What dub songs do you think were effective?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: Canada

What dub songs do you think were effective?

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:22 pm

Like the title says, what dub songs do you think were effective in the series?

I think most of the songs were not that great, but I've got four that I think were highly effective:

I thought that My Only Love was more effective than it's original song because it portrayed the emotion a lot more when the senshi find out that Sailor Moon is the moon princess.

I thought that Carry On was more effective than Moonlight Densetsu because I just don't think Moonlight Densetsu makes a good battle song.

I liked Rainy Day Man in 'A Knight to Remember' because like My Only Love, it portrayed the emotion a lot more, in my opinion that is.

In 'Mercury Moving On?', I thought 'Will You Miss Me?' worked just as well as the original song, 'Sharing the Same Tears'. However, I did not like the similar song 'Only a Memory Away'. I don't know really, that version of it really irritates me because I hate country music. 'Will You Miss Me?' sounds a bit country too, but I still like it. At some point when I find time, I plan to figure out a guitar tab for it and re-record the song myself as a no CD version of it exists. I think I can find a way to change the song, so that it has a pop or soft rock feel to it, but anyway, that's off topic, so back on topic now ^_^

What are your ideas?

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Re: What dub songs do you think were effective?

Post by Tiff » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:36 pm

RoastedTwinkies wrote:
I thought that My Only Love was more effective than it's original song because it portrayed the emotion a lot more when the senshi find out that Sailor Moon is the moon princess.

I thought that Carry On was more effective than Moonlight Densetsu because I just don't think Moonlight Densetsu makes a good battle song.
I disagree about "my only love", becuase Usagi and Mamoru were NOT in love by that time. They had a few feelings for eachother, but it wasn't as though they were deeply in love. They didn't even fully know about their pasts, for crying out loud. I don't care for the original song, but I think My Only Love just didn't make too much sense.

Carry on made sense, but I liked Moonlight Densetsu there much better, simply becuase it was touching to hear the main song during Usagi's extreme battle.

Let's see...appropriate dub songs...uh...Oh Starry Night sounded a LOT like the original song, Ein no melody (wasn't that it?)...that's pretty much it x_x;;

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
marspeach
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:30 am

Post by marspeach » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:54 pm

I actually sort of liked the DIC songs. Not like the terrible Cloverway ones. The only one I think was more effective than the original was My Only Love.
I am a loser!

User avatar
RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: Canada

Re: What dub songs do you think were effective?

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:54 pm

Tiff wrote:
I disagree about "my only love", becuase Usagi and Mamoru were NOT in love by that time. They had a few feelings for eachother, but it wasn't as though they were deeply in love. They didn't even fully know about their pasts, for crying out loud. I don't care for the original song, but I think My Only Love just didn't make too much sense.
You do have a point there, but the song could act as a foreshadowing, couldn't it?
Let's see...appropriate dub songs...uh...Oh Starry Night sounded a LOT like the original song, Ein no melody (wasn't that it?)...that's pretty much it x_x;;
Oh Starry Night could work, but I didn't really like the english version that much.

User avatar
Celexa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:39 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by Celexa » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:43 pm

I find I tend to like things disliked by the majority, so here goes...

My Only Love - I loved this song. It was beautiful. To me when I rewatch it and know what's going to happen, I take the lyrics "There will come a day, somewhere far away, in your arms I'll stay, my only love..." as when the Moon Kingdom was destroyed and Endymion and Serenity are reborn, only to be split up again.

Only A Memory Away - This one is like that "Will You Miss Me?" song so I put down the CD track name. I really liked this one, it was sad in some of the lyrics, because someone new to the series might really think Ami was going to move away...

Oh Starry Night - I loved the melody in general. To be honest, I tend to pay a bit more attention to the melody than lyrics. And the lyrics were nice too.

It's A New Day - I liked this song. I think it filled the watcher with more of a sense of "Everything will be okay and turn back to normal" rather than "You Are Just My Love" which filled in the the "it will be okay" sense, but for some reason when I watch, if I hadn't seen the rest of the series I would have thought Usagi and Mamoru would never fall in love again.

Carry On - I liked this one a lot better than the original, it filled the battle with more of a sense of duty. I was sorely dissapointed the first time I watched and the song was a longer version of "Moonlight Densetu." It took me a week to get over my dissapointment.

Rainy Day Man - I.LOVE.THIS.SONG. It's soooo sad, and I tend to like sad songs a lot. Nice soothing melody too. I could FEEL Makoto's pain when I heard it.

She's Got The Power - Call me insane. Call me completely moronically incurably insane. But I like this song. ONLY the TV show version though, the CD track gives me shivers. I think the song fit the battle. Sure it lacked the "We have to win this battle" feel of Ai no Senshi, and sure the lyrics can be pretty cheesy, but I still think it fit. I just LIKED this song when it was played in the dub.

Me: This is coming from the kid who doesn't know what Viagra is!
Ko: It's cold medicine, right?
Our Group: NO!!!
Me: Can I just say?
Dylan: Sure, it's no weirder than what normally comes out of your mouth.
Me: (says what)
Ko: .....What's that?
Me: ......*starts crying*
Carley: STEVE! STEVE GET OVER HERE AND TELL KO WHAT VIAGRA DOES!
Steve: See, it's like this: The bridge goes up and the soldiers rush out....

Tiff: Aww, you killed someone for me. That's so sweet in a f***ed up sort of way!

User avatar
LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:17 am
Location: New Jersey

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:00 pm

My picks-

My Only Love- While the lyrics may have not been completely fitting, the melody was. It was sad and it touched me. That whole scene is what made me like the series a lot.


Carry On- IMO it's a far better battle song than Moonlight Densetsu. MD'slyrics fit but it was too slow paced. Plus I'm not crazy about the DALI version anymore. As a matter of fact Carry On is the only dub song I prefered to the Japanese.

Oh Starry Night- Sounds a lot like Eien no Melody but not as good.

It's A New Day was alright, I guess.

And I also like "Who Do You Think You Are" in the R recap episode but it was kinda out of place. The original played Ai No Senshi during some of that portion. Same thing with Power of Love. Nice song but I didn't really feel anything in either of the scenes it was used.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

User avatar
Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:43 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA.
Contact:

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:56 am

I don't like any of the DiC songs better than the Japanese songs, but they're some that I felt they placed well in scenes and I appreciate the fact that they at least tried to re-capture the feel of the moment. I'd have to say My Only Love worked well in the episode it was used in for the same reasons everyone else stated. Carry On is a pretty good song, but I only like the music for it since the lyrics are evilly cheesy. "The Evil Queen we must defeat?" *gags* Give me Moonlight Dentsu anyday, even if I don't like that song very much. I also liked the tv-sized version of Only A Memory Away and it fit the mood right, but it's ugh, too countryish and I hate country music. I'm not sure if this counts because in the Japanese version of this one particular scene, there was no song, but DiC inserted one in. In the episode "So You Wanna Be a Star?" I liked the use of the song, "I Wanna Be a Star" because it felt the scene well and it was very talented-showish like and I thought it was better than having no song at all in the Japanese version of this episode.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

User avatar
Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:29 pm

Post by Umino » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:17 pm

I thought the American version of 'Sailor Team no Theme' was a pretty good song.

As for the other dub songs...

User avatar
Chibi Son Gokou
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:30 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Post by Chibi Son Gokou » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:43 pm

The only dub song I liked was Carry On, and it was implemented very well and made the scene more effective than Moonlight Densetsu. I think in the original, they should have used a song simular to Moon Revenge.

The other songs pretty much suck, especially the one that goes I WANNA BE A STAR STAR STAR
(Voice done by Masako Nozawa)

User avatar
Lady of the Light
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:28 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post by Lady of the Light » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:25 pm

Hmm. I liked the song 'The Power of Love', and thought that it did itself well when Usagi and Chibi-Usa went up against the Death Phantom, because, well, that's basically what they were doing, using the power of love. (Dude, that was corny...) However, I feel that they should have used a different song during the R movie, because the 'Power of Love' didn't suit that scene at all. The song itself is nice, but not for that part of the movie.
And, call me crazy, but I like the dub opening. Although the lyrics may be flawed, it's still nice. I only wish they hadn't used it in the beginning of the series, because I can remember thinking, "Who the hell is Sailor Venus?"
Mr. James : Lost a satellite on liftoff today.
Dave : Cost?
Mr. James : 10 million dollars.
Dave : Result?
Mr. James : Extreme set back.
Dave : Milk?
Mr. James : Spilled.
Dave : Gonna cry about it?
Mr. James : Not even.
Dave : I''m sitting on a rather sharp tack.
Mr. James : That's gotta hurt.
Dave : Well, life's a bitch...
Mr. James : ...And then you die.
Dave : My...
Mr. James : ...oh...
Dave : ...my.

User avatar
NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:14 pm
Location: Wootbekistan

Post by NameGoesHere » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:24 pm

I honestly don't think that any of the dub songs were more effective than the originals, but I do think "Rainy Day Man" was an effective song.
It fit the mood nicely, and compared to most of the other songs from the dub the lyrics are thankfully lacking the ultra corny action.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

User avatar
Kaleth-Adara
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:23 pm

Post by Kaleth-Adara » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:53 pm

marspeach wrote:I actually sort of liked the DIC songs. Not like the terrible Cloverway ones. The only one I think was more effective than the original was My Only Love.
Terrible Cloverway songs? Which ones were those? That's the original Japanese music. Unless you are talking of the English dubbed versions of some of the songs, like Ai no Senshi.

User avatar
marspeach
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:30 am

Post by marspeach » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:06 pm

Yes, that's what I was talking about. The dub of Watashi-tachi ni Naritakute was terrible too.
I am a loser!

User avatar
Kaleth-Adara
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:23 pm

Post by Kaleth-Adara » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:11 pm

marspeach wrote:Yes, that's what I was talking about. The dub of Watashi-tachi ni Naritakute was terrible too.
Ah... I missed those and I noticed that they are not on the Geneon DVDs. I've been curious as to how they sound too. :(

User avatar
MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 1640
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Baldwinsville, NY
Contact:

Post by MarioKnight » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:22 pm

I actually think DiC did a good job when creating songs to use with the dub. Best ones I can remember off the top of my head include My Only Love, Carry On, It's a New Day, Rainy Day Man, Oh Starry Night, and Power of Love. The lyrics might've been a little bit lacking for a few of those, but the instruments and arrangements of them more than made up for it. I'm in the middle of the other DiC made for the first two seasons, they were nice but not completely necessary. One exception though would be She's Got the Power, it was nice to see they used a song there instead of removing it, but it didn't really make the scene more emotional for me, would've rather had them dubbed Ai no Senshi.

Movies, if I remember correctly, the only one used actually in the movie was Power of Love, which didn't fit the scene at all. Dubbed Moon Revenge would've been so much better.

As for CWi, I have no quirks with their songs really. They didn't even dub the song in episode 99 (dub 92), which was kinda cool but I would've liked to see the song dubbed in English or something. Only makes sense to have the song match the language the show is being presented in. I generally liked their song dubs, my only little quibble would be the VA used for the SuperS songs, I felt like I was watching 80s cartoons when hearing those dubbed songs, more specifically Puff The Magic Dragon. o.o;;;
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08


This list seems to keep on growing. =(

User avatar
Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1310
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:37 am
Location: Bug Valley
Contact:

Post by Rainbow » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:03 am

As I stated in a separate topic, I prefer Carry On as a battle song to Moonlight Densetsu.

I like "I Wanna Be a Star" too, but separate from the story, since it doesn't quite fit since it mentions other Sailor Scouts and it was only Serena at that point in the story.

I like all the dub songs, actually, but it's kind of hard for me to compare them since the two versions are fairly different anyway. I'd say that the dub songs are appropriate for the dub and the Japanese songs for the Japanese version since it goes with the language being spoken by the characters.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

User avatar
Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:19 am
Location: Massy, France

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:07 pm

Well, I don't know the whole dub myself, but as a separate song, I liked My Only Love, though I didn't like it in the episode. Only because it sounded... a tidbit too cheesy, if cheesy carries what I think correctly. Whereas Maboroshi no Ginzuishou is a bit more "noble" and suits a Princess better, I think. ^^;;;;;;;
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay


Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

User avatar
Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: In the trees

Post by Dinozore » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:11 pm

I think everyone knows I think Carry On was more effective than Moonlight Densetsu could ever be (it's just not a battle song, plain and simple)

I thought most of the English songs fit pretty well, anyway...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:05 pm

Akarui Kibuno wrote:Well, I don't know the whole dub myself, but as a separate song, I liked My Only Love, though I didn't like it in the episode. Only because it sounded... a tidbit too cheesy, if cheesy carries what I think correctly. Whereas Maboroshi no Ginzuishou is a bit more "noble" and suits a Princess better, I think. ^^;;;;;;;
Not to mention that Maboroshi no Ginzuishou is ABOUT what appeared: THE GINZUISHOU. Nowhere in that scene is Usagi confessing her love for Mamoru, so My Only Love just DOESN'T make much sense. It's a pretty song on its own, but in the scene, it's just ridiculous, IMO.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
marspeach
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:30 am

Post by marspeach » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:33 pm

I thought the beat of My Only Love fit the scene more. The Maboroshi no Ginzuishou song wasn't good enough for me. I guess the words fit the situation, but I didn't care for it.
I am a loser!

Locked