Harry Potter

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:25 pm

I love that Dumbledore's gay!! My gaydar was totally off on this one. No wonder he never had children.

There was no indication he was straight though, either. What, just because Dumbledore didn't cast spells with a limp wrist and a lisp doesn't mean he must have been straight, all along, and JKR is just doing this for shits and giggles. lolheteronormative assumptions lol.

One of the reasons she pointed it out was because the scriptwriters for the movies were trying to give him a straight relationship. She supposedly scribbled over that part of the text with her note, "DUMBLEDORE IS GAY!!!"
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:18 pm

If you ask me, it seems awfully haughty of Rowling to criticize the movie scriptwriters for their "mistake" when there were no hints whatsoever in the books that Dumbledore was gay until she made this announcement, so why she acts so surprised that they didn't realize something that was never there until she said so is a mystery beyond me. If Rowling wanted to make sure that the movie writers got Dumbledore's sexuality right, wouldn't it have made more sense for her to tell them before they started writing the script?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:52 pm

If you ask me, it seems awfully haughty of Rowling to criticize the movie scriptwriters for their "mistake" when there were no hints whatsoever in the books that Dumbledore was gay until she made this announcement, so why she acts so surprised that they didn't realize something that was never there until she said so is a mystery beyond me. If Rowling wanted to make sure that the movie writers got Dumbledore's sexuality right, wouldn't it have made more sense for her to tell them before they started writing the script?
She wasn't criticizing them. She wasn't like, "Oh, those wretched screenwriters! Always screwing up my characters! Fuck the lot of them!" How is she "acting surprised" by correcting a script?

& she probably didn't expect them to arbitarily add a relationship for Dumbledore. I certainly wouldn't have expected that. The movies barely have enough time to kind-of go over the plot that's actually IN the books, let alone get creative. D:

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:If you ask me, it seems awfully haughty of Rowling to criticize the movie scriptwriters for their "mistake" when there were no hints whatsoever in the books that Dumbledore was gay until she made this announcement, so why she acts so surprised that they didn't realize something that was never there until she said so is a mystery beyond me. If Rowling wanted to make sure that the movie writers got Dumbledore's sexuality right, wouldn't it have made more sense for her to tell them before they started writing the script?
Um, how exactly is it haughty? She was just correcting something that would interfere with as-of-that-moment unrevealed information. I'm sure it wasn't the first time it happened. What was she supposed to do, reveal everything to the writers when they made the very first movie?

I don't really see the problem. It's not like the books ever said Dumbledore was straight. But if JKR said something like "Dumbledore loved Random Girl Witch a long time ago," I don't think we'd see the same level of stink being raised. It reminds me of when I watched the Boondock Saints with my friend and they couldn't get over the fact that the main character was gay "for no reason." Like gay people can't just exist in a story like they do in real life without a good reason.

And omfg Anthy?!

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:07 pm

Dumbledore was always a bit of a fop, always picked on because of his "weakness"/compassion. Masculinity constructs and all that.

But srsly you guys? No hint? Should she have made it some sort of huge plot point, made him do Cher drag at the Yule Ball?
And omfg Anthy?!
Let's just say I have a lot of shit to procrastinate :3

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:15 am

No hint? Remember the purple suit he wore in one of the HBP penseive scenes? I think it was the scene where he first met Tom Riddle. It may have been velvet. What straight man wears a suit of purple from head to toe? Well, maybe a pimp, but I'd prefer Gay!Dumbledore over Pimp!Dumbledore.

One thing that I'm annoyed by are the reactions of poeple who are all "OMG! Dumbledore was gay? That makes me question his relationship with Harry!". I've seen this on several forums and it really annoys me

Since when does gay automatically equal pedophile?

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:05 am

Jeff wrote:
Um, how exactly is it haughty? She was just correcting something that would interfere with as-of-that-moment unrevealed information. I'm sure it wasn't the first time it happened. What was she supposed to do, reveal everything to the writers when they made the very first movie?

