What if another company had dubbed Sailor Moon?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:49 am

Post by Aya Reiko » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:33 am

Here's my answer. It is the right answer. There is no room for disagreement. My answer is...

Almost nothing would have been different.
And that due to one reason: Note who did the dub work: Optimum Productions. They did both DiC's and Cloverway's releases.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Post by HighC » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Um other than the voices and the releases I thought Cloverway and Dic were in control of scripts, music,editing stuff like that. If everything was because of Optimum what is Dic and Cloverway for?

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:01 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:Here's my answer. It is the right answer. There is no room for disagreement. My answer is...

Almost nothing would have been different.
And that due to one reason: Note who did the dub work: Optimum Productions. They did both DiC's and Cloverway's releases.
ADMIN MODE:

Okay, the holier-than-thou attitude at the beginning of this post was unnecessary. You could have brought your point across in a much more polite way.

Also, obviously there were differences between the dubs done of classic and R than of S and SuperS. Otherwise, we wouldn't have had different background music, voices, attack names, etc. It is far easier to label these different dubs as "The DiC dub" and "The Cloverway dub", regardless of getting into whether or not Optimum Productions was involved in both.

Find ways to get your points across without coming off as an arrogant know it all, please.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Post by HighC » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:07 pm

What does Optimum do anyways? They hire the voice actors and do the recordings there right? Which would be why both DIC and Cloverway had a lot of the same voice actors?

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:36 pm

Okay, I know this post is old but I feel like contributing.

Nelvana would obviously not allow the Haruka/Michiru relationship. They would probably make Tuxedo Kamen part of the team (Like how they made Li a cardcaptor when he's not) They would probably have BGM that's all rock and roll like to make it appeal to boys.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:40 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HjkUZcFcMU

That's the link to the Australian CCS opening if anyone's curious.

The SM episode where Usagi uses the pen to transform into a princess would be cut because it's too girly.

Instead of throwing girly roses , Tuxedo Mask would hurl darts at ppl. (Think of the Pokemon edit with riceballs)
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:12 pm

Didn't Nelvana make Chiharu and Yamazuki related instead of two kids that just really liked each other? Well if they did, then Nelvana would have made Naru and Umino related somehow. Nelvana would also cut any hint of Usagi going crazy for Motoki and Tuxedo Kamen.
Last edited by AnimatedEvey12 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm

What if another company had dubbed Sailor Moon?

Post by HighC » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 pm

4Kids:

THere's already a what if Nelvana dub them so what about the worse dubbing company of all time?

Tuxedo Mask would be voiced by Dan Green

They might actually keep Sailor Soldiers

Even crappier and blander music than DICs

All the characters would bash Usagi more than they really do

Rei would be even more of a bitch

The Sailor Soldiers would talk about friendship all the time!

The attacks would be changed to sound more like magical commands such as Moon Tiara fly and vanquish this evil! Mercury Bubbles conceal us in a mist! Mars Fire attack this foe! Jupiter thunder stike the enemy! Venus beam blast your target!

One of the characters would have a british voice for no reason

Duh Zoycite would be changed into a woman.

Lots and lots of dumb puns

No japanese writing at all

They would basically skip Nephrite's death episode and just have him reform and leave the show giving people false hope that he would come back some day. Or have the masquerade episode be his last one and say when they defeated his shadow they defeated him


A lot of episodes would probably be skipped to get to the whole team faster


Mamoru wouldn't get a cut making everything really confusing

Tuxedo Mask wasn't penetrated by that icicle thing. Zoicite just has the mental powers to inure Tuxedo Mask

They would flat out tell you this show takes place in America,

Beryl didn't kill Zoictie she merely sent her back to the other demension and no final moments between Zoicite and Kunzite

Sailor Moon doesn't kill Malachite just sends him back to the other dimension

Of course they merge the two part season finale together. And the Sailor Soldiers were either sent to the other other dimension or Luna and Artemis managed to send them back home safe and sound in the nick of time.

Almost all of the villains voices would sound over the top evil.

