I am metaphorically at a lack for words...

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

I am metaphorically at a lack for words...

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:49 am

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S ... v=EQlpWjof

What. the. Hell. How could anyone actually prosecute this? I mean, what are the thoughts of the prosecutors?

"Derr.....we better lock him up before he sics the zombies on us. Der...."

I just don't understand people.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:29 am

Fuck fuck the bloody fuck? That's just....AHHHH! I can't even describe how stupid that is. Granddaddy and Grandmommy can't be the brighest tools in the bin if they couldn't figure out his story about zombies attacking an unnamed highschool (wow, such an original, uncliched idea /sarcasm) was fake. If writing a story about things attacking a high school without naming classmates will get you arrested, than I'm royally fucking screwed. Did anyone else notice this typo (I think it's a typo):
Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.
Shouldn't that be "wasn't threatening anyone"?

And this I don't understand:
Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.
It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,said Poole.
How the Hell did the investigators come to that conclusion then? This really pisses me off. As a writer, I hate when people miss interpret things, especially when they're waaaaaay off and over react (not unlike this).
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:50 am

...the fuck?

Yeah. Okay.

...I really can't think of something witty and biting to say..i'm just so dumbfounded.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:57 am

Now this is even more stupid than people being fired because of their blogs.

The bloke write a damn STORY and his grandparents take it to the police instead of TALKING to him ? Geesh, I'd smack their faces if I was in front of them (but, due to respect to elders, I'd do that in my mind only of course) , or I don't know, say something harsh to them to make them understand one should NOT do anything about a person without TALKING to him first.

[OT Example]It's like at my job. I was talking to a colleague and we noticed some people weren't doing their job properly. I offered (nicely) to go to the supervisor and "report". The colleague told me REALLY wisely to go to those people first, cause they could get in trouble for nothing, and if it didn't change maybe we could go see the supervisor.[/Example]

Had my mom done that, I would be more than really mad at her. I mean, maybe his story was cliché, maybe his writing skills weren't THAT good but at this point, I don't care. This is so stupid.
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:45 am

Oh. My. God.

I can't believe that. It seems you can't go to school in the south anymore without running into people who are super paranoid that you are going to do something horrible to the school. (I only say the south because this is really the only place I have noticed this happening. If it has happened anywhere else, please inform me.)
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:22 am

peachvampiress wrote:Fuck fuck the bloody fuck? That's just....AHHHH! I can't even describe how stupid that is. Granddaddy and Grandmommy can't be the brighest tools in the bin if they couldn't figure out his story about zombies attacking an unnamed highschool (wow, such an original, uncliched idea /sarcasm) was fake. If writing a story about things attacking a high school without naming classmates will get you arrested, than I'm royally fucking screwed. Did anyone else notice this typo (I think it's a typo):
Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.
Shouldn't that be "wasn't threatening anyone"?
No. He is disputing the claim that he was threatening anyone, meaning that he's arguing with it.
And this I don't understand:
Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.
It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,said Poole.
How the Hell did the investigators come to that conclusion then? This really pisses me off. As a writer, I hate when people miss interpret things, especially when they're waaaaaay off and over react (not unlike this).
He didn't mention any specific people, but he did mention cops, students, staff... He just didn't use NAMES.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:58 pm

How on earth could a judge issue an arrest warrent for a FICTIONAL story?! He didn't even mention names! What proof does the prosecution have that says that the story was about his school and was a real threat?

Ugh, people let their fears of a real threat make them do stupid things.
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:34 pm

KoiNoVash wrote:How on earth could a judge issue an arrest warrent for a FICTIONAL story?! He didn't even mention names! What proof does the prosecution have that says that the story was about his school and was a real threat?

Ugh, people let their fears of a real threat make them do stupid things.
Hopefully, the case will be dismissed after the district attorney investigates this further. This is just insane.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:01 pm

I just thought I'd add to the general chorus of WTF and add a side of What about freedom of speech? I don't see how they could go much farther(further?), his "threat" was vague and involved the use of Zombies. Basically they're saying people can't write fictional stories based in fictional situation... that doesn't seem like it would hold up.
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:28 pm

It probably won't, which is why I said that the case would probably ultimately be dismissed after some investigation. It would just be a waste of time for the courts to proceed with this.
Come join the party.

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:59 pm

Wow, talk about completely blown out of proportion. This is something you would see on South Park or something.

Damn, people can be so dumb sometimes.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:01 pm

That's the biggest pile of dog poo I've ever seen/ read. It's just stuiped , like people ahve said it's been blown way out of contex. I'm just well wordless
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:11 pm

*cries* people have become SO STUPID ABOUT THESE THINGS!!!!!!!!!! *continues to cry*

*edited*
Last edited by yoshmaster5 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:02 pm

These people aren't "Americans" or "Southerners." These people are just PEOPLE. It really annoys me when people say that only Americans blow shit out of proportion, or only Southerners are stupid. As someone who's lived in several places around the USA, I can vouch. The South may have its fair share of idiots, but so does the North, Midwest, West Coast, Southwest...All of it. There are stupid people everywhere.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:42 pm

Parakiss
No. He is disputing the claim that he was threatening anyone, meaning that he's arguing with it.
Ah okay. My Engrish Glammar is bad.
He didn't mention any specific people, but he did mention cops, students, staff... He just didn't use NAMES.
The article made it sound like he didn't write about cops, students etc. but the prosecuters are sayng he did. Damn I have to learn to read better 0___o
These people aren't "Americans" or "Southerners." These people are just PEOPLE. It really annoys me when people say that only Americans blow shit out of proportion, or only Southerners are stupid. As someone who's lived in several places around the USA, I can vouch. The South may have its fair share of idiots, but so does the North, Midwest, West Coast, Southwest...All of it. There are stupid people everywhere.
Yes, exactley. Believe me, it happens everywhere. Canada's got its fair share of idiots, just like other countries do. It's not just America.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:46 pm

There are no words for shit like this, except to tell people to have some common sense and not be paranoid as all hell about every tiny thing. Right now I'm at a bit of a paranoia state being careful about many things (we will just say a bunch of shit has happened in recent weeks) and I wouldn't have had any thought of such a thing being a plan for a terrorist act.
Jonathan wrote:Wow, talk about completely blown out of proportion. This is something you would see on South Park or something.
I'm expecting it to be made fun of probably either near the end of this batch of episode or at the start of the next batch of new episodes next fall.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:02 pm

That's ridiculous. I don't know what to say to that.

::A bit OT, spoiler tags added because the Canadian case I'm talking about might be a bit offensive to some::

[spoiler]There was a case in BC where it was after 5:00 in the winter time where a guy was caught masturbating in front of his living room window with the lights on and the blinds wide open. He got arrested and charge, but beat it in court because apparently, he has the right to do whatever he wants on his property, even if it does happen to be in plain view of the public. What on earth do you tell your kids when they see that on the way home from daycare? -_-

There's another case in BC where some guy was caught having sex with a )girlfriend/hooker/ have no clue who the woman was) in his front window. I'm not gonna hold my breath on how that will go in court. [/spoiler]
Last edited by RoastedTwinkies on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:03 pm

After reading the report, it only goes on to show how paranoid America is after 9/11 and that USA Patriot Act.

To quote Bill Maher, "Bush is wiping his ass with the Bill of Rights".
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:21 pm

I would say this is more a result of the Columbine and other school shootings than 9/11. It's certainly not a PATRIOT Act case.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:50 pm

This is something I don't understand. It says that the grandparents found the story in his journal. Soooo.....were they snooping through his stuff and invading his privacy? And if they were, did they have a plausible reason for going through his stuff? (i.e. has he had some violent outburst and they went "looking for any troubling signs") I mean, if I was this kid and my grandparents went rooting through my stuff, found a story I wrote, gave it to police, and got my ass put in jail, not to mention tarnishing my name, I'd be pretty pissed off.

~Suicide Kings