And omfg Anthy?!
It's not like it would be that uncommon for authors to reveal future information to the producers of a movie. Using an anime example here, when Studio Bones produced the anime adaptation of FMA, Hiromu Arakawa revealed future information about the series to them before they even started producing the anime. Even Rowling has revealed future information to the script writers before the general public before. When they were producing the fifth movie, Rowling commented that they shouldn't cut Krecher from the film because he would have an important role later in the series and this was before the seventh book was released to the general public. Of course I don't expect her to reveal everything but obviously Dumbledore's sexuality is something important to her and by the time the sixth movie began production, the books had already finished, so I don't see why she didn't reveal this information before they got this far in the script writing. Although I guess to be fair Rowling did state she wished she could've revealed this information sooner. It makes me wonder if her publishers made her hold back on revealing what was potentially a good plot twist idea for her character in an attempt to make it more publicity stuntish. Looking back at the fourth book though, Dumbledore's sexuality does make sense in a way when you consider the scene where Dumbledore is trying to convince Hagrid that he should be proud of being a giant and not care about what others think of him. And maybe it just feels out of the blue because the first time I read the seventh book I read it in a rush to avoid spoilers. Perhaps it'll be more obvious if I re-read it at my own pace to take in all the little details more.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:22 pm

I just want to add that wearing a purple suit doesn't make someone gay. -_- I know plenty of straight guys who like the color purple, and wear it. Hell, look at some of the clubgoers in the goth scene. Purple velvet abound.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Banana
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Banana » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:57 am

Tiff wrote:I just want to add that wearing a purple suit doesn't make someone gay. -_- I know plenty of straight guys who like the color purple, and wear it. Hell, look at some of the clubgoers in the goth scene. Purple velvet abound.
I think she was being sarcastic. :P But I like the idea of a pimpin Dumbledore 8)

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:58 am

also Id like to add doing drag doesnt = gay either *points to self and smiles*
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:09 am

The vision of pimpin' Dumbledore makes me lmfao. XD

EDIT:

http://www.somethingpositive.net/arch/sp10232007.gif

And this is exactly how I feel, too. XD

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:14 pm

It was supposed to be a joke; though in retrospect, it was pretty hypocritical of me to make a gay stereotype joke and then in my next "breath" (so to speak) lash out at people for perpetuating a different stereotype. I hope no one was offended by my post. I truly apologize.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:22 pm

Butterscotch wrote:It was supposed to be a joke; though in retrospect, it was pretty hypocritical of me to make a gay stereotype joke and then in my next "breath" (so to speak) lash out at people for perpetuating a different stereotype. I hope no one was offended by my post. I truly apologize.
Meh, no harm. I'm all addle-minded from being sick, so I may have just read you wrong.

=D

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:21 pm

Why do characters have to make a point out of being gay? Rowling has tons and tons of random backstory for EVERYTHING in her books. The gay thing was just part of that. And it's not like she staged a press conference to announce the Dumblefag; someone asked her a question and she answered it. It was just considered newsworthy enough to be reported.
also Id like to add doing drag doesnt = gay either *points to self and smiles*
Oh, most definitely. My ex boyfriend was a drag queen. Dressing up as a female icon, especially a diva, is a staple of gay pride events, though.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:31 pm

I fail to see how "Dumbledore is gay!" is an answer to "So, does Dumbledore find love?" Just sayin.

And totally agree on the drag queen thing. A lot of striaght guys AND girls cross dress.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:38 pm

But what's wrong with reading Harry Potter multiple times? I've been reading the series for the third time even before this announcement but maybe I'm just crazy. :P

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:39 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
But what's wrong with reading Harry Potter multiple times? I've been reading the series for the third time even before this announcement but maybe I'm just crazy. :P
Nothing, I read them over and over. Just his response to the "gay" thing, is what I meant. XD

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:23 pm

That was sort of weird, but she did say stuff about him being with Grindelwald, which actually does have impact on the story. *shrug* So she did answer the question. Eventually.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:23 am

Butterscotch wrote:It was supposed to be a joke; though in retrospect, it was pretty hypocritical of me to make a gay stereotype joke and then in my next "breath" (so to speak) lash out at people for perpetuating a different stereotype. I hope no one was offended by my post. I truly apologize.
no offense taken. and I just realized that my post was misleading two. I dont do drag I just crossdress from time to time (yes there is a BIG difference lol)

Anyway a friend of mine wanted me to post this. It's not my opinion.

He is annoyed at the dumbledore thing not because of him being gay but because it seems to him that everyone is making characters gay these days because its "The cool thing to do"

he also wanted me to add that he himself is gay.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:20 pm

peachvampiress wrote:Just something I thought you Harry Potter fans might like: They've made some really nice Harry Potter figures In the past hasn't Harry Potter merchandise been kind of crappy? I thought these figures looked really neat (that Dementor figure looks so cool I'd consider getting it).
Why is it NOW I see your post!!! They made a Lucius figure!!! A LUCIUS ONE DAMN IT!!!

;___; I want it so,so,so bad. I've looked everywhere, and last month I decided. "They must not have made one".

And here it is.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt