Movies you've seen recently

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Movies you've seen recently

Post by Sylphiel » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:35 am

...I THOUGHT there was a topic for this already, but I couldn't find it when I looked for it. So here goes, the two I saw last night....

Brokeback Mountain

Great and complex movie, not just "omggaycowboys" like everyone says. I watched it with my (straight) best friend and he enjoyed it too minus being squicked from the one sex scene. Very emotional and extremely sad, I almost cried in the end and I rarely do that with movies. ;_; Quite well done, and I can see why it was nominated for best picture. Everyone gave really good performances, especially the two main characters and their wives. Something I appreciated about the movie was that... I've tended to notice that in literature when women try to write a male/male relationship they make them too much like... women. Which annoys me, since they aren't, and I think this movie (based on a book by a woman, right?) managed to pull that distinction off nicely. Gay men are still men. I really liked Jack's character (probably because in ways he reminded me of myself)... when I first saw him I was like 'ZOMG IT'S DONNIE DARKO', lol. XD

Recommended? Yes. I give it an A

Chronicles of Narnia: TLWAW

I grew up watching the BBC versions of the first four books, and always liked them, but never really got around to reading them. I started reading TLWAW but never finished it or got to any of the others. I thought this movie was pretty similar to the BBC version only with an (obviously) far higher budget and in some cases better acting. My only complaint was I think Jadis could have been better... she had the evil part down, but she didn't really pull of the "fake nice" master manipulator part as much. The kids were all pretty good, especially Lucy. Peter was cute (then again I have a thing for red-haired knights. ^_~). Some of the CG was kinda corny.

Recommended? Yes. I'd give it a B, but only because I'm not really that big of a fan of the Narnia series... B+ if you are.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:14 am

Sylph, i completely agree about Brokeback Mountain. It was extremely touching, and a very, very good movie. I absolutely loved it, and cried like three times -_-

Narnia, I thought, was also excellent. I hadn't read the books before the movie (I bought the giant compilation after seeing it, though), so itw as pretty fresh to me. I adored it. I thought the acting was wonderful (Tumnus is my <3) and the music was just beautiful. Even Derek, who hardly likes ANY movies, and is a big Narnia fan, liked it.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Memoirs of a Geisha: I read the book about the same time the movie was released in theaters, but decided to wait on the DVD release. I think I got my expectations a bit too high on this one, because it didn't stick as close to the book as I would have liked. But it was still a very good movie and I recommend it highly.

Rasen (Spiral) and Ringu 0 (The Ring 0): the two that end The Ring series. I rented these at the same time I rented Memoirs of a Geisha, this past weekend. I'm a fan of The Ring series (the Japanese version, I hated the American version) and thought these were both well done. Ringu 0 I thought was the best in the series as it gave more insight as to why Sadako ended up in the well and why she is so angry at the world.

And I want to see Brokeback Mountain so badly.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:46 pm

jupiter23 wrote:Memoirs of a Geisha: I read the book about the same time the movie was released in theaters, but decided to wait on the DVD release. I think I got my expectations a bit too high on this one, because it didn't stick as close to the book as I would have liked. But it was still a very good movie and I recommend it highly.
I've only read the book (which I adore), and even looking at the previews, it doesn't seem like it follows it closely at all. I'm very hesitant about seeing this, becuase...it just doens't look very accurate.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:51 am

I just watched Brokeback Mountain with Kait tonight, and I'd say it was a pretty good movie. It didn't really click well with me (not because of the two main characters being gay, that didn't affect me except in the sex scene), but it's definetly deserving of the awards it got or was nominatted for. Like Kait said above, the guys were real, and acted just how guys would. It's definetly an eye-opener, and the ending parts were sad. Nice change of pace than having always happy endings, and kinda funny how the good movies tend to not always be happy at the end.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:40 am

