Music you hate

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

MollyNephlite_Fan
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by MollyNephlite_Fan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:00 pm

Tiff wrote:
MollyNephlite_Fan wrote: Maybe it's not like this where you guys live, but where I live everyone only likes songs on the radio! They don't go out and look for real music! It's really sad when I song you've liked for months comes on the radio and suddenly it's your preppy sister's new favorite song.
Music on the radio IS real music. How is it not real music?? It's the same music you can find on CD's, unless you like really obscure underground bands that hardly anyone knows about. Most songs I love I first heard on the radio. I thnk that's the case with..just about anyone.
Really :? ? Maybe it's just me, but the songs I like I learned before they came on the radio. And of course the music is real, it's just some of it is so...BAD! I mean, whose heard "The Whisper Song" before?! It's so disgusting! And my sister and all her friends are obsessed! I don't know, I'm just more into music that it's on the "New Hits" radio stations.

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:59 am

I don't like "Wait" (the Whisper song) either. But I agree with Tiff said. Yeah if you mean you think it's bad music, just say so... I see a lot of people..hell it's only online come to think of it say "so and so" isn't real music. Then they go on and on about some band who only 1% of the population has heard of, and act like they're better than everyone else for liking some obscure band. And frankly, it's very illogical to think that way. It's as illogical as when people will pretend to like a song just because it's popular.

I listen to the radio when I'm in the car sometimes. Most of my favorite artists are "mainstream" artists from the 90s. It's ok to not listen to what is on the radio and prefer underground music (and vice versa), but please don't act like you're superior for having different tastes. I also don't understand at all what's so terrible about a song being on the radio that you liked for months before it hit the airwaves...

BTW Jupiter, technically hip-hop ISN'T the same as rap. Rap is rapping. Hip-hop is a culture first. Rap is apart of hip-hop culture. So is hip-hop/r&b. what makes music like Usher for an example, hip-hop/r&b, and not plain r&b is that alot of the music incorpaorates rapping, and the beats can also be used for rap.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

MollyNephlite_Fan
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by MollyNephlite_Fan » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:09 pm

LadyFlameSniper wrote:I don't like "Wait" (the Whisper song) either. But I agree with Tiff said. Yeah if you mean you think it's bad music, just say so... I see a lot of people..hell it's only online come to think of it say "so and so" isn't real music. Then they go on and on about some band who only 1% of the population has heard of, and act like they're better than everyone else for liking some obscure band. And frankly, it's very illogical to think that way. It's as illogical as when people will pretend to like a song just because it's popular.

I listen to the radio when I'm in the car sometimes. Most of my favorite artists are "mainstream" artists from the 90s. It's ok to not listen to what is on the radio and prefer underground music (and vice versa), but please don't act like you're superior for having different tastes. I also don't understand at all what's so terrible about a song being on the radio that you liked for months before it hit the airwaves...

BTW Jupiter, technically hip-hop ISN'T the same as rap. Rap is rapping. Hip-hop is a culture first. Rap is apart of hip-hop culture. So is hip-hop/r&b. what makes music like Usher for an example, hip-hop/r&b, and not plain r&b is that alot of the music incorpaorates rapping, and the beats can also be used for rap.
Well, I just think people like The Killers were way cooler before the whole world became obsessed with "Mr. Brightside" I went to there concert earlier this month and Mark (the lead singer) was like "Ok, now it's the song you've all been waiting for" in this really annoyed tone, as they started to play "Mr. Brightside" I think bands would like it much better if people would listen to more then one song on their album. Even if they are making lots of money from the albums that they are selling.

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:15 pm

<OT>
jupiter23 wrote:Am I the only one here who actually likes country music? Most of my CD collection is country.
Nope, I love country music. It's the only music I listen to on the radio, unless I'm feeling nice when someone else is in my vehicle.

</OT>

The music that I can't stand is rap. I just don't get it, but that's me.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:54 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it needs to be said...

..."My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas.

Need I say more? WHY do people actually LIKE THIS SONG??
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:07 am

Sylphiel wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread, but it needs to be said...

God yes. SO. MUCH. HATE.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:24 am

Slrjoecool wrote:

God yes. SO. MUCH. HATE.
Is that the one that goes "whatcha gonna do with all that junk, all that j unk inside yo' trunk"?

I despise that song.

I do like the one by them that starts off like the pulp fiction theme, and it's raelly fast. I dance to that one ^^;

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:47 pm

Tiff wrote:
Slrjoecool wrote:

God yes. SO. MUCH. HATE.
Is that the one that goes "whatcha gonna do with all that junk, all that j unk inside yo' trunk"?

I despise that song.

I do like the one by them that starts off like the pulp fiction theme, and it's raelly fast. I dance to that one ^^;
Yes, yes it is.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:40 pm

It's played often on a commercial for some cell(ular tele)phone that you can play music on. I don't *hate* it, but listening to it is like being in the room when someone is dancing drunk--you just feel awkward to be there. And calling curves humps is just tacky.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:56 pm

...the whole song is tacky.

"gonna get you love-drunk off my humps"

x_O;; ooooookay then. wtf is "love-drunk" anyway?

I hate the way the girl "sings" it too, it's like she's halfway between singing and rapping, not really holding a melody but sounding like an idiot.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:32 am

"Lovely lady lumps" has to be the dumbest fucking name for ass cheeks ever. For something called "ass cheeks" it can be considered quite a feat to come up with a sillier name.

It also drove me nuts when I heard the song they did sampling the guitar riff from Wipe Out. Leave my surf rock alone! *crotchety grandpa fist shake*

Also, Jessica Simpson should be flogged for that craptacular remake of These Boots Are Made For Walking. I was able to ignore her until that, but the pain has caught up with me.

*goes off to bang her head on a wall*
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:21 pm

People like My Humps because it's catchy and you can dance to it.
It's the reason songs with shallow lyrics become popular. The beat still catches on, so they don't care about the words. The only problem I see with that is most of the songs they make nowadays(especially in rap) fall into that category. And frankly, I think My Humps was supposed to be mocking what a lot of songs are about today, since it's over the top silly.

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:38 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:And calling curves humps is just tacky.
o.O THAT'S what the song's about? Good God, do I ever need to get my mind out of the gutter, these days....... ^^;;;

Fawn
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Fawn » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:09 pm

Hmmmmm.... I hate rap. I hate jazz, I hate contrey also... yup. :twisted:

Oh ya nad that, My humps song... I ABSOLUTELY HATE! :twisted:

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:35 pm

NameGoesHere
For something called "ass cheeks" it can be considered quite a feat to come up with a sillier name.
Oooo, can I try? How about gluteal landscapes? Or hourglass ass?
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:35 am

peachvampiress wrote:NameGoesHere
For something called "ass cheeks" it can be considered quite a feat to come up with a sillier name.
Oooo, can I try? How about gluteal landscapes? Or hourglass ass?
. . .

I do believe that you win. *gives Peach the award*

*snort* XD
LadyFlameSniper wrote:People like My Humps because it's catchy and you can dance to it.
It's the reason songs with shallow lyrics become popular. The beat still catches on, so they don't care about the words. The only problem I see with that is most of the songs they make nowadays(especially in rap) fall into that category.
That's generally why I prefer music without lyrics or foreign songs. That way I can find something I like without it being ruined by someone opening their mouth. A lot of pop/rap songs have catchy beats or arrangements, but the lyrics (or the horrible singers...) stop me from buying a penny's worth of it.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:38 am

Addressing several points, and I'm not quoting things.

Regarding hipster elitism...I'm not going to lie here. I get a feeling of joy when people tell me that they haven't heard of most of my favourite bands. It's illogical, and a little jerky, but I've never claimed to be anything but an asshole.

I don't listen to normal radio stations. I listen to a the local college station on occasion, and that's it. I don't agree with many policies that corporate-owned radio stations employ, especially payola fees.

I don't watch MTV either.

That said, I'm not the kind of hipster ass who hates anyone who can have an album go platinum. I'm happy that they can do that. And I like a lot of mainstream music. I adore the song "My Humps." Why? Because I don't take it seriously. It's fun as all hell, and it's a great dance song. It's never going to go in my favourites list, but I'll groove to it. And I'll like it.

Same with songs like "Golddigger," or anything groups like The Pussycat Dolls release.

Hating the songs because the lyrics don't try to be magnificent is a lot like hating Harry Potter because it isn't on a Great Books list.

As for music I actually hate...There isn't a lot. If I dislike something, I just don't listen to it. Very rarely do I develop a real hatred of it, simply because I haven't heard it enough.

There are two real exceptions.

You see, my comrades, I fully intend to one day wipe the taint of Fall Out Boy* and My Chemical Romance from existence.

They can't write, they can't sing, and they're boring. I can handle songs that try to be entertainment, like the ones mentioned above. I can't handle the thought that "Helena" and that horrible song that repeats "I'm not okay" five thousand times were ever good ideas in any sense.

My Chemical Romance will, once I have finished, never have existed in the first place. Fall Out Boy will be known as a small, unknown band that released one really fun song and then died, but first allowed one of my guilty pleasure bands to come out. They get this in return for releasing one song that I really like, and for Pete Wentz, who will one day be locked in a room where I can do a variety of terribly naughty things to him. Boy is hot as hell.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:56 am

You know what, Kisu? Sometimes I forget that. I like a LOT of songs that people consider to be "shitty" simply becuase I enjoy dancing to them, or singing with them. Hence, why I enjoy that other Black Eyed Peas song, or songs like "Hey Ya". Hell, even though I despise Britney Spears as a person, I adore Slave for U and Toxic.

And Sk8ter Boi? Yeah. I have that mp3, and I sing to it all the fucking time.

So i'm glad you said what you said, becuase you made the perfect analogy right here:

"Hating the songs because the lyrics don't try to be magnificent is a lot like hating Harry Potter because it isn't on a Great Books list. "

Just as Harry Potter isn't meant to be great literature, these songs aren't meant to be life-changing, meaningful sonnets.

Thanks for reminding me that I, too, can still enjoy mindless, meaningless fun.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:39 am

My Chemical Romance! My friend really adores it, ESPECIALLY Helena. I can't stand really loud music with yelling where I can't even understand the 'lyrics.' Plus there's that ugly picture they have for a logo-thing... Britney Spears! I used to like 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' or was it 'One More Time...'? Yeah. But now the lyrics SERIOUSLY creep me out. xD;;

The only time I listen to the radio is a very FEW times when I'm in the car. I don't think I've listened to the radio in the car yet this year, not even once. ^^; And when I do, it's mostly just for country. Yay, country~!

>>>And calling curves humps is just tacky.
Ah, so it was about what I thought it was and that I'm not as big as a perv as I thought I was. Woo!

WHO remade These Boots Are Made For Walking?! ...... Noooo. ;-;
My Art - My LiveJournal

Zeta from Bulbagarden. xD
>>>Lucario learns a move called "Tonbogaeri". This is a move in Judo feauturing a kick to the groin. Yes, they''ve actually made "Kick Him in the Nuts" an attack. It should SO do 150% more damage to male Pokemon. XD

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:52 am

I did like My Humps but I heard it too much. Now I just don't care for it. I usually have the radio station on the reggaeton station we get here while I'm in the car. I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I know a lot of the songs aren't anything meaningful, or basically telling you to dance. The music is geared towards dancing anyway. And it's so contagious, that I love driving to it. This is exactly why I don't believe music should only be about the lyrics, even though the best combination is good lyrics with a good beat, like a lot of 90s hip-hop.