If you had a kid...

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

DistantMemory
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

If you had a kid...

Post by DistantMemory » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:27 pm

...what would his/her name be?

Favorite Girls' Names
~Abigail/Abby
~Hazel
~Lucille/Lucinda/Lucy
~Rose

Favorite Boys' Names
~Dave/David
~Gabriel
~Matt/Matthew
"I want to go back to believing in everything and knowing nothing at all..."
~Evanescence, "Field of Innocence"

"I love you."
"WHAT!?! What did you say!?"
"Um, uh, olive juice!"
"...Olive juice?"
"*in a whisper* Olive juice you too!"
~Stewie and Brian, Family Guy, "The Tan Aquatic with Steve Zissou"

Ayane
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Ayane » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:31 pm

Too strange...a thread with the same subject was made less than a week ago on another totally unrelated forum I go to...weird...

Anywho, my husband and I have decided that our first girl will be Akane Nabiki and our first boy will be Miles Prower. Yes, I'm serious. :P

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:34 pm

If and when I have kids (not anytime soon in the forseeable future), for a girl, her name will be Penny Anne (insert last name here) and if I have a boy, I plan to name him after Jordan Taylor Hanson. I got "Penny" from one of my favorite Hanson songs, Penny and Me. I attached the "Anne" because I thought it flowed well. The reason why I would name the boy after Hanson is because they saved my life. From the time I was a child, I suffered from depression and I was suicidal. But Hanson made me realise what it would do to my family and friends if I did. That's because the lyrics in their songs reflect their values about family and relationships, which I can relate to. I firmly believe that if it were not for them, I would not be here today. I found out just recently that apparently, when Hanson was struggling with their old record company, Taylor had a mental breakdown. He managed to live through it, and that inspires me to continue on. I still struggle with depression (and it makes it even harder that I can't afford professional help), but the music makes everything so much easier. Naming a child after them is my way of saying thank you for saving my life.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:03 pm

Nick Matthew Picard

Grace Elizabeth Picard

Jeffery Andrew Picard

I can't think of any others...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Rivalee
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Rivalee » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:13 pm

Girl:
Aerith
Meredith
Connie
Riku
Amaya

Boy:
Cedric
Siegfried
Joshua
Alucard
Dante

That's what I would name my kid(s), if I ever got any ^.^
My youtube-account / My multiply-account

I dunno. I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box. And then when I put it on, I suddenly got this feeling of inner peace. I can´t put it into words. I feel... safe. Like this is where I was meant to be. Like I´d found the key to true happiness.
~Snake from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

I´m some kind of high powered mutant, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Bad luck! I´m are suffering from Rivalee´s Syndrome.
Cause: thinking too hard
Symptoms: aphasia, vague gills, mildly squeaky voice, eyelid swelling
Cure: cryogenic freezing until science catches up

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:49 pm

I want to name my daughter Katherine Grace.
Its from the first names of my grandmothers. A bit old fashioned, maybe, but I like it.
I think we'd call her "Gracie" for short! ^.^

Candyman1014
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Candyman1014 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:20 am

I love kids!!! How Many does everyone want? I want at least 6 or more!!! Anyways I would name one of my kids Darrien or Serena, I'm Serious!!!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:03 am

Candyman1014 wrote:I love kids!!! How Many does everyone want? I want at least 6 or more!!! Anyways I would name one of my kids Darrien or Serena, I'm Serious!!!
....-___-; *sigh*

Anyway......

Girls:
Lina Renee
Emily Rose
Ashlyn Kay
Riley Nicole

Boys:
Michael Cole
Tyler Reese

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:47 am

Tiff wrote: Girls:
Lina Renee
Is the first name after the Slayers protagonist?

Anyway for boys, I'm going with traditional Sicilian naming practices. First son named after my father, Jack. Second son named after his mother's father. Third son named after my father's father, Charles. Fourth son named after his mother's father's father, et cetera.

For girls, I want something more exotic, and maybe Japanese-sounding. I like the name Mizuho as it's come up in a couple of manga I've liked.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:17 am

Sailorasteroid wrote:
Tiff wrote: Girls:
Lina Renee
Is the first name after the Slayers protagonist?
Yes, she has the same name, but I've always liked the name Lina, even before I saw Slayers. It was originally "Angelina" I liked, but then I realized people would call her "Angie" x_X So I took "Lina" from it, and liked it.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:53 am

1st son - Adam Michael
2nd son - Seth (insert middle name)
3rd son - Aiden or Hayden

I don't really care about girl names as much.

TBA

yamijounouchi
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by yamijounouchi » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:58 pm

virgil or dante for a boy, for a girl... ......... .......... <end post>
"those with the least to smile about seem to be the ones that laugh the most. the lips smile, but the eyes reveal the truth." --- me

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:42 pm

Girl
Sakura
Elieen ( after my nan)
Raye/Rei

Middles names Elizabeth Frances Emily all great grandmothers names ^^;

Boy's

William
Mark
Patrick

Middles names: John William/Patrick all great grandfathers names.

But then again a lot of that depends on the last name.
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:51 pm

Tiff
Yes, she has the same name, but I've always liked the name Lina, even before I saw Slayers. It was originally "Angelina" I liked, but then I realized people would call her "Angie" x_X So I took "Lina" from it, and liked it.
Heh heh, that just made me think of something. They could have named the Slayers character Angie Inverse ^_^
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:06 pm

Girls
-Dorothy
-Rose
-Honey (...shut up)
-Auroa

Boys
-Fiore
-Rino

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:20 pm

I'm going to be blunt. Very, very blunt. And during my bluntness, I'm going to be using some of the names listed as examples. If you don't like it....sorry. But that's part of discussion. Nowhere am I planning to insult or be malicious. I am simpling explaining my views.

