WTF?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sat May 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Princess Latona wrote:Y'know, it's funny. I didn't think the new Indiana Jones movie was meant to be a documentary, or a "fair" portrayal of the Communists in the 1950s. Here I thought it was just supposed to be a good popcorn flick. Silly me. /sarcasm

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.as ... 2&GT1=7701
I agree, it's just a movie, not a PBS documentary. I just saw that movie today, good movie I must say. But it seems people will never learn. I also went WTF, when I found out about the whole 'n' word controversy surrounding Huckleberry Finn, the whole fact people saying it's a racist book because of the 'n' word.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat May 24, 2008 10:16 pm

Princess Latona wrote:Y'know, it's funny. I didn't think the new Indiana Jones movie was meant to be a documentary, or a "fair" portrayal of the Communists in the 1950s. Here I thought it was just supposed to be a good popcorn flick. Silly me. /sarcasm

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.as ... 2&GT1=7701
Movies r srs bzns.

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:
I agree, it's just a movie, not a PBS documentary. I just saw that movie today, good movie I must say. But it seems people will never learn. I also went WTF, when I found out about the whole 'n' word controversy surrounding Huckleberry Finn, the whole fact people saying it's a racist book because of the 'n' word.
Never mind that the use of the n-word is, in fact, accurate representation of that era. Idiots.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun May 25, 2008 7:35 am

Tiff wrote:
Butterscotch wrote:That's just wrong. Kids shouldn't be sitting at a table drawing pictures of their mom's boobs and talking about the nicknames they made up for them. Lady, you can give your kids emotional support and comfort without breastfeeding. I think she's doing more harm than good. =/
I agree. Can you imagine if this little girl wants to breastfeed in public?
Judging from the bit where the girl asks the mother, I would think that there are guidelines.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun May 25, 2008 11:28 am

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote: Judging from the bit where the girl asks the mother, I would think that there are guidelines.
I still stand by my opinion that it's quite disgusting.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:20 am

Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:26 am

Alexclow345 wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=bcUudYbisLg

I'm not even commenting.
I'm not sure which is sadder, the video or the insensitive asses who are commenting on it with things like "fat bitch" and "stop eating". Wow, I hope these trolls like it when something happens to someone close to them and people point and laugh at it. What if she has an actual disorder? Someone mentioned this one in their comment, and it seems to make sense:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prader-Willi_syndrome

Sadly, there's more to weight loss than cutting down on the fast food and ramping up the workouts. I have a friend who has tried literally everything she can to lose weight (short of surgery), but can't seem to get rid of it. If there are metabolic or other issues that affect weight, then it can be close to impossible to slim down to a healthy weight. It's a huge pet peeve of mine that people "diagnose" others with fork-in-mouth disease when it could be something else. Granted, I realize that that's the exact issue for some people, but don't tar everyone with the same brush.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:45 pm

Princess Latona wrote:

I'm not even commenting.
I'm not sure which is sadder, the video or the insensitive asses who are commenting on it with things like "fat bitch" and "stop eating". Wow, I hope these trolls like it when something happens to someone close to them and people point and laugh at it. What if she has an actual disorder? Someone mentioned this one in their comment, and it seems to make sense:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prader-Willi_syndrome

Sadly, there's more to weight loss than cutting down on the fast food and ramping up the workouts. I have a friend who has tried literally everything she can to lose weight (short of surgery), but can't seem to get rid of it. If there are metabolic or other issues that affect weight, then it can be close to impossible to slim down to a healthy weight. It's a huge pet peeve of mine that people "diagnose" others with fork-in-mouth disease when it could be something else. Granted, I realize that that's the exact issue for some people, but don't tar everyone with the same brush.

I hate insensitive comments. I actually want to help that girl because she obviously has a food disorder and she needs to see somebody to get healthy. Also, I'm not technically "Fat" but I could stand to lose a few pounds. However, when somebody is bullying somebody else I stick up for them and help them with their problem. I can totally see where your coming from Princess Latona.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Why wasn't she in an hospital earlier? In my opinion, once a 5-year-old hits 200 pounds something is obviously very wrong. Why did they let her get to 400 before they actually did anything? The poor kid might never be able to walk normally again.

