Anime Characters w/ Accents in the Dubs

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:09 pm

In Kekko Kamen, the Nazi S & M Queen Gestapoko is given a German accent. It's pretty funny to listen to, although I prefer the original seiyuu.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:44 am

Tiff wrote:I happened to catch the tail end of Yu-Gi-Oh! while waiting for Friends to come on...and there was this brown-haired character, a villian, who had the strangest accent...It was British, but almost a Cockney (sp?) british..like Eliza Doolittle from My Fair Lady. I've never, ever heard that sort of a British accent on an anime character.
I believe you're talking about Valon/Varon, and I was of the belief that it was an Austrailian accent oO At any rate, I agree with your assessment; it just sounded too fake to be taken seriously.

Another character that comes to mind with a distinct "accent" is Sanji in One Piece. I don't even know WHERE he's supposed to be from, that's how bad his "accent" is. Many people in the OP fandom would have thought he'd be given a cruddy french accent - he's a lanky, suave, chain-smoking chef in the original - but 4Kids decided to give him something far different, and very, very terrible ><
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:00 am

Starscream wrote: Another character that comes to mind with a distinct "accent" is Sanji in One Piece. I don't even know WHERE he's supposed to be from, that's how bad his "accent" is. Many people in the OP fandom would have thought he'd be given a cruddy french accent - he's a lanky, suave, chain-smoking chef in the original - but 4Kids decided to give him something far different, and very, very terrible ><
Yeah, I heard about that. Some guys over at Toonzone thought he sounded like Dr. Girlfriend (Venture Bros.) O.O;;

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:20 pm

Starscream wrote:
Tiff wrote:I happened to catch the tail end of Yu-Gi-Oh! while waiting for Friends to come on...and there was this brown-haired character, a villian, who had the strangest accent...It was British, but almost a Cockney (sp?) british..like Eliza Doolittle from My Fair Lady. I've never, ever heard that sort of a British accent on an anime character.
I believe you're talking about Valon/Varon, and I was of the belief that it was an Austrailian accent oO At any rate, I agree with your assessment; it just sounded too fake to be taken seriously.
Exactly. This accent was just SO overdone...it was awful. It was like they were MOCKING the character moreso than actually dubbing his voice.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:27 pm

I think characterization in dubs should be done more with speaking mannerisms, tone, and attitude, rather than full blown accents. Accents are an indication of geographical location. Someone with a British accent would most likely be from England, thus, giving a lunar cat that lives in Japan a British accent does not make sense.

Speaking mannerisms are more personal. Some people talk fast, some don't. Some people pause their speech a lot, some don't. Most people have words they use more often than others, or even a certain way of sighing that make them stand out from other people. Tone, volume and attitude are also pivotal traits.

It would be very easy to pull of good characterization in dubs, if the dubbers and voice actors would take the time to become familiar with the character. Instead, they just slap on an out of place accent and call it a day.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Pipestrell
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Pipestrell » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:15 pm

Starscream wrote:

Another character that comes to mind with a distinct "accent" is Sanji in One Piece. I don't even know WHERE he's supposed to be from, that's how bad his "accent" is. Many people in the OP fandom would have thought he'd be given a cruddy french accent - he's a lanky, suave, chain-smoking chef in the original - but 4Kids decided to give him something far different, and very, very terrible ><
*Dons English Language student hat* It's not surprising for Australian to be mistaken for Cockney, as the majority of the criminals who were sent there when it was a penal colony had a Cockney accent. This is also the reason why words such as 'mate', 'crikey' and 'tucker' and prevalent in the lexis.

Everyone has an accent though (whether they admit it or not) but it is forced accents and adopted lexis, which make so many dubs unbearable. As professional actors, the VAs should be capable to speaking in a manner, which is mutably intelligible to most dialects of English. It is common practise in many films nowadays that if an actor cannot convincingly portray the desired accent, then they do not try to adopt one and suspension of disbelief takes care of the rest.

My main gripe with dubs is the excessive use of non-standard English. Not only does this mean that the dubs quickly become dated, but many viewers will not have heard that particular expression before or it could mean something different to their ears. (I was appalled when I heard Uranus call Sailor Moon 'spastic', since that word is 100% unacceptable as and insult here. Cuts were made to the DVD commentary on Angelic Layer because the commentators used it.)

*Removes hat*
Rosencrantz: Do you think death could be a boat?
Guildenstern: No; Death is not, it isn’t. Death is the ultimate negative; not being. You can’t not be on a boat.
Rosencrantz: I’ve frequently not been on boats.
Guildenstern: No; what you’ve been, is not on boats.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:09 pm

Two others I found:
-Puni Puni Poemi's Mutsumi got a Brooklynese accent in the dub, which was about the only thing that I liked about that dub (I can read the subtitles in Poemi better than hearing it spoken in English, and I like Poemi's Japanese voice better than her English voice).
-Earth Defense Force Mao-chan's Sylvia was given an English accent in the dub. I heard a clip of her talking and now I not only want that anime for its cute silliness factor, but also to hear the dub track. (she had an Osaka accent in the original) From what I hear about her personality, it sounds like a wonderfully unstereotypical choice.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:22 am

Yoroiden Samurai Troopers aka Ronin Warriors aka one of my favorite anime and most hated dubs had a number of them, and although they kept the plot a lot more intact than many other dubs have, most of the dialog and acting was just intolerable... as were the weird accents.

Shin-chan/Cye: had some sort of a New Zealand or Australian or English type accent (to me it sounded like a weird mix of all of the above), and although his dub actor is actually pretty good, I have no idea why the heck they chose to make him have an accent.

Ryo: It wasn't really an accent I guess, but his dub voice gave him that stereotypical "surfer dude" tone of speaking... x_x Ryo is DEFINITELY not a surfer dude and it really didn't fit his character at all.

Touma/Rowen: New York City/Long Island sounding accent. Why?

Talpa: O_O Totally had an Irish accent. Another "what the s**t"?

A couple of the other villans had some too that I cannot remember right now.

-_-;; I cannot watch that dub, period. Could pretty much use the S.D.A. boxes in SMU comparisons for almost every line in it. ^^;; Love the original though and recommend it.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:28 pm

Sylphiel wrote:
Ryo: It wasn't really an accent I guess, but his dub voice gave him that stereotypical "surfer dude" tone of speaking... x_x Ryo is DEFINITELY not a surfer dude and it really didn't fit his character at all.
I think that really just Matt Hill's voice, as I've heard his characters described as having a "surfer dude" voice quite often. He's also Kero in Cardcaptors, Kira Yamato in Gundam Seed, and Bankotsu in Inuyasha, among others.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:37 pm

EmperorBrandon wrote:
Sylphiel wrote: I think that really just Matt Hill's voice, as I've heard his characters described as having a "surfer dude" voice quite often. He's also Kero in Cardcaptors, Kira Yamato in Gundam Seed, and Bankotsu in Inuyasha, among others.
It is. He has such a bad surfer dude voice, but I have to say he does some good voices outside of anime. (like Ed from Ed, Edd N Eddy)

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:20 am

In Transformers Cybertron (the dub for Transformers Galaxy Force), the characters Red Alert and Jetfire are given rather horrid Cockney/Australian voices (after Pipestrell's posts, I'm just not sure which they're trying to emulate =P). This, however, is an odd choice, as they're using VAs different for the ones used for these characters' voices from Armada and Energon.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:18 pm

EmperorBrandon wrote:I think that really just Matt Hill's voice, as I've heard his characters described as having a "surfer dude" voice quite often. He's also Kero in Cardcaptors
*has never even attempted to watch the CCS dub*

He played KERO?!? WTF??? o_____O;;

*tries to imagine Ryo's voice coming from Kero-chan and passes out*
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:07 pm

Sylphiel wrote:
*has never even attempted to watch the CCS dub*

He played KERO?!? WTF??? o_____O;;

*tries to imagine Ryo's voice coming from Kero-chan and passes out*
the CCS dub voices are horrid...sov ery horrid.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:26 am

I generally dislike most anime dubs by Foxkids. But I do like Joey's voice quite a bit. I didn't at first but it grew on me. Although I find most of the voices in the Yu-GI-Oh dub cringe worthy

I was watching the dub of of Vampire Hunter D (the first movie) and the female vampire in it had the most annoying stero-typical transivannia accent. Ugh it bothered me to no end.

Chad from Sailor Moon had a bad Rock Star/ Surfer boy accent that I wasn't to fond of.

And there are some times they give Serena from Sailor Moon a valley girl accent spattering her dialougue with "as if" and what not.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:20 pm

Nene from Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 has a slightly annoying voice however I quite like it at the same time. It isn't really about the accent but more of how she changes her tone of voice from low to very high pitched to low again.

Tokyo Mew Mew (well, Mew Mew Power :shock: ) Most of the girls had the stereotypical valley girl accents. The very high and annoying ones with added slang.

As for Ayeka, I quite like her DUB voice. She was supposed to be a snotty, arrogant princess which is what she came across as.

Haruka_Michiru
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Haruka_Michiru » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:41 am

I like Molly's Brooklyn accent,and Luna's is alright,though I do wonder why they gave her that kind of voice. I didn't notice any accent in Catsy's voice;it sounds normal to me. Meowth's Brooklyn accent and Bijou's French accent are really nice,too.

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:11 pm

Ni-ban Neko wrote:I really can't stand badly done Southern accents, and I've heard more of them in dubbed anime than I have anywhere else. The artist girl from Sailormoon is the worst example. Ugh.
I know I'm digging this one up, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. If they wanted, was her name Lori (?), to have a southern accent that's fine and dandy, but they could have at least gotten someone to do a good job. Just because you hold out your vowel sounds doesn't necessarily mean that it's a southern accent (this coming from someone who has one--and bows to all fans in the south)!!

Another example: Tae, the waitress from Rurouni Kenshin. Why, oh why did they give her a southern accent???? This baffles me!! Is it because she's a "waitress" and so called waitresses should have bad southern accents? Or maybe the fact that southern accents were the popular speech during the Meiji Era in Japan?? Hmmmm.

It gives me a headache and makes my ears bleed.
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!

bushinoki
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by bushinoki » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:35 pm

For me, the biggest pet peeve is when the accent is forced. As an amateur linguist now, and soon to be professional linguist, I can tell. I've been studying languages since I was about 6 or 7. When the story line takes place in a major city, I can understand giving characters different accents, as that will be the case in most US cities, but they should be well done.

Accents that don't fit the character at all are a pet peeve. Luna's High British accent in the dub is an excellent example. I was remember watching some of the SuperS episodes dubbed, and I couldn't help but expect Luna at some point to turn to Serena and say "You are the weakest link, Goodbye!" It's one thing to represent a diversity of speaking styles when dealing with a big city, because that will be the case, but to go that far out is out of the question.

As a native Californian, I hate valley girl accents with a passion. The sound of one makes me want to punch babies (Just an expression, don't worry about me actually doing it). A valley girl accent is as forced as they come. And to give your super heroine(s) one when they carry the weight of the world on their shoulders is as bad as it gets. As for the bad slang, it would be late 80s/very early 90s slang they gave the girls in SM. I hate it with a passion now. We're talking predates Fresh Prince slang, and that's bad.

michikodesu, I also hate bad southern accents with a passion. I may not be from the south, but I've been there, and I serve with a lot of people who are southern. And to insult some of the friends I've made over the years with such bad accents is appalling to me.

As for saying the accent doesn't always fit the character, that's not always so. Being from cali, I can't help but use a little "surfer" slang now and then. And I'm considered to be a genius, with various test scores to prove it. But I am a Californian, and a Soldier, and so I use slang a lot. It's part of the culture I live in now/grew up in. Especially the Soldier slang. When talking to someone, I'll say "roger" or "roger that" to indicate I understand something, say "out" instead of a normal form of goodbye to end phone calls, and acronyms are a second language to me. I also typically give time in a 24 hr. format (1700 instead of 5 pm, zero-900 instead of 9 am, etc.). Oh, and I use "hoo-ah" alot as well. If you heard me talking for the first time, you would probably think I was the typical Soldier, and not one of the most intelligent people in the US. As for how that relates to the topic, if the character might be really smart, but has a laid back attitude, then the dubbed accent may actually fit the character.

The main thing is if the use of accents in a dub is to represent something that is cuturally different, and not a poor comedy gimick.

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:43 pm

why do people with a surfer accent or use surfer slang are considered to be dumb or stupid? I live on the east coast so you don't normally hear that sort of thing over here but there is this guy who is from California who is in one of my classes and he has a surfer guys persona. It's not over the top or in your face "whoa dudes" kind of surfer slang but it's there and so many people snicker and imitate him when he is in front of the class doing a presentation. But he is actually very articulate and his presentations are always very intelligent and well thought out and to my surprise he's a math major. When i was telling one of my friends about this she outright refused to believe that he was a math major because "surfer dudes" are to drugged and stupid to pursue anything except the beach, and thought that I was making it up. :roll:

Also about the waitress in Rurouni Kenshin with the southern accent, it might have been the dubbers attempt to capture a bit the original Japanese version of the waitresses character. In Japan much like the U.S Japanese has different regional accents depending on where you live just like we do. And people in Japan who live out in the country have a distinct way of speaking compared to people who don't. Mostly country folk in Japan tend to use alot of "jas" in their speech. Like "what" in Japanese is nani but some one with a country accent might say nani (what) like nan-ja. So maybe the waitress with the southern/country accent was just the dubbers trying to translate the waitress unique speaking pattern into the English version but just didn't translate well. And that is the problem with dubbing it's hard for some aspects to make the transition well from one language to another with out losing something.
[/img][/url]
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:39 pm

Passions55 wrote: Also about the waitress in Rurouni Kenshin with the southern accent, it might have been the dubbers attempt to capture a bit the original Japanese version of the waitresses character. In Japan much like the U.S Japanese has different regional accents depending on where you live just like we do. And people in Japan who live out in the country have a distinct way of speaking compared to people who don't. Mostly country folk in Japan tend to use alot of "jas" in their speech. Like "what" in Japanese is nani but some one with a country accent might say nani (what) like nan-ja. So maybe the waitress with the southern/country accent was just the dubbers trying to translate the waitress unique speaking pattern into the English version but just didn't translate well. And that is the problem with dubbing it's hard for some aspects to make the transition well from one language to another with out losing something.
[/img][/url]
That is true, but I wonder why the dubbers just couldn't leave it alone (especially since it was a very badly done accent). I mean, if it can't be done right, leave it alone IMO (and I think someone said the same thing earlier in the topic).

It also bugs me that if someone looks like they are from another country, then the dubbers want to give them an accent as well. Why? For instance, if a character looks like they are from India, they will receive the stereotypical accent. Once again, why? I have a few friends who are Indian, and speak their dialect with their parents, but have no trace of an accent when talking to American friends. That can go for anyone who is European, Asian, African, what have you.

And in most animes, even when a character looks truly foreign, they still speak the standard Japanese (unless they are making it comedic). From what I've noticed, they tend to lean heavily on the Kansai-ben. So, why can't everyone just be given your normal standard flat "American" accent? In most dubs they've taken out any other trace of another culture. Why thrown in something else like a painfully, bad accent?
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!