Ail and Anne really are brother and sister and there not in love

Prince Demando isn't in love with Neo Queen Serenity just wants her silver crystal

Neptune and Uranus aren't lesbians their sisters or cousins

Victims aren't in any danger of dying they would just be in a coma until their heart crystals return

No deadly silence just some generic trying to rule the world stuff



The Tokyo Tower would be called the radio tower

Kaolinite didn't die they would have someone say she mysteriously disappeared off the radar

The episodes were Neptune and Uranus lose their pure hearts would be edited into one.

Mimette didn't take out Eudial's brake and Eudial doesn't down she just leaves towns and quits.

The outers would have no intention of killing Hotaru

The episode revealing Hotaru as Saturn would cut out the Outers Assault on Hotaru and just go straight to her passing out and disapparing

Pluto doesn't die just returns to the future to deal with the consequences of breaking the rule

Change Fish Eye into a woman ummm duh?

Don't have the Trio look inside their victims mirrors to get rid of the rape metaphor.

The Three Lights and The Sailor Star lights are twins.

The Sailor Soldiers don't die their just sent to Galaxia's demension

No hand holding between Neptune and Uranus.

Eternal Nude Sailor Moon is censored with her princess dress or something.

ADMIN MODE:

Edited by admin to create new topic.

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:16 pm

ADMIN MODE:

I'm going to go ahead and merge every "What if *insert dub company here* dubbed sailor moon?" post into one topic. The Nelvana, 4 Kids, and Cloverway topics are now within this one topic. Please continue discussion here.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:43 am

I imagine Dan Green would be in there somewhere but I think his voice is too deep for Mamoru. Perhaps one of the generals? I think Jason Griffiths would be placed as Mamoru, all the senshi would sound the same with valley girl dialect and the insert songs would, of course, be generic and repetitive.
Last edited by Iced_Cappucino on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Post by HighC » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:58 am

Iced_Cappucino wrote:4kids should be called 4uked up. I imagine Dan Green would be in there somewhere but I think his voice is too deep for Mamoru. Perhaps one of the generals? I think Jason Griffiths would be placed as Mamoru, all the senshi would sound the same with valley girl dialect and the insert songs would, of course, be generic and repetitive.
Even if Dan Green's voice is to deep for Mamoru do you 4sucks cares?

User avatar
Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Even if Dan Green's voice is to deep for Mamoru do you 4sucks cares?
Don't be a troll.

And if you must know I do happen to care whether his voice is too deep or not. It wouldn't suit the character.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:50 pm

ADMIN MODE:

Don't be too snarky to eachother.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Post by HighC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:
Even if Dan Green's voice is to deep for Mamoru do you 4sucks cares?
Don't be a troll.

And if you must know I do happen to care whether his voice is too deep or not. It wouldn't suit the character.
My apologizies for you getting the wrong message I wasn't trying to be a jerk towards you I was taking a jab at 4kids saying even if Dan Green's voice is all wrong for Mamoru they would still use it probably because that's how bad 4kids. I forgot to type think in between you and 4sucks

User avatar
Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:06 am

HighC wrote:
Iced_Cappucino wrote:
Even if Dan Green's voice is to deep for Mamoru do you 4sucks cares?
Don't be a troll.

And if you must know I do happen to care whether his voice is too deep or not. It wouldn't suit the character.
My apologizies for you getting the wrong message I wasn't trying to be a jerk towards you I was taking a jab at 4kids saying even if Dan Green's voice is all wrong for Mamoru they would still use it probably because that's how bad 4kids. I forgot to type think in between you and 4sucks
I apologise too, we both just misunderstood each other.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:05 pm

4kids would also:
Make Minako and Usagi valley girls.
All the girls would talk about is shopping and friendship as you have mentioned.
4kids would probably keep the romance in, unlike Nelvana.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:35 pm

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:19 am

if Disney had dubbed Sailormoon we would have to endure really bad songs before every battle, and Mamoru would love Usagi simply because she is beautiful, there would be no further depth to their relationship then that. Also Luna would be the comedy relief.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

User avatar
Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:if Disney had dubbed Sailormoon we would have to endure really bad songs before every battle, and Mamoru would love Usagi simply because she is beautiful, there would be no further depth to their relationship then that. Also Luna would be the comedy relief.
They'd also throw in tons of canned laughter as children are stupid and have to be told what's funny.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Locked