Best incarnation of Mamoru

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Best incarnation of Mamoru

Post by Passions55 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:12 pm

Since we have a best incarnation of Usagi thread I thought it would be cool if I started a best incarnation of Mamoru thread. So how about it, which version of Mamoru was the best in your opinion?

Manga Mamoru

anime Mamoru

American dub Mamoru (Darien)

PGSM Mamoru

Personaly I have a slight soft spot in my heart for American dub Mamoru (Darien). It was my first introduction to the character it self and even though looking back on him I see how he was a not the best representation of him but I got to like him and his spunk. At least that is when he was voiced by the guy who voiced from classic season through most of R. Then when the other voice actor took over for the last few episodes of R and into the S and super S season I founf him really dull and bland.

I didn't really care for PGSM Mamoru very much. For a version of Sailor Moon that was supposed to be closer to it manga representation of it's character I was expecting to see the tender loving yet powerful Mamoru I've heard so much about from the manga. But PGSM Mamoru started off rude with Usagi and didn't change his attitude toward her until he saw she was Sailor Moon. Then he pulled an "anime season R Mamoru" move by torturing Usagi by making her think he's turned against her and breaking her heart. And I was too impressed with his ambivilant semi macho :"if we get married, we get married. If not It's better we find out now before we go through with things" :x

What about every one else?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Manga Mamoru, hands down. He's useful, not an idiot, and nicer to Usagi. I don't like anime Mamoru at all.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:32 am

I say manga Mamoru, not only because is he actually useful, it doesn't seem like he's thrown in only for the series to have a male lead. The anime kind of made it seem that way at times.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:20 am

US dub: no idea

Anime Mamoru is undoubtely one of the worst characters in the entire series. The costumes, the roses, the speeches..everything about him is ridiculous. :? Lijke the Moonlight Knight outfit and the Santa Claus costume. WTF. Not to mention he gets brainwashed every five minutes and lets Rei force him to go on dates with her. What kind of wimp can't even stand up to a 14 year old girl? :roll:

Manga Mamoru is much better, but I was never really interested in his character.
I kind of liked PGSM Mamoru because he seemed less studious and more fun loving and they did different things together like playing games and shopping. I just liked that better than "I love you" repeated one hundred times like in the manga. And I liked his relationship with the generals and that he had his own plans and tried to fight Metalia on his own. Even though I had to laugh when he was FLYING towards Metalia and he looked seriously weird when he was possessed by it. :lol: But the actor is cute :mrgreen:

sailor53
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by sailor53 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:58 pm

I love the manga Mamoru best. He's better looking, smarter, and nicer. Plus he actually had some use. I do like some of the anime Mamoru, but not much.
Remember, every downhill has its uphill.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 pm

Manga Mamoru was more useful and more attractive. The anime gave Mamoru some hideous clothes. I also hated how anime Mamoru went out with Rei and did the whole breaking up thing. I like PGSM Mamoru, maybe not as much as manga but that's because I haven't seen much. Dub Mamoru, well he seemed more cocky than original anime Mamoru.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:09 pm

Manga Mamoru. Though I do like anime Mamoru even if considered "useless". Its not everyday boyfriends can resurrect their girlfriends by just a kiss, give them a power-up mid-battle, and take lethal hit(s) meant for them.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:35 pm

bioengineer wrote:Manga Mamoru. Though I do like anime Mamoru even if considered "useless". Its not everyday boyfriends can resurrect their girlfriends by just a kiss, give them a power-up mid-battle, and take lethal hit(s) meant for them.
True, anime Mamoru did make more sacrifices than manga Mamoru. I love the R movie.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:47 pm

bioengineer wrote:Manga Mamoru. Though I do like anime Mamoru even if considered "useless". Its not everyday boyfriends can resurrect their girlfriends by just a kiss, give them a power-up mid-battle, and take lethal hit(s) meant for them.
and manga Mamoru never did any of this? :?

The thing that bothers me about the way Mamoru and usagi's relationship is depicted in the anime is that every one seems to think that Mamoru is too good for Usagi and that they don't belong together. This might be added for humour but to me it makes it seem like they are saying that Usagi isn't fit to be with him, and Mamoru doesn't really do anything change this. :x When ever Chibi Usa starts tearing into Usagi about how she's not good enough for him he never says anything. And how come it's always Uasgi that never good for him? Every body tells Usagi how lucky she is to have Mamoru and kind of offers Mamoru their condolences that he has a girlfriend like Usagi. Why can't any one ever say that Mamoru is lucky to have some one like Usagi in his life? It's like Mamoru in the anime is just so damn wonderful a guy that Usagi should be lucky just to sweat in his shadow. :?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:20 am

