What is everyone's religion???

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Kali
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

What is everyone's religion???

Post by Kali » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:43 pm

I am asking this because i myself am a Wiccen andi know this is not a very well known religion. My patron goddess is Kali as you can see from my name and icon ^_^

So what is eveyrone elses religion??? Are u very religious or do you only practice on holidays?? Do u feel people misunderstand your religion?? Talk about all this here.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:25 pm

I don't really have a set religion, I don't think. I'm still trying to figure myself out. I'm a Christian in the sense that I do believe in god and Jesus, etc. But I do not attend church, and never really have (save for a few times I attended with a friend or two). I didn't grow up with parents who raised us with one religion or another. They raised us with Christian values, and Mom read from the children's bible to us as really young kids.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:38 pm

I don't have a religion. But that doesn't stop me from believing in God. I haven't been baptised into any religions, but I'm probably a Christian. I don't mind other people's beliefs, but I just get really uncomfortable when it seems like other people go on and on about their religion (like the pastors you typically see on TV every Sunday morning). Like when I went to the Christian school, Bible class made me very uncomfortable... I was pretty much the only kid in the class (and probably in the school) who had never read the Bible before. ^^;; I don't know, that's probably really stupid of me to say, but I've never been brought up with strong religious beliefs. So maybe that's just what it is.

I just mostly feel like, as long as I believe in God, and acknowledge him as our Holy Father, then that's really all I need, because I know God will still love me if I know he's there, and acknowledge he's there.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:40 pm

Same.

I was raised Catholic but after my dad passed away i stopped attending church (at first because I was just sad and then I kinda realized i don't know what I truly believe yet). I firmly believe in God and Jesus but I am by no means a devout church-goer or preacher at all.

I don't go to church now because I don't like feeling pressured to have an exact opinion on something (abortion, homosexuality, etc.)

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:43 pm

Mormon aka LDS aka Latter-day Saint

Taking a hiatus tho at the moment, I need a break from them due to several reasons, but i still consider myself mormon.

TBA

Kali
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Kali » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:52 pm

AnimeGuru0 i am very interested to hear more of your religion!! ^^ i have always heard weird things about the Mormons and it is interesting to meet someone of that faith who can clear things up. what exactly is Mormonism and why is it different from christianity?? My older brother seems to think t just means you have lots of wives and cant drink coffee but for example why is it called "Mormon"??? It would be nice if you could let us know ^^

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:58 pm

I am an agnostic and an atheist. It's a bit more complex than just the labels, so I'll explain my philosophy on the subject:

A god is described as an omnipotent being. That means it can do anything based on pure will. Now, that raises some logical inferences. It means that the god can create contradictions--could make 2=1; make a rock so big that he couldn't lift it, and then lift it anyway; make time flow backwards or anything else. It also follows that if an omnipotent being had any desires, it could fulfill them without any medium. There is no reason to create anything, not even other consciousnesses, since the god could get whatever it wanted from them simply by willing it.

Now, I'll allow that there could still be such a being, but only if all the laws of logic are wrong. But in that case, we can't say what the nature of such a being would be. We can't say that it would send us to a heaven for helping our fellow people or send us to a hell for murdering. For all we know, it could be the other way around. For that matter, it might be that all the blond people are going to heaven and the dark-hairs to hell.

So my view is that I'm not going to worry about pleasing or angering any greater being and just live as if this is all that we have.

As a post-script, any religious feelings I do have I reserve for Sailor Moon and the senshi. It has all the good parts of religion--paradise to come, being one of the chosen people--without the bad parts like service and sin and penance.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:40 pm

i suppose im catholic. that is, i've been baptized and am dragged to church about once a month. i belive in god and stuff, but i don't like being told what to belive by bibles and priests and people. i'd rather figure out what i belive for myself. most of my friends are atheists, with a few jews and one friend who's a die-hard christian. i love her and stuff, but she can get obnoxious about how wonderful god is and how much she hates mormens (we got into a huge fight over that) so it really annoys me how some people shove their religions down people's throats.

so kali, you're wiccan? i've read about that religion, and it sounds pretty cool. maybe i'll convert some day. who knows. im pretty iffy about my religion, i guess.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:53 pm

I'm Roman Catholic and I seem to be in the minority of those who go to church every sunday. And no I'm not forced, I go on my own free will. It gets me out of bed Sunday mornings or else I would sleep till like four in the afternoon. Well, I guess there are sometimes I miss due to laziness or hangovers, but not frequently.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by kingofgames » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:59 pm

I;m a Southern Christian Baptist. I dont go to church every Sunday, but I express my faith in prayers.
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:08 pm

Kali wrote:AnimeGuru0 i am very interested to hear more of your religion!! ^^ i have always heard weird things about the Mormons and it is interesting to meet someone of that faith who can clear things up. what exactly is Mormonism and why is it different from christianity?? My older brother seems to think t just means you have lots of wives and cant drink coffee but for example why is it called "Mormon"??? It would be nice if you could let us know ^^
Mormons are Christians. They're just another sect like presbyterians, catholics, pentecostals, baptists, etc. They're a little different than most other sects though.

Mormons are actually members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. "Mormon" is just a nickname because they believe in a book called "The Book of Mormon" in addition to the bible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_ ... day_Saints

That's a good and fair source to answer your questions.

PS - Mormons aren't polygamists.

TBA

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:23 pm

I was baptized and confirmed Catholic. However, I've always felt inside myself to be an Agnostic, and that is how I label myself. I tend towards believing in some kind of a higher power, but not necessarily the Christian God.

But I've always been unsure, hence the Agnosticism. And I've always found it very hard to have faith of any kind. I do pray sometimes, but its usually just a general "to whoever is listening, if anyone even IS" kind of thing.

So, I don't really have a religion. I do go to church with my family occassionally though.

I also don't believe in heaven and hell, because I feel they are too strictly defined and it could never be that simple.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:53 pm

My parents raised me as a member of the Church Of Christ (the non-denomational one; no relation to the Latter-Day Saints) and I was baptized, but now I'm not really sure what I believe anymore. Part of me still believes in the possibility of the existence of a god but the other part of me finds it hard to accept any of the current religions of the world. I just think if such an all-powerful God was really desperate for us to follow his word, he would leave his message in a way that's less easier to tamper with than oh say, a centuries year old book. And I just get kind of sick of all these different religions going around trying to convince you why their opinions are right and why yours isn't yet none of them have really proven the existence of God yet. But while I don't believe it's possible yet to prove God's existence, I also believe it's impossible to prove that he doesn't exist.

I guess I'm leaning more towards being agnostic but I'm still unsure of a lot of things. I know for certain that I don't believe in the religion my parents raised me in anymore, but I still go to church with them just to keep them happy until whenever I can move out (however far away that may be). My parents are the overly-zealot religious fanatics who would flip out if I even suggested I wanted to stop going to church and I don't want to have to deal with all the people from their congregration bugging me to come back all the time. There's just too many things about them that I disagree with, like their policies on homosexuality, the death pentalty, and some of their other beliefs that seem contradictory to me, so once I'm able to live on my own, I definetly won't be going back to that religion anymore, that much I do know.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Rivalee
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Rivalee » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:10 pm

I'm born christian and confirmed, but I don't really believe in the bible or God. Instead, I believe in Gaia (the earth), the spirits of nature and supernatural stuff. I don't know if this is considered as a religion, but I always reply like this when people I chat with ask me (they sometimes think I'm a muslim because I'm still a virgin). Some of them thinks my belief is weird, while others finds it interesting.
My youtube-account / My multiply-account

I dunno. I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box. And then when I put it on, I suddenly got this feeling of inner peace. I can´t put it into words. I feel... safe. Like this is where I was meant to be. Like I´d found the key to true happiness.
~Snake from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

I´m some kind of high powered mutant, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Bad luck! I´m are suffering from Rivalee´s Syndrome.
Cause: thinking too hard
Symptoms: aphasia, vague gills, mildly squeaky voice, eyelid swelling
Cure: cryogenic freezing until science catches up

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:04 am

I'm a Southern Christian Baptist. However, I don't really enjoy going to chruch and I'm kind of going through some major thought changes at the moment. Here, people tend ot look down on you if you aren't all holy and I can't stand it. Living in the Belt Buckle of the Bible Belt can do that to you, I guess.
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

Kali
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Kali » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:32 am

the*blue*girl wrote:so kali, you're wiccan? i've read about that religion, and it sounds pretty cool. maybe i'll convert some day. who knows. im pretty iffy about my religion, i guess.
Yup ^^ i grew up in a family where my mom was Hindu and my dad is Christian so I was alwyas told to choose my own path in religion and find my own faith. my religion is Wicca because i like its philosophies and magick works for me, but i worship with Hindu gods and to some extents i believe that all gods are aspects of the same divine nature which is also in all of us.

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:34 am

I'm a Muslim. ^^ Believe in Allah/God, his Prophets (including Jesus), his holy books, angels, and all.
I was raised a Muslim, but never really /practised/ practised (cover my hair and dress modestly outside of when going to school, regular five-prayers-a-day, and such) until I was around 11/12.
I never stopped beliving in Allah, but I was just... lazy or something back then, I don't know. ^^;
I think it was my love for nature and animals that got me praying regularly and everything, 'cause, as much as I hate life, I /LOVE/ the world. It's soooo pretty and I just wanted to thank my God for it all and... xD; Wow. I sound so lame.
Gah, I can't explain it. ^^;; I just...
I'm just... a Muslim. ^^;
My Art - My LiveJournal

Zeta from Bulbagarden. xD
>>>Lucario learns a move called "Tonbogaeri". This is a move in Judo feauturing a kick to the groin. Yes, they''ve actually made "Kick Him in the Nuts" an attack. It should SO do 150% more damage to male Pokemon. XD

Kazuki
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Kazuki » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:11 am

I'm an atheist, never really did believe in anything ^^;

Who knows, I could have a religion later on in life, but for now, I'm atheist xD
Muahahahaha, Kirby will kill you all!..with a boiling cauldron of hot water.... =D!

Meh DA: http://tidus-chan.deviantart.com/

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:06 am

It hasn't been said yet, but with such a controversial topic, I feel that this should be made clear:

Do not, under ANY circumstances, insult anyone's choice of beliefs/lack thereof. This is possibly one of the most explosive topics to deal with not only here, but in the real world as well, and I know there are those out there that will feel the need to ridicule. If I get the sense that that's going to happen here, the topic will be locked, no questions asked.

I'll post my opinions later.

EDIT: Reworded a somewhat insulting remark.
Last edited by Starscream on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:32 am

Im a combination of foundationist and monist.

I think God is too big to be explaned fully by humans and that all Gods from all different faiths are the same "entity" and that there are just different ways to seek him/her.

Personally the version of God I chose to follow is the cat goddess Bastet

I hope that makes some kinda sense.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain