Worst game purchases ever

Video games and anime sometimes tie in with each other, plus video games kick ass. =P Discuss them here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:56 pm

Tetris Worlds.

DEAR. GOD.

I seriously didn't kno wit was possible to MESS UP Tetris. It's such a simple, basic, enjoyable game. How the FUCK do you mess it up?

This game managed to.

Not only did they completely fuck up the game itself, but they added some lame plot about space and Tetrions and planets that need to be pure again by "opening the gate" (aka: playing Tetris).

There's ZERO challenge, becuase when the blocks get to the bottom, YOU CAN STILL MOVE THEM TO WHERE YOU WANT THEM TO GO.

Derek and I love Tetris, and we saw this for 15 bucks, so grabbed it, thinking it was simply Tetris for PS2.

Uh. No. If you love Tetris, DON'T get this game. This sucker's going back to wal-mart tomorrow.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:17 pm

A few months ago I saw Adventure of Link on sale for about ten dollars (it was the GBA Classic NES series). I didn't like the game much as a kid, but I thought "It's only ten dollars, and I was nine when I last played it. What does a nine year old know? :roll: "

It was worse than I remembered, and I couldn't even return it, because it I didn't buy it at a local store, (assuming that I could return an opened, used game in the first place.)

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:11 am

I regret buying Mario Party 4.

Worst mingames, worst plot, worse boards.

Only thing that kept was those damned presents.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:57 am

Alexclow345 wrote:I regret buying Mario Party 4.

Worst mingames, worst plot, worse boards.

Only thing that kept was those damned presents.
Isn't that like... all Mario Parties? =P

j/k

(though I never will understand the need to make like 8+ games of that... one was enough. Then again, I hate minigames in just about anything so an entire game of them isn't exactly something I'm excited about.)
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sat May 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Pokemon Stadium for me. This game single handedly ruined Pokemon for me.

Unfortunatly I have to put breath of fire II in this list. The game had an awesome story, but the battles were way unbalanced and this ruined the game for me.

YorikoAnno
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by YorikoAnno » Thu May 18, 2006 12:12 am

I'm going to have to say that the worst purchase I have ever made would be Final Fantasy X-2. Bad storyline, irritating characters, terrible dialogue, forgettable music. I just didn't like it at all, the only redeeming feature it had was the Sphere Break minigame in my opinion.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu May 18, 2006 9:05 am

YorikoAnno wrote:I'm going to have to say that the worst purchase I have ever made would be Final Fantasy X-2. Bad storyline, irritating characters, terrible dialogue, forgettable music. I just didn't like it at all, the only redeeming feature it had was the Sphere Break minigame in my opinion.
THANK YOU!!!!

I thought I was the only one in the world that didnt like FFX-2

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Sat May 03, 2008 12:13 am

Yup, I have one. I'm just thankful I got it used for about $8, instead of paying full-price for it.

Musashi: Samurai Legend/Samurai Legend Musashi (I'm never quite sure which way to read it, so I think of it both ways).

I thought it would be a fun little action/RPG title. Boy, was I ever wrong! The graphics are nice, but the camera angles make me want to bash my head against the wall, Musashi's voice sounds like a chick trying to sound like a teenage boy (well, that part's true. His VA was a woman), and the whole thing of carrying the different maidens around for the rest of the levels after rescuing them got old very fast.

Not to mention, my copy of the game seems to be scratched badly enough to affect gameplay from time to time. Go figure.

