WTF?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 am

Judges Let Teen Refuse Heart Transplant

I've been talking about this story with a friend of mine, and we agree on a number of things regarding it. I've seen kids who have cancer and other diseases, and they definitely grow up fast as a result of the disease. If I were this girl's parents, I think I would trust that she knows her own body well enough to make a competent decision on the matter. And that doesn't even get into the need for her to be on anti-rejection drugs were she to get the transplant.

Also, the doctor who called Child Services on her parents really bothers me. I'm not sure why, but that seems a bit much.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:46 am

Princess Latona wrote:
Also, the doctor who called Child Services on her parents really bothers me. I'm not sure why, but that seems a bit much.
It's downright ridiculous. That's the thing about this story that outraged me.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:59 am

Princess Latona wrote:Judges Let Teen Refuse Heart Transplant

I've been talking about this story with a friend of mine, and we agree on a number of things regarding it. I've seen kids who have cancer and other diseases, and they definitely grow up fast as a result of the disease. If I were this girl's parents, I think I would trust that she knows her own body well enough to make a competent decision on the matter. And that doesn't even get into the need for her to be on anti-rejection drugs were she to get the transplant.

I fully understand why child services was brought in on this. The kid was 13 and therefore they had to make sure this was her choice and not something her parents were forcing on her, and that she clearly knew what she was doing. At that age not everyone is capable of making these choices rationally, I know I wouldn't have been able to. This was a life or death choice and had to be put under a microscope of scrutiny. Also I don’t know how it is in England but in America at the age of 13 it really isn’t the child's choice and that poses a lot of problems too that social services needs to keep a close eye on *cough Christian scientists cough.* Bringing a social worker I feel was the right call, and it seems that the social worker determined that it was indeed a rational choice on the part of the child so it all worked out.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:17 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:
I fully understand why child services was brought in on this. The kid was 13 and therefore they had to make sure this was her choice and not something her parents were forcing on her, and that she clearly knew what she was doing. At that age not everyone is capable of making these choices rationally, I know I wouldn't have been able to. This was a life or death choice and had to be put under a microscope of scrutiny. Also I don’t know how it is in England but in America at the age of 13 it really isn’t the child's choice and that poses a lot of problems too that social services needs to keep a close eye on *cough Christian scientists cough.* Bringing a social worker I feel was the right call, and it seems that the social worker determined that it was indeed a rational choice on the part of the child so it all worked out.
What angers me isn't that they wanted to make sure it was the child's personal choice. It angers me that (from what I heard on the news), they were threatening to take the child away. It shouldn't have come down to that, and a lot of times, that's the way it crumbles with CPS.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:27 pm

Tiff wrote:
What angers me isn't that they wanted to make sure it was the child's personal choice. It angers me that (from what I heard on the news), they were threatening to take the child away. It shouldn't have come down to that, and a lot of times, that's the way it crumbles with CPS.
yeah I can agree with you on that too.

Either way its a very sensitive case, and neither side should jump to conclusions, unfortunatly it seems they often do. Im glad the social worker at least seemed to realize this and studied what was going on before making a choice.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:13 pm

Tiff wrote:
yeah I can agree with you on that too.

Either way its a very sensitive case, and neither side should jump to conclusions, unfortunatly it seems they often do. Im glad the social worker at least seemed to realize this and studied what was going on before making a choice.
My question is, why did it take bringing in a social worker to see that it was indeed her own choice? I think it's ridiculous that people can't trust her to know her body and condition well enough to make her wishes known. Barring someone functionally incapable of making decisions for themselves (ie, Alzheimer's patients), I think it's BS to assume someone can't make decisions for themselves about their own treatment. (Grah, I hope that makes sense. I can't put it any more coherently for some reason.)

On a slight tangent, I sensed a bit of pressure from the doctors regarding her getting the transplant. Never mind the fact you live pretty much for the rest of your life on drugs that screw with your immune system, which in turn leaves you open to other infections (and Cancer, as the article mentioned). Never mind that, even with the transplant, she could still die in 6 months from some other cause. I could go on, but I don't want to make this tangent too long, plus I can't put my other thoughts down coherently right now.

In the end, the whole thing is a bit frustrating and WTF inducing.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Princess Latona wrote:

My question is, why did it take bringing in a social worker to see that it was indeed her own choice? I think it's ridiculous that people can't trust her to know her body and condition well enough to make her wishes known. Barring someone functionally incapable of making decisions for themselves (ie, Alzheimer's patients), I think it's BS to assume someone can't make decisions for themselves about their own treatment. (Grah, I hope that makes sense. I can't put it any more coherently for some reason.)
...Because she's a minor? I mean, it makes sense. I don't like that they were threatening to take her away, but it makes sense that they'd want to make sure it was truly her choice, and not something her parents were foisting on her. A minor isn't always capable of making these types of decisions, especially since a guardian/parent is responsible for their child's medical care and well-being.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:21 pm

oh boy...

Katawa Shoujo

Link's worksafe. But definitely fits this thread.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:54 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:oh boy...

Katawa Shoujo

Link's worksafe. But definitely fits this thread.
It really doesn't seem any worse than some of the other H-games I've seen.

Which is a sad commentary in and of itself.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:28 pm

*looks at link*
*sees it's made by 4chan*

Bye. *leaves for fear of loosing my innocence*
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:47 am

*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:38 pm

AnimatedEvey12
Pro Anorexia Facebook groups
offered its members a seemingly irresistible proposition: a 30-day regimen designed to help them drop some serious pounds, no exercise needed
Diet. Alone. DOES. NOT. WORK! You actually have to get off your ass and move. (Within reason and proportional to your diet of course).
Many pro-ana Facebookers say the groups provide an invaluable support system to help them cope with their disease
At the risk of starting a "oh noes they're sick and can't control it, poor things ;_;" "no they're idiots and need to grow up rawr!!11" debate I have to ask this. I've heard a lot about how anorexia is a disease and no girl chooses to have it, the disease chooses them and they can't control it etc. If that's true, then why this big crack down on models on T.V. and in fashion magazines for being too skinny? I understand if they want to have some diversity when it comes to different body types (affirmitive action for curvies if you will), but most of the time it seems the reason is because "the skinny bitches will influence our young girls and make them cry and lose self esteem :("

If it's a disease it'll affect some women anyway and not affect those who don't have the disease. So banning models because of how they look seems a bit discriminatory.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:29 am

peachvampiress wrote:
At the risk of starting a "oh noes they're sick and can't control it, poor things ;_;" "no they're idiots and need to grow up rawr!!11" debate I have to ask this. I've heard a lot about how anorexia is a disease and no girl chooses to have it, the disease chooses them and they can't control it etc. If that's true, then why this big crack down on models on T.V. and in fashion magazines for being too skinny? I understand if they want to have some diversity when it comes to different body types (affirmitive action for curvies if you will), but most of the time it seems the reason is because "the skinny bitches will influence our young girls and make them cry and lose self esteem :("
True anorexia/bulimia is typically a mental disorder/disease. Girls look in the mirror, and truly believe they see a 300 lb figure looking back at them, when in reality they're about 85.

HOWEVER...the women in the fashion industry, who are deemed too skinny? Typically, they aren't anorexic. They're typically people who desire thinness for the sake of their careers. Girls with anorexia typically also have forms of depression, low self-esteem, etc. Models diet extremely to keep their jobs, to keep "young" and "beautiful", knowing that if they put on a little more, the industry will drop them like a hot potato.

It isn't so much that society doesn't want a variety of girls...it's that oftentimes there are ONLY skinny girls which are supposed to represent society's women...and it's simply an untruth. Women aren't all rail thing with tiny boobs and sunken cheeks, and that's EXACTLY what the fashion industry is trying to push.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:56 am

speaking of anorexia/bulimia

did you know there are people out there who not only like being so but consider it as a sort of religion and their Goddesses are Anna and Mia.

I wish I was making this up.....

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:18 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:speaking of anorexia/bulimia

did you know there are people out there who not only like being so but consider it as a sort of religion and their Goddesses are Anna and Mia.

I wish I was making this up.....
...Wow.

Some of these people deserve to be ridiculed.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:57 pm

*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:32 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/blo ... 20573.html
Naming your kid batman...huh.

Wtf.

I feel SO sorry for the kids in Venezuela.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:50 am

Tiff wrote:
peachvampiress wrote:
True anorexia/bulimia is typically a mental disorder/disease. Girls look in the mirror, and truly believe they see a 300 lb figure looking back at them, when in reality they're about 85.

HOWEVER...the women in the fashion industry, who are deemed too skinny? Typically, they aren't anorexic. They're typically people who desire thinness for the sake of their careers. Girls with anorexia typically also have forms of depression, low self-esteem, etc. Models diet extremely to keep their jobs, to keep "young" and "beautiful", knowing that if they put on a little more, the industry will drop them like a hot potato.

It isn't so much that society doesn't want a variety of girls...it's that oftentimes there are ONLY skinny girls which are supposed to represent society's women...and it's simply an untruth. Women aren't all rail thing with tiny boobs and sunken cheeks, and that's EXACTLY what the fashion industry is trying to push.
Another thing about eating disorders is the whole control element behind them many times. A lot of times, young folks (since males and females can have them!) develop an eating disorder as a way to exert control over some element of their lives, especially when they go through something stressful in their lives like divorce or moving to a new area. It's their way of hanging on to some controllable element when things around them are stressful and out of their control. (I used "control" way too many times in that paragraph. Yeesh.)

From what I heard, the thing with the models being cracked down upon wasn't so much about weight and eating disorders as it was about health. A lot of models are unhealthily skinny, and there have been several who have died recently because they're TOO thin. I would love to see more normal-looking women doing mainstream fashion modeling as opposed to the models they have now.

It kinda reminds me of something I posted about in the "Double Standards With Women" thread, where I talked about fashion magazines telling you to love yourself for who you are, yet they always have articles to make you even better. Amusing in a sad way, really.

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:44 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_candy_cane_defense

hehehehe....I might just be slap happy, but the visual this gave me is just hilarious.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 am

Well, work was fun last night. I work as an overnight stocker at Wal-Mart in the infants department. All of our glass jars of baby food come in cases with 12 jars in each case. It's not uncommon to have broken jars, in which case I usually throw out the entire case for saftey and sanitary reasons (because glass sticks to the lids or the labels are ruined). These breaks can range from one jar with a tiny crack in it to half the case smashed and the box is about to fall apart because it's so wet. Sometimes the jars have been broken for so long mold starts growing (in this case the entire case has to be thrown out no matter what). I've seen some pretty advanced mold civilizations, but what I found last night was just....fuck....

I picked up a box and the corner fell off in my hand and out fell a broken jar and some REALLY old food. It looked like a clump of dirt and was full of maggots. It was so old it disintigrated the box and was full of fucking maggots. I told the managers, got maintenance to get rid of it, and then went and cryed in the corner rocking back and forth for a while.

I don't like maggots.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings