Annoying Cliches in movies, tv shows, in books.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 2:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati Ohio

Annoying Cliches in movies, tv shows, in books.

Post by Rin » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:50 pm

So what cliches in books, tv shows, and books have been done to death so much that you swear you'll scream if you see it again.

One that comes to mind for me is that siblings always have to be enemies. Some people out there actually get along with their brothers and sisters.

Speaking of siblings, what's with, and I'm mainly refering to the Disney channel, there only being two kids in every family? What's wrong with having only one kid? or three or four...

Anytime a male character is agressive, he's always the bad guy. He's either a wife beater or a criminal, or a very abusive boyfriend. But for some reason it's alright, and in fact, it's very funny if a female character beats up ona male. Even more annoying when the girl is a short skinny anorexic looking thing that in real life could barely pick up the news paper on the lawn.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

User avatar
jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 811
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Southeast Louisiana

Post by jupiter23 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:45 pm

One of the Disney cliches I've been sick of for a long time now is that the good guys have to always be the good looking people while the bad guys are always the ugly and/or overweight people. Another one I've seen on quite a few Disney shows and movies recently is that the kids in the family always seem to only have one parent, with no explanation of what happened to the other.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:38 am

I love Disney, but even I have to admit they've got some long-running cliches.

...Why is the princess/main girl/heroine ALWAYS sixteen? Is sixteen like the magic number? "YOU'RE SIXTEEN, YOU MUST GET MARRIED!" "I'M SIXTEEN, I CAN GO TO THE SURFACE!"

And what's with all the "I've seen you for 5 seconds and i'm in love with you" plots? Cinderella and Unnamed Prince #35234 fell in love after having one dance. Philip and Aurora, while I admit they met as children before (but she was a freakin INFANT, she wouldn't remember), fell in love after singing in the forest together.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:40 pm

Tiff wrote:I love Disney, but even I have to admit they've got some long-running cliches.

...Why is the princess/main girl/heroine ALWAYS sixteen? Is sixteen like the magic number? "YOU'RE SIXTEEN, YOU MUST GET MARRIED!" "I'M SIXTEEN, I CAN GO TO THE SURFACE!"

And what's with all the "I've seen you for 5 seconds and i'm in love with you" plots? Cinderella and Unnamed Prince #35234 fell in love after having one dance. Philip and Aurora, while I admit they met as children before (but she was a freakin INFANT, she wouldn't remember), fell in love after singing in the forest together.
LOL didnt ya know 16 is so grown up in disney phase, heck by then most of their former child actresses have been in rehab at least once...

And that whole love at first sight thing has been done so much its not even funny.

But a trend ive noticed in tv that bugs me is the whole "big loud mouth jerk" with the hot slim wife routine. I guess its a way to tell the blue collar guys that they can have a hot wife but why does the guy always have to be an idiot? I mean its funny I love according to jim, family guy and the simpsons respectively but damn big and dumb? I dont think they would have a chance at a better looking mate IRL.

As for books I just get tired of all these long ass series I mean I know it would take some stories too long for one book but I hate having to read 12 just to finish one series and then go threw the characters supposed deaths or near deaths then rebirths. Right now the sword of truth is driving me mad so I stopped reading it im on book 3 (ugh theres at least 9 more) and I dont think im going to finish the series anytime soon cause its just aggrivating. Happily ever after dont seem to be Terry brooks forte lol.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."




*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:48 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote: But a trend ive noticed in tv that bugs me is the whole "big loud mouth jerk" with the hot slim wife routine. I guess its a way to tell the blue collar guys that they can have a hot wife but why does the guy always have to be an idiot? I mean its funny I love according to jim, family guy and the simpsons respectively but damn big and dumb? I dont think they would have a chance at a better looking mate IRL.
Well, I sort of disagree. Being a big guy doesn't mean one can't get an attractive woman. Now, being STUPID is different, but being big alone definitely isn't a defining factor as to what kind of woman they'll attract.

As for books I just get tired of all these long ass series I mean I know it would take some stories too long for one book but I hate having to read 12 just to finish one series and then go threw the characters supposed deaths or near deaths then rebirths. Right now the sword of truth is driving me mad so I stopped reading it im on book 3 (ugh theres at least 9 more) and I dont think im going to finish the series anytime soon cause its just aggrivating. Happily ever after dont seem to be Terry brooks forte lol.
Terry Goodkind =P

And it's a shame, becuase Sword of Truth is really a good series. There are a few dry books toward the later end, but the first like 6 or 7 are excellent.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Insane Asylum
Contact:

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:21 pm

Horror movie cliche-
Person goes missing from group. Person gets killed in some way. People go to find said person, and find said evil

Also, is it me, or do ALL disaster movies either take place in NY or LA..? Or Chicago maybe
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

User avatar
Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:44 pm

Tiff wrote:
Senshi_of_Vision wrote: But a trend ive noticed in tv that bugs me is the whole "big loud mouth jerk" with the hot slim wife routine. I guess its a way to tell the blue collar guys that they can have a hot wife but why does the guy always have to be an idiot? I mean its funny I love according to jim, family guy and the simpsons respectively but damn big and dumb? I dont think they would have a chance at a better looking mate IRL.
Well, I sort of disagree. Being a big guy doesn't mean one can't get an attractive woman. Now, being STUPID is different, but being big alone definitely isn't a defining factor as to what kind of woman they'll attract.
Trust me I dont mean big guys in general Teddy bears as I call them are my prefered males. I dont like that they have to be big loud mouths and dumb its like force feeding opposites attract. I miss Roseanne shows like that, that show what a average couple may look like. Whats wrong with a wife that has 3-4 kids having a bit of junk in her trunk? no its always the big dumb husband and the petite suffering wife its done to death.

and my friend is saying the same thing about the sword of truth its his favorite series though and he wont stop bugging me till I finish it lol. Hes just lucky im a book worm.

And the whole horror movie thing is over done im sick of seeing the same character make 17 movies and now they are redoing those movies its going to be a sequal nightmare and hell even the spoof of the horror sequels have sequals.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."




*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:39 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:
Trust me I dont mean big guys in general Teddy bears as I call them are my prefered males. I dont like that they have to be big loud mouths and dumb its like force feeding opposites attract. I miss Roseanne shows like that, that show what a average couple may look like. Whats wrong with a wife that has 3-4 kids having a bit of junk in her trunk? no its always the big dumb husband and the petite suffering wife its done to death.
Aahh, I gotcha =D

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Australia

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:31 am

One of my personal favourites is what TVTropes has called the "Zmelik".

Basically, your story goes like this: There is a contest, and both the hero and hero's rival are entered. While the contest is shown to be polarized between these two, a third person (the Zmelik) is the contest's actual winner.

Examples:
-An episode of Punky Brewster has Punky and Margaux entering a pageant. And the winner is neither Punky or Margaux, but instead their friend Cherie.
-H2O: Just Add Water has an episode where Cleo and Miriam also enter a pageant, with Cleo entering to throw her sister off her tail (the sister suspecting Cleo, Emma and Rikki of mermaid status). The contest is ruined, but it's discovered that Miriam's lackey would have been the actual winner.

The High School Musical book series (not counting the novelisations) actually subverted this one in the first book. The contest is a Battle of the Bands, with Troy entering the Wildcats, Sharpay entering a girl group and Gabriella doing a piece with Kelsi. The major drama is that everyone not Sharpay is having Ryan teach the choreography. Sharpay wins.

And it's played straight in the second book, where, while we root for Troy and Gabriella over Sharpay, the actual winners (of a School Spirit election) are Zeke and Kelsi.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

User avatar
Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 2:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati Ohio

Post by Rin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:43 pm

Childhood friends becoming lovers...

Die!Die!Die!Die! *Stabs* Die!


*headdesks*

But seriously, why can't a guy and a girl just be friends. And I do have a friend since childhood and he is a guy. To be honest, he's much more like a brother to me.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

User avatar
Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:56 pm

Im sick of shows like Girlfriends, Sex in the city *which is reruns now and a movie coming up* and Desperate housewifes. What is with the raving slut mentality of these shows, Im not saying we need to go back to the June Cleaver days but im kinda getting sick of the spoiled tramp mentality that women are taking on in alot of these shows. And it ticks me off when they say its *women empowerment* um excuse me I always thought spreading yourself for a monetary and material things was being a ho..maybe its just me on that thought level. And fine they have successful jobs *some of them* but theres always the one friend who is the beggar or not so rich and shes the biggest skank of them all. Or for Housewives these women go to extreme measures to be bitches. I dunno shows that target females now adays just dont appeal to me no more.

Also daytime soaps not all of them but most whats up with everyone being rich all of a suddent, hell even the poor people end up rich after a few weeks cause they marry into it. Then you got all these distant relatives getting with each other. Heck on the soaps my mom and grandmother watch the incest levels isnt funny, I think on General Hospital alone the family trees are so twisted it is sick. Then on Guiding light stories from first cousins having sex and getting married, to sisters dating their sisters former husbands and men its just a big ole swap fest. I dunno man I guess its contreversial and all but it makes me glad I watch more Noggin then anything else during the day.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."




*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

User avatar
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Australia

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:36 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:Also daytime soaps not all of them but most whats up with everyone being rich all of a suddent, hell even the poor people end up rich after a few weeks cause they marry into it. Then you got all these distant relatives getting with each other. Heck on the soaps my mom and grandmother watch the incest levels isnt funny, I think on General Hospital alone the family trees are so twisted it is sick. Then on Guiding light stories from first cousins having sex and getting married, to sisters dating their sisters former husbands and men its just a big ole swap fest. I dunno man I guess its contreversial and all but it makes me glad I watch more Noggin then anything else during the day.
Why US soaps can't talk about people who have to work for a living is beyond me. So instead of something even remotely realistic, we get....lots and lots of sex. Not all of it legal.

In the UK, they have The Archers (which is set in a rural community), EastEnders (set in a borough of London's East End) and Coronation Street (set on a street in Manchester). And us Aussies have Home and Away (set in a coastal township) and Neighbours (set in a suburb of Melbourne). All are extremely popular in both countries, where they're all shown in primetime slots.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

User avatar
Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:49 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:Why US soaps can't talk about people who have to work for a living is beyond me. So instead of something even remotely realistic, we get....lots and lots of sex. Not all of it legal.

In the UK, they have The Archers (which is set in a rural community), EastEnders (set in a borough of London's East End) and Coronation Street (set on a street in Manchester). And us Aussies have Home and Away (set in a coastal township) and Neighbours (set in a suburb of Melbourne). All are extremely popular in both countries, where they're all shown in primetime slots.
I love Eastenders, unfortunately its the only one of the series youve mentioned that I can get here right now *no cable in my room* and it comes on sunday nights only and its about a good 4 years behind. Darn Wikepedia informed me of that lol. But that show appeals to me because its like you said its working class people stories, sure they have their instances but Incest is a bad thing with that show (I really felt for Kat and Zoe). As is rape, you wont see the rapist and the victim end up working together to take down some derranged maniac who wants revenge cause hes not a relative of some rich guy. Ugh more and more reasons I dont like daytime soaps.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."




*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

User avatar
Banana
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:21 pm

Post by Banana » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:05 am

Arguing couples that are actually in love with each other. I'm talking about you Ron and Hermione! These annoy me so much. I just don't see whats so 'cute' about 2 people arguing constantly. That doesn't sound like a relationship i would want to be in.

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:06 pm

Banana wrote:Arguing couples that are actually in love with each other. I'm talking about you Ron and Hermione! These annoy me so much. I just don't see whats so 'cute' about 2 people arguing constantly. That doesn't sound like a relationship i would want to be in.
I think it goes back to the whole "opposites attract" thing. *shrugs* their arguments are petty, and not serious or big. It also has a lot to do with the denial of their feelings, so they cover it up by deliberately acting like they hate eachother.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:03 pm

Happily ever after.

Why do all these blockbuster movies have happy endings? In Film Studies I have been learning about how usually a blockbuster hollywood movie will have a happy ending of some sort. Why? The Hero doesn't always win in real life. People don't always get over their experiences in life.

I'm not just saying hollywood movies. Many movies do it. Why can't we have more movies like House of flying daggers where we don't expect the ending?
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

User avatar
Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 2:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati Ohio

Post by Rin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:Happily ever after.

Why do all these blockbuster movies have happy endings? In Film Studies I have been learning about how usually a blockbuster hollywood movie will have a happy ending of some sort. Why? The Hero doesn't always win in real life. People don't always get over their experiences in life.
Because movies aren't real and they are often our escape from reality. :)

Often people want to feel good after watching an epic movie and depressed. And one would wonder "what's the point" if the hero didn't make at least some progress during the movie.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:41 pm

Well, and I gotta add, I'm noticing more and more movies AREN'T taking the "happilye ver after" approach, and are taking a more realistic approach when it comes to ending. Hell, I watched The Wicker Man with Joe on TV, and i'll be damned if that had a happily ever after ending.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:49 am
Location: USA

Post by Passions55 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:43 pm

I know this is does not happen so often any more in cartoons any more, but back when I was growing up there seemd to be this cliche in little girl cartoons of Blondes Vs. the Brunnetts. And ushally the blond was the good gur or herion and the dark haired girl was the bad guy. I don't know I just noticed growing up that alot of the time the good girls had mostly blond or red or very light brown hair and the bad girls where dark haired. Sometimes they didn't even have to be nessarily bad, just the the oppisite girl that played as the foil for the main girl.

As a girl with dark features having dark hair and eyes and an olive complexion I remember feeling like I had the physical characteritics of the bad guy that was portrayed in my favorite cartoons. When I would play eith my friends I would sometyimes get stuck playing the bad guy because i looked like them. And no we could just pretend that I looked like the herion we always had to play the character we looked the most like. I remember I wanted so baddly to have blond hair and blues eyes as a little girl because I thought that was what the Princesses in cartoons looked liked. I'm glad that cartoons today aren't like that any more. At least I haven't noticed it.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
_______________________

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

User avatar
Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:32 am

It took a baby blues comic strip to remind me of this particular beef I have with Disney.

What the heck is with them always killing off mothers? Every good character is basically motherless in alot of their animated movies or they are evil step mothers. And heck the Lion king just reverses it and kills off the father. What a nice thing for my kid to watch a cub fawn or young character, losing its mommy or daddy. Needless to say disney movies are gonna be out for him till hes a wee bit older and I can explain stuff like that. Cause I really dont want my toddler worried that mommy is going to get shot walking threw the forests outside our home (Bambi) or that i'll pass away and he ends up with wicked step parents.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."




*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Locked