Cliques? Whozewhatzy?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Mon May 30, 2005 1:12 pm

me: mainly the semi-nerdy kids *VG nerds, but it doesn't only rule our lives... unless it's WOW... thankfully, I don't own WOW* and Drama kids. others, I'll talk with them if they're nice to me and I know them well. I stay away from all the druggies and potheads at my school, which sadly makes up half my class...

Me: I'd say most often the nerdy/drama kids. I don't really care about being 'popular' because it doesn't last. :lol:
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:42 pm

I'm a band geek so I usually hang out with my fellow band geeks.However, I talk to anyone who'll talk to me civilly.The only people that doesn't work with are the real ghetto cheerleaders or the ultra-popular people.At my school everyone segeregates themselves by cliques and race.
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:59 pm

I've never fully understood cliques. Growing up I saw some cliques. Mainly the mean girls who had nothing better to do than talk about the latest things and make fun of everyone else. About high school, I saw different groups. The honor students, the band members, drama students, choir, the more popular people, the people that tried to act as gangsta as they could, the jocks and the rest of the population. We had a few goths and such, but they weren't really all that many. There were even cliques within the clique. Like in choir, there were two or three groups within it.

Me personally, i was mainly a loner with a few friends for a long time. About high school I joined drama and choir and started hanging out with them. Some of my friends from drama were in choir and band. So we kind of formed our own performing arts group. any and everyone was welcome. Frankly we didn't care. We were the loud, funny and odd bunch. Most hung out in the choir room or the drama teacher's home room.

However, I had friends from various other groups. Or acquaintences. i'm an artist and so i drew a lot in class or at lunch. A lot of other kids often wanted to know what new picture I was working on, so i got to know quite a few of them. A lot of them were quite nice when you got to know them.

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:16 pm

I don't really belong to a 'clique'. I used to try to be a goth/punk, but that failed when I realised that I didn't feel right in all of the gothic/punk clothing. I just didn't feel like myself.

Now I just dress in whatever (boys clothes mostly), and don't call myself anything.

hyacinthus
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by hyacinthus » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:44 am

Agreeing with Tiff, I do think that cliques exist because people want to fill certain stereotypes. These cliques don't really do anything but limit the views of the people who belong to them.

In my first two years of high school, I belonged to a clique of sorts that even utilized voting to determine who could and could not join. Looking back, it was ridiculous, since the benefits of membership pretty much included sitting at "their" two tables at lunch and copying their homework when the time came.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:48 am

hyacinthus wrote:Agreeing with Tiff, I do think that cliques exist because people want to fill certain stereotypes. These cliques don't really do anything but limit the views of the people who belong to them.

In my first two years of high school, I belonged to a clique of sorts that even utilized voting to determine who could and could not join. Looking back, it was ridiculous, since the benefits of membership pretty much included sitting at "their" two tables at lunch and copying their homework when the time came.
Very well said, indeed.

Hah..your second paragraph reminds me of several "clubs" that existed in middle school. It made me laugh to read it.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:52 pm

hyacinthus wrote:In my first two years of high school, I belonged to a clique of sorts that even utilized voting to determine who could and could not join. Looking back, it was ridiculous, since the benefits of membership pretty much included sitting at "their" two tables at lunch and copying their homework when the time came.
Ah, yes. The Diplomatic System of Extreme Defunctatude. I remember that from Elementary. For a short time, I was actually part of a group that employed a voting system. You even had to pass a test before you could climb on their jungle gym.

It would all be a lot funnier if people didn't actually take these things seriously.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:52 pm

(Sowwies for positng in a old topic ;-; )

I belonged to nothing. Cause my style changes all the time. In 5th grade it was tomboy, then from 6th grade untill now it was SUPERMIX. One day, I'd dress like Mana from Malice Mizer (Huge shoes and all) Next day, I'd have pin-stripe pants, red high heels and a chic top. (Yes, I even wore that in 6th grade >_> I was fully grown at 6th grade too. )

My friends consited of 2 die hard otaku, Me (The Goth-Visu-Chic..?) And a 'popular' girl. Sadly my school IS divided like it is in movies. Girls in 6th grade where drooling over guys. Sad, isn't it. I've had the same friends since elementary school. XD
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:13 pm

::Mod::

^^;; There is no rule against adding to a discussion of an old topic. Discussion keeps topics alive and since we have a no multiple topic rule, old threads need to be bumped if you wish to add to it. The only time that any mod/admin has ever frowned on bumping an old topic is if someone is doing it to churn up trouble or drama.