Tiff wrote:
jupiter23 wrote:Memoirs of a Geisha: I read the book about the same time the movie was released in theaters, but decided to wait on the DVD release. I think I got my expectations a bit too high on this one, because it didn't stick as close to the book as I would have liked. But it was still a very good movie and I recommend it highly.
I've only read the book (which I adore), and even looking at the previews, it doesn't seem like it follows it closely at all. I'm very hesitant about seeing this, becuase...it just doens't look very accurate.
It isn't really very accurate, but they did keep some of the essential themes in. Like how [spoiler]in the beginning, it shows Chiyo and Satsu being taken from their home, showing that they had in fact been sold, but it doesn't show anything leading up to that. It shows Chiyo's mother sick in her bed, but doesn't explain that she was dying until later in the movie after Chiyo tried escaping from the okiya. Also, they didn't (in my opinion anyway) portray Hatsumomo to be as big of a bitch as she was in the book. Then there were several instances where they threw in things that never had happened in the book. For one, there was when Sayuri caught Hatusmomo in her room and demanded that she leave. In the book, Hatsumomo only got in trouble with Mother for that, but in the movie, they actually have her knock over a lamp or something that sets the okiya on fire, and that leads to her getting thrown out, not the fact that she is mentally unstable. Another thing was Sayuri, Mameha, and Pumpkin all being able to speak english. In the book they couldn't do that. There were dozens of other things that were changed or not explained fully in the movie from the book, but we'd be here all day if I go into them. [/spoiler]

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:14 pm

jupiter23 wrote: It isn't really very accurate, but they did keep some of the essential themes in. Like how [spoiler]in the beginning, it shows Chiyo and Satsu being taken from their home, showing that they had in fact been sold, but it doesn't show anything leading up to that. It shows Chiyo's mother sick in her bed, but doesn't explain that she was dying until later in the movie after Chiyo tried escaping from the okiya. Also, they didn't (in my opinion anyway) portray Hatsumomo to be as big of a bitch as she was in the book. Then there were several instances where they threw in things that never had happened in the book. For one, there was when Sayuri caught Hatusmomo in her room and demanded that she leave. In the book, Hatsumomo only got in trouble with Mother for that, but in the movie, they actually have her knock over a lamp or something that sets the okiya on fire, and that leads to her getting thrown out, not the fact that she is mentally unstable. Another thing was Sayuri, Mameha, and Pumpkin all being able to speak english. In the book they couldn't do that. There were dozens of other things that were changed or not explained fully in the movie from the book, but we'd be here all day if I go into them. [/spoiler]
Oh, that's shitty. Pfft. I dno't even want to see it now. Why the hell do movies insist on just adding random shit in!?

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:48 am

One movie I've recently seen was Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector.

...Bleugh, with a friggin' capital B.

The only real reason why I went to see it, was because my friend wanted to see it. And since it was his birthday, I didn't wanna turn him down and say no, so...

I regret seeing that movie. It was just so... You know, GROSS. That movie has since scarred me for life... I don't think I need to really explain why, I don't want to scar anyone else around here.

;_;

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:52 am

jupiter23 wrote: Rasen (Spiral) and Ringu 0 (The Ring 0): the two that end The Ring series. I rented these at the same time I rented Memoirs of a Geisha, this past weekend. I'm a fan of The Ring series (the Japanese version, I hated the American version) and thought these were both well done. Ringu 0 I thought was the best in the series as it gave more insight as to why Sadako ended up in the well and why she is so angry at the world.
Rasen was the non-canonical sequel, which was largely ignored by everyone. Strangely enough, it actually follows the source book more closely than Ring did, although in the book

[spoiler]Mai actually watches the tape and erases it, Sadako's offspring names herself "Masako" and the virus mutates to transmission through Asakawa's report of the events of the first book.[/spoiler]
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:03 am

I finally saw Brokeback Mountain last night, and I'm just going to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon for this one. That, in my opinion, is what a drama should be like. Something that looks like it could actually happen in real life to real people.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:58 pm

Rent

Dude. I've never seen the musical before, but I'm really glad I saw the movie. This is a really good adaptation with most of the original cast. I can't get over how great the music is, I've been listening to the soundtrack for the past few days. I'll admit the movie took me a while to get into it, for example I found the "Light My Candle" scene a bit weird at first. But once I did, whee. I think it was "Out Tonight/Another Day" that sold me. Really good voice talent, Mimi's actress (not in the original cast, either) has a gorgeous voice. Maureen (Idina Menzel) and Joanne (Tracie ..Thomas? I believe) are also amazing. Roger irritates me, but it fits his character. =P Not to mention the song "Without You" is just beautiful and has been getting me through a really tough time.

Recommended? Heck yes. A.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:24 pm

Inside Man

I've always liked caper films, but never Spike Lee movies. Fortunately the former won out here. There was some good foreshadowing of the eventual outcome, to the point where I said afterwards, "Oh yeah, I knew they were/weren't going to do that." The subplot of the bank's owner hiring Jodie Foster to ensure that, whatever the outcome of the robbery, his safety deposit box is not exposed loses a bit because it's not so new--I've seen the same thing on Law and Order. And one thing stretched my credulity a little: [spoiler]the criminals send a message to the cops on a bank drawer which we later learned is bugged. The cops wouldn't x-ray this thing or even take it out of the scene? [/spoiler] Denzel Washington gives his typical good leading performance, and I wouldn't mind seeing him go a whole series of smart-cop movies.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:57 pm

Phantom of the Opera

My mom showed me this film version, and while she loved it, I was torn. I've never seen it on Broadway but I've heard the original recordings. I have to say that although the Phantom was freakin' hot (mhm), he was... not a good singer? I mean, its hard to compare to Michael Crawford's Phantom, but he was just meh to me. Christine's singer had a lovely voice, but again, can't hold a candle to Sarah Brightman. The costumes were absolutely beautiful though. Carlotta was also funny. So I both liked and didn't like it.

Recommended? Maybe, depends on how much you like musicals and/or Phantom. B
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:33 pm

I agree that the Phantom's singing voice wasn't very good, but I did enjoy Christina's very much. I've never seen this musical live, but I adored the movie.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:06 pm

I thought Gerard Butler was pretty good, minus the parts where he had to sing high notes (like during Music of the Night @____>), and I liked Christine's voice. Of course I really can't stand Sarah Brightman's voice or Michael Crawford's, so I'm a bit biased.

I can't remember where I read it (I think Rottentomatoes.com) but someone defending Gerard Butler said "Michael Crawford sang about being angry, where as Gerard Butler actually sang angrily." I couldn't agree with this more.

*Somewhat off topic, but POTO is playing in Vancouver in August and I might get to go. W00T ^________^*
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:30 am

Tiffinator wrote:I agree that the Phantom's singing voice wasn't very good, but I did enjoy Christina's very much. I've never seen this musical live, but I adored the movie.
She did have a very good voice. I'm just partial to Sarah's Christine since... after all, the part was WRITTEN for her by ALW, her husband. For that reason IMO not really anyone can compare, at least I haven't heard anyone sing it quite like her. One of the scenes that really struck me as weaker was in POTO the song with the high notes at the end. Sarah just BELTS those and Emmy Rossum (sp?) hit them fine but she definitely didn't put the same emotion into it.
Peachy wrote:Of course I really can't stand Sarah Brightman's voice or Michael Crawford's ...
Blasphemy. =P

I agree, the movie Phantom pulled off "angrycrazyraaargh!!" way better than MC. But he irritated me at times (like as you said, the high note in Music of the Night... lol @[email protected]).

Oh and I'll add that Point of No Return was way hot in the movie. Yeesh. ;)
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:52 am

Last week I saw Scary Movie 4. It was very similar to the 3rd one, so if u liked that one, you'll probly like 4.

In Scary Movie 4 they parody The Village, Saw, War of the Worlds, among others. But everything seems out of order and thrown all over the place. The movie is real unorganized, just like the 3rd one.

It did have its funny parts tho. Anna Faris is so damn funny.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:08 pm

Sylphiel wrote:
She did have a very good voice. I'm just partial to Sarah's Christine since... after all, the part was WRITTEN for her by ALW, her husband. For that reason IMO not really anyone can compare, at least I haven't heard anyone sing it quite like her. One of the scenes that really struck me as weaker was in POTO the song with the high notes at the end. Sarah just BELTS those and Emmy Rossum (sp?) hit them fine but she definitely didn't put the same emotion into it.
Really? the part was written for her? I honestly didn't know that. I have a few Sarah Brightman songs (including music in the night) an dher voice is extremely powerful, and quite lovely.

I'd love to see it live, damn it. T_T it was in dallas like a week ago.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:54 pm

This is probably gonna sound stupid, but... is this just for live-action movies or can we talk about animated ones too? ^^;
Or should it have its own topic in the anime/manga forum?

... Maybe there is one already. -searches-
Or... anime movies need their own topics? ^^;; Oi. Now I sound stupid.
... Just... wondering.
And then... what about live-action/cartoon mixed movies? Like say, the Roger Rabbit one?
My Art - My LiveJournal

Zeta from Bulbagarden. xD
>>>Lucario learns a move called "Tonbogaeri". This is a move in Judo feauturing a kick to the groin. Yes, they''ve actually made "Kick Him in the Nuts" an attack. It should SO do 150% more damage to male Pokemon. XD

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:06 pm

I'd say animated movies count (like Disney, etc) as long as they aren't anime/manga movies. That should go in the other forum.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me