...What ever happened to normal, sensible, easy-to-spell names?

Names change with the times, obviously. You don't see too many Ruths, Faiths, Sarahs, and Bettys anymore...nor do you see too many Charleses, Jonathans, and Richards.

...But is it REALLY necessary to name your children after a character in an anime you enjoy watching, or after a character in a video game you enjoyed playing, or from a culture that you have NO blood ties with, but like the way it sounds?

Have some of you given some thought to what this child is goingto go through in grade school? In high school?

I teach Pre-k...and some of the names these parents have bestowed upon these poor, poor children just make me want to slap them across the face and go "DEAR GOD, LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO YOUR OFFSPRING!".

I have a boy in my class named Anfernee. AN-FER-NEE. Not Anthony. Why, dear god, why? And a girl named Kambriona. WTF? It took me a month to finally get the pronunciation of that name right. And I STILL call "Anfernee", "Anthony" on occasion.

Being unique with a child's name is all fine and good. But there IS such a thing as "too unique". Do you really think a little boy wants to go around being called "Fiore", when a) he doesn' t know WTF it even means (flower. you're naming your BOY "FLOWER". Very masculine), and b) when he DOES find out what it means, in high school, he's going to want to kick your ass? Do you think he's going to have a fun time EXPLAINING to people where the hell he got the name Fiore when his parents aren't Italian? (I'm under the assumption that the person who posted this name is not Italian, as Fiore is an Italian name that means flower).

What about the little girl whose name is destined to be "Sakura", when she's not even close to Japanese? She'll be "Sah-KOO-rah" for the rest of her life. Not Sakura. Sah-koo-rah. Just like Nelvana doomed poor Cardcaptor Sakura to be.

Different cultures have their own names FOR A REASON. It's one thing for us to use, say, a name of European or British descent, as the people of America did come from the those countries. But to take a Japanese name simply becuase you like it, and use it...no. Just...no. They're designed to fit the JAPANESE ACCENT, and their own alphabet. That's why you don't find too many "michaels" and "Tiffanys" in Japan, folks.

Please...PLEASE.think about what you'll be putting these kids through when you think of these names. If you have to, think of the mistake my mother almost made with me.

She wanted to name me Holly.

...my last name, people..is WOOD.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:43 pm

I feel just as strong for the opposite position. It's the parents' option, so they should be unrestricted in what they name the child. This is their opportunity to have a person in the world representing what they want, so why should it be subject to the restrictions of the culture they live in.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:50 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:I feel just as strong for the opposite position. It's the parents' option, so they should be unrestricted in what they name the child. This is their opportunity to have a person in the world representing what they want, so why should it be subject to the restrictions of the culture they live in.
But it's their child who has to live with it.

That's as idiotic as saying, "A parent has the righ tot treat their child however they want, becuase it's their option, and their offspring". Oh, so I can tie my child to a stake in the yard, pour honey on him, and let fireants bite the living daylights out of him? becuase I feel that's a good means of punishment? Society and culture put the restrictions on what is abuse and what isn't.

While the "restrictions" for names obviously aren't set, like the rules of child abuse and the like, it's still COMMON SENSE not to doom your child with something \that will haunt them.

YES, HAUNT THEM. Children are CRUEL as they grow up. While it was out of my dad's control, I received horrid teasing for having the last name "Wood". Can you imagine if my mom had named me "Holly"?

Culture helps shape names, just as much as culture shapes the way we raise our children, or how we live our lives. Why do you think ther ARE only certian name in certain cultures, like Sakura and Usagi, or O'Connor and O'Riley? So your comment about culture makes ZERO sense.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:55 pm

Sailorasteroid
This is their opportunity to have a person in the world representing what they want, so why should it be subject to the restrictions of the culture they live in.
Translation:This is a chance for parents to live through their kids as the person they wanted to be.

So if your mom was a garden freak and named you Pansie because that was her favorite flower you wouldn't mind? What if your families name was Aston? You wouldn't mind being Pansie Aston?

I've always had a theory that parents give their kids ridiculous names because it's what they want for themselves. If that's the case, then the smart thing to do is to legally change your name, not force you offspring to be the person you wanted to be. I like the name Peach, I wish people called me Peach all the time, but I'm not going to go and name my kid after a fruit. I may use it as a nickname for them, but I'm not going to send little Peach Smith of to school.

My friend Robin was telling me how her parents thought her older sister Ginny was going to be a boy. Do you know what her dad wanted to name her? Novar. What the fuck kind of name is Novar? That's not even a cultural name, that's just an obsessed Trekkie's dream.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:57 pm

I'm gonna have to side with tiff on this one.

I mean, i'm all for unique names, but you have to remember your kids will have to LIVE with these names. Giving them a name that will get them made fun of isn't going to score you, the parents, very many cool points.

It seems like a lot of you need to pull your heads out of the world of anime and into the REAL world. Just think about it, would you name your kid sung-jin? or kung-mei? (both korean names). They sound pretty WEIRD and FOREIGN, right? It's cause they are. Japanese names are JUST as weird and foreign, as much as our little sub culture on this message board wouldn't like to admit.

But, in the end, it's your choice as to what you name your kids. But don't be suprised if they end up resenting you in the end......

TBA