The Bratz craze..bleh

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

The Bratz craze..bleh

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 pm

Okay so im watching tv today with my toddler and I put on nickolodeon a channel we both like specially Nick Jr. And during the commercials I lose count on how many freaking Brats doll commercials there is. I know some pan these dolls as the new Barbie and friends but to me they are trouble. Now im not saying those who like them shouldnt buy them I just personally do not like what they represent.

To me they seem to glorify spoiled perfect little girls. Ive seen commercials for them with dogs that are pampered. Ive seen the talking doll commercials where they tell a little girl its cool for a boy to like them. Umm most kids playing with Brats dolls should not even be thinking of boyfriends to me but maybe im just old fashion. When I was still playing with my barbies boys *save Ken her boyfriend* were icky. It just scares me in this day and age where little girls are given toys that make them grow up too fast. Now some can argue doll babys in general can do this but meh I had plenty of dollies as a kid and still waited till almost 30 to have my first kid.

Every where I look there are Brats commericals, movies and I hear they have a tv show? what the heck? over merchandising is putting it lightly (cough teenage mutant ninja turtles from the early 90s' cough) I mean come on I literally lost count of the darn commercials for them after awhile its amazing how many things they have made out of these dolls. And once again they come with make up and ...ugh Bling (hate that word with a passion.) I am with my mom who was very adament about me and my sisters not wearing makeup when we were little girls. When we got older it was alright but as children it was definately not allowed. And to ths day I still dont personally use it cause I feel that once you use it too much your face becomes a shadow of its natural self. But these dolls come with all sorts of make up and its for them and the kid playing with it and that bothers me to.

Maybe its because im a doll collector (alright mostly sailormoon and strawberry short cake from back in the day) But dolls like this bug the heck out of me maybe im just being sensitive but im sort of glad I wont have to worry about buying things like them any time soon.

does anyone else have an opinion on this?
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:05 pm

Don't worry, you're definitely not alone. They bug me too. I heard that on their TV show, one was saying, "Ugggh are you trying to make me fat?" I don't even need to comment on how senseless it was for someone to put something like that in a kid's show.

And don't get me started on their crappy music. They all sing about things that make them sound spoiled. And they have one song called "So You Wanna Change the World", which doesn't make sense because showing little girls that it's OK to dress like sluts is NOT making the world a better place. Morons.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:10 pm

I do!

I have seen four Bratz movies (morbid curiosity) and they fucking disturb me.

Not only that, but I was one hundred steps ahead of the protagonists in figuring out the logical plot twists in the fourth one. They're all so stupid they don't even stop to think that the girl at the diner is Byron.

Reading the credits, I noted the voices of Lacey Chabert, Tia Mowry and Soleil Moon Frye. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. OK, maybe not that great a fall, but the worst episodes of Sister Sister (and, for that matter, T*Witches), Party of Five and Punky Brewster all rate above the Bratz movies.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:19 pm

ugh how could any well known person do a voice for a show like that?

Little girls have enough problems in this world with not feeling like they fit in without some marketing person coming up with yet another thing telling them somethings wrong with the way they look, or dress, their weight or just being a little girl instead of a pop princess diva..ugh I just dont understand why dolls have to be hip or a mirror of idiot celebs (using the term loosely) like paris hilton. I just dont get the mentality behind these dolls at all.

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:34 pm

One thing I don't understand is why people continue to use 'Barbie' as an insult (like, "Malibu Barbie" or "Oh look, it's Prostitute Barbie"). Hey, at least Barbie can have multiple careers and still do some shopping. Bratz are just all "lawlz boyz and makeup n clothez n party lolz n lotz of z's".
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:42 pm

SeiUsa wrote:One thing I don't understand is why people continue to use 'Barbie' as an insult (like, "Malibu Barbie" or "Oh look, it's Prostitute Barbie"). Hey, at least Barbie can have multiple careers and still do some shopping. Bratz are just all "lawlz boyz and makeup n clothez n party lolz n lotz of z's".

I agree even at the worst Barbie has never purposely been marketed to make little girls feel inadequete. Though there have been a few grown women who have gone off the deep end to look like her..ugh. If I had a little girl I would definately buy her a barbie doll over a bratz doll my only fear is with the way they cram those darn Bratz down your throat a little girl would probably pick them instead.

to put it quite simple right now Barbie's big market is a karoke american idol thing which while can be annoying isnt bad. Or her fairy princess or dancing princess dolls which to me are cute and promote fantasy and imagination. Bratz stab at that is a fashion pixie...um wth since when did pixies care about fashion? Last I checked they were woodland beings who only lived to play mischeivous pranks and protect their homes. They werent worried about hot clothes.

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:48 pm

Bratz are basically slutty Barbies, in my opinion, and their setting a horrible example for our younger generation. When a young girl sees a Bratz doll, then their automatically going to think it's ok to dress in skimpy clothes, and it's just not okay for a young'un to be all skimpy and all that.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:39 am

Ugh, my god I hate the whole Bratz everything. It's what I would say is a big reason why society is getting more degraded in a sense. And the parents who give into this wonder why their kids act spoiled/slutty/whatever. It just really sickens me in words I can't excatly find right now. Working at the toy store a while back, I always cringed selling these things.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:41 am

Senshi_of_Vision wrote: Or her fairy princess or dancing princess dolls which to me are cute and promote fantasy and imagination.
And really poor movies. Well, except for The Barbie Diaries, which was mildly engaging.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:49 am

Let's not forget about bratz babies/toddlers with their lacy, glittery underwear that looks like thongs! I remember when I first saw a commercial for Bratz Babyz. I was completely and utterly horrified. Bratz the teenager was bad enough.. but babies? .. Babies in F*@#ing THONGS?

As SeiUsa pointed out; At least Barbie had careers. Sure she had her own hair stylist bust, make-up play set and fashion centers, but there were other things to her. She was a nurse, a doctor, a vet, I think even a teacher. And in any of her commercials that showed her cousins/siblings, the Barbie was modeled to be responsible by taking care them. Things that could possibly contribute something positive in the life and development of young girls. I never played with dolls as a child, but I can see that Barbie had the potential to be more of a positive influence to young girls. Something more than a simple fashion doll, even if the children playing with them didn't realize it at the time. When I child got "Teacher Barbie" she pretended that she was a teacher in a classroom. You know. Something positive.

What does Bratz give you? The ability to help dial your cellphone faster? How to tell if your man is giving you a real diamond? Don't buy cotton underwear - you want the black lacy kind. >_>

... Yeah... I'm done now.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:52 am

LOL I fortunately havent had to watch any of her movies, though during halloween I did get a show from a little girl dressed as the dancing princess barbie so Im guessing it was close to that.

And I agree with you Dan, people wonder why the mentality of children are so warped now adays. But when toys and dolls like this that try to make them grow up before their times or glorify idiotic things like being Bratty or spoiled or diva like its a wonder.

Im guessing half those troubled teens you see on the talk shows probably love them Bratz dolls as well.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:16 am

Tempest wrote:Let's not forget about bratz babies/toddlers with their lacy, glittery underwear that looks like thongs! I remember when I first saw a commercial for Bratz Babyz. I was completely and utterly horrified. Bratz the teenager was bad enough.. but babies? .. Babies in F*@#ing THONGS?
THAT is what disturbs me the most. Derek and I saw those at wal-mart one day and were absolutely horrified. The baby was wearing bling and lingerie, for god's sake!

Honestly, if I have a baby girl, there's no way in hell she'll be buying certain toys, Bratz included.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Kohdok
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Kohdok » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:33 am

What disturbs me most about those things is the fact that they have no noses to speak of...

I've seen some for sale at Tuesday Morning (Which depresses me, I love that store) which means they cannot be selling as well anymore (I pray).

Yeah, people growing up before their time. That's been a theme in a lot of media, lately. The age where you are "too old" to go trick-or-treating drops by one year every year, it seems.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:40 pm

I dont know all that much about them but personally I think they are really ugly.

Their faces seem to be the results of way too much plastic surgery. I dont know if I'm just being nutz here but thats the impression I get from them.

And plastic surgery being "cool" isnt a message little kids need.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:58 pm

I agree wholeheartedly Sailormars obssessed fan I mean come on how many little girls that you know with normal parents have faces like that? Or wear makup that thick? And the lingere and thong thing is just scary. As a grown woman I feel inapropriate in attire like that so I cannot imagine condoning it for a child. Its as the old saying goes You know Heck is coming in a handbasket when you see signs like this. These dolls are just plain poor taste and I wonder how the people behind them sleep at night? But they probably dont care with all the loot they are making off this junk.

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:43 pm

When they first came out I didn't think they would last one month. They're essentially the: rich, spoiled, materialistic, brainless, vain, female stereotype. They look like really cheap whores, and they espouse soulless materialistic values.

What parent buys this for their child? What child even wants this? I asked myself. Nutty far-right family groups will be up in arms. I told myself. The free market will eliminate this trash. I believed.

Then I heard their product line was extended, and I was horrified. Then I heard they got their own TV show, and I lost all faith in humanity.

Barbie presented an ideal (even if unattainable). She had different carriers and inspired girls imaginations and dreams of becoming productive members of society. She seemed a little materialistic at times, but that really depended on market conditions and executive decisions.

The Bratz are whores (if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...)
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:48 pm

Gamer8585 wrote:
What parent buys this for their child? What child even wants this? I asked myself.
You know, to be honest? My students don't even like Bratz. They actually prefer Dora the Explorer, who is a far better role model than the Bratz.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:14 pm

Bratz are freaking creepy. They look like their faces mutated in some sort of horrible burrito microwaving accident...

*cough* Oh yeah, bad influences and such...

All these Bratz things are good for is modeling vapid twits for young girls to impersonate. The dolls are ugly, dressed like whores, and they represent nothing of value. My niece apparently likes these things, but I downright refuse to buy her any Bratz related toys.

Barbie may have had an unrealistic body, but at least she had careers, and she was shown taking good care of her little sisters and all of her pets. Not that I would know anything about Barbie's careers. Mine were too busy jumping off of furniture and retrieving ancient artifacts from Closets of Doom to be doctors. ^^;
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:17 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:
Barbie may have had an unrealistic body, but at least she had careers, and she was shown taking good care of her little sisters and all of her pets. Not that I would know anything about Barbie's careers. Mine were too busy jumping off of furniture and retrieving ancient artifacts from Closets of Doom to be doctors. ^^;
XDDD I always had little Barbie soap operas. I swear, they were SO dramatic and complex.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:30 pm

Ugh...

I grew away from this stuff when I discovered Legos, and same thing for my sister with her barbies...

Barbies, teh reason they're called as insults is because... you'd be seen as anorexic, or bullimic, or have some kind of eating disorder. But yes, they're FAR better then the "Boratz/Bratz" dolls... *shudder*

... Babies... in... thongs... *twitch* I must turn my GCN on for a moment. *gone 10 minutes* Okay, Pichu is dead.
Our culture has died, that's all I can say. We, as a country, idolize people who have no talent, no skill, and no real worthwhile vaule in any kind of society that would work. It started in the 50's, with Marylin Monroe, and it's only gotten worse. Virtually all the "Mickey Mouse Club" girls are now stupid spoiled whores, to use South Park's description.

We do not idolize intellectualism, self-confidence, and self-esteem. We idolize instead being tan (skin cancer), trying to get boyfriends/girlfriends and do ANYTHING (STD, Pregnancies), reckless behavior (drinking and driving, drugs, etc...), and scores more of issues... it's horrid. Music doesn't help either. The mainstream is by these same Mickey Mouse girls who have no talent in singing, or even WRITING. there's no good music from the most "popular" groups, or anything MTV puts out. Other groups are good, but overall, we have no real good memory of our time. The 60's and 70's had Rock & Roll, Elvis, and the Beatles. We... have boy bands. There's too many issues that cause this Bratz thing... and I never want to TOUCH one...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06