What if another company had dubbed Sailor Moon?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

What if Nelvana had dubbed Sailor Moon?

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:44 pm

Nelvana is an infamous company known for dubbing Cardcaptor Sakura into English. When they brought the series over here to the States, they wanted to gain more boy fans than girl fans by focusing more on the action instead of the plot and characters, so they skipped/combined many episodes to focus more on the action, as well as making other hidieous cuts and changes. Comparing Sailor Moon's English adaption to Cardcaptor Sakura's, I'd have to say Cardcaptor Sakura had it even worse than Sailor Moon, so I was wondering what Sailor Moon could've been like if Nelvana had dubbed it into English instead of DiC.

I think they probably would've skipped the first 25 episodes and started with episode 26, to focus on Mamoru's search for the Rainbow Crystals and the Silver Crystal. Of course, anything comical would've had to be cut out, like the numerous jokes in episode 29. Mamoru also would've been made to be completly snobby to Usagi the entire time. So, Mamoru being nice to Usagi in episode 34 would've had to be changed to him being rude, but he can't do it in any comical way either, so his nickname for her, "odango atama" would have to be cut out, too.

Any bits of romance would have to be removed since Nelvana knows ALL boys don't like romance (*notes the sarcasm*). So, Endymion and Serenity would only be friends in the Silver Millienium instead of lovers and Queen Beryl wanted to "send them to the Negaverse" because she wanted to be their friend, too. Even after finding out they were "bestest friends" in the Silver Millienium, Mamoru would still be snobby to Usagi until towards the very end of the series when he finally realizes she can be a "Sailor Scout" and he starts to be her "bestest friend."

Rei would also be made into a complete valleygirl snob and changed to being Usagi's "rival." Any scenes where Rei was actually nice to Usagi, like in episode 38, would've been cut or have the dialog rewritten so that Rei is putting Usagi down. Rei now will ALWAYS try to be the leader of the team and everything she says will be about her being the leader. Also, whenever the girls have any freetime outside the battling, all they'll talk about will be how "wicked cool" it is to be superheroes and not have a social life at all. So, what else do you think Nelvana would've done to Sailor Moon if they chose to dub it into English?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:07 pm

Well, I've never seen either version of CCS, but I can guess a few things from what you've said and I've heard:
(these are assuming they'd do the S, SuperS, and SailorStars seasons too)
-Haruka and the Starlights would all be boys but the Senshi would be their twin sisters, like in the Italian dub.
-Pegasus would be said to have a sword on his head--boys don't like girly animals like unicorns, even if said unicorn is male!
-In SuperS the girls would say their dreams are to be warriors instead of all the other things they said they wanted to be. Though Rei's dream of being a businessperson might still slide since that's stereotypically "masculine."
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Strawbaby
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Strawbaby » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:48 am

It's quite amazing to hear about Nelvana's CCS chop - over here in Australia they aired the international dub and it was completely different, that is to say, exactly the same. We copped the horrible voices but almost nothing was cut or edited in terms of visuals or storylines. We even had, shock horror, the original opening with a decent English version of Catch You Catch Me. I wonder why they couldn't have put that as an audio track on an uncut DVD release, but nevertheless.

Anyway, you forgot to mention how the new opening would include ugly CG objects flying around and a theme song far, far worse than that one Sailor Moon got. I'd say Molly would become far more irritating, like Madison did, but that's pretty much impossible. And we can't have pure heart crystals, that's far too girly. (What could they be that's more masculine?) In SuperS, those aren't dream mirrors coming out of people. Noooo... they're... uh... windows to another dimension! :shock:

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:05 pm

*is ready to send a barrage of quantum torpedoes to rain down on Nelvana* That's for screwing up "Cardcaptor Sakura". Fraggin' batiches. :evil:
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:23 am

[offtopic]Strawbaby, it's great to see another Aussie here.

And Rainbow, now ypu've just put the theme from The Last Unicorn in my head.[/offtopic]

Anyway, we should not also forget the fact that every single one of the characters would be renamed to something American that kids would get.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:54 pm

Nelvana did the cartoon "Beetlejuice"(based on the movie "Beetlejuice") so I have to hold off blowing Nelvana to atoms. (favorite Beetlejuice ep was "Poultrygeist")
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:32 pm

This may be off-topic, but I had to respond here. DiC also produced great cartoons like Inspector Gadget, but really sucked when they dubbed Sailor Moon. Just because a company can produce their own great cartoon doesn't mean they can dub cartoons produced by other companies well. Of course, this is just my opinion...
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:28 am

They also did Tintin and Pippi. Can't go wrong there.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

What if Cloverway had dubbed all of Sailor Moon?

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:28 pm

In contrast to an earlier thread, "What if DiC had dubbed all of Sailor Moon", this topic asks the same question but for Cloverway. I think they would've dubbed all the episodes DiC skipped and would've kept all the Japanese music, too. I also think they would've kept all the names in Japanese rather than changing them to English names. I'm not sure if Cloverway would've combined episodes 45 and 46 or not though, and I don't know what they'd do with Sailor Stars. However, they'd probably end up changing Chibi-Chibi's name to something like "Mini-Mini." So, what do you think the English adaption of Sailor Moon would've been like if Cloverway dubbed the entire series?

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:10 pm

Personally, I would think the dub would be pretty good. The main problem I saw with the CWI dub, was that it seemed to stay consistant with the DIC dub, and the Japanese script too. Or maybe that's just me.

I really doubt all the names being changed, and attack mix up would have been there.

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:29 pm

It's hard to say. There are several ways the storyline in Stars could be changed so that it would be 'appropriate' for the english audience. I've heard in European dubs, to 'fix' the Starlights' gender transformation, there were two things that was done. I can't decide if these need spoilers, so I'm adding the spoiler tags anyways.

First off, I've heard in the German dub, they turned the Three Lights and the Starlights into twins. The problem with that though is later in the series, [spoiler]we learn that the Three Lights are really the Sailor Starlights. [/spoiler]So we might as well cut out the entire airplane scene -_-

Another alternative that was done is making the Starlights tomboyish girls the entire time. Here's the other problem. [spoiler]While Mamoru was away, Usagi had a relationship with Seiya. If they made Seiya a girl, then it would make their relationship a lesbian one, so that would need to be cut. [/spoiler]
Either way, both of these 'solutions' would totally screw up the plot of Sailor Stars.

SailorSpace
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorSpace » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:43 pm

RoastedTwinkies wrote:It's

Another alternative that was done is making the Starlights tomboyish girls the entire time.
Then why didn't they make Haruka a tomboyish girl? It would have worked better, right? Sure beats having Michiru and Haruka cousins. -_-

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:35 pm

RoastedTwinkies wrote:
Another alternative that was done is making the Starlights tomboyish girls the entire time. Here's the other problem. [spoiler]While Mamoru was away, Usagi had a relationship with Seiya. If they made Seiya a girl, then it would make their relationship a lesbian one, so that would need to be cut. [/spoiler]
Either way, both of these 'solutions' would totally screw up the plot of Sailor Stars.
They weren't really in a relationship, more than friendship. They weren't a couple. Seiya has unrequited love feelings for Usagi, and Usagi felt a bit of something for Seiya, but was still in love with Mamoru. So the only lesbian thing about that would be the scene where Seiya kisses her cheek. That's it. You could easily work around the rest of it without making it seem lesbian.
Then why didn't they make Haruka a tomboyish girl? It would have worked better, right? Sure beats having Michiru and Haruka cousins. -_-
And how would they have explained the hand-holding, the closeness, and so forth? That would have brought the lesbian part into play. By making them relatives, that at least gave some shred of explanation (however weak it may have been) as to why Michiru and Haruka were holding hands, and were very close. Her being a tomboyish girl would have been confusing when it came time for the famous hand-holding scene before Michiru's death.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

SailorSpace
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorSpace » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:11 am

Tiff wrote:
And how would they have explained the hand-holding, the closeness, and so forth? That would have brought the lesbian part into play. By making them relatives, that at least gave some shred of explanation (however weak it may have been) as to why Michiru and Haruka were holding hands, and were very close. Her being a tomboyish girl would have been confusing when it came time for the famous hand-holding scene before Michiru's death.
Oh yeah... Gomenasai, I forgot about that part. ^^;; Thank you, Tiffu ^^;;

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:34 am

RoastedTwinkies wrote:First off, I've heard in the German dub, they turned the Three Lights and the Starlights into twins. The problem with that though is later in the series, [spoiler]we learn that the Three Lights are really the Sailor Starlights. [/spoiler]So we might as well cut out the entire airplane scene -_-
That's the Italian dub, the German dub, from what I've seen and heard is uncut. No trouble with nudity or anything. (Shoot, nude Usagi is even in the opening!)

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:17 pm

Umino wrote: That's the Italian dub, the German dub, from what I've seen and heard is uncut. No trouble with nudity or anything. (Shoot, nude Usagi is even in the opening!)
Oops, my mistake ^^ At least I got my point accross ^__^;;;

WarriorPlutoII
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by WarriorPlutoII » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:17 pm

Im thinkin that the dub on the whole wouldve been closer to the original, with moderate changes (I would hope)

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:27 pm

I think they probably would have kept the names, or maybe do as Mixx did and change Usagi to Bunny. Many times during S and SuperS, I felt they were translating certain things out of inertia rather than any kind of decision. But I think they still would have made Zoisite a woman. There would still be criticism of the dub, but probably not on the order of SMU.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:51 am

I think the only difference would be in keeping in the Japanese music, and keeping in a couple of the skipped episodes from season one. Everything else would be the same, as Optimum dubbed all 4 seasons and the movies anyway, both under DiC and Cloverway's control.

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:30 pm

This is what I think would happen

Different names but the original japenese names wouldn't necessarily be kept.

The original BGM music would be kept

The show would be far less inconsitent because they wouldn't have one writer trying to stay faithful to the original and another writer trying to stay faithful to Dic.

All the attack names will be kept

The Make-up part will be kept or changed to transform. So it would be for example Moon Prism Power transform!

Lots of bad slang

No skipped episodes.

Zoicite would either be a girl like what Dic did or him and Kunzite would become brothers because we all know how Cloverway gets hot off incest.

The Sailor Senshi wouldn't get captured by "the Negaverse" rather Cloverway would just dance around the fact they died most likey pull a Namek saga and insert heavy breathing to make it appear that the senshi are still alive. Although it's possible that they wouldn't hide the fact that they died.

The Black Moon would become the Dark Moon and Black Lady would be Dark Lady or Evil Lady.

The insert songs for the most part would be kept but badly translated into english.