They still can't take the sky from me

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

They still can't take the sky from me

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:18 am

There's no place I would be
Since I found the Serenity trailer
You can't take the sky from me

From the images in the trailer, I'm a bit disappointed. Although the framing creates an interesting feeling (2.35 compared to the series' 1.78), the trailer also adds sound in the space scenes. Hopefully, that's only for the trailer. I'm certainly hoping that they don't screw this up in the actual movie. Fortunately, it's got Whedon at the helm, so little should go wrong. If something does, the execs at Universal will be going to that special level of Hell usually reserved for Fox execs and people who talk in theatres.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:05 pm

I'm, generally speaking, NOT a fan of the sci-fi genre, but I really like Whedon and this looks good.

What "series" are they talking about? Books, comics, T.V., games? I've never heard of this before now. I'd do a search, but I don't know anything about it and the word "Serenity" is way to vague.
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:50 pm

This looks really interesting. I love Whedon to know end (he's coming to Dragon*Con ::fangirl squeal::).

And to answer your question Jed-kun, Serenity takes off from Whedon's short-lived tv series, Firefly.
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Sun May 01, 2005 2:08 pm

KoiNoVash wrote:This looks really interesting. I love Whedon to know end (he's coming to Dragon*Con ::fangirl squeal::).

And to answer your question Jed-kun, Serenity takes off from Whedon's short-lived tv series, Firefly.
OH! I thought that it looked familier. My sister used to watch that show. Thanks for the info. :D
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:02 am

Just got back from a screening. It's safe to say that it's the best gorram sci-fi movie of the year.

For those who've never seen the show, here's how it is: Earth-that-Was got used up, and, following a big war, was made uninhabitable. So us humans found a new solar system, and hundreds of new Earths were terraformed and colonized. The central planets formed the Anglo-Sino (American/Chinese) Alliance, which means that everyone in the show is capable of reeling out chinese invective at a moment's notice. Anyway, not everybody was willing to join under them, and another war broke out. The Alliance won, and everybody who lost (the "Browncoats") retreated to the outer planets.

Firefly follows the adventures of an old transport ship named Serenity (that's just Serenity, not "The Serenity"), and her crew of outlaws. There's Captain Mal Reynolds (Nathan Fillion), the dark, conflicted man who never kills unless he really has to. There's his helmsman Hoban "Wash" Washburn (Alan Tudyk), who has some self-esteem problems. Then there's Wash's wife Zoe Alleyne (Gina Torres), who served with Mal in the war and now helps him on his capers. And, because three is hardly enough to carry a show, Mal brought on engineer Kaylee Frye (Jewel Staite), a very sensuous and cheery person with little more than an intuitive knowledge and a connection with the ship (she refers to diagnostics as "talking to Serenity"). Then there's the "companion" (read: prostitute) Inara Serra (Morena Baccarin), who is aboard the ship because her profession--a legal and highly recognised one--is able to get her to many places the crew could not go. Then there's Jayne Cobb (Adam Baldwin) Finally, there's Shepherd Meria Book (Ron Glass), the futuristic man of the cloth, the fugitive Dr. Simon Tam (Sean Maher) and Simon's psychotic, psychic sister River (Summer Glau), who, we find out, can whoop ass at a moment's notice. They all are on the run from both the oppressive Alliance, and the cannibalistic Reavers.

In the movie, several things come to a head. We finally find out why the Alliance wants River back (that I have just spoiled for you--this girl is a serious lethal weapon. Not that it matters--the movie's opening minutes reveal all) and what the hell the Reavers are. In the movie, the Alliance has hired an Operative (a highly-trained assassin) to find River, who has reacted to a subliminal message. River's reaction triggers off an investigation which puts the crew smack-dab in the middle of Reaver territory. The rest is impossible to mention without giving spoilers.

I don't think anybody's going to come out disappointed. It keeps very much in the spirit of the show, if maybe only a tad darker and more overtly sexual when concerning Kaylee and Simon. In fact, the only bad comes when Whedon is a ge zhen de hundan. Just don't expect anything conventional from him.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.