Cliques? Whozewhatzy?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Cliques? Whozewhatzy?

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue May 10, 2005 8:01 pm

Yes, cliques. Those lovely little groups that seem to pop up everywhere. Some see them as a catalyst for social acceptance, others see them as the spawn of Satan. But whatever a person's view on them may be, they are most likely part of one.

Preps, punks, geeks, goths, blah, blah, blah... Which group do people say you fit into the most, and do you think they are right?

Most people call me goth, or punk because of my clothing style, and my general "kiss my ass" attitude. Depending on what mood I'm in on a particular day, I've also had people try to peg me as a nerd, and even a happy-go-lucky type. (Scary...) Even more people have called me a "poser" because I sometimes wear spikes and chains, but I don't listen to "punk music" (old style punk, or the bubble punk of MTV).

For the most part, I don't argue with people. (Over this, anyway... ^^; ) I don't really care what group they want to put me in, I'll just act the way I act.

This thread is not for bashing any particular group, or arguing over what makes a person part of one group or another. I've seen topics like this devolve into endless bickering over whether or not Hot Topic is for posers, so don't do it, please.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Tue May 10, 2005 9:17 pm

I was never really in a group. I was always friends with everyone. I'd kind of migrate from group to group cause I was friends with people in each little group.

Not to say that there weren't "groups" at our school, cause there were, they just weren't that defined. They were just groups of friends with not much defining difference between them.

TBA

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue May 10, 2005 9:27 pm

I was always sort of with the outcasts. We weren't really..much of anything. Maybe a bit nerdy, but...we weren't extreme nerds or anything. We liked to read, we liked anime, we cared about school, but we knew how to laugha nd have fun.

And we knew how to skip class now and then. XD

I generally hung out with a small group of friends, probably no more than like..7 or 8. People knew I didn't take shit, but also knew I was a generally nice person. I was just..left alone, really, after 9th grade. Before that, well..that was pure hell.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Tue May 10, 2005 10:22 pm

extreme nerds
best oxymoron ever. XD Calculus...TO THE EXTREME!!

Like Bob I wasn't really *in* a clique, I could move fairly freely from one group to another. But like Tiff, too, I was an outcast. It's kind of hard to explain. I didn't really fit into any one group, so I fit a little into each. Yeah?
I consider myself a "light punk" now...I don't even know if it's a real classification: I can't be classified by my music type (in my CD player right now...Tarzan OST, Linkin Park, Josie and the Pussy Cats OST, Neil Young, and Nirvana. 0_o), or by the way I dress, though I usually go black and baggy. I'm thinking of getting purple streaks in my hair. I tend to like punks more than other cliques and make friends easier with them. To be fair, though, I'm in college, and college doesn't really have the cliques that high school does (IMO, and not counting sororities/frats), tho there seems to be some discrepency between "dorm rats" and frat/sorority members. I'm neither, so I can't be placed there, either.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed May 11, 2005 10:15 am

My high-school didn't really feature cliques the way most movies stereotype them. I went to an all-boy's Catholic HS, and for the most part "hung out" with other kids in the Honors Program, but a good number of those kids weren't really the typical "nerds", that is, they had interests that reached outside of learning and booksmarts, for the most part. I can't say that I fall into that pool, however; I was rather quiet and reserved in HS, and while I did have friends outside this "clique", I stuck mostly to studies back then.

If I were to go and throw a label on myself right now, I guess it would be nerd/geek, or maybe both. I'm very quiet about that aspect, however; it's rare that you'll see me with my Autobots or "F.O.I.L." (algebra concept) t-shirt, or sporting the Pikachu and Artemis pins I have in public, yet it would be quiet evident from stepping into my house what my interests are.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Wed May 11, 2005 10:46 am

For me I'm friends with everyone so basically I'm not in a clique.
James and I are happily waiting to see our first born son on April 22, 2009!
Mrs. Green is happily married to her airman since May 10, 2008
"Gee, I never thought I had an effect on people until I was in Korea."~ Marilyn Monroe ~
"Not knowing of the dawn, not seeing the coming night, only my garnet eye crosses time, and I think of the people I love."~ Garnet Guardian from SM Memorial Song Box ~
"...the secret song of love is locked deep in my heart."~ Secret from SM Memorial Song Box ~

MySpace= add me!

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:23 am

I'm friendly towards everyone, and I hang out with the upper-class people (i.e., the class president, the good athletes, etc.), but however, I've always been a lone wolf, since I used to have friends that just stab me in the back, and since then, I just don't trust anyone but my family or anyone whom I really trust.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Wed May 11, 2005 2:04 pm

I hang out with the hip-hop kids and the spanish kids. Mostly the hip-hop kids, though. I'm pretty much friends with all kinds of people, but I can mainly be found within the hip-hop group.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu May 12, 2005 12:54 pm

Like most everyone else here, I never really fit into any category. Only most of the people I went to school with could not accept this. So I guess you could say I was an outcast. I could make friends with all kinds of people, but most of them, when they found out the slightest of things they thought was wierd about me, they instantly no longer wanted to be my friend. I mostly went to school with religious bigots and/or hypocrites, the girls who were trying to pull that California Valley Girl act, and other people who were trying to act like the gang type (but we all grew up in suburban Louisiana, where there are no gangs or very many rich people). I could never get into that, so I took the road less traveled and acted like myself.

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:50 pm

I hang out pretty much with the cheerleaders. 8) I will talk to anyone who is nice to me though.
Last edited by Usagi04 on Fri May 13, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

SailorSpace
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorSpace » Thu May 12, 2005 10:23 pm

I tend to hang out with the rebelloous, punk, and gothic people. These are the people I hang out with and dress like, although I talk to just about anybody who's polite.
"Miko Miko Nurse"
Madamada iku yo!!
Miko miko nurse! Miko miko nurse!
namamugi namagome miko miko nurse!!
Kaerue pyoko pyoko miko miko nurse!!
Miko miko nurse! Miko moko nurse!
Sexual violet miko miko nurse!!
Soul train miko miko nurse!!
Anesan rokkaku miko miko nurse!!
Riichi ippatsu miko miko nurse!
Saigo ni mou icchou! HAI!!
Miko miko nurse!!

Oh my god.

That's so incredibly fucked up and so incredibly cute all at the same time.-Tiff-Chan

Seeking a band.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sat May 14, 2005 7:24 am

DuoTheShinigami02 wrote:I'm friendly towards everyone, and I hang out with the upper-class people (i.e., the class president, the good athletes, etc.), but however, I've always been a lone wolf, since I used to have friends that just stab me in the back, and since then, I just don't trust anyone but my family or anyone whom I really trust.
*nods* I was pretty popular in elementary school, and I used to hangout with the girly girls. We got along pretty well, until I started becoming more tomboyish. They rejected me, harshly. At that age, I really wasn't ready for something like that, and I immediately became an outcast. A status that persists to this day. (When I look back on it, it is kind of sad that things were like that in elementary school.)

After having so many people turn on me, time after time, I avoided putting trust in anyone other than my mother.

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Sun May 15, 2005 12:24 am

I don't have a group perse. I hang out with girly girls to tomboys, to dorky (or geeky? I dunno) guys/girls, to street guys. So I really don't know.

I was never into the clique thing. One of the reasons I didn't have too many friends in high school. In college I have my circles of friends, but we aren't all "alike" in any sense..
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Sun May 15, 2005 11:04 am

A little off topic but:
it's rare that you'll see me with my Autobots or "F.O.I.L." (algebra concept) t-shirt,
*gasp* I'd totally buy one of those shirts! The innuendo, it's just hilarious! (For those that don't know, FOIL means "First, Outside, Inside, Last" and refers to the order in which you expand a binomial like (x-5)(x+4) so you can solve it...right? It's been a while since I've done algrebra)
On topic: I think it's cool that everyone here is so..."open" to everyone else at their school. I do think that movies and TV portray cliques a little more exaggerated than they really are (but then, I went to a small school, so maybe my school was just looser that others?)
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sun May 15, 2005 11:43 am

Me? I'm an outcast. Most people in school hate me, and I hate them. :lol:

There are allot of anime fans in my school, but I'm not really friends with them. They're way to nerdy, and think Japan is just an Inuyasha fest. My friends at school are just girls really, most the guys in our school are jackasses.