I wish I knew how or why she got this way though, as my second major is eventually going to be child psychology. Is she homeschooled? I hope she has some friends her own age. It would be good for her.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Aishiteru wrote:Why wasn't she in an hospital earlier? In my opinion, once a 5-year-old hits 200 pounds something is obviously very wrong. Why did they let her get to 400 before they actually did anything? The poor kid might never be able to walk normally again.

Thank you.

I'm sorry, but the only sympathy I have is for the fact that her parents let her get to that point. The girl flat-out is asking for food in the video, and the reporter mentions that she eats a lot. I highly doubt this is due to medical issues. And they wouldn't have put her on a strict diet without any other medical treatment if it weren't just due to overeating. It's obviously due to that.

This is sickening because it is a PARENT'S responsbility to feed their child nutritious and healthy foods. A 7 year old cannot decide for herself what to eat unless a parent lets her. I consider this a form of parent neglect, and I wish parents could be punished for shit like this.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:36 pm

I'm not even commenting.
I dunno if it is a disorder or her parents just feeding her when she asks, but I don't understand how the heck she got that heavy. It is hard for people to lose weight, I know one of my friends (known since Kindergarten) is overweight and her mother has been trying to get her to lose weight, but I dunno it doesn't seem to be working. I haven't seen her in a while though. I know my friend's parents got divorced when she was one and I dunno if her weight had to do anything with it.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:45 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:

I'm not even commenting.
I dunno if it is a disorder or her parents just feeding her when she asks, but I don't understand how the heck she got that heavy. It is hard for people to lose weight, I know one of my friends (known since Kindergarten) is overweight and her mother has been trying to get her to lose weight, but I dunno it doesn't seem to be working. I haven't seen her in a while though. I know my friend's parents got divorced when she was one and I dunno if her weight had to do anything with it.
It probably had to do with it. A lot of trauma during childhood has shown to weight gain.

As for the parental issue, I agree with you guys one hundred percent. I can't beleive that the parent actually let her daughter gain 200 pounds in 2 years when she's 7! That's very unhealthy.I'm suprised that the poor girl isn't dead.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:34 pm

Whether or not she has a medical condition is irrelevant. It is not normal for someone to weigh that much, and her parents should have sought out help long ago. If she has a disorder of some sort, there may be treatment available, but these parents let her get to this extreme weight before seeking help? Like Tiff said, parent neglect.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:51 pm

I think that's the same girl that appeared on the Maury show several times a few years ago.

Dr.Phil was on today and I caught a few bits of it here and there. It was about overweight children (one of them was 9 years old and had the cholestorol level of a 45 year old), and every time I tuned in it was a different family with the parents giving the same excuse:

"I just give him what he wants, because if I don't he'll cry."

Good God it's always the idiots that become parents. If the kid wants greasy food, tell them no and shove a salad infront of them. If they cry, disipline accordingly, whether it be a spanking, timeout, or taking away something from them. Hell, I'll bet that screaming "Shut the fuck up!" at the top of your lungs an inch from their face will be a lot less tramatic that letting them balloon up to 300 pounds and having a heart attack at the age of 10.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

sailor_moon_R
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailor_moon_R » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:06 am

Wow, that really is something. And I agree with peachvampiress, it is all the parents' fault. I also saw an episode of Dr. Phil like that one, and the parents said the SAME thing. I was amazed at how the children looked. They weren't even 7 years old, and they weighed like 150lbs :shock: While peachvampiress' methods of discipline are 'good', I'd rather not hurt my future child, I will scream at them instead.
My favourite Cardcaptor Sakura quote *contains spoilers*:

Sakura: I love you Yukito-san!
Yukito: I love you too, but the one you love most isn''t me.
Sakura: *looks confused*
Yukito: You love your father right?
Sakura: Yes.
Yukito: And what about me?
Sakura: I love you.
Yukito: Aren''t the feelings quite similar?
Sakura: *realizes* They are. You have known for awhile haven''t you?
Yukito: Yes, you have always loved me as if I were a part of your family and I am grateful for that.
Sakura: Is there someone you love?
Yukito: Yes
Sakura: Is it..brother? (Touya)
Yukito: *eyes widen and then he smiles* Yes, I don''''t know what I would do without Toya. He made sure I didn''''t disappear.
Sakura: I''m sure he loves you too! He did everything to make sure you didn''t disappear! But if brother ever does anything to hurt my dearest Yukito-san, I will teacher him a lesson!
Yukito: *puts hand on her cheek* Thank you, Sakura-chan. When you find the one you love, if he ever hurts you, I will teach him a lesson.

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:07 am

<Off_Topic>
sailor_moon_R wrote:While peachvampiress' methods of discipline are 'good', I'd rather not hurt my future child, I will scream at them instead.
Sailor_Moon_R, could you please clarify that last statement? I'm getting 2 different meanings out of it, and I want to understand which one your intent is. ^^;
<\Off_Topic>

... I can't believe these parents. LAWLZ, my child is 5 and weights 200 lbs. =DDDDDD

That poor girl would have an estimate BMI of 79.7 at 5 years old (For reference, I'm roughly 42.7, and I'm 6 feet tall and around 315 lbs)
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:35 am

I agree, I wouldn't be so surprised if these are the same parents who blame Sesame Street for showing cookie monster because he apparently teaches kids to get fat. Which is bulls!t.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:42 am

I really have to wonder if it's less about the parents being neglectful and more that they're overwhelmed and weren't sure what to do. With working in a medical setting (and planning to study to be a nurse), I see this sort of thing once in a while in patients and families. It's easy to say they're "neglectful", and I'm sure in hindsight they see they should have done more, but when someone in a family is facing an illness/issue like this, it's hard to know what the right thing is to do. Hell, I've seen medical "experts" reduced to head-shaking and shrugs when a member of their family becomes sick.

Here's one question I have on this, not that it excuses anything. I don't recall the video saying if she has any siblings, or if she's an only child. If she's an only, that might help explain why her parents let her gain so much weight, as that may have been a way for them to "parent", lousy a method as it is. If not, well, I have no clue what happened then.

ETA: I just thought of something else. The video also didn't mention if she's been seen by doctors before this hospital visit. If she has, then it's a possibility treatment attempts have been made, but they've failed. Still not an excuse to let her get that heavy, but another point to consider. After all, if a parent has total faith in the medical system, they might keep hoping that a treatment will eventually work, even as they watch their child get progressively worse.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:36 pm

Princess Latona wrote:I really have to wonder if it's less about the parents being neglectful and more that they're overwhelmed and weren't sure what to do. With working in a medical setting (and planning to study to be a nurse), I see this sort of thing once in a while in patients and families. It's easy to say they're "neglectful", and I'm sure in hindsight they see they should have done more, but when someone in a family is facing an illness/issue like this, it's hard to know what the right thing is to do. Hell, I've seen medical "experts" reduced to head-shaking and shrugs when a member of their family becomes sick.
Sorry, but no. If you're a parent and your child goes into a complete tantrum because you didn't give them 15 chicken nuggets and a milkshake and you feel you have to give in, then that's bad parenting. Flat-out. A lack of discipline and an unwillingness to give your child a balanced diet and good nutrition is bad parenting. It is a PARENT'S job to regulate their child's food intake, and to say "they did'nt know what to do" is just yet another way for parents to blame their stupidity on "omg first-time parenting."

I have never been around a baby my entire life until my son was born. And yet, I have the common sense not to shove pureed meat down his gullet to make him shut up. I have the common sense to start him on rice cereals that his body can handle, randle than jump right to the creamed beef. I have the common sense to try different methods of calming him down when he cries, rather than jump to the "OMG HE MUST WANT FOOD =D =D THAT'LL CALM HIM DOWN" conclusion.

The only "sickness" here is that of the parents. Until I see evidence of an otherwise existing medical condition (thyroid, etc), I stand by my opinon that the child is a result of poor parenting.
sailor_moon_R wrote: I'd rather not hurt my future child, I will scream at them instead.
If a spanking "hurts", then you're doing it wrong. A spanking should be meant to shock more than anything...a firm tap on a toddler's bottom when he's throwing a tantrum, for exampe. Spanking doesn't equate wielding a belt and smacking a child multiple times with it. That's beating.

And do you not realize that "screaming" at a child as a means of discipline is probably MORE damaging? Can you imagine the kind of fear and timidity you'd instill in a child if you screamed everytime they did something wrong? Screaming can be a form of mental and emotional abuse. It can cause a child to withdraw, be scared of loud noise, or constantly be in fear that every adult around them (teachers, caregivers, etc) is going to suddenly verbally lash out if they make a mistake.

Discipline is about balance and doing what is right for YOUR child. You can'ta lways beat your kid, and you can't always scream at them. You might be surprised to find that your child doesn't respond to "screaming", and instead makes it a game to scream back at you.

I'd re-think my parenting stances if I were you...but then, you're 14, so I don't suspect you'll be having any babies anytime soon.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:06 pm

wow ya miss alot when you go away. Yeah its sad that that girl got to that point and im sorry anyone who thinks its not the parents fault please understand this. A child depends on its parents to set rules and guidelines. When a parent gives in because its easier stuff like this happens. Its in itself a form of neglect to give a child food when they need attention. I recently had to deal with this in my own home. My grandmother and mother are the types that instead of hearing a child cry will try to pacify with food and I have been putting a stop to it. Right now my son who I love dearly is pushing it weight level. And as someone who has battled with weight myself I am doing my part to make sure he dosent go down that path. Am I forcing him to do unhealthy stuff heck no, but instead of pushing a cookie into his face when he tantrums I have him cry it out and make him sit till he calms down. I know for myself I developed an unhealthy fixation with food from an early age because it was used as a pacify then turned into a crutch. You have to start early with kids and teach them that food is for nutrition and while it can be used for enjoyment only in moderation. Any parent that dont get that simple fact should really think about being parents. You cant always give in, being in charge of another young life means being able to be firm in decisions and do the best to give your child a healthy happy life. Its not always gonna be easy but its worth it not to have something like that issue with that unfortunate little girl happen.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:13 pm

Tiff wrote:
sailor_moon_R wrote: I'd rather not hurt my future child, I will scream at them instead.
If a spanking "hurts", then you're doing it wrong. A spanking should be meant to shock more than anything...a firm tap on a toddler's bottom when he's throwing a tantrum, for exampe. Spanking doesn't equate wielding a belt and smacking a child multiple times with it. That's beating.

And do you not realize that "screaming" at a child as a means of discipline is probably MORE damaging? Can you imagine the kind of fear and timidity you'd instill in a child if you screamed everytime they did something wrong? Screaming can be a form of mental and emotional abuse. It can cause a child to withdraw, be scared of loud noise, or constantly be in fear that every adult around them (teachers, caregivers, etc) is going to suddenly verbally lash out if they make a mistake.

Discipline is about balance and doing what is right for YOUR child. You can'ta lways beat your kid, and you can't always scream at them. You might be surprised to find that your child doesn't respond to "screaming", and instead makes it a game to scream back at you.

I'd re-think my parenting stances if I were you...but then, you're 14, so I don't suspect you'll be having any babies anytime soon.
I'd agree with this. When I was little I hated it when any adult would raise their voice at me let alone scream at me. I always prefered having a spanking or even a slap on the face. (I got into a lot of fist fights with the neighborhood kids, so a spanking or a slap on the face was nothing to me) One time I even said to my mom "that didn't hurt". and I think I got it much harder the second time XD.

So yeah, punishments have different affects on each kid.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/