All in all, a very disappointing title from SquareEnix. I had really hoped for a lot better. :(

Another SquareEnix title that was loaned to me, but that bored me pretty quick? Radiata Stories. it's a real shame, too. That was one I really wanted to like.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sun May 11, 2008 9:00 am

Trapt. I read up on it a while back so I was overjoyed when I saw it in my local game shop. Big mistake. The pre-final battle is ridiculously hard, I still haven't finished the game, each level is repetitive, except for a different arena and if it wasn't for my sheer determination to finish the game, I wouldn't have played it for so long.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Fri May 23, 2008 12:41 pm

The absolute worse game I ever played was Mystery Quest for NES.
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Alundra 2.
Worst game EVER, I played for 30 minutes, threw it in the corner and never picked it up again.
And when I was young, I bought crap games like Bubsy and Cool Spot and some Power Rangers game. What was I thinking? :lol:

Elanorea
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Elanorea » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:42 pm

Lord of the Rings Online. I spend the better part of two days installing and uploading, only to open up the game and find a cheap World of Warcraft ripoff with nigh-uncontrollable movement, not to mention it made my computer run slower than a dying snail. I played for half an hour, then uninstalled.

kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by kingofgames » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:55 pm

I only have one
Need for Speed: Pro Street for wii

I was hoping that it would be something similar to Carbon, so I decided to buy it.

When I played it, It was completely different.
Controls made no sense
Graphics look like something that of 1997
Story mode was non-existence
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:45 pm

I would have to say the Sonic Mega Collection for Gamecube. I cannot stand those older games where you just see how far you can get before you die and start over (although I think maybe 1 or 2 of the games had a save feature).

Another bad purchase I was thinking of was Pokémon Colloseum, but actually that's only half true, because I simply loved the story mode, but the multiplayer was god awful. I don't see why you can't just use multiple Gamecube controllers and choose from a list of Pokémon that are all about the same level. Noooooo, they have to make it so that the second player has to use a GameBoy and as it usually ends up, the ones on the GameBoy are hella stronger than the ones on the actual game. I recall hearing that the most recent Pokémon game like this was the same way, which I find stupid (unless I heard wrong).

And last but not least is the computer game, The 3D Adventures of Sailor Moon. It's not an adventure in any way, shape, or form. It's just a bunch of different mini activities like dress-up or character info. The only part I enjoyed was watching the videos of each character and the Crescent Wand shooting thing. At least it was cheep since I got it at a garage sale.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:03 am

Probably some of the namco or pac-man GBA collections my parents have gotten me over time...

TWO, yes, Two Namco museums
Pac-Man collection, when I have the good games already
Another old arcade game collection that never interested me.

I've honestly stopped trusting my parent's judgement about video games. They dont' really know what I like, and they seem to think that I just want to spend their money when I'm saying to get _____ game for my cousins for their birthday.

For instance...
Me: Get him FFVI Advance, okay?
Parents: No, it's 30 dollars. Let's get him this Need for Speed game that's 25 instead.
Me: ...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:15 am

Thunderbirds for the PS2.

First off, you start as Thunderbird 1 (the only Thunderbird shown actually launching). As Scott, you arrive in the scene, land (somehow ignoring the VTOL capability) and rescue survivors. Never mind that Thunderbird 1's space is actually pretty cramped.

Then, you change over to Thunderbird 2. As Virgil, you use a grappling hook to lift stuff out of harm's way.

Then, if the game requires Thunderbird 3, you do not return to Tracy Island and expect Alan to leave through the roundhouse. Instead, you land Thunderbird 1 again (conveniently ignoring that Thunderbird 2 has VTOL capability), right next to where TB3 just happens to be (ignoring the question of why the hell Alan isn't on the sofa at Tracy Island). Then you play Asteroids. I'm not making that up.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:21 am

Leaderboard Golf. Ok, so I myself didn't buy this game, but I have had the pleasure of playing it. Once you get the hang of swinging the club it's pretty fun to play. Until you come up against the ever changing wind system.

In the top right hand corner there's a yellow arrow which tells you the diretion in which the wind is blowing. Seems simple enough right? WRONG! It could be pointing straight ahead yet send the ball to the far left. It could also be pointing straight ahead and send the ball straight ahead. You never know where the ball will go because the wind is so inconsistent.

To put it simply, this game is a piece of shit and should burn in the fires of hell.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!