So... what's everybody reading?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:38 pm

I just finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Wow Disney really screwed that one up.

Im going to start through the looking glass soonish.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:58 pm

I'm reading two-Sense and Sensibility and Prince Caspian.

I'm reading Sense and Sensibility for a English paper/project and I'm reading Prince Caspian before the release of the film version which is coming out soon.

I also was reading Memoirs of a Geisha in Spanish, but I've put off on that now, mainly reading it for fun and refreshing my memory because I've read it once before in English.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:01 pm

Just today I've started on reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyers.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

supersailorearth
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by supersailorearth » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:51 pm

My Summer Reading Books *Gags and dies from lack of air*

Alas Babylon
and
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Im too lazy to go look at the authors, but frankly I don't care either.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:14 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Just today I've started on reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyers.
I went to my library today and all the Twilight books were checked out :( . I'm gonna try tomorrow, I'm a bit wary of spending money on Twilight because I fear that I might read it and then get disappointed, everyone (seriously, EVERYONE that I know) are hypnotized and telling me that it's a great book.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:00 pm

I just finished reading 'The Earth, my butt and other big round things.' It's nice to get a book that allows the reader to experience the life of a plus size teen. I'm tired of all this emphasis on size zeros.

I have to read 'The handmaid's tale', '1984' and 'Brave new world' over the summer for my second year of english literature.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:50 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Just today I've started on reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyers.
I went to my library today and all the Twilight books were checked out :( . I'm gonna try tomorrow, I'm a bit wary of spending money on Twilight because I fear that I might read it and then get disappointed, everyone (seriously, EVERYONE that I know) are hypnotized and telling me that it's a great book.
Allow me to join them- it's a great book :]

Anyway, I just finished "1984" by George Orwell, a birthday present from my friend. It was good, proof that not all classics are boring.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:57 pm

I've just started reading the third book in The Dresden Files series and Dune by Frank Herbert.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 pm

I just finished Lost by Gregory Macguire (Wicked, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, etc.). It was pretty good, I liked it better than I did Mirror, Mirror. It wasn't as good as Wicked or Confessions (my fave) though. It was really confusing, but maybe unclear is a better word. For most of the book you don't know if the narrator is insane, possesed, or just seeing and hearing things. It was really interesting.

Also I finished Breaking Dawn (and therefore the available books in the Twilight series) while I was with my state youth choir. I can't wait for Midnight Sun to come out! I've always wondered what it would be like to hear things from Edward's perspective. I plan on reading The Host soon, but my bookstore didn't have it in the last time I went. : (
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:33 am

I'm currently reading the 7th book of the Dresden Files: Dead Beats.
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:14 pm

I've just started reading The Wheel Of Time: The Eye Of The World by Robert Jordan.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:14 am

I just finished reading the first two books in the Eragon series. I decided to check out the movie after that and wow butchered much
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:20 am

I just finished reading The Handmaid's tale and I found it to be an amazing book
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:35 am

Just finished the 7th book of the Dresden Files, and now I am starting the 8th
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

Kelsey
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Kelsey » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:12 am

I just started 'The Memory Keeper's Daughter.'

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:21 am

I just read the 3rd in the Eragon series. Brisingr.

It was pretty good. So far I like Eldest the best but still great stuff.

And kudos to Chrisopher Paolini for the Dr. Who reference :)

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:08 pm

I'm pretty far into Running With Scissors. It's pretty good, but it's really odd...not confusing so much as just...wierd. It's a little perverted, but I like it. It's very easy to read, and just makes you want to read "just one more chapter." It's hard to believe people actually did these things though (it's a non-fiction memior), for example:
[spoiler]There's a whole section where the psychiatrist thinks that God is communicating with him through his bowel movements, and he has his daughter put them outside on a picnic table to dry...[/spoiler]
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 pm

I finished reading Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto and the next book I'll read is Slave.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:59 am

Mary Poppins. Quite interesting, actually.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:08 pm

I just started A Lion Among Men!!! It's the third book in the Wicked series by Gregory Maguire, and it's pretty good so far. I love this series.