2008 Elections

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:23 pm

Voting in Oklahoma: Freedom of the Choices We Give You

No third parties. No write ins. No option to vote "none of the above".

So in order to vote for any local officials or state questions, you have to vote for McCain or Obama.

Lame.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:54 pm

Whaaat? That's it? I had like 13 candidates to pick from, plus a write in option.

I hope the person I voted for wins. In every national, state or local election I've participated in, my choice has always lost. Every. Single. Time.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:57 pm

I had several third party options as well. I didn't get a write-in option, though. The booths at my precinct are all electronic.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:13 pm

Obama is President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*elation ensues*
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:16 am

Hellz yeah!

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:05 am

Yeah Obama won!!!! Wo0o0o0ot!!!

Like he says, "It's time for a change...change we need."

I must admit, I had my doubts. Even tho I voted for him. I can't wait to see what happens! Go Obama!
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:37 am

I put a big write-up in my LJ with my thoughts on the election. I was extremely "meh" throughout the entire thing; neither candidate really resonated with me enough to make me a supporter.

In the end, I'll remain cautiously open-minded about Obama until I see him in action. If he does great, awesome. If not, I hope there's someone near him who can steer him back on the right track.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:41 am

Wow that speech Obama gave was so moving, I know that many are upset that he won, some for vailid reasons others not so valid (sigh another forums I frequent already had the racist omg were going to be wearing towels on our head stuff spouting off :( )) But listening to his words seeing the conviction behind them I am willing to give Obama a chance and only hope that he helps stem this country towards better times.

That being said im so glad this is over this was downright one of the most emotional drainning elections ive been apart of it was rough from the start being a clinton supporter and down to the bitter end and all I can hope is that the country made a good judgement call. We will see in the next four years.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:53 am

Now that we have Obama as president I hope that banshee from Alaska will fade into obscurity.

I doubt it though :(
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:46 am

Meh.

I don't like his big government policies, but I'll give Obama a chance. McCain wouldn't have been any better on that front. Government certainly hasn't gotten smaller or less invasive under W.

Barack Obama has do three things to not be another waste of four years:

o1.) Get us out of Iraq. The Iraqi people need to step up and handle their own defense (while we will merely act in very small support groups). We need our troops in Afghanistan, and we need the supplemental National Guard troops we're sending over there to be stationed here on our own borders. We can't be spread thin like this, because Iran or Pakistan could turn sour really quick.

o2.) Demand that the national budget be balanced every year. The overspending by our government is a disgusting misuse of tax money. Revenue (from tax dollars) is not going to go up that much, even if you do remove some tax breaks for those earning over 250k. The only way to cut into the National Debt is by cutting spending.

o3.) Tape Biden's mouth shut before any international conferences.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:23 am

All right. I'll be the first to say it.

Obama won. Booo.

If he proves me wrong, wonderful.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Frankly neither candidate tickled me to death, but I'll admit Obama rubbed me the wrong way the least, so I'm willing to give him a chance to prove himself and pass judgement then.
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:Now that we have Obama as president I hope that banshee from Alaska will fade into obscurity.

I doubt it though :(
lmfao yea but if she runs for 2012 (or 2016 if Obama is running for a second term), I am definitely not voting for her.

EDIT: But then again who knows, people change.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:26 pm

I wanted Cynthia McKinney to win D=
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:23 pm

I'm glad Obama won ^_^ His speech made me cry, and I'm hardley partriotic.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:10 am

Well the other forum closed down (thankfully) the topic that got out of hand. But not before a marine who posted put these words:

"I may not be happy that Obama won for my own personal reasons. But I will not underestimate the magnitude of what occured last night nor will I ever turn my back on my country due to not getting my way. Obama is our president we need to stand together and support him and make this country the better place we know it can be. Many are fighting for the freedoms we take for granted, the freedoms some in other countries may never see. I for one know that yesterday opened the eyes of many people who never thought a day like this would happen and for that alone I am proud that he was elected."

Its stuff like this that opened a lot of peoples eyes. I know id like to think that race should not matter, but the fact is it still does in this day and age. I grew up hearing stuff like "you'll never see a black man as president, they would die." (unfortunately people are still saying he will be assissinated :( ) Ive seen relatives that went threw the hells before the civil rights movement, during it and after still weeping because none of us thought this day would ever happen. And then last night I looked at my son and knew I could tell him and be honest that one day if he wished to he could be president and would not be blowing smoke up his hiney and that ment something to me. Yesterday was a very important day in history and I long for the day that our president is not picked by such superficial things that a point where a female, minority, gay person could one day hold office and I think yesterday the doors for that one day to happen opened.

Once again as someone who has always hoped for a day where this country could look past ethnic, gender and sexual preferances to use as walls to hold against each other. Yesterdays election marked a hopeful turning point in seeing day like that. It may not happen in my lifetime may not happen in my child's lifetime but I can hold out hope now one day it will happen.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:26 am

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:Well the other forum closed down (thankfully) the topic that got out of hand. But not before a marine who posted put these words:

"I may not be happy that Obama won for my own personal reasons. But I will not underestimate the magnitude of what occured last night nor will I ever turn my back on my country due to not getting my way. Obama is our president we need to stand together and support him and make this country the better place we know it can be. Many are fighting for the freedoms we take for granted, the freedoms some in other countries may never see. I for one know that yesterday opened the eyes of many people who never thought a day like this would happen and for that alone I am proud that he was elected."

Its stuff like this that opened a lot of peoples eyes. I know id like to think that race should not matter, but the fact is it still does in this day and age. I grew up hearing stuff like "you'll never see a black man as president, they would die." (unfortunately people are still saying he will be assissinated :( ) Ive seen relatives that went threw the hells before the civil rights movement, during it and after still weeping because none of us thought this day would ever happen. And then last night I looked at my son and knew I could tell him and be honest that one day if he wished to he could be president and would not be blowing smoke up his hiney and that ment something to me. Yesterday was a very important day in history and I long for the day that our president is not picked by such superficial things that a point where a female, minority, gay person could one day hold office and I think yesterday the doors for that one day to happen opened.

Once again as someone who has always hoped for a day where this country could look past ethnic, gender and sexual preferances to use as walls to hold against each other. Yesterdays election marked a hopeful turning point in seeing day like that. It may not happen in my lifetime may not happen in my child's lifetime but I can hold out hope now one day it will happen.
Powerful stuff. I mean you look at shows about the early civil rights movement, and movies like Mississippi Burning and you will realize just how important Obama winning is. I think its also totally possibly for a woman president now, and a latino, and asian, and Jewish president now.

As for having a gay president some people think thats already happened namely James Buchanan. But there is no way to prove that and having a closeted gay president vs an openly gay president is totally different. I think we are still a long way from that
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:16 pm

I, frankly, don't understand why we have to keep focusing on his race. He's a man who became president.

If the people in the black community want to progress and move forward with the intent of destroying racism, then the first thing society needs to do is STOP FOCUSING ON THE MAN'S RACE.

By continuing over and over to point out he's A BLACK MAN, OH MY GOD, HE'S BLACK, they're continuing to hold back said progression.

Racial progression doesn't involve the need to repetitively point out a person's race. It involves moving past it, and focusing on the human being themselves. And that is not what I see happening.

And that's why this whole thing disgusts me.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:39 pm

Ive seen the sentiment of why should it matter that he is black amongst a lot of folks, I know it should not matter but it does. And theres no way to convey this without it seeming argumental, (which its not) but honestly if you are not black its easier to say its no big deal and say that its being made too big a deal of. And this in no way is to say that other ethnic people have not had their share of injustice, but to be a black person in this country is a whole different world, a world you can only know if you are black.

The past asside because history has not been pretty for us in this country period. Race relations are still a very tensed subject, its better then it was a decade or two ago but its still no where near where it should be. And It is very different when you grow up with strikes against you because of your color. Even if you do good in school, even if you apply yourself the majority of society is judging you already because of the foolish people of your race. They dont take into the account that you do work hard that you pay your dues, it comes down to your skin color. And I know this because I live it and have the past 31 years.

Ive dealt with people commenting on how well I speak, as if Im supposed to only know ebonics not supposed to speak proper english. Spoken with people for things like housing or to buy something over the phone only to show up and have them look at me shocked because the voice did not match who they thought they were dealing with. The worst was trying to get my friends who are white who moved down here an apartment speaking with the lady who was going to rent it for them but when I showed up with them to look at the place we were told it was sold even though it clearly wasnt, the ad was up and we even called the paper and local news to report it though nothing much came out of it. Ive had job interviews where the hirers joked about my backround and better not have any drug busts...wtf? My record is so clean its non existant (well before I had my nervous break down but even those are hospital commitals not jail time) And outside of tv I dont even know what the inside of a real prison looks like. But you would be suprized how many assumed that I did and why? Because of my color, no other reason I dont think I come across as a person who would harm a fly even with my illness but youd be surprize what Ive had ignorant people believe about me because of my race. Ive had to turn the other cheek and keep silent while people over me at former jobs made jokes which not only were offensive but inapropriate because of working in right to work state where I couldnt afford to lose my job due to complaining. Ive been called the N word, had my life threatened because of the color of my skin. Not by someone who knew me but someone who hated me just because my tone is darker.

So yeah in a perfect world race wouldnt and shouldnt matter but it does, and his win is significant because many black americans really never though it would happen. Now when we want to tell our young black men and women to take responsibility for their actions, to be accountable for their actions we have that role model. He was raised in a single parent home, he pushed himself threw school and now he is our president. Now the communities cannot use the excuses that we are held back. That in itself is another positive thing for this happening.

I dont want to get emotional over this but as someone who has lived with the burden of a society who judges me on looks instead of who I am I know why this was so important. And until the day comes where stuff like this is trivial its going to matter, and I only hope it opens up doors for anyone who wishes to one day be our commander and chief to do so.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:13 pm

And now we have just what I expected:

"You're not black, so you don't understand."

You know, I don't even want to discuss this further. I'm angry, annoyed, and just don't even want to get into it.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama