Stuff you just...notice...

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:38 pm

That Elios seems to be more powerful than his Prince. Is he even human considering he was around during the SilMil?

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:46 pm

One thing that I noticed was how the story about the Legendary Lovers and the lake monster in episode 40 paralleled the story of Serenity and Endymion's past. I wonder if this parallel was intentional?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:One thing that I noticed was how the story about the Legendary Lovers and the lake monster in episode 40 paralleled the story of Serenity and Endymion's past. I wonder if this parallel was intentional?
Um..I figured it was pretty obvious that it was. ^^; Just like in the artist episode (the one with the lucky pencils or wahtever), she painted pictures about this legend about a princess and a prince...which CLEARLY paralleled Serenity and Endymion as well, right down to the locket.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Ravynsoul90
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Ravynsoul90 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Tiff wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:One thing that I noticed was how the story about the Legendary Lovers and the lake monster in episode 40 paralleled the story of Serenity and Endymion's past. I wonder if this parallel was intentional?
Um..I figured it was pretty obvious that it was. ^^; Just like in the artist episode (the one with the lucky pencils or wahtever), she painted pictures about this legend about a princess and a prince...which CLEARLY paralleled Serenity and Endymion as well, right down to the locket.
I think you mean the episode where Mamoru and Usagi are asked to model for a drawing, the lucky pencils had the gemini monsters
^-^
So Sorry, Usagi-chan! We will take your energy after the wedding as your Wedding Gift to us okay? :D - Kuroki Mio(PGSM)

Must... Kill... BILL!!!!

Move your goddamn big toe..

"What a time we live in, anger, intolerence, famine, terrorism.. Just imagin what its gunna be like for your grandchildren"
- My English Teacher O.O

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Ravynsoul90 wrote:
I think you mean the episode where Mamoru and Usagi are asked to model for a drawing, the lucky pencils had the gemini monsters
^-^
Ah, yes, there you go. I got those two mixed up.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:01 am

One thing I noticed was that Rei's past is inconsistent in the R movie compared to the rest of the show. Like the movie shows that Rei had a lonely past where she was hated for her powers by others, but then in the TV series Rei was the most popular girl at her private school and even had her own fandom there. Even in episode 10 before Rei met Usagi, the charms at her shrine were already really popular with other girls her age. The only time in the TV series where Rei was accused of being suspicious was that one lady in episode 10, but even she didn't seem to stop the popularity of the shrine's charms and you never saw Rei get as depressed about it as she was in the R movie.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Lightweight
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Lightweight » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:16 pm

Weren't those charms sold by Jadeite (in costume)? My mind may be blurry, but that's how I remember it. Also, perhaps that "lonely past" part from the R movie was probably taken from the manga (which I really, really need to find).
Now listening to: Gorillaz: El Mañana

"You can teach an old dog new tricks... but you cannot teach Madonna to act."
-Yakko Warner

Officially finished watching all Sailor Moon episodes as of April 19, 2008!!!

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Lightweight wrote:Also, perhaps that "lonely past" part from the R movie was probably taken from the manga (which I really, really need to find).
It probably was. iirc, they'd do that occasionally, and there was a Rei-focused volume of the manga (parts of which were adapted into the S movie, actually)...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Ravynsoul90
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Ravynsoul90 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:40 pm

I didnt notice this anywhere but i could have missed it:

Episode 22 just after Usagi changes into a princess, probably about 7:20 or something when shes talking to Luna, zoomed on Usagis face, she is facing the right and a window on the right and a book shelf on the left.

It zooms out and shes facing the left, the window is on the right and the book shelf is on the left.
I dont know if this is in both versions but I saw it in the dub and the Portugal dub :roll:
So Sorry, Usagi-chan! We will take your energy after the wedding as your Wedding Gift to us okay? :D - Kuroki Mio(PGSM)

Must... Kill... BILL!!!!

Move your goddamn big toe..

"What a time we live in, anger, intolerence, famine, terrorism.. Just imagin what its gunna be like for your grandchildren"
- My English Teacher O.O

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sat May 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Here's an interesting possible pun in episode 177 (in SailorStars). Ami, who is Sailor Mercury, is eager to see a comet. Mercury in Japanese is "suisei," and so is comet, just with different kanji! (that is, the words are homophones)
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Wed May 07, 2008 10:27 am

After watching the series again, did Haruka and Michiru ever say "I love you" to each other or kiss? I know it is there somewhere, just can't remember it.

sailor diva
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by sailor diva » Sun May 11, 2008 12:06 pm

did u notice that the sailor stars straps on their outfits match their eyes.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu May 15, 2008 4:30 pm

bioengineer wrote:After watching the series again, did Haruka and Michiru ever say "I love you" to each other or kiss? I know it is there somewhere, just can't remember it.
They never specifically said I love you or even kiss, but they did make a lot of sexual innuendo jokes throughout the series and in Sailor Stars, Haruka and Michiru said they would go to hell with each other if it meant staying together. I think that's the closest we ever got to hearing them say "I love you" to each other. One thing I noticed about the dub was how the opening episode preview segment for dub episode four uses clips from dub episode three even though it's the entire wrong episode.

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Fri May 16, 2008 12:46 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:They never specifically said I love you or even kiss, but they did make a lot of sexual innuendo jokes throughout the series and in Sailor Stars, Haruka and Michiru said they would go to hell with each other if it meant staying together. I think that's the closest we ever got to hearing them say "I love you" to each other.
Yes, you are right. Just watched the series again and no kiss or the "i love you" words. But I must say, that is surprising they have not kissed considering what both have been through.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri May 16, 2008 4:32 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like Sailor Moon in general is biased towards homosexual couples? You see heterosexual couples confessing their love in the series all the time and they'll kiss frequently during it but it's like you never see the homosexual couples being treated the same. Zoicite and Kunzite never kissed either and the closest we got to hearing them say "I love you" was when Kunzite told Zoicite he was beautiful. Even though Haruka and Michiru were passionate about kissing in that one S episode, you never saw them kissing in the series.

The only time we ever saw a gay character kiss was Fisheye kissing Mamoru in one SuperS episode but then that was a non-consensual kiss and Fisheye was single the entire season and ended up dying. The manga's treatment of homosexual characters is about the same as Haruka and Michiru get shafted just as much in the relationship department. It's like the series wants to include homosexual characters but for some reason they have to dance around the issue even though they're direct and blunt with heterosexual characters, like there's some sort of double standard here. I guess it's to be expected from the '90s and it's amazing enough they have them in it all but it would've been nice to have a least one kissing scene with Haruka and Michiru.

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Fri May 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Apologizes to the Mods. Will never happen again.
Last edited by bioengineer on Sun May 18, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat May 17, 2008 9:57 am

But then the series never makes it fully clear if Seiya actually loves Usagi or if he only loves her because she reminds him of Princess Kakyuu and the series is never clear as to what the nature of the relationship between Star Fighter and Kakyuu is, either. The series hints that there may be something more between them but is completely ambiguous about whether they actually have a lesbian relationship or not. Also, the Inners all treat Seiya as a different person from Star Fighter. One could also argue that the series is biased towards people of colored skin, but I'm not sure it is since race issues are never brought up in the series. However, romance is a theme brought up in the series and it seems like the series develops the heterosexual relationships better than the homosexual ones.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat May 17, 2008 12:33 pm

ADMIN MODE:

I'd like to stray away from a whole ethical discussion about race and homosexuality in sailor moon. Feel free to open a new topic discussing such, but don't do it here.

Back on topic.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Tue May 20, 2008 7:29 pm

In R: the episode 71 (For Friendship! Ami and Beruche Clash!) during the chess tournament. When Beruche beats her last two opponents there is a guy and a girl's picture is pushed away as her picture comes up to show she won. When Ami beats her last two opponents the same pictures of the guy and girl are pushed away. But before and after, there are two different pictures.......I dunno. I just saw that while I was watching R recently. I guess it helped cut down some of the overhead during production :roll:
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Wed May 21, 2008 6:31 pm

Anyone find it quite odd (perhaps sad) that Minako is this "Goddess of Love and Beauty" yet has trouble finding a guy?