Studio Ghibli

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Studio Ghibli

Post by SeiUsa » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:11 am

What do you think of the movies made by Studio Ghibli? (Most by Hayao Miyazaki). And the dubs by Disney?
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

LilEva
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by LilEva » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:34 am

I love the originals. Disney has been quite surprising with their quality of dubbing. The only dub I did not like at all was the Laputa: Castle in the Sky dub. That was just atrocious.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:37 am

*Nods* I love all of the Ghibli films i've seen so far, and I agree that Disney has done a pretty good job of dubbing.

Does anyone know where one can get My Neighbor Totoro in Japanese? Is there a DVD release? I was given the VHS years ago on my 13th birthday, but it's dubbed (granted, it's not a BAD dub..I just really want the original).

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:07 pm

I THINK I've seen it at Best Buy, even though this site doesn't have a release date for it. When I go over there again (possibly this weekend) I'll let you know if I see it there.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:53 pm

I love Ghibli films, especially those that are from Miyazaki-san. My favorite Ghibli film is definetly Howl's Moving Castle. It's just so wonderful in every way. The only non-Miyazaki Ghibli film I've seen was The Cat's Return, which sadly was my least favorite Ghibli film. The only thing I liked about it was the animation. It's the only Ghibli film I've seen where I stopped watching it the moment I got to the ending credits.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:23 pm

Tiff wrote:*Nods* I love all of the Ghibli films i've seen so far, and I agree that Disney has done a pretty good job of dubbing.

Does anyone know where one can get My Neighbor Totoro in Japanese? Is there a DVD release? I was given the VHS years ago on my 13th birthday, but it's dubbed (granted, it's not a BAD dub..I just really want the original).
There's a DVD release by Fox, but it's dub-only like the VHS and think is out-of-print (or going out-of-print, since Disney is getting the home video rights to Totoro)

Disney will be releasing it on DVD, though, and their release will have the Japanese version (and a new dub). I believe that it's planned to come out early next year (whenever Howl's Moving Castle comes to DVD).

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:26 pm

The Fox DVD is indeed out of print. You can get it used at Amazon. The new DVD by Disney will have two disks apparently. I would presume that the second disk has extras. You can pre-order it from Amazon but the release date hasn't been decided.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:05 pm

EmperorBrandon wrote:
Tiff wrote:
Disney will be releasing it on DVD, though, and their release will have the Japanese version (and a new dub). I believe that it's planned to come out early next year (whenever Howl's Moving Castle comes to DVD).
wow, really?! That's pretty awesome! I'll have to check that out!

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:13 am

I saw My Neighbour Totoro in Japanese class a few years ago. Our teacher bought the tape when she was in Japan, so there were no subtitles. But from what I understood, it was a really cute movie! I especially liked the Neko-Neko-Basu (literally translates to Cat-Cat-Bus, I have not seen the english version, so I don't know what they called it in english).

I've enjoyed all the Studio Ghibli films I've seen so far except for Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. I love Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbour Totoro obviously.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:36 am

RoastedTwinkies wrote:I saw My Neighbour Totoro in Japanese class a few years ago. Our teacher bought the tape when she was in Japan, so there were no subtitles. But from what I understood, it was a really cute movie! I especially liked the Neko-Neko-Basu (literally translates to Cat-Cat-Bus, I have not seen the english version, so I don't know what they called it in english).

I've enjoyed all the Studio Ghibli films I've seen so far except for Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. I love Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbour Totoro obviously.
they called it "Catbus".

o_O You didn't like Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke? Wow.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:42 am

Tiff wrote:o_O You didn't like Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke? Wow.
To be honest, those movies bored me. I haven't seen them in a couple years, so I forget all the details as to why I didn't like them.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:00 am

I can understand that, actually. Mononoke and Sen to Chihiro were more artsy and symbolic than Kiki. That kind of movie can be good, and I did like both of them, but it's not an automatic rule that if it's hard to understand then it's good.

My favorite Ghibli film is Grave of the Fireflies. It's a near-perfect modern tragedy, all the more so for being true. I was crying like a little baby at the end. I think the reason it works is that it doesn't dwell on the misery--it shows it, but spends more time on the happy times Seita and Setsuko have. Which makes you feel the loss all the more.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:52 am

The only film I've seen is Castle in the Sky which I very much enjoyed. It was the redubbed one. It's obvous that Miyazaki didn't know where Swift got the name for Laputa. Swift named it from La Puta which means whore in Spanish. I would love to see Grave of the Fireflies. It sounds like my kind of film.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:10 am

RoastedTwinkies wrote:I've enjoyed all the Studio Ghibli films I've seen so far except for Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.
I didn't care for Princess Mononoke either. It was my least favorite of all the ones I've seen.
Other than that, I've loved all of the Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films I've seen. Favorite being Kiki's Delivery Service. I only have the VHS version, but I'd love to get my hands on the DVD.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:44 am

Tempest: You can get the Kiki DVD at Wal-mart. Ours has had it for almost four months now.

I'd have to agree with Sailor Asteroid and say that Grave of the Fireflies is my favorite, too. It's tragic, beautiful, and really makes you stop and think. I adore the two characters in it, and the relatoinship they share. And damn that movie always makes me cry.

While I did enjoy Mononoke-hime, it's probably my least favorite as well. I LOVED Spirited Away. It made absolutely no sense, but I still loved it.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:55 am

Tiff wrote:Tempest: You can get the Kiki DVD at Wal-mart. Ours has had it for almost four months now.
I LOVED Spirited Away. It made absolutely no sense, but I still loved it.
This walmart carried it for a while, but stopped. There was a Miyazaki stand that had Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the sky. My sister and I picked up Spirited Away raight after it's release, but held off on getting Kiki. I don't know why they no longer have it, but I regret not getting it while I had the chance.

I enjoyed Spirited Away too! It was strange, but it was also very, very beautiful.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Sute
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sute » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:55 pm

My all time favorite it Tonari no Totoro, followed by Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away ^_^

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:26 pm

Wow, I'm surprised Mononoke is at the bottom of almost everyone's lists. It's one of my top favorites. The part that seems to get me, for some reason, is Moro telling Ashitaka that she can hear the forest's cries. The theme is just beautiful, in both languages. The perfect song to calm you down.
What really bugs me is the original voice for Moro: a man! That was just too weird for me when I first watched it. I think the English dub for Moro is much more suitable.
---
Lady Eboshi: What exactly are you here for?
Prince Ashitaka: To see with eyes unclouded by hate.
----

I'd love to see Whisper of the Heart pretty soon.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:07 pm

Tempest wrote:
Tiff wrote:Tempest: You can get the Kiki DVD at Wal-mart. Ours has had it for almost four months now.
I LOVED Spirited Away. It made absolutely no sense, but I still loved it.
This walmart carried it for a while, but stopped. There was a Miyazaki stand that had Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the sky. My sister and I picked up Spirited Away raight after it's release, but held off on getting Kiki. I don't know why they no longer have it, but I regret not getting it while I had the chance.

I enjoyed Spirited Away too! It was strange, but it was also very, very beautiful.
I first got Kiki's Delivery Service as a bootleg. I loaned it to my friend, but then her roommate stole it and took it with her when she moved out ><;;; Fortunately, it was only a $12 (Canadian) bootleg. It's not too much of a loss.

So I bought another copy (official this time) from HMV. Do you have HMV in your area? The problem though is that HMV inflates their prices too high and I probably paid too much for my copy.

I try to avoid buying anime from HMV now because the local HMV at West Edmonton Mall doesn't take care of their anime DVDs. Most times when you pick up an anime DVD from the shelf, you can hear the DVD rattling all over the place inside the box, so you know the DVD's been scratched to shit.

Most of the people who work at our HMV are a bunch of assholes. My friend found a damaged box set for ROD the TV. The plastic box was cracked pretty badly, and so we asked for a discount. Then they wouldn't give us the discount and expected us to pay full price on damaged merchandise ><;;

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:31 pm

I've seen several of the Ghibli movies, and I've really enjoyed all of them. My favorites are likely Spirited Away, followed by The Cat Returns and Nausicaa. Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro are my least favorites, but I still enjoyed them a lot. I've also seen Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service.

I think all of Disney's dubs for the movies are especially well-done (don't really have any problem with CitS's dub either). The Cat Returns and Spirited Away were their best efforts IMO as far as dubbing goes.