Death Note

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Death Note

Post by Rin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm suprised that I didn't find a topic for this anime/manga! (Unless I'm just retarded and missed it while searching)

Well I finally bought the first few volumes of the manga and watched a few anime episodes and I really like this series. At first I didn't want to watch/read it because it was so popular and it looked like an emo goth series. I was definently wrong.

The characters are very refreshing. I like how Light, who is practically a model student is the villian in the series and L, who looked like he would be the bad guy is actually the good guy. (Yeah I know that was worded awkwardly.) I also love the twisted relationships between the three main characters.

[spoiler]Light and Misa are L's first two friends, but they are also Kira 1 and Kira 2. It was also very creepy how Misa happily asked L to be her friend and the two seemed to be getting close while they were confined to L's building, then a few chapters later, after getting her memories back, Misa was determined to kill L after Light revealed Ryuuzaki's idenity as L. Her reason for going through with it was that Light asked her to kill L.[/spoiler]

The plot was also very refreshing. And it's nice that no one is safe in the series. Even popular characters will be killed off if the plot calls for it. It's also interesting that the series is being told from the villian's point of view.

Light's character is very well done. He starts out as the perfect model student but once he comes across the note book you can see him loose his sanity little by little. First he starts killing violent criminals and soon anyone that could possibly get in him way. The sad thing is, he truly believes that he is doing the right thing.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm so glad you made this topic! Death Note is my favorite anime and second favorite manga. I was into it before it became super popular, back when the anime was just coming out in Japan. I've seen all the original, all the english that's currently being aired, and own all the manga.
It's such a complex and twisted story that I just never get bored of it. L is my absolute favorite character ever (currently, he's my avatar) becuase he's just so out there. Light is incredibly complex (and just plain psycho) that I'm never bored seeing what he's doing next. Hell, I even love Misa, as annoying as she is. I'm also obssesed with L and Light's reltationship, both as enemies and something more than friends (ok, they're not canon, but they might as well be!). And Mello, Near, and Matt just make me melt.
Personally, I prefer the anime. It's almost the exact same as the manga, except for ep 25 (sobsobsob) and the ending, both of which are way more to my tastes in the anime.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:40 am

Oh yes, Light and L have the absolute most interesting relationship ever. ^_^

I also like Misa. Her obsession and love for Light is extremely creepy and it's scary how far she will go for him. It's also nice to have a character that isn't extremely serious. Misa brightens up this anime some what. ^_^

L is also my favorite character. He is so bizaar and I felt bad for him in some parts of the series even though I don't think that was the intention of the author.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/