Magical Girl

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:56 am

My other favorite magical girl anime series are CCS, Pretear, Tokyo Mew Mew, Rayearth, Pretty Sammy, and Sugar (if it does count as magical girl anime, after all). Does Mai Hime really count as magical girl anime? I always thought it was a shounen anime or is it a shounen magical girl anime (if that's even possible)?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:06 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:My other favorite magical girl anime series are CCS, Pretear, Tokyo Mew Mew, Rayearth, Pretty Sammy, and Sugar (if it does count as magical girl anime, after all). Does Mai Hime really count as magical girl anime? I always thought it was a shounen anime or is it a shounen magical girl anime (if that's even possible)?
Yes, a magical girl can be shounen. Just look at Cutie Honey and Pretty Sammy.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:51 am

Umino wrote:
Yes, a magical girl can be shounen. Just look at Cutie Honey and Pretty Sammy.
Cutey Honey and Pretty Sammy are Shonen? o_O;

I can sorta see Cutey Honey..maybe..but Pretty Sammy?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:06 pm

Tiff wrote:Cutey Honey and Pretty Sammy are Shonen? o_O;

I can sorta see Cutey Honey..maybe..but Pretty Sammy?
The only shoujo Cutey Honey series is Cutey Honey Flash, the rest are shonen. The original manga even ran in the Shonen Champion magazine. The original series was originally suppose to be a shoujo series, but it lost the timeslot (which only aired shoujo magical girl series) to Miracle Shoujo Limit-chan.

I always heard of Pretty Sammy being referred as a "shonen mahou shoujo parody". Magical Project S I can see being labeled as shoujo, but the Pretty Sammy OVA always seemed shonen.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:24 pm

Umino wrote:
The only shoujo Cutey Honey series is Cutey Honey Flash, the rest are shonen. The original manga even ran in the Shonen Champion magazine. The original series was originally suppose to be a shoujo series, but it lost the timeslot (which only aired shoujo magical girl series) to Miracle Shoujo Limit-chan.

I always heard of Pretty Sammy being referred as a "shonen mahou shoujo parody". Magical Project S I can see being labeled as shoujo, but the Pretty Sammy OVA always seemed shonen.
wow, I had no idea about Cutey Honey. Thanks for the info!

And as for Pretty Sammy...that was my problem, I was confusing Pretty Sammy with Magical Project S. I've never seen either, so I forgot there were two.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

djtaylor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by djtaylor » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:53 pm

Neon Heart & Tiff

It makes sense to me, I like the look of em, I like the sound of em,
and I've already made up my mined. 8)

djtaylor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by djtaylor » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:24 pm

Does any one have an opinion on Corrector Yui ?

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:18 pm

Tiff wrote:
Umino wrote:

wow, I had no idea about Cutey Honey. Thanks for the info!

And as for Pretty Sammy...that was my problem, I was confusing Pretty Sammy with Magical Project S. I've never seen either, so I forgot there were two.
While we're on the subject of Pretty Sammy, I think there's a new series currently airing. Hang on a minute...

Yup, here it is; Sasami -Mahou Shoujo Club-. This is the official homepage.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

djtaylor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by djtaylor » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:03 pm

Sasami Mahou Shoujo Club

I was not awer of that one. I have no problem with the art that i've seen. And the short summery I read sounds good.

I think I'm a big fan.

Edit: blarg on this post
Last edited by djtaylor on Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:44 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:Yup, here it is; Sasami -Mahou Shoujo Club-. This is the official homepage.
It looks really shitty. Nothing at all like the Magical Project S series. Completely new cast, ugly designs.. blah. No thank you.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Umino wrote:
Aya Reiko wrote:Yup, here it is; Sasami -Mahou Shoujo Club-. This is the official homepage.
It looks really shitty. Nothing at all like the Magical Project S series. Completely new cast, ugly designs.. blah. No thank you.
Good god, Sasami's design is horrid. Seriously, wtf is she wearing? A red cardboard box?

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

djtaylor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by djtaylor » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:04 am

I read you're negative opinions - I wint back to that site - I looked at the crapy disegins on the front page - I found that the voices are done by kids -

blarg on every thing

now i'm gona feal bad for the rest of the day

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:46 pm

In responce to Pretty Sammy, I think that Magical Project S is better than the OAV series, in terms of storyline. And as for the animation quality, it's on par with Tenchi in Tokyo.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:04 pm

DuoTheShinigami02 wrote:In responce to Pretty Sammy, I think that Magical Project S is better than the OAV series, in terms of storyline. And as for the animation quality, it's on par with Tenchi in Tokyo.
I haven't seen the Pretty Sammy OVA, but Magical Project S was pretty damn funny. Gotta love Pixy Misa.

As for the animation, I thought it was more on par with Tenchi Universe.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:21 pm

DuoTheShinigami02 wrote:In responce to Pretty Sammy, I think that Magical Project S is better than the OAV series, in terms of storyline. And as for the animation quality, it's on par with Tenchi in Tokyo.
The TV show was originally called Pretty Sammy in Japan but Geneon changed the title to Magical Project S in the U.S. I have a habit of using the Japanese and American titles interchangeably, so if I use the title Pretty Sammy, I'm usually referring to both the OVAs and TV show, if that makes any sense. ^^;;
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed May 03, 2006 12:28 pm

Card Captor Sakura is my favorite anime series (I dont know why.

Note I said Card Captor Sakura not Cardcaptors. There is a difference :wink:

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Wed May 03, 2006 12:45 pm

outside SM, I've only seen Magic Knight Rayearth, Card Captor Sakura, and a little bit of Wedding Peach. I loved MKRs tv series (not too fond of the OVAs) and Card Captor Sakura was alright. But I didn't like what I saw of Wedding Peach one bit. I also loved Utena if that counts as magical girl.

As for Pretty Sammy, I haven't seen it but I heard more than once it mocks magical girl anime, yet it's still shounen.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sat May 13, 2006 5:05 pm

I haven't seen many Magical Girl anime, but of the one's I have seen I've really liked.

Sailor Moon- My absolute favorite, after almost ten years I still love this show
Tokyo Mew Mew- really cute!
Card Captor Sakura- also really cute
Magic Knight Rayearth- Liked it a lot but it focused a little to much on Hikaru at times
Wedding Peach- Liked it but not as much as the others

*Eternal Moon*
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by *Eternal Moon* » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

Besides Sailor Moon, I also like Cardcaptor Sakura and Saint Tail. Those are the only Magical Girl series I've seen and read.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:09 am

*Eternal Moon* wrote:Besides Sailor Moon, I also like Cardcaptor Sakura and Saint Tail. Those are the only Magical Girl series I've seen and read.
I love Saint Tail. its about the most adorable anime Ive ever seen. I got the whole series on DVD
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain