So... what's everybody reading?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:00 pm

I'm reading "His Dark Materials" too (I'm on the third one) and I LOVE it. Now I really want to see how the movie turned out!

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:48 am

I'll be starting James Clavell's Whirlwind pretty soon.

Love the Asian saga...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:34 pm

I finished the golden compass. very good story.

Before I start the subtle knife Im reading one of my other christmas books.

Its called Time Cat and is about a boy and his pet cat traveling to 9 different periods of history. Its cute so far.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:00 pm

I'm currently reading "Rhapsody: The Child of Blood" by Elizabeth Haydon. It's a really good book so far, and the only reason I even picked it up was because the first review on another one of her books compared her to David Eddings, Robert Jordan, and Terry Goodkind, my 3 favorite Fantasy authors. Now I need to get the other 2 books in the Rhapsody series...
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:20 pm

I started to read The Subtle Knife the other day and its really cool so far.

If they make a movie out of this book [spoiler] they got some massive catching up to do since the movie of the golden compass essentially cut the ending out. The part where Lyra's father betrays and "kills" the boy, and where Lyra crosses into another world. I dont know why they cut that out of the movie. It would have been like making a movie out of Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, and cutting out the part with the mynistry of magic at the end.[/spoiler][/quote]
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:01 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:I started to read The Subtle Knife the other day and its really cool so far.

If they make a movie out of this book [spoiler] they got some massive catching up to do since the movie of the golden compass essentially cut the ending out. The part where Lyra's father betrays and "kills" the boy, and where Lyra crosses into another world. I dont know why they cut that out of the movie. It would have been like making a movie out of Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, and cutting out the part with the mynistry of magic at the end.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

[spoiler]I guess they cut that stuff out because they didn't want to get into the part where Lord Asriel talks about the dust and the bible. That way they could keep all the religious references out of the movie. The director already said though that if they make the sequel, they'll have to put back the religious componants. That means they're going to have some massive holes to fill as well as catching up. Should be interesting to see how they pull it off.[/spoiler]

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:42 pm

im working on the Amber Spyglass now and am more then halfway through it in less then two days (which for me, unless its a book in the Warriors series, is a lot)

All I have to say is WOW!!!

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:im working on the Amber Spyglass now and am more then halfway through it in less then two days (which for me, unless its a book in the Warriors series, is a lot)

All I have to say is WOW!!!
The ending made me cry so much.
Ah, I won't say anymore! I totally ruined the ending for my friend, and she still hasn't forgiven me for it. My point is The Amber Spyglass is and amazing ending to the series.

Anyway, I'm reading The Mists Of Avalon, which simply put is the story of King Athur told from Morgaine le Fay and Gwenhyfar's perspectives. It's been keeping me from sleeping. I literally have to force myself to put it down every night.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:41 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:
If they make a movie out of this book [spoiler] they got some massive catching up to do since the movie of the golden compass essentially cut the ending out. The part where Lyra's father betrays and "kills" the boy, and where Lyra crosses into another world. I dont know why they cut that out of the movie. It would have been like making a movie out of Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, and cutting out the part with the mynistry of magic at the end.[/spoiler]
.[spoiler]From what I've read, they ended the movie at an earlier point than the book to give the movie a more hopeful ending, but they will include the final scenes from the book at the beginning of the second movie, and the second and third movies will stay more accurate to the books with regards to the religious content. That is, if the first movie is successful enough for them to film the second and third movies.[/spoiler]
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:33 pm

Currently reading V for Vendetta the graphic novel and loving every moment of it.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:25 pm

I just finished reading Calico Captive a few days ago and am now reading The Red Queen's Daughter.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:22 pm

I just finished reading The Dresden Files: Storm Front by Jim Butcher and I'm now starting on Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:30 am

I finished amber spyglass and it was great.

Im currently working on

Warriors: Power of Three "The Sight"

It keeps up the level of awesomeness that the past Warriors books have had, and I again highly recommend these books to everyone on here.

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:16 pm

I just finished reading The Picture of Dorian Gray and I'm now reading Trixie Trader
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

lestamore
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by lestamore » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:30 am

I am reading Orlando by Virgina Woolf, and a book about the history of American popular reading. Good stuff!

It seems like I have a huge pile of books to get to eventually, but that's ok. I am enjoying the journey.

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:03 am

I've just finished the Subtle Knife, and am now reading Amber Spyglass. I bought a collection of all three for my boyfriend for Christmas, and then stole it so I could read them first, lol.

After I finish that, I really don't know what I'm going to read. :(

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:28 am

For a change of pace, I'm actually reading a non-fiction book for a change, and I've started on reading God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. I'm also nearly finished with reading The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman.

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm reading Mirror Mirror. It's an awesome version of Snow White. It's by the same author as Wicked, Son of a Witch, and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister (all of which are AWESOME). I'm also reading up on psychology. It's actually really interesting.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:11 pm

I've now started reading The Dresden Files: Fool Moon by Jim Butcher.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:01 pm

I've been reading all of the Glenbrooke series by Robin Jones Gunn. Right now I'm on the last book 'Wildflowers'.