Blockbuster's No Late Fees Policy

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Blockbuster's No Late Fees Policy

Post by KoiNoVash » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:57 pm

Okay, I know I'm somewhat biased as a former employee, but this has to be the stupidest thing ever! First, Blockbuster has not had late fees in years, they've had "Extended Viewing Fees" which basically rerents the movie out to you. Second, I feel like it's actually encoraging people to not take responsibility for ther actions. Okay, sure, it's good for those who are just a few hours late, but I feel like it's coddeling the people who are just lazy.

Also, ever since the policy started, hardly any new releases are in because people take advandage of the system. Not to mention that these people get upset because they only get an extra week. I've heard horror stories from old friends about people throwing royal fits because of a) a minimal (like $1.25) processing fee; or b) they are mad because they can't get away with just keeping the movie.

What does everyone else think of the policy?
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:16 pm

While I do think people should be a bit more responsibile for bringing their movies back on time, I think Blockbuster should be a bit more realisitic with their return times. 10am is ridiculous. My family stopped going their because the return time was idiotic.

But the no more late fees is just stupid. To quote my English teacher "At what point do they figure out when a person is late and when they've stolen the movie?"

No offence to anyone, but Blockbuster sucks in so many ways to me. They've got little to no anime titles, their return time is way to early, and now they're basically letting people keep their movies.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

SailorSpace
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorSpace » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:32 pm

I think, in my opinion, Blockbuster made a mistake. Because of this, their going to be losing a lot of money in their income. How much you wanna bet Blockbuster will go bankrupt in 10 years or less?
"Miko Miko Nurse"
Madamada iku yo!!
Miko miko nurse! Miko miko nurse!
namamugi namagome miko miko nurse!!
Kaerue pyoko pyoko miko miko nurse!!
Miko miko nurse! Miko moko nurse!
Sexual violet miko miko nurse!!
Soul train miko miko nurse!!
Anesan rokkaku miko miko nurse!!
Riichi ippatsu miko miko nurse!
Saigo ni mou icchou! HAI!!
Miko miko nurse!!

Oh my god.

That's so incredibly fucked up and so incredibly cute all at the same time.-Tiff-Chan

Seeking a band.

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:38 pm

peachvampiress wrote:While I do think people should be a bit more responsibile for bringing their movies back on time, I think Blockbuster should be a bit more realisitic with their return times. 10am is ridiculous. My family stopped going their because the return time was idiotic.
o.0 I think that is franchise time (stores privately owned), stores owned by corperate require that they be back before 'noon. It used to be midnight, but 4 or so years ago Blockbuster gave everyone 12 more hours.
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:39 pm

SailorSpace wrote:I think, in my opinion, Blockbuster made a mistake. Because of this, their going to be losing a lot of money in their income. How much you wanna bet Blockbuster will go bankrupt in 10 years or less?
I would seriously doubt it. Considering the fact that they can buy the movies cheap, and they rent them out for X amount of dollars (I have no idea how much, but let's say they rent them for $3), they made their money after 2-3 rentals or less, depending on how much they get charged from a wholesaler. And since (most) people have credit cards linked to their accounts, they get charged the amount of the purchase price for the movie if they don't return it. I believe for the people who don't have a credit card on the account, that they have a drivers licence number or something so that they could call the police. So, no, I don't believe that they will go bankrupt anytime soon from this policy.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:43 pm

Considering that they charge $6-8 for a rental to begin with, they already charge far too much. Blockbuster killed rental as far as I'm concerned, because before they came along, I could go into the local store and get 3 videos, or 1 new release and one non-new release, for $5. And because they had to get videos as cheaply as possible, some of them would be real rare finds or classics. Now in a Blockbuster the outer wall has the new releases, but there's 100 copies of each and they separate each box by like 15 cm. so there's only maybe two dozen titles. Then on the racks half the space is wasted on videos they want to sell, and half of the rest is taken up with video games, electronics, and food. Plus they have maybe one shelf of anime, and none of it is anything you'd know, or else it's Dragonball. My library has more anime DVDs than all 3 local Blockbusters combined.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:49 pm

....Am I the only person here who doesn't care whether Blockbuster has a lot of anime? I go to Blockbuster to rent movies. I like them because they typically have the movies I want. They get a good selection of fun indie films, foreign films, and the like. And I don't think I've ever paid that much for a rental.

I don't quite understand the policy, but I always turned my movies in on time anyway. Who the hell really needs that long to watch a movie? I rent, I watch, and I return when I get the chance the next day. So, it just seems superfluous to me.

I agree with Koi on the main part, though. It seems like it's just telling people "It's okay to not be responsible." And it has to cause problems for the staff. "This movie's supposed to be here but it's not OMG BITCHBITCHBITCH." I feel sorry for retail staff in stores, because it's hardly ever their fault. The policy just seems stupid.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:55 pm

Parakiss
....Am I the only person here who doesn't care whether Blockbuster has a lot of anime? I go to Blockbuster to rent movies. I like them because they typically have the movies I want. They get a good selection of fun indie films, foreign films, and the like. And I don't think I've ever paid that much for a rental.
I see what you mean. Personally though, I don't really watch movies anymore. Plus I like renting anime so that I can see if it's worth buying. That way I don't have to worry about whether or not I'm going to waste $40 for one anime DVD.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:00 am

Differences between Blockbuster and Netflix:

Netflix is entirely done online. Blockbuster isn't.

So why they should think they're anything like Netflix is a complete mystery to me.

Of course, Blockbuster down here charges, like $15 per video, and besides, the nearest Blockbuster requires me to walk further than the local library or my sister's primary school (which is already a fair walk). There's a Video 2000 that's much closer and there I can get, like, three videos for under ten dollars. The downside of them being where they are is that they don't have too much stock. And they have one vol of Initial D which is listed as Sci-fi. But I don't go there to get anime anyway.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:43 pm

It's not anime per se that I'm disappointed they don't carry, though for me it's the primary issue. But they seem to refuse to stock anything other than, well, blockbusters. For me, if I want a movie-theater movie I have my premium cable, because when I'm in the mood for that kind of thing, I'm usually not too selective. When I actually go out and go to a store, I want something more geared away from the lowest common denominator. I want indie films, I want Bollywood, I want B-grade science fiction. I know there's probably more money in stocking 128 copies of Lord of the Rings, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:47 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:It's not anime per se that I'm disappointed they don't carry, though for me it's the primary issue. But they seem to refuse to stock anything other than, well, blockbusters. For me, if I want a movie-theater movie I have my premium cable, because when I'm in the mood for that kind of thing, I'm usually not too selective. When I actually go out and go to a store, I want something more geared away from the lowest common denominator. I want indie films, I want Bollywood, I want B-grade science fiction. I know there's probably more money in stocking 128 copies of Lord of the Rings, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.
Maybe it's just my Blockbuster, but mine has the indie films, the foreign films, the B-grades.... And they're usually cheap to rent. I love Blockbuster.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

usachan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by usachan » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:32 pm

I don't think this is a good policy at all. When they first came up with this thing I thought it must've been a joke, because a lot of people do take advantage of this policy. I think in less than a year they will go back to the old policy because they'll realize the no late fees thing just does not work.

Ayane
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Ayane » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:56 am

It's not just the restocking fees that people will get pissed off about. I'd bet almost anything that the people who didn't realize their credit card would be charged after seven days extra will be calling the customer service department to complain and demand that their OVERDRAFT fees be paid by BB because they weren't aware of the policy even though they signed their name to the blasted contract. At least, that's what would happen in similar situations when I worked for Hollywood Video's customer service call center...people would be charged for the video after FIFTY days of keeping it (or thereabouts) and they'd complain because they didn't read the rental agreement and didn't report the video stolen. Then they'd demand us to pay for their blasted overdraft fees because the debit card was overdrawn from the two months of late fees that were tacked on with the cost of the movie.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:32 am

Actually, I signed up for a Blockbuster Rental card a couple of weeks ago, and when I was signing the paper, the guy told me how the policy actually works. If you keep the video or whatever for longer than a month, then the hierarchy there assumes that you really liked the movie and then they charge the cost of the movie to your account, meaning that you end up buying the movie, therefore meaning that you get to keep it forever. So it isn't so much that the late fees are done away with. Blockbuster will still make their money.

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:59 pm

*nods* Which is exactly what I said in my post.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:13 pm

Looks like Blockbuster is having some problems with their new policy

There shares may have rose, but I'll bet they'll plumit now.

~Suicide Kings

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:45 pm

There's not much I can realyl add here, but I agree. When I first heard about it, the new policy didn't sound too promising. And why are the stores that are not participating advertising it? That's just retarded.

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:12 pm

So if you keep a DVD rental for more than 50 days, they automatically charge your credit card for the retail cost of the DVD? Do they notify you about that? It would be bad if they charged you for the DVD and you didn't know about it and returned it. :lol: But not having the actual DVD box sucks.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:14 pm

Eh, I would have to give a thumbs up to parts of this policy to a certain extent. If someone is so irresponsible to hold on to a rental for so long without returning it, then I feel that the rental store is being nice for only charging the said person for the full movie cost and letting them keep it. Honestly, if someone can't handle returning a movie within a certain amount of time set when renting it, then that person doesn't deserve any sort of credit, since if a simple task such as this is so hard, why would other companies give credit to someone who would be considered a bad risk? People need to learn responsibility, best they start with smaller things before they really fuck themselves over later on. Lessening the blow isn't going to help things in the big picture. Irresponsibility should be punished, not rewarded.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:19 am

The only thing I gotta say is this:

If I owned a video rental store, I would have a late fee enforced.

And if they lose or they destroy the movie, then they automatically buy it, regardless of whose fault it is.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1