Stuff you just...notice...

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:10 am

The theme that plays when the Starlights appear is the same melody as the Tuxedo Mask one from episode 3 in Japanese, which I just watched. I don't remember whether or not that holds true in all the episodes, but it's very appropriate, considering the fact that the Starlights pretty much replace TM's role since he's gone then.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

doodlebuguk
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by doodlebuguk » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:56 am

A little thing I noticed in Sailor Stars, when characters' star seeds are taken...

[spoiler]Sailor Moon is the only senshi to de-transform after her star seed is taken. (She changes back into the waitress outfit she was wearing at the time) While all the other senshi just fade away without going back into their civilian clothes. Granted, this could be because the Animamates failed to take the ginzuishou (Usagi's star seed) but it just kind of stood out to me as I'm rewatching this season at the moment (3 more episodes to go!)[/spoiler]
~So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:02 pm

Also, the Star Seeds come out of people's heads at least some of the time, while in all of the other times when the villains were taking a "soul representation" out of the person's body, it comes out of their chest.

Edit: On a different topic, Usagi's "real" hair color. Is it actually blond? In the Nehelenia Arc of SailorStars, Hotaru's prophecy involves "the shining blond hair is attacked by an evil wish." At least, according to VKLL's fansub translation, which may not be accurate. Also, in the MiXX manga, Rini's "funny pink hair" is mentioned in one of her picture diaries. Is this in the original, or added in the translation? Then again, the picture diaries might not matter; they're not really canon since Venus is usually Sailor V in them, like she was before she met all the others.

The reasons that's at least somewhat important to me is because it kind of wrecks my theory that anime hair colors are not noticed by the anime characters themselves, and they see each other as looking like regular people.

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

NekoSun518
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by NekoSun518 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:18 pm

I was watching the S movie and I noticed that when Luna gets turned into a human, when shes a cat and shes glowing, she looks like Mew from Pokemon. :shock: I just noticed that, and I thought it odd.
My Myspace

A convo between me and my best friend Shannen

Me: Did something just explode?
Shan: *looks at me*
Me: What was that noise?
Shan: Jackie, its been thundering out for the past half hour.
Me: It has?
Shan: Yes, Jackie. Your brain exploded.

"But I am le tired"
"Well have a nap then FIRE Z MISSILES!"

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:30 pm

Uranus and Neptune's colors are opposite their planets--Uranus the planet is turquoise and Neptune is blue! I'm not saying Naoko is wrong for making the Senshi have those colors, especially since she went more off of mythology than the planets themselves.

Mattio
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

The Animation

Post by Mattio » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:33 pm

I always notice the animation.

It will be medium, and then really crappy, and then really good.

I always think of the producers using the crappy artist to save up for the important episodes.

Crappy
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/1501

GREAT
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/1020

Does anybody else notice this?

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: The Animation

Post by Tiff » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:37 pm

Mattio wrote:I always notice the animation.

I always think of the producers using the crappy artist to save up for the important episodes.

Crappy

GREAT

*Shrug* This is really no big surprise...they simply have many animators, and certain ones do different episodes. It's like that with a lot of anime...In Slayers Next, there's an obvious and blatant difference in this one episode, and then in the next one, it changes.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Mattio
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mattio » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:41 pm

Tiff wrote:

Crappy

GREAT

*Shrug* This is really no big surprise...they simply have many animators, and certain ones do different episodes. It's like that with a lot of anime...In Slayers Next, there's an obvious and blatant difference in this one episode, and then in the next one, it changes.
Yes exactly! Now Ive been like memorizing my favorite of the different animators. I think for the episode where Sailor Venus came, they could of hired the good animator, they got the crappy one to do it! WHen the crappy one does it, the noses always look all strange. And Queen Beryl looks really weird, like she has a circle head.

Then there is the really long face episodes, like say, the one in the first season when the catholic priest has one of the rainbow crystals.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:57 am

Here's something else about Sailor Mercury's fading glove that's interesting to note. Even though Mercury's glove fades out when she folds her arm during her Shabom Spray attack in the tvseries, it doesn't do that at all in Sailor Moon S: The Movie. Did they just re-animate that scene for the movie or something?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Strawbaby
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Strawbaby » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:28 pm

S Movie Shabon Spray, aside from the error, looks pretty much the same as the TV series attack to me. I don't think it would have been too hard to paint over the gap, either digitally or on the faulty cel, if they still had them. After all, DiC did it all the time.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:43 am

Here's something that might be explained better if I knew Japanese culture, but how come the Senshi don't use ANY honorifics with each other when they're transformed? I mean, for example, Ami will normally say "Usagi-chan" but it's always "Sailor Moon," not "Sailor Moon-chan." Since a lack of honorifics denotes extreme familiarity, does this mean that the Senshi want to seem like they're closer then? Because so far as I know, they don't even use endings for the Outers, nor the other way around!

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:37 am

No one uses honorifics when talking to the senshi, like when Shingo calls Sailor Moon Sailor V in episode 5, and I've always thought it's because they're superheroines and above the polite conventions of "normal" people. Notice also that they don't use them when talking to Luna or Artemis, so my guess is that they're only used for regular people.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

usachan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by usachan » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:11 pm

Crappy

GREAT

Ya, I notice that, just a comment, the picture you showed as having crappy animation wasn't too bad, generally that was what the animation in the first series was like, it didn't start to get into great animation like the picture you showed until episode 59 I think.
This one is worse. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/5976/sm073/sm073c11.jpg
I would consider the one you used as an example of crappy, medium.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:24 pm

The one listed as "crappy" is actually my favorite. The characters don't look supermodel perfect, rather they look chubby and I like that. Chubby > Perfect
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:17 pm

Tempest wrote:The one listed as "crappy" is actually my favorite. The characters don't look supermodel perfect, rather they look chubby and I like that. Chubby > Perfect
I kinda agree. I kinda like that choppy style. The style, I cannot stand however, is the style that was used in the first episode of R. The faces looked wayyy to flat, and the whole look was dull.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:32 pm

Rainbow wrote:Here's something that might be explained better if I knew Japanese culture, but how come the Senshi don't use ANY honorifics with each other when they're transformed? I mean, for example, Ami will normally say "Usagi-chan" but it's always "Sailor Moon," not "Sailor Moon-chan." Since a lack of honorifics denotes extreme familiarity, does this mean that the Senshi want to seem like they're closer then? Because so far as I know, they don't even use endings for the Outers, nor the other way around!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sailor Moon often refer to Sailor Mercury as "Mercury-chan"?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:43 pm

I don't believe I've heard that...anywhere. They probably don't add honorifics to the English names because they want to preserve the English the way it is.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:24 pm

o_O; Wouldn't Sailor Moon-san or Sailor Moon-chan be...kind of inaccurate? "Sailor Moon" is already her TITLE..so why add a title (which is basically what an honorific is) to her title?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

usachan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by usachan » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:52 pm

Tempest wrote:The one listed as "crappy" is actually my favorite. The characters don't look supermodel perfect, rather they look chubby and I like that. Chubby > Perfect
Ehh, to each his or her own. I don't really think characters look chubby, I think they just look like they were drawn sloppy. That's just me I guess.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:54 am

Tiff wrote:o_O; Wouldn't Sailor Moon-san or Sailor Moon-chan be...kind of inaccurate? "Sailor Moon" is already her TITLE..so why add a title (which is basically what an honorific is) to her title?
I remember Metallia being called "Queen Metallia-sama", isn't that basically adding an honorific onto a title?
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot