Harry Potter

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Harry Potter

Post by FoxFire » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:05 pm

Since they've come up several times in the discussion about Wicca, I was wondering what people think of the Harry Potter books besides for that they're not an accurate representation of Wiccans?

I've read all 5 books (and seen both the movies) and I love them all. I was a bit disappointed by Order of the Phoenix though. I still loved it, but it wasn't as good as Giblet of Fire, and up until now I think they've all gotten better with each book. And also...

[spoiler]I can't believe they killed Sirius! He was my favorite character! Well him and Lupin, and now that Lupin is Harry's last link to his dad I hope that he plays a greater role in the next two books.[/spoiler]
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:23 pm

Frist off Dumbledore is hidding something about himslef and Harry I know it ( I've been obssing over this since I read the first book)

I love reading the book's they are a great for a short read. JK has done a good job of keep up wiht her oragainl fanbase adn makeing the books daker but not to dark.
Can't wait for the next 2 book's hope they come out after a while.

Moives are rubbish the acctnes are auwfaul and sound fake and out on ( I now they are Englsih but come off it no one has that storng an accnte as some of them try and make to belive)

Edit: the Dumbledore thing He's harry grandad I tell you why eles did he have the cloak? The cloak is the key.
Last edited by Em on Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Lady of the Light
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Lady of the Light » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:27 pm

I also love Harry Potter, I'm a huge fan. My favorite character would have to be Lucius Malfoy, because he's just so evil...And hot...I mean, just look at the long, sexy blond hair... :lol:

I enjoy the books, but I agree, I found the Goblet of Fire to be a bit disappointing. But it was still good, but honestly, how many times can Harry blow up and lose his temper in one book? I was really starting to get annoyed with him doing that...

As for the movies, I don't like them near as much as the books. I don't know why, it's just me. *shrug* I get annoyed by the actors...

I also think that Dumbledore will turn evil. Just wait...He will come over to the dark side...
Mr. James : Lost a satellite on liftoff today.
Dave : Cost?
Mr. James : 10 million dollars.
Dave : Result?
Mr. James : Extreme set back.
Dave : Milk?
Mr. James : Spilled.
Dave : Gonna cry about it?
Mr. James : Not even.
Dave : I''m sitting on a rather sharp tack.
Mr. James : That's gotta hurt.
Dave : Well, life's a bitch...
Mr. James : ...And then you die.
Dave : My...
Mr. James : ...oh...
Dave : ...my.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:19 pm

I love Harry Potter, and I loved the Order of the Phoenix. People went on and on about how much they couldn't stand Harry and his moodiness in that book, but it made me love him even more. It made him REAL. People are flawed, and are flooded with emotion. I know i'd be pissed if what has happened to Harry happened to me, so I had no problem with his outbursts.
I love Sirius Black, Harry, Hermione, and Lupin.
And I have a new respect for Snape after seeing how horrible James and Sirius were to him. No wonder the man's bitter.
Can't wait until the next movie.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

MonkeyDLuffy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by MonkeyDLuffy » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:44 pm

i do love books. the 5th made me love harry even more, just like tiffu ^^ i mean [spoiler]if all of your only friends sent you NOTHING and left you to die at your uncles, and you were locked in your room for like, ever, would you be all perky and happy go lucky too??? [/spoiler]

people that stay they didnt like his attitude make me sick. i want to see their reactions to simular situations....without the wizarding influence. cant wait for the next 2 books! i like how they shrunk the writing so that its smaller size. plus, you get more info each page, and doesnt weigh a ton to bring around ^^;;
"I Need you Baby Baby
DOKIDOKI suru
Baby Baby kuchibiru ga
Baby Baby
Romance furueru
Baby Baby hoho wo yosete
Baby Baby kimagure ne
Baby Baby
Sore de mo shiawase
HORA kibou ga mieru
HORA kagayaku no
HORA hajimaru wa!"

~Romance, Ayaka Komatsu

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:50 pm

Em wrote:Frist off Dumbledore is hidding something about himslef and Harry I know it ( I've been obssing over this since I read the first book)

I love reading the book's they are a great for a short read. JK has done a good job of keep up wiht her oragainl fanbase adn makeing the books daker but not to dark.
Can't wait for the next 2 book's hope they come out after a while.

Moives are rubbish the acctnes are auwfaul and sound fake and out on ( I now they are Englsih but come off it no one has that storng an accnte as some of them try and make to belive)

Edit: the Dumbledore thing He's harry grandad I tell you why eles did he have the cloak? The cloak is the key.
Dumbledore is SOOO gonna be evil. Or, at the very least, he's going to want to use Harry to stop his own death. My reason for believing this:

[spoiler]In the Fourth book, when Harry says that Voldemort returned to life, he sees a sparkle in Dumbledore's eyes. I think Dumbledore wants to learn how, and will use Harry for that.[/spoiler]

I agree with Tiff and Luffy. I liked the fifth one best because he was so human. I prefer human characters, rather than the perfect ones. I mean, how many times did Harry get really pissed off before the fifth one? Probably around 5. It was annoying. Now, though, he's human. And I think more likeable, as well as more identifiable.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Re: Harry Potter

Post by Slrjoecool » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:10 pm

FoxFire wrote:...good as Giblet of Fire...
Shouldn't that be Goblet of Fire?

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:18 pm

I love the Harry Potter novels. I've read books 1-4 and I'm still tring to read the 5th book, but I'm taking a break from it and I'm reading something else.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Re: Harry Potter

Post by FoxFire » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:23 pm

I also agree that Harry's rage throughout Order of the Phoenix was justified, and made him more human. Another thing that I liked was how the ending was different. One problem that was developing was that the ending of each book was the same as with the ending of each season of Sailor Moon, Harry (or Sailor Moon) always saves the day. This time...

[spoiler]Not only does Harry not save the day, but his own impulsive actions results in the death of his godfather. I'm still sad that Sirius is gone, but I like what a darker and more mature twist that was. [/spoiler]
Slrjoecool wrote:Shouldn't that be Goblet of Fire?
Yes it should have been, my bad.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:02 am

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote: Dumbledore is SOOO gonna be evil. Or, at the very least, he's going to want to use Harry to stop his own death. My reason for believing this:

[spoiler]In the Fourth book, when Harry says that Voldemort returned to life, he sees a sparkle in Dumbledore's eyes. I think Dumbledore wants to learn how, and will use Harry for that.[/spoiler]

Now you see I reackon the reason for that is [spoiler]They have a boned now as shown in the OoP Dumblodore now reackons that Volddy can be killed beucase of this and the prochye can now come true [/spoiler]
But we have our own opoins on the matter
and I'll doubt we're agree and it's not worth haveing an barny over it
Also Harry in the 5th book I now think of him as all gohty and wearing black I don't know why I just do
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:51 pm

I bet by the 7th Harry and Hermione are going to be together.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:08 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:I bet by the 7th Harry and Hermione are going to be together.
Nah, most of the evidence seems to indicate that Ron and Hermione will be the ones who get together. Harry will probably end up with either Ginny or that new Luna Lovegood character.
Fox

--The Drummer

--Alanis Morissette

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:24 pm

Now I've only read up to the 4th book so bear with me (I'm cheap and only buy them when they come out on paper back :cry: ). I agree with FoxFire that Ron and Hermione will probably end up togeather, but I kinda like the idea of Harry and Cho. However after the 4th book I'm not as possitive about Harry and Cho, Ginny would be a good subsitute for Cho as Harry's first Girl friend/only GF, but I think that Ron might kill him if he went out with her.
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:11 pm

After the 5th book, I found Cho to be very annoying and selfish. [spoiler]She didn't seem to take the hint that Harry and Hermione were just friends nor did she understand Harry's reason for not wanting to talking about watching Cedric die (and who would??). I think she thought that being close to Harry would be like being close to Cedric again.[/spoiler]
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

Ojamajo_LimePie
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Ojamajo_LimePie » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:21 pm

I never liked Cho to begin with. :P I'm glad Harry's gotton past his crush on her; there's plenty of better people out there for him. *waves SS+HP 4ever banner* :D

Poor Sirius. :cry: I feel so sorry for Remus. And the puppyshippers (myself included.)
Join the campaign to get Ojamajo Doremi released with subtitles!
Subtitle Our Doremi! Campaign

Vchan
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Vchan » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:18 pm

*huge puppyshipper*

*huge Snarry shipper*

*huge R/Hr shipper*

Go Neville/Ginny! I really think the pairings will be Harry/Luna, Neville/Ginny and Ron/Hermione, even though I have no problem with Harry/Ginny. I have trouble with Luna/Neville, and I can't stand Harry/Hermione. Please, don't get me started on H/Hr.

As everybody probably knows already (who's recognized my sig? Be honest...) I'm a huge HP fan. I've got a couple theories to try out on you guys.

-Regulus Black is not dead. He is the 'one who has left me forever.' (I'm fully convinced Snape was in the graveyard that night.)

-Fudge could also be the one who has left me forever (but only if Regs is dead). He says 'Voldemort' only once, when

[spoiler]Snape shows him the mark on his arm as proof Vold is back. Fudge seems a hell of a lot more scared then just a politician trying to cover his ass.[/spoiler]

-Pettigrew had help the day he blew up the street. I'll even go as far as to say Fudge was his help, but not in a Death Eater sort of way, but as an ambitious sort of way. [i.e. Peter goes to Fudge, perhaps anonymously, and tells him he knows where to catch a bad guy. I believe Fudge wouldn't care if some Muggles died if he got promoted.]

-Ron is going to die. If anyone wants me to post my long list of evidence, I will later.
"Come on, you can do better than that!"- Famous last words.

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:40 pm

I kinda liked the Harry/Cho pairing. Maybe it was because she was Asian and the liked the idea of Harry being with an Asian girl, or maybe it was because she was a Ravenclaw and I think Ravenclaw is the coolest house but its not featured enough. I accepted that their relationship probably wasn't going to go very far (it was extremely unpopular with fans, and she was his first crush and who goes that far with their first crush) but I was unhappy with how they characterized her towards the end, especially when they had her throwing hissy fits all the time when she had previously been characterized as being nice. I think she really did feel something for Harry, but it was too soon after Cedric's death for her and she felt she couldn't be with him because of his connection.

Now that Harry and Cho seem to be history, I support the Harry/Luna pairing. If it can't be with Cho at least let it be another Ravenclaw.
Fox

--The Drummer

--Alanis Morissette

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:21 pm

I'm in agreement with KoiNoVash about Cho. What a brat. But I suppose that shows her flaws, too. She just annoyed me, though.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Ojamajo_LimePie
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Ojamajo_LimePie » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:00 pm

Vchan wrote:*huge puppyshipper*

*huge Snarry shipper*

*huge R/Hr shipper*

Go Neville/Ginny! I really think the pairings will be Harry/Luna, Neville/Ginny and Ron/Hermione, even though I have no problem with Harry/Ginny. I have trouble with Luna/Neville, and I can't stand Harry/Hermione. Please, don't get me started on H/Hr.
I ship R/Hr, too! Can't stand H/Hr.

Ginny/Neville kind of gave me a little vibe. However, I prefer Ginny/Luna.
Join the campaign to get Ojamajo Doremi released with subtitles!
Subtitle Our Doremi! Campaign

RyoRei0110
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RyoRei0110 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:28 pm

I don't really mind Cho in OotP. At times she was really annoying and selfishlike, but I guess I can understand her view too, that she felt she needed to talk about it, and thought Harry would understand and have the feeling too. I think in the next book he may finally understand the feeling a bit more (once he & everyone else tries to stop avoiding the subject.)

I don't mind Harry in OotP either. The moodiness and outbursts did make him seem more real, but what would've made it a little more realistic if someone else besides Ginny stood up to him, instead of cowering and listening to him rant (which kinda shows how similar Ginny is to Lily {in the snape ordeal})

On a sidenote my fav. characters are Ron, Sirius, & Ginny.
Characters I just simply enjoy are Tonks, Lupin, Moody, Angelina (in OotP), & Draco
Vchan wrote:Go Neville/Ginny! I really think the pairings will be Harry/Luna, Neville/Ginny and Ron/Hermione, even though I have no problem with Harry/Ginny. I have trouble with Luna/Neville, and I can't stand Harry/Hermione. Please, don't get me started on H/Hr.

I'm a R/Hr Shipper myself ^_^ I also ship Harry/Ginny & Harry/Cho (which seems unlikely now)
::cries:: Its been forver!! And this place has changed... oh how I''ve missed it all ::hugs::