Favorite Video Game

Video games and anime sometimes tie in with each other, plus video games kick ass. =P Discuss them here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailor Moon
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Favorite Video Game

Post by Sailor Moon » Thu May 27, 2004 4:47 pm

My favorite video game is Final Fantasy 7. Final Fantasy VII brings back so many memories. It helped me through a lot of hard times, and the storyline, characters and everything was so well developed. Each character had an enchanting past, and the flashbacks were so interesting. I loved all of the characters, and their are so many memorable scenes. I have played every Final Fantasy game. I love every one. Each one has a fantastic storyline. Before Final Fantasy games entered my life, I had always thought Zelda games were better, then once I played Final Fantasy games, I felt like so regretful for saying something without trying, I think Final Fantasy games are better now. That's just my opinion, please don 't get offended if you disagree, I love both the Final Fantasy series and Zelda series dearly, I was just explaining about how my opinion changed, and how I regret how I thought then. Final Fantasy is my favorite series ever. My old opinion was before I really played RPGs. Anyway, I love all Final Fantasy games, Zelda games, Lunar games, RPGs, etc., but Final Fantasy games are my favorite of all time. I've played hundreds of RPGs, but none can match up to the Final Fantasy feel. Each Final Fantasy game is special, since I played every Final Fantasy game, I tend to get nostalgic whener I turn on an FF game. It brings back so many memories. Final Fantasy VII has to be my favorite video game ever. Final Fantasy 7 is an epic game everyone should have a chance to get to play. Final Fantasy 4 is another great game, but that's another topic. I've been a huge Final Fantasy fan for a long time, and regret the days where I'd think differently. Final Fantasy games are incredible and so memorable, and Final Fantasy VII is a game no one should miss. If this post is inappropriate for the topic, please inform me.
Usagi and Mamoru are my favorite couple ever. Usagi and Mamoru forever!

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu May 27, 2004 7:17 pm

hm... VERY tough question...

I'll start by genre:

Shooter: Halo: Combat Evolved (waiting for Halo 2... *drools*)
Adventure: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
RPG: Pokemon Blue (started an entire series of games, and made after a Manga)
Flight sim: X-wing Alliance
Fighting: Super Smash Brothers Melee
Action: Metroid Prime (Hey, it turned up on Gamefaqs under action...)
(edit)
Older games: I forgot... the top-selling game of ALL TIME... Super Mario Brothers 3! how I could have forgotten this is beyond me...

Hm... from there... *ponders*
I really can't choose one. all are good games, and all deserve a mention. Plus, I can't go around picking favorites of everything... an all-time favorite game is really hard...
Last edited by yoshmaster5 on Fri May 28, 2004 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu May 27, 2004 9:38 pm

Ah..I don't play many video games...I'll have to go with Dance Dance Revolution XD

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu May 27, 2004 10:11 pm

Tiff wrote:Ah..I don't play many video games...I'll have to go with Dance Dance Revolution XD
Certainly my pick for most unique (or, for those of you who think that construct is poor usage, most nonconformist), at least until I can save up the money for Karaoke rev.

Favorite of all time is a tough call, though.

Soul Calibur is my favorite two-player game, great for long one-on-one marathons or king-of-the-mountain type games at parties.

The obvious genre for favoritism is the RPG, since it has things like characters and plot, but I really don't like investing the time and energy needed for them. Still, I've played a few, and Final Fantasy VIII was the one I liked the most, so in terms of pure emotions, I'd probably throw that out there. The "Eyes on Me" scene in the spaceship is great stuff, though I wish they'd made it a little clearer what a big, fully-functional, long-lost ship was doing just hanging around to rescue the two characters. (Or did I answer my own inquiry?) Also noteworthy is Zelda: Link to the Past.

But here's the thing: you must to some degree consider games within the time they were produced. Pac-man wouldn't stand up to any of the modern games, but you would still understand if someone said it was their favorite--it affected them the most at the time. So the one I'm going to officially put on the pedastal is Super Mario Brothers 3. To an SMB1 player, it was a beautiful message: it said, "Here's a game with completely familiar gameplay, only with the world expanded to the hundredth power." It was the first game to me that suggested this whole video-game thing might bridge the gap from blocky images and tinny synth music to true interactive entertainment. The innovations we've seen since and the ones I hope to see give me great confidence.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Thu May 27, 2004 10:44 pm

I don't have an all time favorite. I'll t do top 4 for fighting and rpgs, since I play those two genres the most.

Fighting

Tekken Tag Tournament- So much fun even after what 5 years? Maybe Tekken 5 will top it though. We'll see.

Soul Calibur 1- The second game in the Soul series and the game that got me back into fighting games. This game is the main reason I bought a Dreamcast. You might be surprised that I didn't say Soul Calibur 2, but SC2 didn't live up to its expectations. SC1 is better.

Guilty Gear XX- Unique fighting engine, unique characters, and one hell of a soundtrack. That's coming from someone who doesn't like most of the metal music out there.

Street Fighter Alpha 3- The SF series is a classic and this one is my favorite installment

RPGs

Final Fantasy 7 and Chrono Trigger- These games live up to their hype for the most part. I never enjoyed an rpg as much as either of them. Neither of these games were my first rpg but they are the ones that pulled me into the genre.

Star Ocean: The Second Story and Valkyrie Profile- 2 wonderful rpgs made by Enix before they merged with Square. VP is too overlooked and deserves a sequel too!
Last edited by LadyFlameSniper on Sun May 30, 2004 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu May 27, 2004 10:50 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:
Tiff wrote:Ah..I don't play many video games...I'll have to go with Dance Dance Revolution XD
Certainly my pick for most unique (or, for those of you who think that construct is poor usage, most nonconformist), at least until I can save up the money for Karaoke rev.
I also love Karaoke Revolution, and am quite good at is if I do say so myself ^^;;

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Lady of the Light
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Lady of the Light » Thu May 27, 2004 11:00 pm

Hmm...I like weird games, Dance Dance Revolution included. I've gotten all my friends hooked on it.
Another one of my favourites is Rhapsody:A Musical Adventure which involves a girl who can talk to puppets, and goes out on an adventure to find her true love. Strange at times, since one of the places you go is inside a worm, but it's pretty awesome.
I also love Paper Mario. I like the way the battle system is, and my all-time favourite place is Shiver City. The little story line with Herringway or whoevertheheck is sweet.
Mr. James : Lost a satellite on liftoff today.
Dave : Cost?
Mr. James : 10 million dollars.
Dave : Result?
Mr. James : Extreme set back.
Dave : Milk?
Mr. James : Spilled.
Dave : Gonna cry about it?
Mr. James : Not even.
Dave : I''m sitting on a rather sharp tack.
Mr. James : That's gotta hurt.
Dave : Well, life's a bitch...
Mr. James : ...And then you die.
Dave : My...
Mr. James : ...oh...
Dave : ...my.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu May 27, 2004 11:08 pm

Tiff wrote:I also love Karaoke Revolution, and am quite good at is if I do say so myself ^^;;
Sadly, I probably won't be. :cry: I've got a great ear for music--and no control over my own larynx. So I love to sing along to music, but I have to turn it way up to drown myself out.

I should also mention here another favorite of mine, the game Vib Ribbon. This was also a music reaction game like DDR or BeatMania, but only with 4 keys. The kick to it was that the game had only 6 songs built in, but you could take out the game and put in a music CD and it would design levels built around the songs you played. I want this function for DDR, and I really want it for a karaoke game.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

I <3 all you guys!

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Fri May 28, 2004 1:05 am

Favorite game? I like a lot of games, but my all-time favorite console game would have to be Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES. Tons of levels, power-ups, enemies, secrets, and a high replay value.

As for favorite arcade game..I'd say it's the Dance Dance Revolution series, especially 4th Mix Plus and Extreme. Lots of fun to play. This month marks the 33rd month I've played DDR, and still playing.
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Re: Favorite Video Game

Post by Aya Reiko » Fri May 28, 2004 1:59 am

Sailor Moon wrote: [snip]
Just a word of advise. Please, don't hesitate to make multiple paragraphs in your posts. I got a headache after reading that whole thing.

Anyhoo...

Fav game... Fav game... Fav game... hmmm...

[smacks head against desk]

Fighting - Melty Blood (Ciel rules)

Action - Ninja Gaiden

RPG - Don't have a true fav at the moment...

FPS - UT 2004 (Onslaught owns)

TBS - Civ III (Despite I appearently suck at it. :P )

Misc. - DOA:XBV (Bouncy, bouncy :wink: )
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Fri May 28, 2004 11:22 am

Favorite game, hands down. Xenogears. This game is so underrated. Everyone just kinda looks past it and goes on to the (predictable) "Final Fantasy VII is the best game ever!" cliche.

Sorry, I'm just a little bitter about the whole FFVII is everyone's favorite game (and i do mean, everyone, it's kind of ridiculous, lol). I dunno, but FFVII is kind of low on my favorite game list. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but it was lacking in several areas (like the ending).