This isn't directed at you Queen Of Hearts <3, but something I've been wanting to state in general since there seems to be a lot of "Sorry if this is old" comments being made. No one is doing anything that they have to apologize for. :D
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:55 pm

Well I have two close friends and a few acquaintances. I remember in grade school my friends and I were talking about these groups and they said I would fit in the normal category. O_o...since when is 'normal' a category, what exactly is normal? Anyways I would probably fit into nerd/weird category. But other than that I think these stereotypes are silly.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:16 am

I was and still am extremely shy. It's probably why I was always shoved into the nerd category in school. I only have 3 friends who I would trust my life with which is also why I'm a bit of an outcast. In high school people automatically assumed that if you were quiet you were nerdy and boring which isn't fair or true in the slightest. I wouldn't personally lable myself as anything though. I feel there's a bit of everything inside me.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:40 am

Iced_Cappucino wrote:I was and still am extremely shy. It's probably why I was always shoved into the nerd category in school. I only have 3 friends who I would trust my life with which is also why I'm a bit of an outcast. In high school people automatically assumed that if you were quiet you were nerdy and boring which isn't fair or true in the slightest. I wouldn't personally lable myself as anything though. I feel there's a bit of everything inside me.
It's not. I don't go ga ga ga over guys like some girls my age will do, but people assume that I hate guys just because I don't go 'OMFG GUY AT TWELVE O CLOCK MUST CHASE!!!!' One time someone thought I was a sports girl, uhhh no I actually suck at sports but I'm also not a girly girl so then she assumed I was bisexual. No, I am not bi, I just keep my feelings to myself (most of the time) and I'm quiet.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:33 am

When I was in HS there pretty much two main cliques, those who parents were insanely rich and those that wheren't. I of course fell into the later, but in the end I ended up being part of a motley crew of indivdual who came from a vary of interest and that worked for me 8)
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:37 pm

I guess I'm sort of lucky. At my school there ARE different "categories" that people fall under, but in no way do they group together and spread apart from other groups. Of course there are the occassional assholes that think they're hot sh*t, meaning they feel like they have the right to make fun of others and pick on them. I was only victim to this a little bit in 8th grade. It didn't really affect me other than being annoying.

Anyways, I don't really fall into any category really. I'm not an outcast, that I know for sure. I think in elementary and part of junior high some people thought I was weird, but in 8th and 9th grade I began to talk more and people told me I was hilarious and then I made friends with everyone: jocks, preps, nerds, whoever. And everyone seems to be at a level of comfort so that as long as you're friends with someone, you can make fun of each other and no one cares because it's all for fun. And as far as I know, I have never made enemies with anyone; they either like me, are ok with me, or don't know me. I really hope I don't sound conceited or something, acting like I'm amazing and loved by all.

I AM rather smart (not a nerd though), but I'm not athletically gifted. I'm in the band but there are no kids that fit the band-geek stereotype in there, most people in band play sports too, or some kind of physical activity. I can't say I'm some sort of anime freak, the only anime I like is Sailor Moon and Fruits Basket, and if I tell someone I like them, they think it's totally out of my character, but they're ok with it. My brother said he himself was emo and then he was scene, so I asked him what he thought I would fall under, and he said I was basically my own thing. I don't wear preppy clothes, but I don't dress in dark clothes or "nerdy" clothes either.

But honestly, any judgment based on appearance or what clique someone claims to belong to is just absurd. You have to get to know a person for who they really are. I always try to make friends when I'm with people I don't know, whether they seem shy, outgoing, smart, dumb, phantasmagorical, etc. And then I can walk down the hall as I hear, "Hey there sailorperkytoot123!" "What's up sailorperky!" "How's it goin' perkytoot?" "Konichiwa betch!" instead of violent language like "You ^&%^&* mother ^^#%$(^)87 I'm gonna &*&^$$#$%() steering wheel ))*(&* carpet&^(^%$#$#$#$$&8 airbag&^$%$# with a &^%^E#$% cookie!" (No that was not supposed to make sense). Once again, I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to make myself seem amazing and popular, I'm just saying I try to make friends with people no matter who they are, and they seem to appreciate it and then everyone respects each other more.

laffinizluv
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by laffinizluv » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:49 am

I've never really fallen into a clique honestly. I'm sure I've been labeled as this or that but I really don't stick around with people enough to be considered in their clique/group. I'm a pretty individual person so I kind of march to the beat of my own drum sometimes.

'Sides, groups kind of break up towards the end of High School anyway and then it's just everyone being who they are.