The PSP: Yay or Nay?

Video games and anime sometimes tie in with each other, plus video games kick ass. =P Discuss them here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

The PSP: Yay or Nay?

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:17 pm

I haven't seen one, let alone played one (where I live), but I would like to get one for one game: Twisted Metal Head-On, as I've been a sucker for TM since part 2.

It may be the only serious to the Nintendo DS.

What are your thoughts?
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:41 pm

I can't say yet.

What I can say, is NOA needs to get their asses off the ground, and start MARKETING WELL. Their idiots right now, they need to start making more GOOD games for the DS, and get Metroid Prime: Hunters released ASAP. Without it, and no shooters for the DS except for the demo, PSP's shooters will steal the majority of the teen audience, which currently is major in the gaming industry. Nintendo is a marketing idiot currently, and some of their commercials are horrid too. *horrid memories of Mario Sunshine* oh god... *shudder* Plus, the DS only has about 5-8 games out, while PSP on it's LAUNCH DATE has 24. *shakes head* Nintendo had a small, repeat SMALL, VERY SMALL advantage getting the DS out before the PSP, and they didn't do anything. They are trying to make a lot more money off the Game Boy, which I can understand, but if they want to compete with the PSP, they will NEED to focus more on the DS. You make more money making games people want FOR the system you want them to buy, instead of continuing making GBA games mainly. They are trying to make the transition as slow as possible, and it would have worked if Sony didn't make the PSP. now that it's out however, Nintendo needs to step up their gear. Also, they need to get Advance Wars DS out soon. It made a lot of money, and also helped along with SSBM to get the Fire Emblem series to the US, which I am currently addicted to.

Overall right now, Nintendo is getting a run for their money. This could hurt them a lot, but one hazard for the PSP is right now: it's price. 300 dollars, but people may not care. It's honestly something I can't take sides on, and I'm a Nintendo junkie.

*stops rant before I go insane*
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:54 pm

Are you serious? Is it really $300?!? I thought it was only $150. For that price, one can buy 2 brand new PS2s!

I'm gonna have to go with nay. $300 is way too much for a thing that has lesser graphics than the PS2. I'm sticking with my GameBoy.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:16 am

Holding off.

Too expensive and no must have games at the moment.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:22 am

Also holding off. Sony's history of poorly built systems for launches kinda turns me away especially after all the shit I went through with my (launch date purchased) PS2. Hell, there's already been many reports of dead pixels on the screen, and that Sony is not yet recognizing this as a problem, saying something along the lines of it's common for those type of screens to have a couple dead pixels. I say if I plunk down the $250 for a system, it damn well better be perfect. If they would focus more on making a great gaming system and not an entire multimedia powerhouse, they would do much better because (a) there's a less likely chance of something screwing up and if something came up it'd be much easier to fix, and (b) they could easily knock off at least $50 off the price to make it more affordable thus selling more units.

I guess I could also say that there's no must-have games for me either, but in the same respect that's never really mattered much to me. There's a handful of games I know I'd enjoy and I won't use that reason as to not buying one. I've played it, very well put together system for the most part, and decent battery life from what my co-worker told me. Then for me at least, I'm trying to buy a car before shinys, but there's shinys I want before the PSP (satellite radio *_* ). I'll be picking one up somewhere down the line, but I have no driving force telling me to get one, at least not until FF7 is rereleased on the system. Once that's out, I'm buying the system if I don't already have it.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:41 am

one thing I like about Nintendo is they build their systems well, but they can't market worth their life anymore. :cry:

at least with the PSP it has more games out then the DS...
-Adam Picard-

Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:19 am

Eh, quality over quantity is what I always say, and has always been Nintendo's take on things too historically. More games doesn't always mean better, and DS has a lot of good games coming out in the next few months. This should be a good battle and I shall enjoy it.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Pipestrell
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Pipestrell » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:50 pm

Apparantly the eject it strong enough to fire out cds at people.
What more can you ask of a handheld? :lol:
Rosencrantz: Do you think death could be a boat?
Guildenstern: No; Death is not, it isn’t. Death is the ultimate negative; not being. You can’t not be on a boat.
Rosencrantz: I’ve frequently not been on boats.
Guildenstern: No; what you’ve been, is not on boats.

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:30 pm

I'll definentally pass. I'm not going to spend $250 on a portable gaming system. I was reluctant to spend $100 on the Game Boy SP, and I had games that I could use in it already.

That, and like Dan said, they are having problems with the pixels in the screen. I'll hold out and save up to buy a PS2 before I buy a PSP. (By the time I get around to it, it might be a PS3...)
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:29 am

I'm passing this by. Any portable video game system where you need a memory card to save sounds like absolute bullshit.

Not like I'm defending the Nintendo DS either, though. There's not a single game released in America I want to play that isn't about Wario.

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:08 pm

I have to pass on this one too I rather spend $300 of clothes then a system that would brake later.
Last edited by mizangelamy on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
James and I are happily waiting to see our first born son on April 22, 2009!
Mrs. Green is happily married to her airman since May 10, 2008
"Gee, I never thought I had an effect on people until I was in Korea."~ Marilyn Monroe ~
"Not knowing of the dawn, not seeing the coming night, only my garnet eye crosses time, and I think of the people I love."~ Garnet Guardian from SM Memorial Song Box ~
"...the secret song of love is locked deep in my heart."~ Secret from SM Memorial Song Box ~

MySpace= add me!

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:24 pm

I honestly think this system is overrated. I will admit that I've never played it myself, but they say that PSP can play movies, but you have to buy them seperately, discs designed specifically for the PSP. I think it's a waste of money. Why would I want to buy the same movies again? The anime titles I enjoy probably won't be available for the system. If regular DVDs could play on the system, Sony would probably make more money.

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:08 pm

I agree with you totally RT. Let's see, buy a movie that can only be played on the PSP with a screen just a few inches big or buy a movie that I can play in a computer, DVD player, PS2 and an Xbox which have screens that are much bigger? I think the answer is simple. Even if a regular DVD could be played in it, I still wouldn't buy it. $300 for a handheld? I can buy two PS2's for that.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

SailorSpace
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorSpace » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:29 pm

I think I would rather hold off on the PSP for the follwoing reasons:

1.) I never have cared for portable game systems. They tend to break easier, plus having to change the batteries in it just to play it gets really annoying aftera while.

2.) Too expensive. No one in my family would be able to afford it, because we already have enough of a hard time getting the bills payed as it is.

Although the features on it, like being able to play music on it, may seem cool, I would still wanna hold off. If I wanted portable music, I could probably buy an iPod or another CD player for MUCH cheaper prices.
"Miko Miko Nurse"
Madamada iku yo!!
Miko miko nurse! Miko miko nurse!
namamugi namagome miko miko nurse!!
Kaerue pyoko pyoko miko miko nurse!!
Miko miko nurse! Miko moko nurse!
Sexual violet miko miko nurse!!
Soul train miko miko nurse!!
Anesan rokkaku miko miko nurse!!
Riichi ippatsu miko miko nurse!
Saigo ni mou icchou! HAI!!
Miko miko nurse!!

Oh my god.

That's so incredibly fucked up and so incredibly cute all at the same time.-Tiff-Chan

Seeking a band.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:04 pm

The system looks amazing, it really does. However, I'm in no rush to buy one. Going off a college student's income, it isn't quite feasible at the moment. I have my GBA. I use it when I (very seldom nowadays) travel. When I want to play games, I play my PS2 or my Xbox.

So, unless they have a game that comes out that really changes my mind, I'll stick with what I've got.

Same goes for the DS.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:28 am

I'm definitely holding off on this. Too expensive for a poor college student and like MarioKnight said, Sony has a bad rep for problems with the systems they release in their launches.

Also, there really isn't anything I want to play on it yet. So until a must-have game comes out on it, I'm just gonna hold off.
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:51 pm

Kameko wrote:I agree with you totally RT. Let's see, buy a movie that can only be played on the PSP with a screen just a few inches big or buy a movie that I can play in a computer, DVD player, PS2 and an Xbox which have screens that are much bigger? I think the answer is simple. Even if a regular DVD could be played in it, I still wouldn't buy it. $300 for a handheld? I can buy two PS2's for that.
I also agree with you on that.

Besides who would want to watch movies on a PSP? If I want to watch movies on the go, I'd use my laptop, or I get a portable DVD player.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by yoshmaster5 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:57 pm

DuoTheShinigami02 wrote:
Kameko wrote:I agree with you totally RT. Let's see, buy a movie that can only be played on the PSP with a screen just a few inches big or buy a movie that I can play in a computer, DVD player, PS2 and an Xbox which have screens that are much bigger? I think the answer is simple. Even if a regular DVD could be played in it, I still wouldn't buy it. $300 for a handheld? I can buy two PS2's for that.
I also agree with you on that.

Besides who would want to watch movies on a PSP? If I want to watch movies on the go, I'd use my laptop, or I get a portable DVD player.
That's something my sister was raving about. And how Nintendo is horrid because they didn't include a DVD player on their handheld. Honestly, you need to buy SEPERATE DISCS for the movies. and there is another thing she doesn't realize this. Since ALL her friends have more money than my family does, and all of them have a ton of stuff *her friend Brent has a freaking SWIMMING POOL INSIDE, a DIFFERENT CAR FOR EVERY SEASON, etc..., Honestly, I have a portable DVD player for the car, which is about 5-7 inches, and it's only 150. And it only does one thing, thats one thing that bothers me about other systems. if you have a DVD player on it, you go on a movie-spree while your rentals catch dust.
-Adam Picard-

-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:50 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:Holding off.

Too expensive and no must have games at the moment.
Okay, so I waffled. I figured it would be a good thing to waste some of my Tax refund on.

I ordered through Walmart since it's the only one I could customize my order through. (So I wouldn't have to get a game I wanted along with one I didn't.) Got Lumines and NFSU with it, expensive as Hell though...

And I'm still waiting for them to ship the system itself, got the rest of the package, just not the PSP.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Mon May 23, 2005 9:10 pm

Update...

Got it last week, the thing ROCKS!!!

Wow, just wow. That's all I can say. This thing will make you forget about the GBA and the DS, it's that much more superior, well worth the extra greenage.

Excuse me... the Aensland "sisters" beckon...