Paranoia vs. Instinct

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Paranoia vs. Instinct

Post by SeiUsa » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:52 pm

I've been thinking about this. How do you really know the difference between the two? It seems it depends on the outcome. Say, a girl accuses her boyfriend of cheating on her, and it turns out she was wrong, people would say, "You're too paranoid and you need to be more trusting." But if it turns out her boyfriend WAS cheating people would probably be saying, "It's good that you followed your gut."

But how do you actually KNOW? :?:

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:41 pm

Um, well, humans aren't born with an "instinct" for detecting cheating boyfriends. If there is significant reason to believe in a partner's infidelity, you aren't being paranoid. If there isn't... you are. Pretty simple.

One of the worst things you can do is accuse somebody of cheating. In fact, such accusations may signal infidelity on the part of the person making them. If false, they can destroy the trust in a relationship and actually increase the likelihood of the accused partner to cheat.

So, to answer your question, you don't "know," unless you catch them in the act or find panties in their car or something. Unless a person has some pretty solid evidence they would do better to keep their mouths shut.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:13 pm

I agree with Jeff, I had read this earlier but needed time to get how I felt about that. I do believe there are instinctive urges we humans have. As a mom I know my instinct screams out right before my kid does something bad and I get twinges even if its in my mind before he gets hurt. but when it comes to infidelity I think that there really is no way of just feeling if its happening. If your partner is cheating believe me they will leave signs. My ex husband who was normally an at home computer guy suddently started going out late hours, instead of being hooked to the latest video games he was out and about. Changes like that will make you go hmmm I didnt chalk it to instinct just proof, so when it did finally come out I wasnt too suprize.

And its true if you accuse someone you love of cheating based just on a hunch there is more likely damage done. I let it play out till he finally confessed, I think a cheater if they are somewhat decent will more then likely feel guilty in the long run or do something stupid and mess up anyway.

I can also understand paranoia thought its why I havent dated in a while, I dont want to put a new guy threw that and as a person who the feelings of betrayl still feel fresh I know paranoia about being cheated on again would pop up.

I just hope this topic is just a what if SeiaUsa id hate to think you were going threw this. If you are im sorry its not easy wondering and I hope that if you are that the person just owns up to their cheating.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:37 am

"duj tu voHtaH". Loose translation from Klingon, "Always trust your instincts." :wink:
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"