Overated TV shows, songs, movies, and bands.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Chibi chibi star
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Overated TV shows, songs, movies, and bands.

Post by Chibi chibi star » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:31 pm

Ok, what TV shows, bands, songs, or movies do you think are overated? Here are some of mine (remember, this is in my opinion):

Movie: The Matrix Revolutions. The first one was great, but then after Reloaded, the producers seemed to be running out of ideas.

Song: Miss Independent by Kelly Clarkson. They play it WAAAAYYY too much on the radio. Plus, I could sing and write a song better than that.

TV show: Joe Millionare. It shows people how oversexed and money grubbing those women are. Plus, I think it's low and creul to lie to people.

Let me know what you think!
I wish on a star...
Just to be with you...
Please find me...
Call my name for me...
I'll be there for you...
My only love...

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:44 pm

Movie: The Patriot. I don't quite get why Mel Gibson's son is speaking in correct dialect for the time while Melly is speaking exactly like he did in Signs.

Song: Anything by John Mayer. I dislike his songs, and I'm confused as to how he got all those Grammys.

TV Show: Spongebob Squarepants. It's not very funny.
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:46 pm

TV: Reality television, in general. It doesn't look like the idea is losing steam, yet it's all garbage.

Movie: Gosford Park. Meh?

Music: No opinion...yet ¬_¬
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

MonkeyDLuffy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by MonkeyDLuffy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:16 pm

TV-Show- Well, I know, in AZ, I was the only one to like it after the summer it came out, and I so got picked on. AND NOW ITS EVERYWHERE! I like when things are for me only >.< *is very selfish*

Band: Well, Blink 182 was WAY overrated for a while. I don't listen to music anymore ^^;; I'm not hip with it.

Movie= Hmm, Matrix in general. Everything is Matrixy these days.
"I Need you Baby Baby
DOKIDOKI suru
Baby Baby kuchibiru ga
Baby Baby
Romance furueru
Baby Baby hoho wo yosete
Baby Baby kimagure ne
Baby Baby
Sore de mo shiawase
HORA kibou ga mieru
HORA kagayaku no
HORA hajimaru wa!"

~Romance, Ayaka Komatsu

MiyukiMoon
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by MiyukiMoon » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:10 pm

Music: Mostly anything by Britanny Spears, and in the R&B world Ashanti.

TV: I would say American Idol. People like... worship this show. I don't see anything remotely entertaining about it. And anyone notice that over half these tv made stars/bands are forgotten in a year?

Movie: Any of the new Star Wars movies.
CODENAME WA MOON PRISM POWER...
Tsuki no Hikari

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:39 pm

TV: Any reality show but mostly Survivor, because this is the one that started the new trend and it still has a following of people who think it's actually classier than Jerry Springer on an island.

Movies: Probably Legally Blonde, I just saw that a few months back and don't get at all what was supposed to make it the classic comedy I kept hearing it is.

Music: Creed, nuff said.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

J Anderson
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by J Anderson » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:32 pm

music: Rob Zombie and Glenn Danzig. These two really need to stop taking the whole demon thing too seriously. And while I have no problem with Only Women Bleed, I really wish Alice cooper would stop offering up rewrites to this song on each new album. I'm also sick of hearing Right Thurr on the radio.

RyoRei0110
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RyoRei0110 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:44 pm

TV: Reality shows.. But they're kinda good to watch when your bored, though.

Movies: The Matrix and LotR series. They're good, but they're everywhere @[email protected]

Music: n/a for now.
::cries:: Its been forver!! And this place has changed... oh how I''ve missed it all ::hugs::

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:30 am

Movies- Matrix Reloaded. Revolutions probably is as well. Reloaded was average at best. Another one is Harry Potter. I saw most of the first one and it's not too impressive IMO.

music- I second anything by John Meyer. Also Metallica who I never liked one bit and Norah Jones (the girl received 6 Grammy's and most of her songs are blah)

shows- Survivor. There was that huge craze and it's still popular. I never got into it. Most reality shows suck anyway and there's too many!!
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:10 am

Keep in mind that by overrated, it means you don't think it's any good, while others think it is. Saying that something is good but everywhere doesn't mean it's overrated.

TV: the WB. I hate 90% of the shows on there. I only watch maybe, 2, and that's only when I catch it accidentally. Spongebob Squarepants, too. It's just so damn stupid.

Movie: Independence Day. That movie got so much hype, and i STILL think it sucks.

Music: Elvis Prestly. I like very few of his songs. I think he's just plain annoying otherwise.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:00 pm

TV: Friends. It sucks. Its actors are getting paid massive amounts of money that make the cast of Seinfeld 7 years back look like they were getting pocket change. And recently fans have been complaining how the show will end this season with "only" ninteen episodes. Big whoop.

Oh, and any and all reality shows. Please leave us alone! This is MUCH worse than the game show fad back in 2000 because of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire".

Movies: The Martix, in general. I don't see the hype.

Music: 99% of all pop and rap in the last 5 years.
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:53 pm

Neo Dead Moon wrote:TV: Friends. It sucks. Its actors are getting paid massive amounts of money that make the cast of Seinfeld 7 years back look like they were getting pocket change. And recently fans have been complaining how the show will end this season with "only" ninteen episodes. Big whoop.
XD that's my favorite show! I'm personally one of those fans who's sad that it's ending.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:14 pm

Heehee Friends is one of my favorite sitcoms but I think it's time it comes to a close ;_;

I can't believe I forgot to mention Joe Millionare. I know I said I don't like most reality shows anyway (not all. I like America Idol and a few others) But I particularly have to add this one to my list with Survivor. ^^; I can't stand the guy from the show either.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:27 pm

Movies:

New Star Wars. They are okay... Attack of the Clones has Yoda the Bouncy Ball... but otherwise... horrid.

Matrix Reloaded. my god... it was bad...

LotR. The first was B.A.D. The second was okay... but... the books are MUCH better.

Harry Potter. The movies aren't that good at all...

TV:

ALL the reality shows like, "For Love or Money", "Survivor", "Paradise Hotel"
PH... dear god... "Hook up with someone or you are OUT!" that is horrid... FLoM, honestly, it gives a new defination to the word, "Greed"

Spongebob. honestly... how this became SUCH a fad... it scares me... and it looks horrid. Most Nickolodian shows ARE horrid... I wish they hadn't taken off their game shows... those were actually INTERESTING.

Shows like Dawsons Creek. only good thing about them? the mocking they get by SNL. ^_^

Books:
Harry Potter is kind of overrated... I like the books too.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:28 pm

Some reality TV shows are good. While You Were Out is good...
-Adam Picard-

Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:55 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:
Books:
Harry Potter is kind of overrated... I like the books too.
if you think it's good, then you shouldn't consider it overrated. Please read my post again. If you think something is overrated, then you beileve OTHERS rate it too highly, and you think it doesn't deserve it. If you think Harry Potter is good, then why would you think it's overrated?

And please don't post twice in a row like that.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:04 pm

Music: Rap :roll: I hate it.

TV: Reality shows, and most of what's on Nickelodeon nowadays. They had good shows when I was a kid, but I gave up on that channel years ago.

Anime: Cowboy Bebop. I mean, it's a good series, but I don't think it's as good as everyone says.

Movies: Matrix and its sequels. I haven't seen even the first one, and you know what? I don't want to.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Specter
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Specter » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:21 am

Music: Most rap (if it's about objectifying women and using 'words' like 'herre' and 'thurr', it most likely is overrated) and most pop

TV: Reality shows in general except for the Joe Schmo Show

Movies: I don't watch too many movies. Thus I can't rate what I don't watch

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:27 pm

Dinozore wrote:Music: Rap :roll: I hate it.

TV: Reality shows, and most of what's on Nickelodeon nowadays. They had good shows when I was a kid, but I gave up on that channel years ago.

Anime: Cowboy Bebop. I mean, it's a good series, but I don't think it's as good as everyone says.

Movies: Matrix and its sequels. I haven't seen even the first one, and you know what? I don't want to.
the first Matrix is SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE SEQUELS!!!
-Adam Picard-

-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:30 pm

Well, here's my two cents worth.

Music: Most rap and pop. (too much cursing and noise pollution.)

Movies: N/A

TV: "Reality" tv shows, "Beavis and Butt-Head", Cartoon Nutwork, need I go on?
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"