Passions55 wrote:
The thing that bothers me about the way Mamoru and usagi's relationship is depicted in the anime is that every one seems to think that Mamoru is too good for Usagi and that they don't belong together. This might be added for humour but to me it makes it seem like they are saying that Usagi isn't fit to be with him, and Mamoru doesn't really do anything change this. :x When ever Chibi Usa starts tearing into Usagi about how she's not good enough for him he never says anything. And how come it's always Uasgi that never good for him? Every body tells Usagi how lucky she is to have Mamoru and kind of offers Mamoru their condolences that he has a girlfriend like Usagi. Why can't any one ever say that Mamoru is lucky to have some one like Usagi in his life? It's like Mamoru in the anime is just so damn wonderful a guy that Usagi should be lucky just to sweat in his shadow. :?
I agree with you completely. That's part of why I can't stand anime Mamoru. I get sick of everybody telling Usagi how much she doesn't deserve Mamoru, and how much Usagi always raves about Mamoru and his good qualities, but rarely does Mamoru do the same for her. The nicest he is is in Stars, and that's only for a few minutes in the first episode, when he leaves for America, and in the last episode when he re-appears -_-

And hell, Usagi doesn't make sacrifices for him? How many times has she jumped in to rescue him while he's possessed or in trouble with some major villain?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:50 am

Well, there are a couple of episodes in the anime where it's hinted at that Mamoru already knows how lucky he is to have Usagi. One of them happens in SuperS, and if you count it, there's that one part in the R movie. There may have been more, but they are of course so few and far between.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:36 pm

Passions55 wrote: and manga Mamoru never did any of this? :?
Why can't any one ever say that Mamoru is lucky to have some one like Usagi in his life? It's like Mamoru in the anime is just so damn wonderful a guy that Usagi should be lucky just to sweat in his shadow. :?
Never did say manga Mamoru was static. There were several spots where people said Mamoru was lucky to have Usagi especially Saori in SuperS season when she found out she could not compete with Usagi as Mamoru's girlfriend.

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:41 am

Now, it's been a while since I had my hands on the mangas (though with this job of mine, I should likely start looking into getting them off eBay or something, shouldn't I?), so this might be way off-base, but how useful is Mamoru in the manga compared to his anime counterpart? I mean, is he honestly really that much better than he is in the anime?

I remember reading the mangas a long time ago, and I personally wasn't all that impressed with Mamoru's character. He struck me as being rather shallow and wish-fulfillment-esque, with his own abilities and powers that augmented Sailor Moon's perfectly. To me, he really wasn't given a lot of development asides from being "Tuxedo Kamen/Endymion/Usagi's boyfriend", which left him somewhat lacking at the time. (Granted, I'll likely change my mind when I finally do get the mangas and re-read them.) I did enjoy some of his interactions with Usagi; the watch scene in the fourth volume always makes me smile to remember.

I think anime Mamoru is what happens when writers either don't know what to do with a character, or they simply don't like that character. I've read on a number of pages where the show's writers were anything from ambivalent about him to out-and-out disliking him, hence why he gets shafted so badly throughout the series. I think he would have been great in the anime with better development than the sledgehammer to the head subtlety he was treated to.

PGSM Mamoru I'm rather fond of. He seems an interesting blend of the two that gives him a bit more depth than either media by itself.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:42 pm

It goes without saying that to me Manga Mamoru wins this hands down.

1. His character had more powers and actually got to use attacks in the book more then he did in the anime. I mean the rose throwing was cute in the first season then after that kinda got tiring to me at least.

2. He was closer in age to Usagi in the books and acted more affectionate with her especially after their past memories were remembered. But to me it wasnt as needy or dependant as the anime had it. They loved and respected each other he commented on her strengths, it killed him when she risked herself constantly. And the arc where she sacrifices herself to beat Pharaoh 90 the look of pain in his eyes showed the amount of love he had for her.

3. His character when under the influence of Metallia was waay darker and way more believable then it was in the anime. Oh man when I read the things he did while trying to find the silver crystal for the dark kingdom, compared to the wishy washy things they had him do in the anime I was giddy. When Mamoru is good hes very good but when hes a bad boy hes ooh so better hehe.

4. to me him proposing in stars seemed more plausible going by the manga storyline then it did the anime. By the anime's standards as others had put it Mamoru came off as being too good for someone like Usagi. Even if they were supposedly destined to marry it felt forced in the anime after awhile. While he continued to mature go to college to study medicine, Usagi outside her duties as Sailormoon continued to be a boy crazy ditz in the anime version and to me that just didnt add up to a couple that made any amount of sense. And add that he was cold to her off and on and broke her heart bad in R I could see why so many people were routing for her to magically fall for Seiya in Stars.

Basically since Ive not really gotten into psgm manga mamoru is definately my favorite incarnation. I prefer his affectionate Odango san to Meatball head anyday.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....