Overated TV shows, songs, movies, and bands.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Napoleon Dynamite was overrated in my book. All that hype and then when I watch it I laughed maybe twice and wanted to fall asleep the rest of the time.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:23 pm

I liked Napolean Dynamite. I agree it wasn't in your face funny, but it was original.

I think Elton Johns "Candle in the wind" is overrated. It was a nice song but I think the only reason people bought it, was because of the dedication to Princess Diana.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:32 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:
I think Elton Johns "Candle in the wind" is overrated. It was a nice song but I think the only reason people bought it, was because of the dedication to Princess Diana.
Well, it was originaly written decades ago for Marilyn Monroe...he just re-wrote it for Diana, because the two of them were close supposedly.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:47 pm

I loooooooooooove Elton John. (Iknow, I'm odd) The Original Candle in the Wind was awesome. I know all the words. Ididn't really like the Princess Diana version though.

I think High School Musical was overated. It was ok at first, but after that it got tireing. I loathe Zac Effron.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:19 pm

I think High School Musical was overated. It was ok at first, but after that it got tireing. I loathe Zac Effron.
I agree. How can they call it original when nearly every show out there has done something like this?

Kim Possible-Talent contest
That's so Raven-Fashion Show, Talent contest and Musical
Life's Ruff-Dogshow

I know the idea of it being a Musical is original, but the plot's basically the same as the above.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:00 pm

TV Shows: Reality TV, All of new Nickelodeon and Disney Channel. Oh and any show on CW, especially Gossip Girl and One Tree Hill. MTV.

Music: Jonas Brothers! I HATE their cover of Hello Goodbye, I wanted to hang myself and IMO they can't sing.

Movies: Titanic for sure. The Notebook.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:16 am

Iced_Cappucino wrote:
I agree. How can they call it original when nearly every show out there has done something like this?
Hm? "Disney Channel Original Movie" just means it was produced for the channel, as opposed to other movies that were produced for cinema, video or other channels.

TV shows: The majority of American Network TV sitcoms. I really couldn't care for them. The few exceptions really run to Arrested Development.

Movies: Any movie that people are calling the "worst movie ever" will usually fit this description. Sure, Gigli was bad, and Battlefield Earth made no sense, but neither crossed the boundaries from just "crap" to "pure, unadulterated, 100% crap" like Space Thing.

Music: Not too fond of Katy Perry's stuff. OK, she kissed a girl and liked it. So what? Tegan and Sara also kiss girls. As does Melissa Etheridge. Gotta get a new gimmick there.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:19 am

I know im in the minority with this response but its how I feel.

I just saw the dark knight and I think it's hardly oscar worthy, and also I never thought Heath Ledger was that great of an actor to begin with.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:19 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:Music: Not too fond of Katy Perry's stuff. OK, she kissed a girl and liked it. So what? Tegan and Sara also kiss girls. As does Melissa Etheridge. Gotta get a new gimmick there.
Agreed 100%. She really just reminds me of those high school girls who run around saying that they kiss other girls, just to get boys' attention.
Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:I never thought Heath Ledger was that great of an actor to begin with.
Also agreed. He wasn't bad, but I never thought he was the kind of amazing that he was portrayed as. Then again, I don't get the hype surrounding most actors/actresses who end up with Oscars.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:25 am

NameGoesHere wrote:
Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:I never thought Heath Ledger was that great of an actor to begin with.
Also agreed. He wasn't bad, but I never thought he was the kind of amazing that he was portrayed as. Then again, I don't get the hype surrounding most actors/actresses who end up with Oscars.
Im convinced the only reason he was even considered for that oscar is because hes dead and because of Brokeback Mountian. He could have played a trained sea otter in a movie and gotten an oscar for it.

But then again if Fargo can win oscars then anything can

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:08 am

TV Shows: That's So Raven, omg, hate it!
Music: Nickleback. Also, though many might disagree, I think U2 is overrated. Not to say they're awful, but I don't think they're as good as everybody says.
Movies: As of the past couple years, everything the Wayne's Brothers do. Little Man, White Chicks, come on!

As for the Heath Ledger thing, I never thought he was a great actor either. Nice to look at, but not a great actor. However, when I saw the trailer for the Dark Knight (this was before his death), I was amazed at his portrayal of the Joker. I remember asking Kiel who was playing the Joker, and him telling me it was Ledger. I didn't believe him. The fact that I couldn't even recognize Ledger kind of convinced me that he was really good in that role.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:50 pm

wink568 wrote:
As for the Heath Ledger thing, I never thought he was a great actor either. Nice to look at, but not a great actor. However, when I saw the trailer for the Dark Knight (this was before his death), I was amazed at his portrayal of the Joker. I remember asking Kiel who was playing the Joker, and him telling me it was Ledger. I didn't believe him. The fact that I couldn't even recognize Ledger kind of convinced me that he was really good in that role.
This. I never thought he was great overall, but I think he nailed that role. I was amazed and completely transfixed with that movie. It was amazing.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:39 pm

One word Twilight.
Im sure its good and all but it gets too much hype and the guy that plays Edward whatever his name is not sexy.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:48 pm

SailorBallerinaMoon wrote:One word Twilight.
Im sure its good and all but it gets too much hype and the guy that plays Edward whatever his name is not sexy.
Amen! I'm in the third book and I think the series mediocore at best. Give me a Jane Austen book any old day.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:59 pm

How could I forgot the Jonas Brothers? Theyre not hot, their music sux and their pants are way too tight.

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:17 pm

High School Musical!!!

my goodness gracious, the first one was tolerable to a degree and I thought it was "cute" for what it was but man oh man has this morphed into a fucking monster over night. :x
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Passions55 wrote:High School Musical!!!

my goodness gracious, the first one was tolerable to a degree and I thought it was "cute" for what it was but man oh man has this morphed into a fucking monster over night. :x
Agreed, I wanna kill people who say it's the next Grease...hell no. And I freaking hate Zac Efron, he's not the least bit attractive IMO.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Oh how could forget Hannah Montana? Im sick of going to the store and seeing her face plastered everywhere.

Chase Man!
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Chase Man! » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Well girls, keep in mind, despite grabbing some teenager here and there (I wan't mention names), the stuff is really aimed for preteens/tweens. Hey, it worked on my sister...