Xenogears on the other hand, AMAZING. What it lacked in gameplay it made up for 10x in story. One of the most amazing epic stories ever. Just thinking about makes me drool. mmmm, xenogears..............

TBA

Ni-ban Neko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Ni-ban Neko » Fri May 28, 2004 12:37 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:I should also mention here another favorite of mine, the game Vib Ribbon. This was also a music reaction game like DDR or BeatMania, but only with 4 keys. The kick to it was that the game had only 6 songs built in, but you could take out the game and put in a music CD and it would design levels built around the songs you played. I want this function for DDR, and I really want it for a karaoke game.
Someone else has heard of Vib Ribbon! :D I've been wanting to try it for ages now, but I've never had a chance. It's such a nifty concept.

Have you heard of or played Rez? It's a similar concept in that what you do affects the music, but it's a shooter instead.

Music/rhythm games are one of my very favorite genres. I like pretty much all the Bemani games I've tried, which include DDR, ParaPara Paradise, Drummania, Beatmania, and Beatmania IIDX, (two dee ecks) which is seven-key Beatmania, and also hands down is the game with the hardest learning curve I've ever seen. I haven't tried Karaoke Revolution yet - I like the concept a lot, but I don't like the songlist in the current version, so I'm waiting for an expansion pack.

I like Samba de Amigo, Bust-A-Groove, and Space Channel 5, too. :)

As for RPGs, the Lunar games, FFVIII, and Chrono Trigger top my list.

Miscellaneous games that are on my favorites list include the Megaman Legends series (so underrated, and so good), Soul Calibur I and II, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Super Mario Brothers 3, and Tetris. Yes. Tetris. XD
Jen Graña ~ Ni-ban Neko
LiveJournal ~ tw.net
~thank you for the avatar, Secret Santa <3~

--

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri May 28, 2004 1:23 pm

AnimeGuru0 wrote:Sorry, I'm just a little bitter about the whole FFVII is everyone's favorite game (and i do mean, everyone, it's kind of ridiculous, lol). I dunno, but FFVII is kind of low on my favorite game list. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but it was lacking in several areas (like the ending).

Xenogears on the other hand, AMAZING. What it lacked in gameplay it made up for 10x in story. One of the most amazing epic stories ever. Just thinking about makes me drool. mmmm, xenogears..............
I've read a lot of "hardcore gamerz" (their z, not mine) talk about how the modern FF series (7 through X-2) is such a poor repesentative of the RPG gnere, because the games are so linear and there's not a lot of deep gameplay. They'll then go on to talk about the poor characterization and plots, et cetera. OK, fair enough, but what I don't like is the implication that popularity and quality are mutually exclusive. Clearly, the FFs have something to make people play.

As I've said, when it comes to video games, I'm a dabbler. I'm like the anime fan who watches Dragonball and Pokemon and for whom anything more complex than that is over his head. If I had the patience and the inclination, I probably would be into some better-written and better-programmed stuff. But I don't, and so the FFs I've played are enough. There's probably a lot of people like me out there who take that attitude, and comparatively few serious players who can appreciate high-quality. But FF-level (Hmmm. . . there's a hexadecimal pun there) gamers take nothing away from higher-level gamers, just as Pokemon fans take nothing away from fans of more serious anime.
Ni-ban Neko wrote:Have you heard of or played Rez? It's a similar concept in that what you do affects the music, but it's a shooter instead.
No. Again, playing off of the point above, I'm terrible at shooters, both first-person and overhead, and derive no entertainment from them. I know people who can sit there with Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun and take pride and enjoyment in knowing the exact position and motion to use in every situation, but I'm not one of them.

I like Samba de Amigo too, though I've never gotten to play it with the proper equipment. '^_^' I love the name of the one game, "Ichi. . . ni. . . sanba" Multilingual puns rule, especially when none of the languages is English.

Tetris: this is one of those games that you don't actually play with the conscious mind, the eyes and hand work quite independently of the brain. I still think it was the last-ditch Soviet effort to win the Cold War--get every American staring at the falling blocks, then fire the missiles before we had. a chance to realize it. :D

I <3 all you guys!

ChillerXZ
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by ChillerXZ » Fri May 28, 2004 3:07 pm

wow, hard question.....ummmm....I think I'd have to say Final Fantasy VII
-ChillerXZ >_<

I know for a fact that God has a plan for everyone. I guess that just happens to make me Plan B... ---

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Fri May 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Action/Adventure- Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Fighting- Tekken Tag Tournament

RPG- Tie between Final Fantasy 8, 10, and Resident Evil for Gamecube

Sports- MVP Baseball 2004

Classic- Super Mario World. That is the best Mario game ever!
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Fri May 28, 2004 5:04 pm

Action: Final Fight, Streets of Rage series, Revenge of Shinobi, Grand Theft Auto 3 (and Vice City), Super Mario series, Metroid

RPG: Final Fantasies 5, 7, 8, 10, Pokemon (Red, Gold, Silver, and Sapphire)

Shooters (old-school): Thunder Force series, Gradius, any Cave shooter (DonPachi, DoDonPachi; they make the most frenetic shooters ever!) Mahou Daisakusen series (Mahou Daisakusen, Kingdom Grand Prix, Dimahoo)
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri May 28, 2004 6:38 pm

AnimeGuru0 wrote:Sorry, I'm just a little bitter about the whole FFVII is everyone's favorite game (and i do mean, everyone, it's kind of ridiculous, lol). I dunno, but FFVII is kind of low on my favorite game list. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but it was lacking in several areas (like the ending).

Heh I'm one of the few who didn't enjoy Xenogears... It's like everyone else loved it. But I dunno, everything about that game bored me so much... I couldn't be bothered to finish it.

And I realize that FF7 isn't perfect.. The ending bothered me too. ~_~ I don't like endings without real closure, if you know what I mean. But on a whole it's one of those games that I've played countless times and enjoy it everytime. It's not my absolute favorite game though... as I said in my other post I can't decide on one. :P
I've read a lot of "hardcore gamerz" (their z, not mine) talk about how the modern FF series (7 through X-2) is such a poor repesentative of the RPG gnere, because the games are so linear and there's not a lot of deep gameplay. They'll then go on to talk about the poor characterization and plots, et cetera. OK, fair enough, but what I don't like is the implication that popularity and quality are mutually exclusive. Clearly, the FFs have something to make people play.
Yea I heard this a lot from "hardcore gamerz" and I have to disagree. With the exception of FF9, I prefer the new FF games (7,8,10, X-2)to the old school ones. FF6 was the first one I played. I ended up beating FF7 first though, and came back to FF6 a lot later. (maybe a few months after I beat FF7) I didn't think it was that great as a whole, but not bad either. As a matter of fact I prefer FF4 but never got around to finishing FF4.

Although FF7 and 8 weren't insanely difficult, (but could be time consuming) they were the most enjoyable... in my opinion. FFX and X-2 were more challenging, especially if you try to tackle all of those pain in the ass sidequests. But the challenge doesn't determine whether an rpg is enjoyable or not for me. I also like more of the newer characters, the plots, and the battle systems.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri May 28, 2004 8:05 pm

Ah, well, if we're including nintendo games, then

..Super Mario Brothers 2. I LOVE that damn game.

I also love Gameboy Tetris..woo I was the tetris MASTER.

I also kicked much ass at Sonic the Hedgehog..love it.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri May 28, 2004 8:20 pm

Tiff wrote:I also kicked much ass at Sonic the Hedgehog..love it.
Sonic always struck me as being too easy with the whole If-he-has-at-least-one-ring-he-can't-be-killed-plus-you-can-get-a-sheild-and-protect-your-rings thing. It was maybe the first popular game that was less about winning than winning perfectly. I think I managed once or twice to complete the game without taking a ring-hit.

I <3 all you guys!

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri May 28, 2004 8:39 pm

Tiff wrote:Ah, well, if we're including nintendo games, then

..Super Mario Brothers 2. I LOVE that damn game.

I also love Gameboy Tetris..woo I was the tetris MASTER.

I also kicked much ass at Sonic the Hedgehog..love it.
adam-kun... baka baka baka... *talking about self* how the hell could I forget SONIC THE HEDGEHOG????? One of the first video games I ever played... Sonic 2 was the first game on a TV console I ever played... to this day I still have NOT beaten that game... Sailor Asteroid, just TRY beating the final level of Sonic 2. you fight METAL SONIC, and a giant Eggman robot that can only be damaged at one point... with NO RINGS AT ALL. *shudder* Oh man... the sonic games are SO FUN! I have played almost every sonic game on GCN and Genesis. I'd like to play Knuckles Chaotix though... just to get a background about them... Playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles is classic. it NEVER gets old, IMO. [spoiler]Super Tails is kickass too. ^_^ man... that guy just RAPES bosses... just turn to Super Tails and you will have a dead boss in about 5 seconds.[/spoiler]

I didn't like Super Mario 2 too much... I prefer the original style of game play... but that's my opinion. In that, peach is the ultimate character. *shakes head* just strange to me.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06