Anime that you gave up on..

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Hero of the Day
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Hero of the Day » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:31 pm

Pokemon: It was fun at first until they went overboard and made like 20 thousand Pokemon.

Dragon Ball Z: It seemed really cool and alot of kids in school liked it so I figured I`d watched it, but it seems poorly dubbed and the characters look badly drawn.

*Eternal Moon*
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by *Eternal Moon* » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:17 am

I gave up on Hamtaro. Don't get me wrong, it's a cute show and everything but it just started to bore me. How exciting can a show get about a bunch of hamsters?

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:53 pm

I recently tried to get into Naruto mainly because my boyfriend loves it so much, so I though I'd check it out. I've watched the first sixteen episodes, and I really can't get into it. Half the time I find myself zoning out during the battles and when something happends, I have to rewind to see what it actually was. The last episode I watched ended on a cliff hanger and I really don't care to see what happends.

I can't really get into the characters either. Naruto could have been interesting, but he just annoys me most of the time. Sakura is just another useless female character but worse as she just stands around and watches Naruto and Sasuke fight. She could at least get herself beat up once and a while. Kakeshi is just not interesting, and Sasuke, well he's kind of cool, but just about every anime has a character just like him.

Maybe it's gets better later on, but I really don't have time to sit through the episodes to get to that point as I already don't have much time to watch the things that I do want to watch.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Naruto-I really tried to like it watching the first two episodes and a few down the road but it's so boring and the characters get on my nerves. How is this show so damn popular on Cartoon Network especially with that kids dub voice? I rather listen to Terri Hawkes,and the two VA's for Amy any day than listen to that kids voice. And I'm still trying to figure out if this show actually has a plot

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:23 am

I also gave up on naruto and I have two major reasons

1. the concept wasnt good when it was dragon ball z
and
2. I never could get past the idea of ninja's wearing bright colors. Im wondering if they understand exactly what a ninja is in that show sometimes.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

bushinoki
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by bushinoki » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 am

Let's see, Naruto, by default, I've seen enough Ninja Anime of different kinds to know when a creator has gone off the deep end.

Evangelion, same reason as above, after so many Mecha Anime, especially ones that make me want to own a giant robot myself, it just didn't do it for me.

InuYasha, same reason as everyone else. Naraku should have died a long time ago. I hear that in the Manga, he's STILL alive. You just can't have the same main nemesis for that long.

Tenchi Muyo, I don't go for harem anime. Not that type of guy, really don't want a bunch of women falling all over me. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want the same thing with men if I were gay. Ai Yori Aoishi as well, first few episodes were cool, but when it started turning harem, I lost all interest.

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:54 pm

FLCL: It just felt like another fan service anime instead of something enjoyable (in my eyes).

Elfen Lied: I like violence and I like gore, but that was a little too much for my tastes. Everything just felt unwarranted for the few episodes that I watched. Also, I really didn't need to see her naked every few shots.

Kenshin: I stopped watching it because I started reading the manga :lol:

Samurai Champaloo: There's not much to say about it except it just didn't hold my interest at the time. Maybe I'll pick it up again and focus solely on it. It was the same thing with Coyote Ragtime Show.....I might have to pick that one back up again later as well but I just couldn't get into it.
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:29 pm

Tokyo Mew Mew: I've tried, honest to God have I tried but nothing could make this show original! I have only made it through the first 3 episodes. It's too similar to sailor moon. Instead of being named after Roman gods/Godesses, they are named after food-that's about as original as it gets. That knight guy that appears midway through is just like Tuxedo mask!
Ichigo/Mint always fight a lot but are friends=Usagi/rei
Zakuro is a tough girl but also feminine=Makoto
Lettuce is very shy but kind=Ami
Pudding is very hyperactive and sporty=Minako
And even Kisshu acts like Dimande (Sp) when he forces a kiss on Ichigo.
Also, what kind of name is lettuce for a kid?
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

supersailorearth
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by supersailorearth » Wed May 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:Tokyo Mew Mew: I've tried, honest to God have I tried but nothing could make this show original! I have only made it through the first 3 episodes. It's too similar to sailor moon. Instead of being named after Roman gods/Godesses, they are named after food-that's about as original as it gets. That knight guy that appears midway through is just like Tuxedo mask!
Ichigo/Mint always fight a lot but are friends=Usagi/rei
Zakuro is a tough girl but also feminine=Makoto
Lettuce is very shy but kind=Ami
Pudding is very hyperactive and sporty=Minako
And even Kisshu acts like Dimande (Sp) when he forces a kiss on Ichigo.
Also, what kind of name is lettuce for a kid?
me too! i made it far into the series in one day but it felt like almost all the episodes were filler even if they werent... though i may pick it up again later after i finish Full Moon wo Sagashite... which im currently addicted to even though i'm on episode 21 and there still seems to be no major antagonists yet...

rrs
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by rrs » Thu May 22, 2008 12:51 am

To date myself

First: Astro Boy (the Original black and white) Most likely do to the over edited version for United States Television.

Second: The novelization of Robo Tech: Can get past first book. Don’t know why.

Third: The re-dubbing of Battle of the Planets that was renamed G-Force. Turner ruined it by dumbing it down in the re-dub

Forth: Any anime series where a United States Television networks cannot decide on a time slot. It is like they that can start a series but can never finish it. Pandering too much on ratings, losing ratings do to bad editing jobs to cause bad ratings. Which is do to the fact of the United States views on animation (the Media view). Good animation is just not for 7 year olds. Japan has proved that.

Lightweight
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Lightweight » Sat May 31, 2008 4:32 pm

Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z go without saying. Pokemon just ran for too long with too few interesting plot points, and DBZ got boring for me.

Recently, I'm on the verge of dropping Blassreiter. You see, there's drama, and I like drama, but...

[spoiler]When 3 bullies drive a kid to suicide, make the kid's family suffer so much, and enjoy every single moment of it, even going so far as to threaten the kid's friend saying "you're next", it makes it so hard to watch it's a wonder I actually finished watching the damn episode![/spoiler]
Now listening to: Gorillaz: El Mañana

"You can teach an old dog new tricks... but you cannot teach Madonna to act."
-Yakko Warner

Officially finished watching all Sailor Moon episodes as of April 19, 2008!!!

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Sat May 31, 2008 9:06 pm

I gave up on the second season of Magic Knight Rayearth. Giant battle robots ain't my thing.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:06 pm

Bleach: this was intersting until Rukia got captured and then every body went to save her. It just became like every other shonen anime I've seen, it's all about the power ups and making the sword bigger and stronger. I could easily replace the main characters with any other character(s) from any shonen anime and it would be basically the same. What a waste and completely over rated.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:30 am

Tenchi Muyo OVA 3. I watched it to the end just for the sake of finishing the series but I gave up on it after episode two. Let me talk you through the plot of OVA 1:
Tenchi meets a number of beautiful girls, most of whom have the hots for him.
And now OVA 3:
The original girls are pushed into the background and a new set of girls take their place.
It got ridiculous, especially considering the emphasis on TenchixRyoko and TenchixAyeka in the first two OVAs and how they suddenly become background characters.

I was also a little peeved at how Tenchi never picked a girl. I always wanted him and Ryoko to get together but in the final episode he was STILL single. It's not like the creator would have received hate mail for it I mean other harem animes have done it, just look at Love Hina and the final episode of Ouran High school host club.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:13 am

Ranma 1/2: I ended up watching most of the series, but near the end I took a long break, and when I tried to come back to it and just could because I realize how old the jokes had becomes.

Fushigi Yugi: Another series that I got most of the way through but just could not finish. My desire to strangle Miaka just got to strong, and I was just bored of it.

Witch Hunter Robin: Saw about 3 episodes of this and just could not get into it.

Excel Sage: I like it at first, but at some point it started to make my brain hurt and the last thing I need was one more things to feed my Advil addiction.
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

demoneyeskyo87
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by demoneyeskyo87 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:39 pm

Gundam 00 - I thought this could be as good as Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed but it didn't had that spark that I loved for so long from a Gundam Series.

Kanazuki no Miko - Hmmm....I blame the fact that as soon as 4 episodes, it just putted me to sleep.

Fate/Stay Night - Same as Kanazuki but only one episode bored me to tears.
Last edited by demoneyeskyo87 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:39 pm

Trinity Blood: other than the animation being eye candy and it involving vampires I thought this anime was weak compared to other vampire animes that I've seen. I liked Able though, but the anime just seemed like alot of politics.

Death Note: For some reason this anime just didn't grab me.

Earth Girl: I didn't even get past the first dvd in this series. The animation style irked me and I didn't like how the poor girl was getting put down in almost every thing she did.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

demoneyeskyo87
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by demoneyeskyo87 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:59 pm

I'm loosing hope on Bleach because sure it was getting good then all of a sudden:

[spoiler]after the battle with Grimmjow and Ichigo in Hueco Mundo, we are faced with a filler which takes places supposedly AFTER Hueco Mundo in which we are faced with new captain Shusuke Amagai and a bunch of pointless filler characters! I mean, how do we know how the Manga will end and how each of the main characters survived or Aizen gets defeated.[/spoiler]

After that, I've lost all hope that I am not sure if I am watching it again, but who knows since the temptation will grow on me again to watch the series.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:44 am

demoneyeskyo87 wrote:I'm loosing hope on Bleach because sure it was getting good then all of a sudden:

[spoiler]after the battle with Grimmjow and Ichigo in Hueco Mundo, we are faced with a filler which takes places supposedly AFTER Hueco Mundo in which we are faced with new captain Shusuke Amagai and a bunch of pointless filler characters! I mean, how do we know how the Manga will end and how each of the main characters survived or Aizen gets defeated.[/spoiler]

After that, I've lost all hope that I am not sure if I am watching it again, but who knows since the temptation will grow on me again to watch the series.
[spoiler]I was pretty pissed when they first did that too, and it still annoys me to an extent even though they finally returned to where they never should've left. I thought that they were doing a side-arc of sorts with other events in Soul Society and then Ichigo and the gang are thrown in out of nowhere, and I'm just lost and pretty angry for months. I caught up with Japan's showings just weeks before the change so it sank in that much longer >.< However I started to try to watch it as if it were a movie side story and it helped make it more bearable. I'm not going to spoil the arc for you, but I will tell you that the action does pick up again and that it evolves into a pretty good story. I was getting into it at events progressed and was more than satisfied, so I feel you will be too.

This arc doesn't mention anything about what has happened in the main storylines of the series, nor do the movies, so thinking it as a little side-series is a good way to go through it. If I remember correctly they even added a subtitle to the show to signify it was separate from the main plot. Thankfully this arc has ended and provided enough time for Tite Kubo to get far ahead in the manga again and we finally returned to Huecdo Mundo just a few weeks ago. Since you seem to have access to those episodes, at least you can zoom through the filler arc and then join me for the agony of waiting each week for more awesomeness in the main story. You won't be disappointed.[/spoiler]
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:09 pm

I gave on both Pokemon and Yugioh(Only the pokemon anime, not that the video games).

Pokemon: they replaced may with misty.

yugioh: got really boring.