NekoSun518
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by NekoSun518 » Sun May 15, 2005 4:03 pm

We have 2 different sets of popular cliques at my school. We have the popular clique who well, most of them aren't that intelligent. And then we have the "smart" popular clique who are all in like honors and ap classes. I'm sorta in the "smart" popular clique, but at the same time I'm sorta an outsider too. It's kinda odd, actually.
My Myspace

A convo between me and my best friend Shannen

Me: Did something just explode?
Shan: *looks at me*
Me: What was that noise?
Shan: Jackie, its been thundering out for the past half hour.
Me: It has?
Shan: Yes, Jackie. Your brain exploded.

"But I am le tired"
"Well have a nap then FIRE Z MISSILES!"

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sun May 15, 2005 10:28 pm

crazydiamond wrote:On topic: I think it's cool that everyone here is so..."open" to everyone else at their school.
I will have to second that. Though, considering the general air of acceptance and maturity here at SMU, I am not really surprised. ^_^
crazydiamond wrote:I do think that movies and TV portray cliques a little more exaggerated than they really are (but then, I went to a small school, so maybe my school was just looser that others?)
Movies do exaggerate the whole thing quite a bit, but it can be pretty bad. I have gone to schools where cliques were pretty much nonexistent, and others where you couldn't stand next to someone in another group without them looking disgusted. (My family moved around frequently, so I've been to a lot of schools.)

Artemis Lover
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Artemis Lover » Sun May 29, 2005 6:36 pm

Starscream wrote:My high-school didn't really feature cliques the way most movies stereotype them.
Why do movies do that, anyway? It's like they can't think of a better way to show a social hierarchy. I hate the stereotype cliques that come across in movies. Like, the drama kids are these bizarre social outcasts, the popular people are all these cruel, backstabbing jerks, and the nerds are only obsessed with math and science. These are so unreal, I have to wonder how the movie business came up with them.

Anyway, if there are cliques, I don't really belong to any. I mean, I have three friends that I always hang out with, but that's not big enough for a "clique," right?

(Actually, one movie where I can stand cliques is the movie Clueless. But that movie's so hillarious, it makes up for it. 8) )
“See this butt? Yeah. Look at it. LOOK AT MY BUTT. This is all you’re getting. MY BUTT to look at it. Yeah, bet you’re sorry now, aren’t you? You’d like to see my cute fuzzy face, wouldn’t you? But all you’re getting is the BUTT. LOOK AT IT. LOOK AT MY BUTT. Sucker.”
The thing is, Henrietta has—how can I put this? Kind of a big butt. If Henrietta were a celebrity? She’d be J-Lo.
Not that J-Lo has what I would call a big butt. But others have opined that this is so. I think J-Lo has a normal, healthy butt. As does Henrietta.
~Meg Cabot

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun May 29, 2005 7:48 pm

Artemis Lover wrote:
Why do movies do that, anyway? It's like they can't think of a better way to show a social hierarchy. I hate the stereotype cliques that come across in movies. Like, the drama kids are these bizarre social outcasts, the popular people are all these cruel, backstabbing jerks, and the nerds are only obsessed with math and science. These are so unreal, I have to wonder how the movie business came up with them.
Becuase people stereotype THEMSELVES. A stereotype cannot exist without someone to live up to it. I have been to schools where emo and goth kids go out of their way to wear the blackest, most darkest and offensive clothing possible, dye their hair the most outrageous colors, and then stacks tons of chain and leather jewelry on themselves..JUST to stand out. They deliberately sit in the corner of the cafeteria, glaring at everybody else from underneath their hoods and listening to their music as high as it goes through headphones. The cruel, backstabbing jerks exist; they've existed in at least two of the high schools I went to. And the drama kids WERE bizarre social outcasts..my former best friend was one of them.

I think it just depends on the school you go to, and how badly the kids there want to seperate themselves.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Mon May 30, 2005 11:36 am

I was never part of a clique, really. I was one of the social outcasts. I'm not really sure why. During my grade 10 year before I made friends with anybody, the popular girls asked me what I was listening to. Of course, I was listening to Hanson, but I had become a closet fan and was too embarassed to say. So then they bothered me all the time until they drove me crazy, when I told them who I was listening to just to get them to shut up. They made of me for it of course, and everyone else found out about it shortly after. The popular girls were cruel when I walked by, and they would wait until I got to the end of the hallway before they would yell "MMMBOP!" But surely to God, that can't be the only reason why I was an outcast. If it turned out that it was... then the people I went to high school with were much more immature that I thought they were.