Idealism and Sailor Moon

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jermyn
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Idealism and Sailor Moon

Post by Jermyn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Sailor Moon as you as know is a very idealistic series with such messages as "The power of love conquers all", "The world is a beautiful place thats worth protecting" and "Never lose faith in yourself, your friends or your dreams". Personally I think it adds to the series charm and makes it all the more wonderful because it manages to have many positive ideas in it about love, friendship and human nature without being heavy-handed about it. (in the original series at least, The Dic dub with it's "Sailor Says" segment on the hand....)

So here is my question for all of you, how do you feel about the idealism in this series?

supersailorearth
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by supersailorearth » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:16 am

Prrsonally I love the idealism in the serries. It is what gives the show it's charm and I think that makes you think. Can things always be done the way usagi manages to do them? She saves the world In a without sacraficig hotaru and that is sometimes why I really like a is because she is so devoted and resolved. It's also really refreshing because if how dark and evil all of the stories right now are. For example I thought the dark night was just really weird In Some places of it in addition to it being really dark. Sailor moon s (again) could Also be described the same way, but the sensiis idealism also makes it really refreshing. So in short I love it and it makes me respect our beloved senshi more:-)

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:40 pm

What I like about the idealism is that to me it isn't overly farfetched. I never find myself saying, "Oh c'mon! That would never happen!" (Ok so it's all fictional but I think you get what I mean). Plus it's not so idealistic that everything is perfect and flawless in the end. Such as the ending of S. Yes, Hotaru is saved, but she is a baby with no memories whatsoever. They could have had her come back the same age with all her memories, but they didn't, and that's what I like about it. There's also the whole deal with Uranus and Neptune not being ok with Sailor Moon's decision and chalanging her to a battle. Uranus and Neptune could have simply just been happy everything was ok and move along. Instead, they end up reacting negatively to Usagi's idealism and I think that was a nice touch as well.

SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:18 pm

Being an idealistic person I love the idealism in the anime/ manga. Its very refreshing to here.

laffinizluv
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by laffinizluv » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:23 pm

While honeslty too much sugar and fairies and pink stuff can get a little irritating, I think Sailor Moon's overall positive message, or idealism, give the series it's charm and charisma as opposed to other series of the same genre.

:)

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:07 am

I like the idealism in the show. It adds alot to Usagi's personality, which is why she is the way she is, especially when she has to make difficult choices. (Such as the end in S)

I find that the manga is a little less idealistic, however. In the case of the Ayakashi Sisters, although they were saved in the anime and lead the viewer to believe, "Oh, they'll probably live happily ever after," in the manga, they're actually killed by the Sailor Senshi, and not spared.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 pm

I think that the idealism in Sailor Moon is one of the best parts about the series. Without it I don't think it would have been as popular. I also agree with the manga not being as idealistic as the anime. It's just one of the strengths of the anime over the manga.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:29 am

I also love the idealism in Sailor Moon but what I love about it is how believable its idealism progresses. Like in the first season, Usagi doesn't really spend much time trying to understand Queen Beryl or trying to heal her of her evil ways. She just fights her to the death instead and Usagi isn't portrayed as being perfect from the start. But as the series progresses, Usagi realizes that perhaps this way of doing things is wrong and that the violence will only continue if they don't try to heal people of their evil instead of killing. Like I still find Usagi's speech in the last episode where she battles Galaxia to be very inspiring where she says [spoiler]that if having the pride of a soldier means killing another, she doesn't want it.[/spoiler]I think the series' anti-violence message that fighting isn't always the answer is refreshing from all the action movies out there where fighting and wars are portrayed as some sort of virtue which is something I've never understood.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Chase Man!
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Few lost souls on the highway of life...

Post by Chase Man! » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:23 pm

I pretty much agree with everyone at this point. One thing I would like to add though...

Another thing I like about the whole idealistic nature in the show is that they don't bang on the subject over and over again, and it lets the audience figure it out along with the characters. Sure, they give reminders throughout the show, but it's not to the point when you scream "ALRIGHT, WE GET IT, SHUT UP ABOUT IT!"