, and your good to go. You don't have to wiggle around like a balloon over and air vent to get it done.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:34 pm

Totally Spies has a lot of annoying Cliches usually taking place every episode.

1. Sam is kidnapped and turned evil
2. When Sam is not being kidenapped Alex is
3. Surprise surprise, one spy leaves but returns to save the day
4. Clover always gets the guy
5. The 'Super' villain's plot is always revenge based (Why oh why would you turn someone into a carrot?)
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:56 pm

One cliche I can't stand is how every episode of Medium begins with the main character involved in some bizarre situation but then it always turns out to be a dream. Can't they do something more original to start the episode off with? It just annoys me because my parents always act shocked by it every time it happens and I can't understand why they do when it happens every time and every episode has the same plot as the last.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 am

Iced_Cappucino wrote:Totally Spies has a lot of annoying Cliches usually taking place every episode.

1. Sam is kidnapped and turned evil
2. When Sam is not being kidenapped Alex is
3. Surprise surprise, one spy leaves but returns to save the day
4. Clover always gets the guy
5. The 'Super' villain's plot is always revenge based (Why oh why would you turn someone into a carrot?)

That's formula, not cliché.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:30 pm

I hate when a couple is having sex, and it both of their first time, that they somehow enjoy it quite a lot. I don't know about anyone else, but my first time was kind of lame TBH. And it was quite awkward and uncomfortable both physically and mentally. In fact, it took me many times to get any physical enjoyment out of it.

(yeah yeah I know, TMI)

And suddenly these two people who have no experience are suddenly sex gods/goddesses?

I would like to see a realistic depiction of sex for the first time in movies and TV.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:36 pm

Rin wrote:I hate when a couple is having sex, and it both of their first time, that they somehow enjoy it quite a lot. I don't know about anyone else, but my first time was kind of lame TBH. And it was quite awkward and uncomfortable both physically and mentally. In fact, it took me many times to get any physical enjoyment out of it.

(yeah yeah I know, TMI)

And suddenly these two people who have no experience are suddenly sex gods/goddesses?

I would like to see a realistic depiction of sex for the first time in movies and TV.
...Eh...

I can vouch for the fact that the first time for some people CAN be really good. >_>;

I've seen both sides of the coin, so it IS entirely possible.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

TonyOctober 2.0
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by TonyOctober 2.0 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:58 pm

I've found a cliche that nobody has said; it's the slave labor/poor look. Even if that character has been in a labor for the minimun time, he/she looks like Oliver Twist in drag.

For example, The Simpsons episode "The Crepes Of Wrath", Bart has done something bad at school and he was sent to France for three months. During those three months, he was mistreated by these crooks and well here's some visuals to look at so you could understand what I'm talking about:

This is Bart doing child labor at the start of his three months.
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/gallery/scr ... 13_013.jpg

And this how he looks like after two months.
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/gallery/scr ... 13_023.jpg

Just look at the picture and tell me why he looks like Oliver Twist. At the end, I won't spoil it for you. Now, that's a cliche no one has ever noticed.

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:15 pm

The damsel in distress "man". Or a really weak guy protagonist that is a complete screw-up or idiot that needs to be bailed out by supper self reliant /capable or kick ass female protagonist to think for him. I've been noticing this recently that when there is a smart capable female character that often pair her off with a dim-witted guy who needs to be rescued. Why can't there be situations where the relationship is equal and both the girl and the guy are intelligent and capable, instead of making one obviously inferior to the other to make the other look good.

I don't know maybe it just the movies/shows that I've seen lately with this trend, but its been puzzling me. :?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

TonyOctober 2.0
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by TonyOctober 2.0 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Passions55 wrote:The damsel in distress "man". Or a really weak guy protagonist that is a complete screw-up or idiot that needs to be bailed out by supper self reliant /capable or kick ass female protagonist to think for him. I've been noticing this recently that when there is a smart capable female character that often pair her off with a dim-witted guy who needs to be rescued. Why can't there be situations where the relationship is equal and both the girl and the guy are intelligent and capable, instead of making one obviously inferior to the other to make the other look good.
I agree with you on that one!

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Passions55 wrote:The damsel in distress "man". Or a really weak guy protagonist that is a complete screw-up or idiot that needs to be bailed out by supper self reliant /capable or kick ass female protagonist to think for him. I've been noticing this recently that when there is a smart capable female character that often pair her off with a dim-witted guy who needs to be rescued. Why can't there be situations where the relationship is equal and both the girl and the guy are intelligent and capable, instead of making one obviously inferior to the other to make the other look good.

I don't know maybe it just the movies/shows that I've seen lately with this trend, but its been puzzling me. :?
Oh God I hate this too! It's bad enough when it's the woman that is the damsel in distress, I do not need to see it be the guy too.

Kim Possible is the worst offender of this. Not to mention that she is pretty much a Mary Sue.

And along those lines. When a story writer tries way to hard to make a strong female character and forgets to give her any flaws, except those that could be considered admirable.

I think real strong characters are those that have flaws, but carry on despite them.

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:59 pm

aww, I kind of like Ron from Kim Possible, I think his character is endearing. The only thing that annoys me is when he has a rare heroic moment and they ruin by making a joke out of it, like his pants falls down or something. :x Geez, would it kill the writers so much to let Ron have one kick ass moment with out under mining it by making it into a joke at his expense?

another cliche that bugs me is when you have several main characters, and they are all cookie-cutter "different" personalities. Like lets say there is a group of three or four guys and one is the nerd, one is the jock (usually their dumb as well), one is the ladies man/player, and one is the token foreign guy. :roll:

And if it a group of girls one is the bland yet sweet "girl next door" type, one who is the smart one who is generally shy and a doormat who gets bullied by every one else, one is the no nonsense feminist type that is usually portrayed as a shrew or harsh or just over-all unattractive and masculine in some way, and then their is the slut. Usually they are the prettiest one in the group and they are eighther ditzy cheerleader types with no brains or they are clicky mean spirited stuck up princess types, and of course they always get the guy. :wink:

Of course it is not as set in stone as this but these stereo-types are usually pretty prevalent in most teenage movies/TV shows from what I've noticed.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:10 pm

Passions55 wrote:aww, I kind of like Ron from Kim Possible, I think his character is endearing. The only thing that annoys me is when he has a rare heroic moment and they ruin by making a joke out of it, like his pants falls down or something. :x Geez, would it kill the writers so much to let Ron have one kick ass moment with out under mining it by making it into a joke at his expense?

another cliche that bugs me is when you have several main characters, and they are all cookie-cutter "different" personalities. Like lets say there is a group of three or four guys and one is the nerd, one is the jock (usually their dumb as well), one is the ladies man/player, and one is the token foreign guy. :roll:

And if it a group of girls one is the bland yet sweet "girl next door" type, one who is the smart one who is generally shy and a doormat who gets bullied by every one else, one is the no nonsense feminist type that is usually portrayed as a shrew or harsh or just over-all unattractive and masculine in some way, and then their is the slut. Usually they are the prettiest one in the group and they are eighther ditzy cheerleader types with no brains or they are clicky mean spirited stuck up princess types, and of course they always get the guy. :wink:

Of course it is not as set in stone as this but these stereo-types are usually pretty prevalent in most teenage movies/TV shows from what I've noticed.
Oh God yes I hate the group stereotypes!

Oh and don't forget the bratty emo goth who thinks that everyone else in the world is a mindless sheep and the self-righteous vegetarian environmentalist who is always made out to be the good guy in the show.

And often in shows who have a main female protangonist the perfect beautiful atheltic straight A student, usually also very self righteous. She has an older brother who is usually a dope and a friend who is different race than her and a male friend who is the same race as herself, and often becomes her love interest. Oh and everyone else in the show loves her except for a spoiled popular girl who is her worst enemy.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:35 am

Passions55 wrote: another cliche that bugs me is when you have several main characters, and they are all cookie-cutter "different" personalities. Like lets say there is a group of three or four guys and one is the nerd, one is the jock (usually their dumb as well), one is the ladies man/player, and one is the token foreign guy. :roll:

That's why the first series of Power Rangers sucked big time. It started improving once Billy got over the Spock Speak.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Dance movies. My friend just saw Step Up 2, and this is our formula for every dance movie.

-main character(s) of minority ethnic backgrounds with a really bad family life, usually drugs, bad parants, siblings they love getting hurt, etc
-commits some crime, is sentanced to a. work at a dance place or b. take dance lessons
-hates dancing
-loves dancing
-overcomes home life thanks to love of dancing
-someone gets shot (MUST HAVE)
-ends with make-out scene
I love dance, but I just can't watch dance movies. Every move is predictable.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

awesomeweirdo
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by awesomeweirdo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:19 pm

another type of cliched group is the group of three. There is the main character, and then he/she's two best friends. one is the same gender, and is sometimes of a different race. the other one is the same race, but the opposite gender, and usually has a crush on the main character, but he/she doesn't notice because he/she has a crush on the really popular person. or, the two friends end up getting together in the end, after fighting the entire time.
ex: first few seasons of Smallville, Danny Phantom, Harry Potter, Lizzie McGuire, etc.
Save Pluto!!!!!!!!!!!! (screw Charon)

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Love triangles that involve one girl, two guys. One guy is rich but he's mean and the other guy is a sweet guy, but poor. In the end, the girl will almost always end up with the poor guy.

I agree with Senshi of Vision with the women-only series that involve a group of friends, and it's pretty much all of them whoring themselves out. I hear women take Sex and the City seriously. I was reading this interview in TIME about this gynecologist and she was saying how women go to her and tell her that they wish they would have good sex life like Carrie and she's always reminding them that Carrie is not a real person.

I HATE just HATE the Spanish Soap Operas. I don't watch any of them because they're pretty much the same story over and over again. Each Spanish soap involves an affair, craziness, a lot slapping involved and a lot of crying.

That's all I think up right now.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun May 25, 2008 7:50 am

the*blue*girl wrote:Dance movies. My friend just saw Step Up 2, and this is our formula for every dance movie.

-main character(s) of minority ethnic backgrounds with a really bad family life, usually drugs, bad parants, siblings they love getting hurt, etc
-commits some crime, is sentanced to a. work at a dance place or b. take dance lessons
-hates dancing
-loves dancing
-overcomes home life thanks to love of dancing
-someone gets shot (MUST HAVE)
-ends with make-out scene
I love dance, but I just can't watch dance movies. Every move is predictable.
So, do Dirty Dancing and Billy Elliot not count? And Shall We Dansu? I mean, all of them had dance class as a major plot point.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun May 25, 2008 9:43 am

I don't know if this counts or not but I'm getting really sick and tired of married couples in commercials

I mean not all men are idiots, and not all women are unsupportive sarcastic bitches, but that's how commercials portray them for the most part.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sun May 25, 2008 1:55 pm

I'd like to see more couples on equal footing. Both intelligent and nice. I don't see nearly enough guys with a brain on tv.

The whole cheerleaders are evil thing. I'm starting to get sick of hearing it. Can't we portray them as just regular teenagers instead of evil, slutty or psycho? It gets really old.

Along those same lines....why are all the popular people always bad? IRL not every popular person is evil. But they always are shown as evil and vindictive. The whole thing about popular girls controlling the hallways and such is really lame. Sure there are complete attention psychos out there, but it's really hard to convince your kids that being nice can still get you lots of friends when we're only seeing the mean side.

Finally, why are all schools protrayed as worse than prison? Most teachers are seen as either out of touch, really mean, or not even wanting to be there. And the principal is either dumb or psychotic. The kids have to outsmart the adults...blah blah blah. I'd love to see more shows were you do see those teachers who do care and are there for the students. And are not considered the enemy.