Yu-Gi-Oh Season 1 (the one not dubbed)

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Yu-Gi-Oh Season 1 (the one not dubbed)

Post by Gamer8585 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:33 pm

I've started watching the first Yu-Gi-Oh episodes, and they are really good. There are more games then just Magic and Wizards/Duel Monsters. There are alot more mature things in there, and Yami-Yugi comes off as a real psycho (especially what he dose to that robber in ep. 2. This is the way the King of Games was meant to be viewed.

Has anyone else seen these episodes?
Last edited by Gamer8585 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:04 pm

I have yet to see these episodes. But judging by what you've said about it, and the article I read about it in an anime magazine, I REALLY wanna see it.

Are the episodes on YouTube?
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:02 pm

Neon Heart wrote:I have yet to see these episodes. But judging by what you've said about it, and the article I read about it in an anime magazine, I REALLY wanna see it.

Are the episodes on YouTube?
Yeah, its a good series. I used bittorent to get the episodes, but there are a few on YouTube. Just type in eaither "Yu-Gi-Oh Series 1" or Yu-gi-oh Series 0." There's still some confusion about wether to call it the first season or a "0" season.

Here's a link to get you started:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDiDx5lxR7Y

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:54 pm

I really enjoyed the earlier volumes of the manga (up to Volume 7) and the first series. The animation is pretty bad though, and the neon colors in the art is a bit odd. It's cheesy as ever, but it's a good cheese. Much better than the whole Duel Monsters drama. This series also has an excellent cast.

Megumi Ogata as Dark Yugi = teh sex. :lol:

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:45 am

I've read the manga, but I haven't gotten to see the anime.

I'm still mad at myself for not purchasing the uncut season two that was released, since you can't get it anymore, and because I'm such a Pegasus fangirl :oops: He's the only reason I got into Yugioh in the first place.
STAGE OUT!!!

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:27 am

Ive heard the show was really good before it just became a marketing scheme.

I havent seen the early episodes yet but wouldnt mind.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:47 am

Gamer8585 wrote: Yeah, its a good series. I used bittorent to get the episodes, but there are a few on YouTube. Just type in eaither "Yu-Gi-Oh Series 1" or Yu-gi-oh Series 0." There's still some confusion about wether to call it the first season or a "0" season.
The first "season" of Yugioh is an entirely seperate show from Yugioh: Duel Monsters, so I think either one wouldn't be very accurate to describe it since it isn't a lost season or anything; just a completly different show. Yugioh was produced by Toei and aired in Japan on TV Asahi while Duel Monsters was produced by NAS and aired on TV Tokyo. The Japanese VAs in both series are completly different, the character designs and animation style are entirely different (Kaiba has green hair instead of brown, Shizuka has purple hair), and some events that happen in the first series happen for the first time again in Duel Monsters (Yugi's first duel against Kaiba, Yugi's first encounter with Shadi, Yugi's first duel against Yami Bakura) and it would create a huge continuity error if this was all one show but they're really completely seperate series that are based on the same manga. Anyway, I've seen the first couple of episodes of the first Yugioh series and I've read all of the manga counterpart and I have to say I really enjoyed those episodes a lot but I was already a Yugioh fan before I saw them. I liked seeing more character-centric episodes and I liked how Yugi challenged his enemies with different games instead of Duel Monsters all the time. I also liked the Yugi x Anzu romance that happened in the series and I loved Ogata Megumi-san as Yami Yugi. It's a shame they couldn't have kept her for Duel Monsters but I abosulelty can't stand Kaiba with green hair.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:07 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I abosulelty can't stand Kaiba with green hair.
Yeah, that was pretty bad. They even showed a younger Kaiba with green hair and yellow eyes-- CREEPY!

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:59 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Gamer8585 wrote: Yeah, its a good series. I used bittorent to get the episodes, but there are a few on YouTube. Just type in eaither "Yu-Gi-Oh Series 1" or Yu-gi-oh Series 0." There's still some confusion about wether to call it the first season or a "0" season.
The first "season" of Yugioh is an entirely seperate show from Yugioh: Duel Monsters, so I think either one wouldn't be very accurate to describe it since it isn't a lost season or anything; just a completly different show. Yugioh was produced by Toei and aired in Japan on TV Asahi while Duel Monsters was produced by NAS and aired on TV Tokyo. The Japanese VAs in both series are completly different, the character designs and animation style are entirely different (Kaiba has green hair instead of brown, Shizuka has purple hair), and some events that happen in the first series happen for the first time again in Duel Monsters (Yugi's first duel against Kaiba, Yugi's first encounter with Shadi, Yugi's first duel against Yami Bakura) and it would create a huge continuity error if this was all one show but they're really completely seperate series that are based on the same manga. Anyway, I've seen the first couple of episodes of the first Yugioh series and I've read all of the manga counterpart and I have to say I really enjoyed those episodes a lot but I was already a Yugioh fan before I saw them. I liked seeing more character-centric episodes and I liked how Yugi challenged his enemies with different games instead of Duel Monsters all the time. I also liked the Yugi x Anzu romance that happened in the series and I loved Ogata Megumi-san as Yami Yugi. It's a shame they couldn't have kept her for Duel Monsters but I abosulelty can't stand Kaiba with green hair.
True enough on most of those points, however they do show flashbacks to parts of the episoides in Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters. At least they did in the dub. So saying that their not contiguious is probably streching it. Plus Duel Monsters starts out with the assumtion that you already know most of the characters, which is why they don't explain how Yugi got his puzzle, which realy should have been first.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:40 pm

Gamer8585 wrote:True enough on most of those points, however they do show flashbacks to parts of the episoides in Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters. At least they did in the dub. So saying that their not contiguious is probably streching it. Plus Duel Monsters starts out with the assumtion that you already know most of the characters, which is why they don't explain how Yugi got his puzzle, which realy should have been first.
That still doesn't mean they stay in the continuity. The Duel Monsters anime just takes off where the first series left off. However, some previous stories were adapted in Duel Monsters. Like episode one, which deals with Kaiba having a duel with Yugi. That's based off when Kaiba first faced Yugi, and Kaiba dueling Yugi in Death T from the first series.

The flashbacks don't mean anything, infact if I remeber correctly they're completely new animated scenes.

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:56 pm

They're not in the same continuity. The first Yu-gi-oh series was made by Toei. The second series was made by TVTokyo.

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Well seeing as this thread has been resurrected, I'll share about what I've learned since I first posted.

After reading the manga it seems like the pre-duel monsters parts were adapted for TV first (although there are many differences between the manga and those eps.).

Later Duel Monsters was adapted for TV by another studio. It was closer to the manga, but since they stared from Duel Monsters they had to play "catch up" for the audience and they made the first couple of episodes the first duel between Kiba and Yugi (adapted from the middle of the pre-duel monsters part of the manga).