Great Mangas (/Anime)

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

StarFlame Soldier
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Great Mangas (/Anime)

Post by StarFlame Soldier » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:50 pm

I'm currently obsessed with manga after just finishing all of Sailor V and Sailor Moon, and I'm now moving onto Full Metal Alchemist. I've watched most of the SM anime and half of FMA, but I want more. I want people to tell me about their favourite manga's, what they like about them etc. I may make a decision about what to read grom here (if all goes well). Feel free to comment on what poeple suggest (but please try to leave personal opinions alone). :wink:

Personally, I love Full Metal Alchemist because I can easily love the main characters Ed and, especially, Al, because it is slightly fantasy but is also down to earth with human emotions, consequences and the cold hard facts of life. This is great if you like psycological things, because some of the events just floored me and I was speechless.

Sailor V was good because it was before SM (at least at the beginning) and there were lots of cameos. The whole series was light hearted and funny, almost a little too much because there wan't much developement.

Sailor Moon is Sailor Moon, what can I say? The manga was a lot different to the anime (at least 'classic'). But it was GREAT! (I didn't like Tuxedo's attack though- it seemed childish, HORRIBLY named :x ).
Two wrongs don''t make a right, but three lefts do.

In Space, no-one can hear you scream. In Time, nobody listens

Smile for Saz!

sleep, Celeste

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:53 pm

First Question: How good is your connection speed?
Second Question: What kind of series are you looking for?

My basic anime rec.s--
My-HiME and My-ZHiME (a.k.a My-Otome)
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's
Kanon (2006 edition)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Rozen Maiden
Shuffle!
School Rumble

I'll think of more later.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:41 pm

My favorite is and always will be Sailor Moon. Right now I am enjoying NANA, I like anything that are older shojo series.
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:38 pm

You should try out Cutie Honey. It's a great 70's magical girl anime, which (IMO) heavily influenced Sailor Moon.

And try out the 1997 remake Cutey Honey Flash too. It's a shoujo remake of Cutie Honey, and most of the staff worked on Sailor Stars.

Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:53 pm

Oh my... the list is fairly long for manga:
1. xxxHolic- I have always liked very abstract plotlines, and the female lead (Ichihara Yuuko) is VERY easy to like. She[spoiler]is the type that will go from drunkard to wise-woman, to cutesy young girl, to mothering within pages. She's very entertaining, fleshed out, but still has the spice of mystery about her. ::whacks self for how corny that was::[/spoiler] Oh yeah, make some scans of the artwork in Holic, you won't be dissapointed.
2. Dragon Knights- Combination fantasy, comedy, drama and action. Great lead characters, great artwork (applies only to the first ten volumes; after that it gets progressively worse. -_-;;; ) 'Nuff said.
3. Fruits Basket- Very intense and dramatic but with it's fair share of funny moments as well. It's definitely not as lighthearted as it looks, and it can be hard keeping up with all the characters, but the characters are so defined and so real...It's all very well thought out and quite beautiful. The artwork can be QUITE a turnoff thoug. ^^;;
4. Yuyu Hakusho (the first 5 or so...until the Dark Tournament.)- Because before the Dark tournament came along, Yuyu Hakusho has a beautiful plot, that was very original. I wasn't so crazy about the characters by themselves, but together they MADE the story.

As for anime.... I haven't seen much...Sailormoon is probably the only thing where I've seen the anime but haven't read the manga. Usually it's just the opposite for me. [offtopic] If anyone knows where the hell to find non-Mixxified SM manga...I'd greatly appreciate it. ^^;;[/offtopic]
Congratulations to the lucky winners of the Winter banner contest!=D Better luck on Valentines day to those who weren''t so lucky! ^_~*

We walk in the garden of his turbulence!!! =D- Geoffery Chaucer, A Knights Tale

Nehelenia, one for all. -Teh sloganize website. XDD
(\__/)
(+"."+)
(")_(") Help Bunny gain world domination.

DragonMasterZero
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by DragonMasterZero » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:26 am

Anime Recs

Chrono Crusade (nuns with guns FTW)
Shakugan no Shana (any character that gets flaming wings is automatically awesome)
Ouran High School Host Club (fuggin Hilarious)
Mai Hime
Escaflowne
Evangelion
Last Exile
Favorite Senshi: Saturn and Jupiter
If I had a Henshin phrase it would be: Dragon Master Power! Armor Up!

A shrine without girls is like Miso Soup without the Miso - Grandpa Hino
The human body can be drained of blood in 8 seconds given adequate vaccuuming systems - River - Firefly

Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:05 pm

DragonMasterZero wrote:Anime Recs

Chrono Crusade (nuns with guns FTW)
Shakugan no Shana (any character that gets flaming wings is automatically awesome)
Ouran High School Host Club (fuggin Hilarious)
Mai Hime
Escaflowne
Evangelion
Last Exile
;_; You're unintentionally mean (jk). most of those that you've mentioned are ones that I've been trying to read but the bookstores I've gone to never carry the first volume. ;-; u_u Oh well, I'm glad someone here has now recommended them, that's a good sign. You have reminded me of another series of which I am obsessed with: ESCAFLOWNE! Gaaahhh, I just like it because of the pretty girls and the action scenes though. =^_^= The art is to die for. Sadly my mom won't let me get any further volumes of it because it's 16+. :cry:
Congratulations to the lucky winners of the Winter banner contest!=D Better luck on Valentines day to those who weren''t so lucky! ^_~*

We walk in the garden of his turbulence!!! =D- Geoffery Chaucer, A Knights Tale

Nehelenia, one for all. -Teh sloganize website. XDD
(\__/)
(+"."+)
(")_(") Help Bunny gain world domination.

Fruityla
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Fruityla » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:32 pm

Try finding a manga called Juline if you can. I haven't been able to find it in the bookstores by me, however. Then again, the Internet exists for a reason.

It's a martial arts manga that was made by the person who did Vampire Princess Miyu.

Sidenote: The English Sailor Moon manga drives me nuts. They call them "SCOUTS" I DON'T SEE COOKIES.

"Don''t let the cave-in get you down
Don''t let the falling rocks turn your smile into a frown...Sokka"
- Minstrel "Avatar: The Last Avatar"

Now you see me <_< Now you don''t

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:47 pm

For Action stuff... I like Rurouni Kenshin. Also, I like Historical fiction, and Ruroken does have SOME of that.

Comedy, I LOVE Kodomo No Omocha. The Anime is funnier, but the Manga has a better story. ... I prefer the Anime usually. XD
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:18 pm

If you like psychological stuff, try Revolutionary Girl Utena (anime) and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Of course, if you don't like big robot battles, you're screwed as far as Evangelion goes. Utena has all the magical girl anime trappings, but since you are a Sailor Moon fan that shouldn't be a problem.

Fruityla
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Fruityla » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:22 pm

Watch the Utena movie sometime. It's the most weirded out thing EVER.

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:48 pm

Fruityla wrote:
I wouldn't recommend that until after a full viewing of the series. There are just too many series-specific references to be comprehensible to the uninitiated viewer.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:55 pm

Jeff wrote:
Fruityla wrote:
I wouldn't recommend that until after a full viewing of the series. There are just too many series-specific references to be comprehensible to the uninitiated viewer.
''Utena Movie'' and ''comprehensible'' are two things that do not go together, even if you've seen the series. :P It's a movie as if David Lynch directed it.

It's great to look at, but don't try to understand it, else your head will explode.

Fruityla
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Fruityla » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:16 am

Aya Reiko wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Fruityla wrote:
''Utena Movie'' and ''comprehensible'' are two things that do not go together, even if you've seen the series. :P It's a movie as if David Lynch directed it.

It's great to look at, but don't try to understand it, else your head will explode.

My friend had me watch it because she thought it was weird. She thought me and my weird mind might understand it >>;; but I'm not THAT weird.

Utena reminded me of Haruka in the movie XD

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:20 am

Fruityla wrote:
Aya Reiko wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Fruityla wrote:

My friend had me watch it because she thought it was weird. She thought me and my weird mind might understand it >>;; but I'm not THAT weird.

Utena reminded me of Haruka in the movie XD
Who do you think was the director's influence about that role?

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:19 pm

Marijuana and Japanese-People should never be mixed.

Anyway, I'm a comedy fan so naturally Azumanga Daioh and the like are high on my list. But because cartoons get annoying after a good while I prefer some drama every now and then.

Now & Then, Here & There is excellent. It's art, story, plot, charactors... everything is simply amazing.

Grave of the Fireflies is also very good. It's simply timeless. The only problem it has is it's re-watchablility factor sucks...

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:43 am

My favorite manga.....oh gosh i have a huge list!

Sailor Moon, of course!
CardCaptor Sakura (lovely story that got better with every volume)
XXXholic
Full Moon wo Sagashite (my new fave)
Man of Man Faces (Clamp's touching love story)
The One I Love (many wonderful short love stories from Clamp)
Urusei Yatsura (because it's too funny not to read)
Ah My Goddess (touching, funny, romantic and insane. the perfect blend)
Boys Over Flowers (because love has never been so complex)

These are just my top faves

Vagabond
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Vagabond » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:51 am

Here are some really good manga and anime that I would recommend that are not very well known.

Manga
1. Monster - It is a very good story about that sort of mixes the Fugitive with a whole lot of conspiracy stuff. It takes place in Europe right after the Berlin Wall fell. A doctor name Tenma saves a dying young boy named Johan from a bullet to the head. However, that boy turns out to be a psychopath that has a terrible secret past, and also a master manipulator. Tenma has to go and uncover Johan's past and also kill him. The story also introduces a whole ton of characters in a setting that is totally original and yet realistic. Highly recommended.

2. Vagabond - Based on the story of Musashi, and illustrated by the author of Slam Dunk. This chronicles the story of the legendary sword saint Miyamoto Musashi, who wrote the classic Book of Five Rings. The art is amazing, the characterization is superb, and the there are plenty of fight scenes. It also explores the spiritual side of swordsmanship that is rarely if ever paralleled in another manga.

Anime
1. Black Jack 21 - Black Jack is one of Osamu Tezuka's (the god of manga who made Astroboy, Kimba the White Lion) most famous characters. Basically a black market surgeon who charges crazy prices for his services, but can heal almost anybody. However, he runs a foul of a mysterious organization that has ties to his dead mentor and the father who abandoned him as a child. Now he is on the run and has to find out their purpose while evading their assasins in a globe trotting adventure.

2. Twelve Kingdoms - It is like Fushuugi Yuugi, only with more politics and less romance. It takes place in a country based on Chinese mythology, where there are 12 kingdoms. Each kingdom has a ruler who is chosen and given a Mandate of Heaven to rule in a world filled with monsters, sorcery and politics. The ruler is immortal, unless he or she does not act benevolently which will lead to his or her country suffering from natural disasters due to the will of Heaven. It chronicles a girl from our world who is chosen to be the Empress of a Kingdom known as Kei and how she grows in to the role.
If you just see the leaf, you'll miss the tree;
If you just see the tree, you'll miss the forest;
To see everything, effortlessly, that is what it means to truly see.